[Q] Transfer Naver LINE account btwn ROMs

Search This thread

jtchinoy

Mar 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

I frequently install new custom ROMs on my i337. I use Naver LINE as my primary messaging app, but your account is tied to your email and supposedly the device ID. If it doesnt match, it will delete your chat history.

I tried using Titanium Backup to restore my previous ID when putting in a new ROM but LINE still recognized the phone as a new device. Anyone have an idea on how to make the new ROM get recognized as the previous one?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TASL

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles USA
Hi everyone,

I frequently install new custom ROMs on my i337. I use Naver LINE as my primary messaging app, but your account is tied to your email and supposedly the device ID. If it doesnt match, it will delete your chat history.

I tried using Titanium Backup to restore my previous ID when putting in a new ROM but LINE still recognized the phone as a new device. Anyone have an idea on how to make the new ROM get recognized as the previous one?

Backup the LINE APP+DATA and SETTINGS (system apps). Install new ROM process whatever. Restore LINE APP+DATA. Manage Android ID, restore from backup (should be one option available). Click yes, let it reboot. Everything should be in LINE again in the new rom. Tested over 50 times as I am also a flashaholic.

Idk what went wrong with your method, but you didn't mention that you backed up and restored LINE APP+DATA before trying to restore the Android ID. If you already tried that... idk.

Reactions: ShrtyR3d

jtchinoy

Mar 24, 2013
I think what I missed in this post is I didnt restore app data. I did exactly wgat you said on my flash last night and it worked! Does this work between different ROMs? Not just updates of the same ROM?

TASL

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles USA
I think what I missed in this post is I didnt restore app data. I did exactly wgat you said on my flash last night and it worked! Does this work between different ROMs? Not just updates of the same ROM?

I can not say with ABSOLUTE certainty that it will always work, but it has consistently worked for me between numerous roms, OS versions, and different phones (ie, transferring user data from an old phone to a new phone).

Reactions: jtchinoy

jtchinoy

Mar 24, 2013
Between phones? Wow. Thanks for the advice!

SlaveToTech

Sep 1, 2014
backup issue

Backup the LINE APP+DATA and SETTINGS (system apps). Install new ROM process whatever. Restore LINE APP+DATA. Manage Android ID, restore from backup (should be one option available). Click yes, let it reboot. Everything should be in LINE again in the new rom. Tested over 50 times as I am also a flashaholic.

Idk what went wrong with your method, but you didn't mention that you backed up and restored LINE APP+DATA before trying to restore the Android ID. If you already tried that... idk.

Hi, TASL.
You may or may not be viewing any replies on this topic anymore, but in case you are, would you be able to explain the steps you have provided in as much detail as possible?
I am completely new to android and have never used Linux before either. I have been putting in some hard yards over the past few days and burned around 6 hours of trying to understand all the related jargon and acronyms (relating to backing up Naver Line) but it is starting to take its toll lol.. This is like learning a whole new language.

I followed some of what you have said but there are areas I could not work out no matter how hard I tried.
I.E. SETTINGS (system apps). There are many places where the words settings are inside the OS I found. In the OS itself, inside Naver Line etc... I have no idea where to find it.
"Manage Android ID". What is that and how is it done exactly?

So, if you or anyone else for that matter could please write a (Literally) step by step guide that would be just awesome. Because I have failed many attempts thus far and yet I will keep on trying. I can't see that light at the end of the tunnel just yet. :(

NB: I will add though, after weeks of trying I finally succeeded in installing a ROM on one of my androids. That was just HELL!! :D I'm not giving in though! :good:

From an old bloke, cheers for the understanding...

TASL

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles USA
This process requires ROOT and Titanium Backup:

1. Select "Backup All System Data"

33nvvy1.png

2. Select "SETTINGS" Storage is the only one I think you need, but back up both anyways (as pictured)

2rqjbsl.jpg

**The above steps will backup your Android Device ID, which LINE requires to be identical to the restored data ID**

**After you have backed up LINE and SETTINGS and done whatever it was that required you to move your LINE app**

1. Select "Restore All Apps With Data" and check LINE (app+data)

30at0y8.jpg

2. Navigate to Titanium Backup's main menu, scroll down to "Manage Android ID ..." which should bring up a window with an option "Restore Android ID from a backup" which when clicked should show one backup... click that, it will prompt you to restart, restart... done.

I'm not the best instructions guy, but let me know if that helps clear up the process.

Reactions: SlaveToTech

SlaveToTech

Sep 1, 2014
backup issue

Hey TASL,

A big thanks for the effort you put in there.
I am going to give it a go again and I'll post my experience with it.:fingers-crossed:
Through my previous attempts with this (using two other site/posts to help or confuse) I had ended up downloading SQlite manager, Titanium, Bluetooth File Transfer, Easy Backup, FX explorer and FX explorer root add-on. You can see I was going down the rabbit hole there.. :D

SlaveToTech

Sep 1, 2014
Back. I've been out for a few hours training. Been back for 30 minutes. Started on backing up of Line and camera. The new phones was in a 'Building app data size....or something or rather for around 5 minutes. Then changed to a screen report showing 'Overview of app storage use ' window.
Obviously I am not sure if this is supposed to happen.
Then I tried to 'Manage Android Id'.......No can do. I need the 'Donate version' of Titanium it says. Hmm..I couldn't find the donate version so I suppose I would have to pay the $7.50 for the PRO version to get this to work. :(
I'll get back when i've come to a solution.

SlaveToTech

Sep 1, 2014
Ok. I finally succeeded in backing it up onto the new phone. The only issue here is that When opening Line I need to enter the password 'twice'. Also a message appears courtesy of Line, telling me that I have accessed this account on another device therefore and that all the information will be deleted.
At this point I just tap back instead of tapping on the 'OK' button.
This probably came about because I had installed Line onto my new device and opened it before using this backup guide. As the above message is what I saw when I had done that. This is a bit of an issue as I will need to step carefully least I accidentally hit the 'OK' button and then having line remove all of the chat. :(
Bummer.
What a huge oversight by Naver Line in not incorporating a chat transfer option. Seems like an awfully stupid 'think tank' idea from the suits in the oval office. Perhaps they know something I don't. :confused:

Again thanks for the guide TASL. This will definately help in future and next time I'll get it right on the first go. Cheers

SlaveToTech

Sep 1, 2014
Just an update to my user experience.
I have removed the Line app and re-installed from the market.
Not only was it tedious to tread carefully around the 'OK' confirmation button from line I couldn't send text messages either.
So I have failed in getting this too work.
The household is getting a new (but second hand) SG3 very soon so I will try the method on that device before activating line on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I can not say with ABSOLUTE certainty that it will always work, but it has consistently worked for me between numerous roms, OS versions, and different phones (ie, transferring user data from an old phone to a new phone).
    This process requires ROOT and Titanium Backup:

1. Select "Backup All System Data"

33nvvy1.png

2. Select "SETTINGS" Storage is the only one I think you need, but back up both anyways (as pictured)

2rqjbsl.jpg

**The above steps will backup your Android Device ID, which LINE requires to be identical to the restored data ID**

**After you have backed up LINE and SETTINGS and done whatever it was that required you to move your LINE app**

1. Select "Restore All Apps With Data" and check LINE (app+data)

30at0y8.jpg

2. Navigate to Titanium Backup's main menu, scroll down to "Manage Android ID ..." which should bring up a window with an option "Restore Android ID from a backup" which when clicked should show one backup... click that, it will prompt you to restart, restart... done.

I'm not the best instructions guy, but let me know if that helps clear up the process.