Help me decide: Note 10.1 or Tab Pro 10.1

Search This thread

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
I've had a Tab 10.1 since it's introduction in 2011. On an impulse, last Friday I purchased a Note 12.2 from Best Buy. I'm not real thrilled with the 12.2 behemoth. It's too heavy and unwieldy to hold and be comfortable. I'm taking it back. I've decided that 10.1 is the size for me.

So, I'm torn. Should I get the Note 10.1 (2014) or the Tab Pro? I want 32gb not 16gb so I'd have to wait for the Tab Pro version with 32Gb to be released (only the 16gb is being shipped now.)

If I get the Note 10.1 will I be buying older technology? Will it be laggy as some have said? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Note 10.1 compared to the Tab Pro 10.1?

One thing I do like about the Note 12.2 is that the speakers are LOUD, something I didn't have with the Original Tab. Are the speakers good in the Note 10.1?

(Don't sell me on the pen, I won't use it. I had a Note 2 and now a Note 3 and the pen never comes out.)

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
Well, if you never use the pen, the tabPro may be for you. However, given the identical price points, the note 10.1 has better specs AND the added value of the spen, it may make the note a better overall value.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
We know for sure the N10.1-14 is getting both M-UX and 4.4. Since it's not a "Pro" it probably won't get the additional Pro features which are Hancom Office, 6 months of WebEx, SideSync 3.0, Remote PC, and e-Meeting. You can side load Hancom Office as explained in the apps sub-forum. You can download WebEx yourself so the value's in the six free months. Samsung's announced SideSync 3.0 is going to be free to all Samsung Android device owners. RSUPPORT makes Samsung's remote PC app and you can download it free from Play. So the only Pro "exclusive" is e-Meeting which only works with other Pro devices. So in the end, the N10.1-14 and Tab|Pro 10.1 will/can be almost identical s/w wise.

They are identical h/w wise with the exception being the N10.1-14 has an additional 1GB of RAM. But all the inking and S Pen related stuff you said you don't use probably consumes the extra memory. The N10.1-14 has a menu capacitive button which will probably be carried over in 4.4 so the new task button on the Tab|Pro is the only physical difference. The N10.1-14 with 4.4/M-UX and Tab|Pro 10.1 should perform exactly like the N12 you had because while the display on the latter's bigger the PPI's been reduced so all three are pushing an identical amount of pixels and use identical h/w.

So it comes down to availability and price. With the price being so similar between the N10.1-14 and Tab|Pro 10.1 I think a lot of people will go for the former; especially once the s/w's upgraded. I'd question the volume of Tab|Pro's sold at the iPad prices Samsung's asking so that could affect development support.

Good luck deciding...

Reactions: johnnyPPK

trimalchioinwestegg

Aug 17, 2012
Well, the Tab pro only has 2gb of ram compared to 3gb on the Note. The Note will get Kitkat soon. Processors seem to both be 1.9ghz. I'm not really seeing a difference here except for the pen. Personally I don't use the pen either and I also have a Note 3.

frankdanktank

Jan 27, 2014
Ram is only relevent on having more apps open at the same time which is needed with notes multitasking abilities.
If u dont need the pen go ahead and get the tab pro. It has better gpu i believe.
S pen was a seller for me since i love it for use for school

kevroc

Feb 20, 2006
I've had a Tab 10.1 since it's introduction in 2011. On an impulse, last Friday I purchased a Note 12.2 from Best Buy. I'm not real thrilled with the 12.2 behemoth. It's too heavy and unwieldy to hold and be comfortable. I'm taking it back. I've decided that 10.1 is the size for me.

So, I'm torn. Should I get the Note 10.1 (2014) or the Tab Pro? I want 32gb not 16gb so I'd have to wait for the Tab Pro version with 32Gb to be released (only the 16gb is being shipped now.)

If I get the Note 10.1 will I be buying older technology? Will it be laggy as some have said? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Note 10.1 compared to the Tab Pro 10.1?

One thing I do like about the Note 12.2 is that the speakers are LOUD, something I didn't have with the Original Tab. Are the speakers good in the Note 10.1?

(Don't sell me on the pen, I won't use it. I had a Note 2 and now a Note 3 and the pen never comes out.)

I had the 12.2 from BB as well, went to the 8 which turned out to be too small so I'm getting the Note 10.1 2014. I will say though I sometimes miss that 12.2. Yes it was heavy, yes it was a bit awkward, but it really felt like a beast of a machine. It felt as if you could actually get stuff done on it versus just doing some browsing/reading. The Note 8 just has such tiny text in places and the UI elements on some things are just not designed for that resolution/screen size. The 10.1 seems like an ideal size, but if that 12.2 had cellular as an option (like my 10.1 will have) I probably would've kept it. Also, 16gb yes, it's not enough. With the note 8 I was getting low mem warnings and didn't really have it long, so 32gb would be the minimum.

You may want to think on that 12.2 a bit more. The 12.2 also has the USB 3.0 and the now standard button layout (across their pro line). The 10.1 will get upgraded, but who knows when and what that will actually look like. There's also the charging times. I've been reading about 6+ hour charge times fro the note 10.1-14, not sure about the 12.2, but with the USB 3 it probably charges faster.

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
To put it simply, if you plan on writing hand written notes, go with the the note. It's great for students or productivity. If not, get the tab. The specs are almost identical.

golfinggino

Nov 23, 2011
burlington, on
i have the 2014 note 10.1 and it is great - portable but still a good size - i buy too many devices and i went to purchase the pro 8.4 on sunday from best buy but they wouldnt sell it to me - told me it was not available for sale until this friday ( i was at the cashier with the tablet in my hand lol ) i guess that is a good thing cause i really wanted the 12.2 - i was going to buy that one as well when it arrived at best buy this friday ( i am in canada btw ) i think the 12.2 would be perfect i had the asus 18.4 android / windows 8 tablet before that was massive but the screen was not good - they should have not sold it with a 1080p screen with that size it didnt look good at all ! on a side note i have the lenovo yoga 2 pro windows 8 ultrabook and that has the best screen i have ever seen on laptop or tablet - really wish it was android rather then windows though then it would have been awesome instead of just great

Sudbury78

Jan 1, 2013
I'll add my input. I bought the 8.4 on release day and used it for a week. Having a note 3, I thought the 8.4 was too close to the size and felt pointless to me. I am now using the note 10.1 2014. Bought it yesterday and was going to box it up and return it today and buy the 8.4 again. Lol. So here I am using the note still and actually liking it now. I want the 4.4 on this before I can really make a decision ( thank god for best buy elite). I felt the extra gig of ram was worth it for me as I felt the 8.4 was sluggish when I pushed it. My note 3 is a champ. Will I see a real difference I don't know.

I thought maybe getting the pro 10.1 but I figured for the ram and the pen IF I ever use it it's there and same price. Gosh don't we have such problems deciding on a tablet.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

ddavtian

Apr 17, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
The Note. It has triple the ram and the stylus with Wacom digitizer all for the same price. Sort of a no brainer imo. Not sure who would be the Tab Pro.

It's 3Gb vs. 2Gb, that's not triple.

I do have Note 10.1 2014 since release day, great device. It doesn't take 6 hours to charge, and USB 3.0 does not make difference in charging. I got also the 8.4, to replace Note 8.0, nice combination of large screen for work and a smaller one for reading.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for your replies. I returned the Note Pro 12.2 and purchased the Note 10.1 (2014). It feels much better albeit physically smaller than my original Tab 10.1.

Reactions: Geordie Affy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We know for sure the N10.1-14 is getting both M-UX and 4.4. Since it's not a "Pro" it probably won't get the additional Pro features which are Hancom Office, 6 months of WebEx, SideSync 3.0, Remote PC, and e-Meeting. You can side load Hancom Office as explained in the apps sub-forum. You can download WebEx yourself so the value's in the six free months. Samsung's announced SideSync 3.0 is going to be free to all Samsung Android device owners. RSUPPORT makes Samsung's remote PC app and you can download it free from Play. So the only Pro "exclusive" is e-Meeting which only works with other Pro devices. So in the end, the N10.1-14 and Tab|Pro 10.1 will/can be almost identical s/w wise.

They are identical h/w wise with the exception being the N10.1-14 has an additional 1GB of RAM. But all the inking and S Pen related stuff you said you don't use probably consumes the extra memory. The N10.1-14 has a menu capacitive button which will probably be carried over in 4.4 so the new task button on the Tab|Pro is the only physical difference. The N10.1-14 with 4.4/M-UX and Tab|Pro 10.1 should perform exactly like the N12 you had because while the display on the latter's bigger the PPI's been reduced so all three are pushing an identical amount of pixels and use identical h/w.

So it comes down to availability and price. With the price being so similar between the N10.1-14 and Tab|Pro 10.1 I think a lot of people will go for the former; especially once the s/w's upgraded. I'd question the volume of Tab|Pro's sold at the iPad prices Samsung's asking so that could affect development support.

Good luck deciding...
    Thanks for your replies. I returned the Note Pro 12.2 and purchased the Note 10.1 (2014). It feels much better albeit physically smaller than my original Tab 10.1.