Search This thread

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
n00b question.

If an SDK version is released (say, like, Gingerbread today), does that mean chefs could take it and cook up a ROM for ANY phone (say, like, the Epic)? Or do they need something else to do that?

The SDK is just the toolkit (programs to compile and related functions) but it doesn't come with the source code for our phones - while an experienced programmer may be able to convert the gingerbread source from another device, that is more difficult than it might sound. So the short answer is, no, the only way to cook up a ROM for ANY phone is to have the source code (or a stable stock rom to use as a base, but no source means the changes will be mostly graphic alterations). We probably won't see gingerbread on the Epic for a long time... (Fingers crossed that I'm wrong, lol)

Please forgive my ignorance... I've searched the forums, looked at the wiki...

I use titanium backup and am now running the DK27 froyo build by noobnl. My question... How do I restore my e-mail accounts to the phone everytime without having to re-type them in? I've been flashing a rom every other day on average since I got the phone and it's getting REALLY old.

EDIT: Wow, this response was worded poorly, lol...
As far as I've seen, restoring data from a backup causes a lot of force close problems. The only exception (which I haven't tested myself) is app data for downloaded apps - I have read that Titanium Backup can restore just the data without subsequent problems... but we're talking about things like game progress (Angry Birds was the app discussed in the thread I saw), and as far as I know, restoring anything else (including system data) will cause problems

When can we expect a custom Kernel with netfilters for wifi tethering?

Custom kernel work can't really even begin until we have the source code, which usually drops shortly after the official OTA release... which raises the question, has this recent OTA update started coming to the rest of us yet? (I won't see the notification as I'm already on DK28)

Last edited:

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
which raises the question, has this recent OTA update started coming to the rest of us yet? (I won't see the notification as I'm already on DK28)

Great question. I was actually planning on flashing back to DI18 after the 5 day test period that someone with "insider information" mentioned on the original (now deleted) OTA leak post. Since the unofficial OTA came out on the 3rd I'm going to flash to DI18 on the 8th or 9th to see if the official OTA is available. That is, unless someone reports it sooner.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
On DI18 my Macbook Pro was able to mount my phone/sd card no problem, but with DK28 I always get an error that it could not be mounted and OSX asks me if I want to ignore it or eject the device. Has anyone mounted to OSX on DK28 successfully?

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
noob here, so 2 questions

so i read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782300&highlight=clockworkmod+unrooted

and watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H723FzC8E_o
(just read his description)
this might sound stupid but....
can i do this basically as a way to just create a backup of my system pre-rooted, pre-anything? (Got my phone 3 days ago)...because as far as I can tell, this allows me to effectively boot into clockwork (without having root access), and instead of flashing, do the backup option so I can take a picture of my unrooted virgin phone ;) and then reboot and still be stock?

and second (If I'm right about the first one)if I ever recovered to that backup, would my phone also be stock recovery (not clockwork)..

obviously this is all for if I decide to flash to stock for an OTA without losing anything, return the phone, etc..

jayzn210

Dec 5, 2010
There is a thorough guide on this forum, and I believe it is stickied - without a more specific question, that's the best answer anyone can give you... What part are you having difficulty with?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App[/QUOT

Can you send a link to that guide going from the leaked 2.2 back to DI18? All i saw on the forums was using odin and unfortunately i have a mac.

kgs385

Dec 5, 2010
hello i have the stock build samsung ECLAIR.dg17 i tried updating to 2.2 and it would not work i tried everything then i read that you need DI18 for the update to work so i tried that and it would not update to DI18 either any thoughts

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
There is a thorough guide on this forum, and I believe it is stickied - without a more specific question, that's the best answer anyone can give you... What part are you having difficulty with?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App[/QUOT

Can you send a link to that guide going from the leaked 2.2 back to DI18? All i saw on the forums was using odin and unfortunately i have a mac.

Heimdal is a homemade equivalent to Odin, that has versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. I have never used it since Odin has worked fine for me, but there are guides floating around XDA

I don't have the link, and since I don't really need it, I'll leave it up to you to do the search

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
hello i have the stock build samsung ECLAIR.dg17 i tried updating to 2.2 and it would not work i tried everything then i read that you need DI18 for the update to work so i tried that and it would not update to DI18 either any thoughts

First thought - what steps did you do? (Don't leave out ANY details - you're giving us directions to get where you are, leave out one turn and there's no telling where we'll end up, but it won't be where you are)

How did you attempt to update to DI18? Also, what method did you use to try to go straight to 2.2? (I'm guessing an update.zip method, as the full Odin methods completely overwrite the system, so it wouldn't matter if you had DOS and a picture of a monkey on your phone before the flash...)

Remember, there are several methods to accomplish the same task - we can't say which step you might have messed up on until we know which steps you actually took.

G

GUESTX0106

hey i need a little help. my phone samsung epic is rooted, but i need to take it back to sprint because its having problems. and one of them is that my computer wont recognize it and the phone wont charge well. and since my computer wont find it i cant flash back with one click or odin. can someone tell me a way to unroot it using the phone only? or what the procedure is? id greatly appreciate it. thanks

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
uhm how do i overclock my epic

First of all you need a kernel that is capable of OC. If you check the WIKI at the top of this thread you will see links. Check the thread's first few posts for details. Some kernels will go up to about 1.6 Ghz, but you will also need an app that can make the appropriate changes for you. I use SetCPU (from the market) but there are others. Obviously you are going to have to root your phone. :)

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
hey i need a little help. my phone samsung epic is rooted, but i need to take it back to sprint because its having problems. and one of them is that my computer wont recognize it and the phone wont charge well. and since my computer wont find it i cant flash back with one click or odin. can someone tell me a way to unroot it using the phone only? or what the procedure is? id greatly appreciate it. thanks

You are going to need ODIN and the appropriate .tar file. If you hold down the hard keyboard 1 key and push the power key you should see a yellow bot digging in a pile of rubble (no ****). This is the very basic boot loader mode. If you can get this to pop up on the screen then you can flash back to stock. Just do a search for ODIN or visit this thread for particulars.

Etrnlwanderer

May 6, 2008
Cochin

You are going to need ODIN and the appropriate .tar file. If you hold down the hard keyboard 1 key and push the power key you should see a yellow bot digging in a pile of rubble (no ****). This is the very basic boot loader mode. If you can get this to pop up on the screen then you can flash back to stock. Just do a search for ODIN or visit this thread for particulars.

Thanks, I was asking this info on another thread. Glad to see you've answered it here Top Nurse. Just one additional query to what you've already said. I've used the one click root method and so I have the Clockwork recovery mode instead of the Default Recovery that originally came on the phone. If I flash back to DI18 ( I was on Eclair DI18 prior to rooting) using Odin, will the Clockwork Recovery also get set back to the original kind ( which is what I want) and I presume the rooting also will get undone?

I rooted the phone just out of curiosity, and now that I know how its done, I would like to go back to the original Sprint ROM and being unrooted, so I want to know how I can get back to that original setting completely as when I took my Epic fresh out of the box :)

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thanks, I was asking this info on another thread. Glad to see you've answered it here Top Nurse. Just one additional query to what you've already said. I've used the one click root method and so I have the Clockwork recovery mode instead of the Default Recovery that originally came on the phone. If I flash back to DI18 ( I was on Eclair DI18 prior to rooting) using Odin, will the Clockwork Recovery also get set back to the original kind ( which is what I want) and I presume the rooting also will get undone?

I rooted the phone just out of curiosity, and now that I know how its done, I would like to go back to the original Sprint ROM and being unrooted, so I want to know how I can get back to that original setting completely as when I took my Epic fresh out of the box :)

Odin flashing a complete tar file (as opposed to a modem or kernel) will completely rewrite the data on your phone, so it will be set back to stock - you will lose both root and custom recovery. There are also root uninstallers, but I have not seen any other method to remove the custom recovery (and I can't say whether the root uninstall restores everything that was altered in order to root). I Odin flashed my first Epic when the 4G radio died (hardware failure), and it no one at the Sprint store was any the wiser (although, at this store, I probably could have gone in with it running DOS and they wouldn't have known the difference, lol)

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
If I flash back to DI18 ( I was on Eclair DI18 prior to rooting) using Odin, will the Clockwork Recovery also get set back to the original kind ( which is what I want) and I presume the rooting also will get undone?

Flashing the .tar file as noted above will wipe the slate clean. However, the process doesn't remove the CWM files from your SD card. You will need to delete those manually with a file manager like Astro or Root manager.

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Flashing the .tar file as noted above will wipe the slate clean. However, the process doesn't remove the CWM files from your SD card. You will need to delete those manually with a file manager like Astro or Root manager.

Or, if this if so you can swap the phone at a Sprint store, just remove the sd card in advance - they swap then out anyway

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

G

GUESTX0106

Hey Thank you Top Nurse. I tried that as well before I posted here. The thing is my computer wont recognize when I try one click and in download mode odin wont recognize either. I have the drivers downloaded and everything, it used to work it just doesnt now, i think im stuck like this. I'm guessing maybe my port is broken? but the phone charges so idk!!??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys,
    Am rooted now with SG2 GT-I9100 OCS 4.0.4, now how to flash a ROM step by step, then Kernel, then Modem? I did Nandroid & Titanium Backup and I want want to add a best ROM for my device.
    Also can somebody tell me if I can install the paid app's for free like (Installous) in Iphone?
    Am new in Android WORLD and am feeling that jailbreak is much easy then Android!
    Let somebody to change this idea from my head.
    Appreciate your quick reply.

Please reply as step by step and dont use too many abbrebiations :)

First of all, you're in the wrong thread... you want the epic touch forum... second, xda doesn't and will never support pirating apps (getting paid apps for free) kindly take that question to another site... there is no best rom anybody can recommend because every rom runs on every device differently because no 2 people use their phones exactly the same way... I know that wasn't much help, but that's about all you're gonna get over here... try asking in the epic touch forum, but leave out the part about getting paid apps for free....
    It's called easysmart.apk or go to settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>automatic connections and turn it off.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium
    I am running through the directions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798067

All the steps up to 2.3.2 went perfectly. Got drivers, got sdk, jdk, adb, ran the
    one.click.root.exploitv2.5.5 run.bat

When I got to step 2.3.2, specifically the part where you open the adb shell and remount rw, the mount errored out. I would provide you all the exact error but I can't, see below.

I thought I could just skip down to koush's method. So I d/l'ed the clockworkmodkernal zip, plopped it into / on the SD and did the volume+camera+power reboot.

Since I had already finished step 2.3.1, I ended up in Clockwork and saved a backup. Then I installed the zip and rebooted.

I was expecting to go to the market to get the ROM manager, instead I got the Android system recovery <2e> (blue menu).

No problem, I thought I'll just boot into clockwork and restore my back up.

So I did that and it looked like it worked, it says restore complete, except it said that it was skipping the restore of /sd-ext/.

So then I went to "reboot system now" and I ended up in the Android system recovery.

Now whenever I boot I end up in the Android system recovery unless I do the v+c+p reboot, which gets me to the clockwork menu.

What should I do now? please help.

ROM manager is the first problem. It is not compatible with the Epic. When you boot into Clockwork are the letters green? If so then you have gotten clockwork 2.5.x on your system so you can try to flash an RFS ROM like:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027904

If that doesn't work then you will have to Odin back to stock and start again like here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052813
    I attempted to use the One Click Root from this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=770388

Ran the ADB script, it said it finished, I rebooted my phone because nothing happened with it after it said it was done.

Now my phone doesn't boot, stays on the white SAMSUNG logo screen when it first boots and never changes.

Can't get into recovery either.

Only thing I can get into now is the Download screen.

I've attempted to flash back to stock using the SWUpgrade tool I found on SDX and the download fails.

I'm running EC05 and I'm not new at rooting but I'm new to rooting the Epic, I've rooted my EVO and Moment, never had this much trouble before :(

I can't boot into recovery to flash anything that way right now and I'm not sure why

I attempted to flash the EB13 stock using SWUpdate and the download fails every time as well.

You will need a computer and have to Odin your phone back to stock. Instructions are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052813
    So what did I do wrong? Or what should I do differently so it works when I try again?

And by try it again I mean fully rooting the phone and slapping a sexy rom and a lean kernel on it.

You might need a new data cable based on the Odin difficulties but since you already got Odin to work, find and download your sexy new EXT4 compatible ROM, then Odin in this EB13 prerooted EXT4 tar, then boot into Clockwork 3.0.0.6 with 3 finger (NO ROM Manager), it will convert you to EXT4 file system, then before rebooting flash the sexy ROM you downloaded. Here is the link to EB13 tar, get the 2nd one listed.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=853209