Can I use "Factory data reset" on MK2 rooted phone?

Search This thread

dwestall

Jul 16, 2011
Houston
I'm running MK2 rooted and recently my phone stopped charging. I've tried everything to get it to work, I'm fairly certain it's a hardware failure. I know I can probably replace the connector myself, but I prefer warranty. I've backed up everything (via cloud) and now I want to restore to factory settings. I can't use ODIN because the problem also prevents me from connecting to a computer.

Is it safe to perform the phone's "Factory data reset". Will have restore to factory setup?

Thanks.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I'm running MK2 rooted and recently my phone stopped charging. I've tried everything to get it to work, I'm fairly certain it's a hardware failure. I know I can probably replace the connector myself, but I prefer warranty. I've backed up everything (via cloud) and now I want to restore to factory settings. I can't use ODIN because the problem also prevents me from connecting to a computer.

Is it safe to perform the phone's "Factory data reset". Will have restore to factory setup?

Thanks.

It should work just fine. Keep in mind the root binary is installed to system though so you might get custom flag for that.

dwestall

Jul 16, 2011
Houston

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
My phone is not encrypted, but thanks for the tip.

I'm only rooted and haven't installed a custom recovery or custom rom. If I factory reset, can at&t tell my phone was once rooted?

Yes, the su binary will stay there and trip the custom flag. If you want to remove that, either download and flags the ODIN package for your system or use SuperSU to unroot.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE

dwestall

Jul 16, 2011
Houston
Yes, the su binary will stay there and trip the custom flag. If you want to remove that, either download and flags the ODIN package for your system or use SuperSU to unroot.

Can't use ODIN, the USB port doesn't work. So, I un-rooted in SuperSU, restarted the phone, then performed the Factory Data Reset. Everything is now reset, the phone still doesn't charge, the USB port still doesn't work. However, now when I turn on the phone I get the "Custom" lock icon. Not sure what I did wrong. I guess I'll have to repair it myself now?

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Can't use ODIN, the USB port doesn't work. So, I un-rooted in SuperSU, restarted the phone, then performed the Factory Data Reset. Everything is now reset, the phone still doesn't charge, the USB port still doesn't work. However, now when I turn on the phone I get the "Custom" lock icon. Not sure what I did wrong. I guess I'll have to repair it myself now?

You might of still had busybox, or if you had frozen system apps or something. I'd say see if you can use towelroot real quick, install a busybox app, remove it, and then unroot again. You also need to remove safestrap if you ever had that. Before doing that, restart your phone a few times though, as sometimes it won't change immediately or will say custom after a fresh install.

dwestall

Jul 16, 2011
Houston
You might of still had busybox, or if you had frozen system apps or something. I'd say see if you can use towelroot real quick, install a busybox app, remove it, and then unroot again. You also need to remove safestrap if you ever had that. Before doing that, restart your phone a few times though, as sometimes it won't change immediately or will say custom after a fresh install.

I never installed Safestrap, but I did freeze a number of system apps using Titanium Backup and I never unfroze them before I did the unroot and factory reset. I also had Xposed framework and Wanam Xposed module still installed, which I now understand can cause issues.

What would you suggest I do to get rid of the "custom" lock? I've restarted the phone 6-7 times and the lock is still there. Would running Towelroot still work with my situation? Is there anything else I need to do before I unroot again, like unfreeze apps or revert the Wanam Xposed settings?

Thanks for you help.