Chromecast won't connect to router or phone hotspot wireless AP

Search This thread

phanboy4

May 26, 2011
So I got my Chromecast from Amazon, got it hooked up and tried several times to set it up via Chrome on an iPad. It can see my AP but it gets stuck on the "Connecting to...." screen, and then eventually goes back to the code entry display screen without completing.

So I tried the Win7 app, same problem. I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700v2, no issues with it ever. AP isolation is off, tried with NAT off and on, etc.

Then I tried with my phone hotspot, same issue. Can see, but gets stuck on 'Connecting to .....' screen and then goes back to code entry display.

If I'm having the same issue with 2 different hotspots, should I just get a replacement, or am I missing something? I'm thinking replacement at this point.

NyPlaya513

Dec 27, 2010
New York
So I got my Chromecast from Amazon, got it hooked up and tried several times to set it up via Chrome on an iPad. It can see my AP but it gets stuck on the "Connecting to...." screen, and then eventually goes back to the code entry display screen without completing.

So I tried the Win7 app, same problem. I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700v2, no issues with it ever. AP isolation is off, tried with NAT off and on, etc.

Then I tried with my phone hotspot, same issue. Can see, but gets stuck on 'Connecting to .....' screen and then goes back to code entry display.

If I'm having the same issue with 2 different hotspots, should I just get a replacement, or am I missing something? I'm thinking replacement at this point.
im having a similar issue with my phones hotspot. even if it does randomly connect, it acts as though it doesnt.

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
no problems connecting to a router (RT-N16, Tomato firmware)

no problems connecting to phone hotspot (Oppo Find 5, CM10.1)

PatCampbell

Jul 30, 2013

I also had this issue initially..I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR4700....Note: Chromecaste only works on the 2.4 GHz.
// Atleast thats the case for now??

dzotx

Apr 3, 2008
What encryption are you guys using? I had to manually enter SSID and encryption type before I can get it to connect. My router uses WPA2/AES.

calypsoe36

Aug 12, 2010
WNDR3700v2 here as well. Not sure if that's the common link, but Chromecast won't connect either. Tried several tablets/phones, many resets and changed every router setting I could find.

I can go through the setup process then the Chromecast hangs at the "Connecting to [AP name]" message. If I use another mobile device, I can see that about 50% of the time the Chromecast is actually available and functional. It works for a couple minutes then loses connection. At this point, it must be factory reset to become functional again. I must start the setup again. I think my problem is that I can't 'officially' complete the setup process.

I have tried disabling the 5 GHz band, disabling security, used the power brick, etc. I've used various TVs too, including one right next to the router.

EDIT: Finally! After a billion attempts, it successfully completed the setup process. I used the web setup (no app) with broadcast SSID enabled. I literally tried this exact setup 10x, but it worked this one time.

Last edited:

jptech

May 13, 2009
Miami
WNDR3700v2 here as well. Not sure if that's the common link, but Chromecast won't connect either. Tried several tablets/phones, many resets and changed every router setting I could find.

I can go through the setup process then the Chromecast hangs at the "Connecting to [AP name]" message. If I use another mobile device, I can see that about 50% of the time the Chromecast is actually available and functional. It works for a couple minutes then loses connection. At this point, it must be factory reset to become functional again. I must start the setup again. I think my problem is that I can't 'officially' complete the setup process.

I have tried disabling the 5 GHz band, disabling security, used the power brick, etc. I've used various TVs too, including one right next to the router.

EDIT: Finally! After a billion attempts, it successfully completed the setup process. I used the web setup (no app) with broadcast SSID enabled. I literally tried this exact setup 10x, but it worked this one time.

I've tried everything I can.

I have a dlink DGL-4500 with a DAP-1360 plugged into it in AP mode. I was able to connect it on the main router but it lost connection and I had to hard reset it. It will not connect over the AP at all. The dlink comes with a setting called wlan partition. That is disabled. I have no setting for ap isolation.

phanboy4

May 26, 2011
Ok, solved this one for my issue but it's router specific.

If you have a Netgear WNDR3700v2, there was a firmware upgrade 1.0.0.32 that broke wireless isolation, such that it was always enabled even if you turned isolation off in the router settings.

Unfortunately .32 also broke upgrades for me, so I had to manually reset and apply the 1.0.0.36 firmware (latest version) using this procedure: http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=446539&postcount=39

If you read the release notes for .36 you'll see they fixed a bug relating to wireless isolation. I can confirm that fixed it for me. Again, this is specific to this particular make/model router, if yours doesn't work after turning off wireless isolation it's due to some other issue.

Reactions: sacwoo

calypsoe36

Aug 12, 2010

If you have a Netgear WNDR3700v2, there was a firmware upgrade 1.0.0.32 that broke wireless isolation, such that it was always enabled even if you turned isolation off in the router settings.

Unfortunately .32 also broke upgrades for me, so I had to manually reset and apply the 1.0.0.36 firmware (latest version) using this procedure: http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=446539&postcount=39

If you read the release notes for .36 you'll see they fixed a bug relating to wireless isolation. I can confirm that fixed it for me. Again, this is specific to this particular make/model router, if yours doesn't work after turning off wireless isolation it's due to some other issue.

Interesting. I'm running the .32 firmware too and I saw the release note concerning isolation. I'll check out the steps to manually update the firmware and give it a shot.

I was able to get the Chromecast setup, but my mobile devices can only interact with it intermittently. The wireless isolation bug would be a logical culprit.

phanboy4

May 26, 2011
Interesting. I'm running the .32 firmware too and I saw the release note concerning isolation. I'll check out the steps to manually update the firmware and give it a shot.

I was able to get the Chromecast setup, but my mobile devices can only interact with it intermittently. The wireless isolation bug would be a logical culprit.

Should help, just make sure to unplug/reset the Chromecast after doing the upgrade.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Chromecast connects, but Win 8 Chromecast app doesn't see device

I have already connected my chromecast to my home network (Linksys E2000). Problem I am having is that I had to use my Nexus 7 or my phone to see the wifi network. Once I fire up the Chromecast app through Windows 8, it says "Wifi needs to be turned on for the Chromecast App to work." Well, my computer is connected to the network as well as the chromecast to the same router. Why doesn't it see the app?

Can anyone help me with this?

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I have already connected my chromecast to my home network (Linksys E2000). Problem I am having is that I had to use my Nexus 7 or my phone to see the wifi network. Once I fire up the Chromecast app through Windows 8, it says "Wifi needs to be turned on for the Chromecast App to work." Well, my computer is connected to the network as well as the chromecast to the same router. Why doesn't it see the app?

EDIT: My computer is connected to the E2000 via ethernet hardwire

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

EDIT: My computer is connected to the E2000 via ethernet hardwire

UPDATE: I figured out the problem. I guess it doesn't recognize devices plugged in through ethernet, the chromecast can only be seen by wireless dongles on the same router.

Last edited:

jptech

May 13, 2009
Miami
I can confirm for certain, chromecast will definitely not work with the dlink dap-1360 even on my network. I unplugged the AP and my chromecast connected the very second the dap-1360 was unplugged.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

usil

Oct 29, 2010
D'LINK DAP-1522 AP issues

I have a D'Link DAP-1522 setup as an AP configured to WPA2-AES. When I try to connect the Chromecast it fails to connect to my network. However if I turn off all security it connects just fine. Any ideas?

Update: I was able to connect to the Chromecast by creating a Guest Zone with the following settings:
Security Mode: WPA Personal
WPA Mode: WPA Only
Cipher Type: AES
Disabled Guest Zones Client Isolation
Enabled Routing between Zones

Don't think I like this as a permanent solution but it is a work around.

Last edited:

j'vai

Apr 23, 2014
wash dc
I bought one last night, went into one of the guest bedrooms to play around with it, in about 15 minutes got it going.

it works beautifully with the nexus 5,

the work was with debian casting the whole desktop to play native files (videos, music, etc) I had the drop my firewall rules to allow uPnP incoming connections from the chromecast, which my firewall frontend was blocking because of my ruleset, so after disabling, *BAM* -
https://plus.google.com/100566062990321750433/posts/8YrRkYFMHk1

other than that, chrome tab casting on Linux works nicely for things like youtube ..

Last edited:

krizz07

Mar 3, 2010
I had issues being stuck to the connecting screen whenever i switch to a different network since i use the same device to a different house - which btw i still find trivial up until this day that the chromecast is unable to save multiple network ssid/password.

Anyway, clearing the app data or reinstalling the chromecast app from my phone helps resolve the problem. Maybe you can put it from your list of diagnostic tests.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.