AdAway - what am I missing?

Search This thread

Myk Robinson

Feb 10, 2014
www.kingdomcomputer.info
Evening. I had previous installed WeakSauce and SuperSU on my Verizon HTC One M8.

today, I applied S-off, and flashed ClockwordMod Recovery Unofficial.

I installed Root from inside CWM.

However, I still cannot apply host files in CWM. This suggests that I don't necessarily have full root, so perhaps I missed a vital step somewhere.

Little help? That's all i want is proper ad blocking. otherwise, this phone runs just fine with Nova Launcher ;)

thanks,

Turgur

Jun 14, 2010
Chicago
I always throw my Awaway apk into system/app. Not sure if that actually does anything, but it seems to apply more often than not. I've always had issues with adaway sometimes not applying, so you are not alone.

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
Evening. I had previous installed WeakSauce and SuperSU on my Verizon HTC One M8.

However, I still cannot apply host files in CWM. This suggests that I don't necessarily have full root, so perhaps I missed a vital step somewhere.

Little help? That's all i want is proper ad blocking. otherwise, this phone runs just fine with Nova Launcher ;)

thanks,

Unfortunately, while booted into Android, the stock kernal prevents system partition write access. You'll need to disable it.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

kwkw480

Sep 18, 2009

thanks,

download and flash this in recovery: http://download.chainfire.eu/345/SuperSU/

then open it so it can update (use recovery method when asked to update)

then run adaway :)

Myk Robinson

Feb 10, 2014
www.kingdomcomputer.info
Got it

download and flash this in recovery: http://download.chainfire.eu/345/SuperSU/

then open it so it can update (use recovery method when asked to update)

then run adaway :)

Thanks, it successfully applied after that. Apparently I missed step one in some previous instructions where it said to flash the SuperSU binary.

Last question. I assume at this point, I can uninstall WeakSauce since we have permanent proper root?

I gotta say, this was pretty easy in Linux Mint 16....

kwkw480

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks, it successfully applied after that. Apparently I missed step one in some previous instructions where it said to flash the SuperSU binary.

Last question. I assume at this point, I can uninstall WeakSauce since we have permanent proper root?

I gotta say, this was pretty easy in Linux Mint 16....

Yes, uninstall weak sauce :)

Myk Robinson

Feb 10, 2014
www.kingdomcomputer.info
Thank you

Thank you all for replying. Nice to have such a fast response.

All this because I missed the first line of the instructions...

If Verizon customer service was as good as the fine folks on this forum....

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
S-Off'd and rooted through flashable zip. Installed adaway as a system app, and it's running fine here. Nothing else changed or added.

M8, nuff said.

I also have s-off, uninstalled weak sauce, then flashed through CWM supersu.zip for full root, reboot. Downloaded latest AdAway apk found here on xda forum. I then ran apk file from my download folder, hit install. Open AdAway, click on Download fiels and apply add blocking. Now it just gets stuck on Applying... with the circle going around and around for over 15 minutes straight now! Yes i gave root access when asked. Is this normal?

Nevermind. Closed app, then reopened and it did the download thing like normal. Now says successful and applied hosts sources: 4/4.

So i'm good to go now? Does this need reboot like prompted?

I also have s-off, uninstalled weak sauce, then flashed through CWM supersu.zip for full root, reboot. Downloaded latest AdAway apk found here on xda forum. I then ran apk file from my download folder, hit install. Open AdAway, click on Download fiels and apply add blocking. Now it just gets stuck on Applying... with the circle going around and around for over 15 minutes straight now! Yes i gave root access when asked. Is this normal?

Nevermind. Closed app, then reopened and it did the download thing like normal. Now says successful and applied hosts sources: 4/4.

You don't NEED to, but it is recommended.

M8, nuff said.

starcms

This is the one app causing me problems. Adfree works problem free, but AdAway likes to keep getting stuck on "Applying...". I've got it to succeed once or twice by force closing and re-trying, but it's not reliable. I'm S-off, CWM recovery, SuperSU, and the modded kernel with RW permissions. What gives? :?

EDIT: Even tried installing Adaway as system app, problem still persists...???

EDIT2: Finally got it working. Noticed in the OP in the xda thread that there is a modded version to fix problem. All good :)

Last edited:

Nov 21, 2012

Don't need to reboot. I never have and it works fine.

JWhetstone02

Mar 6, 2011
South Carolina
I had to install the unsecure boot image in order for AdAway to work properly. Otherwise it just hangs on applying host files.

From what I understand, just because you're s-off still doesn't mean you have full write access. The stock kernel has the write protection modules built in.

Flashing the unsecure boot image fixed all issues I was having and I'm pretty sure if you're still having problems, flashing that will help

-HTC One m8-

GSUS969

Jul 6, 2011
Detroit
I'm not disputing whether or not s-off provides full write access. But, I was able to install AdAway with full functionality without installing the unsecure stock kernel. It takes a while to download all the data and install it though (maybe 5 minutes or so?). Then, I rebooted and it's working very well. No more ads!

Top Liked Posts