Attachments

• decrypt(Pie).zip
    172.2 KB · Views: 8,569
  • encrypt(pie).zip
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,694
Last edited:

nice_guy75

Mar 29, 2012
Can I update to Pie via TWRP, after editing updater-script, if yes, can I flash decrypt.zip just after updating without formatting data. Actually, I don't want to format my device and install all the applications again.
Is 1903.064 is stable enough to use, I mean cam2api, screen flickering, PUBG on HD setting, charging time it was taking too long to charge earlier, reduced battery backup, screen brightness, cracking sound, double tap was also not working.

legacy07

May 6, 2018
KL-34
Can I update to Pie via TWRP, after editing updater-script, if yes, can I flash decrypt.zip just after updating without formatting data. Actually, I don't want to format my device and install all the applications again.
Is 1903.064 is stable enough to use, I mean cam2api, screen flickering, PUBG on HD setting, charging time it was taking too long to charge earlier, reduced battery backup, screen brightness, cracking sound, double tap was also not working.

Yes. You can. But if the phone is encrypted and flashing decrypt for the first time, decryption comes into effect only after formatting data

Reactions: kayamokid

nice_guy75

Mar 29, 2012
Yes. You can. But if the phone is encrypted and flashing decrypt for the first time, decryption comes into effect only after formatting data
No, Mine is decrypted. I am on Oreo with TWRP and already flashed decrypt.zip of Oreo? So can I flash 1903.064 zip via TWRP, after editing updater script and then flash decrypt.zip of Pie, to save my data partition?
I hope decrypt.zip of Pie does not format data while flashing.....

Last edited:

legacy07

May 6, 2018
KL-34
No, Mine is decrypted. I am on Oreo with TWRP and already flashed decrypt.zip of Oreo? So can I flash 1903.064 zip via TWRP, after editing updater script and then flash decrypt.zip of Pie, to save my data partition?
I hope decrypt.zip of Pie does not format data while flashing.....

Then no need to format. You won't loose data

Reactions: nice_guy75

kayamokid

Jan 29, 2013
Earth
POCO X4 Pro
is this necessary if i will go for custom rom? i mean just like in oreo, can i use the decrypt.zip for oreo to stock pie in order to decrypt my device? or i will use this one for pie? just to clarify sir.

legacy07

May 6, 2018
KL-34
is this necessary if i will go for custom rom? i mean just like in oreo, can i use the decrypt.zip for oreo to stock pie in order to decrypt my device? or i will use this one for pie? just to clarify sir.
Flashing decrypt oreo infact caused many problems on wifi/modem for many users. Also decrypt oreo didn't worked on pie for some users. So flashing decrypt pie is recommended for Oreo too.

Reactions: kayamokid
Apr 18, 2019

sintoo

Nov 26, 2009
Hi all. I have zenfone updated to Oreo/android 8.1.
Phone model Z01BDC = ZC551KL .
What should I do to apply this patch to decrypt my /data ?
I installed TWRP 3.1.0.0 and the fact that /data is Encrypted is a problem.
Thank you.

legacy07

May 6, 2018
KL-34
Hi all. I have zenfone updated to Oreo/android 8.1.
Phone model Z01BDC = ZC551KL .
What should I do to apply this patch to decrypt my /data ?
I installed TWRP 3.1.0.0 and the fact that /data is Encrypted is a problem.
Thank you.

This mod works in X01BD and X00TD. Not sure if it work for Z01BD. You can flash this patch by following the steps in the thread but success isn't guaranteed. Take a system backup as if anything goes wrong. Also be ready to loose your data

Reactions: mauam
It's not working with Official TWRP 3.3.1-0. I'm using stock Pie .065. Every time I reboot to system, it starts encrypting my device and when I reboot to recovery, TWRP is gone and I'll be booted to stock recovery. Then I flashed TWRP and checked the fstab.qcom. It was never patched. With OFRP, I don't have this issue as it patches fstab.qcom automatically after flashing a zip. But with the zip provided in OP, I'm unable to disable forced encryption. I don't get any error while flashing the zip though. Does any other file needs to be patched to disable forced encryption other than fstab.qcom?

Reactions: kayamokid and mauam

legacy07

May 6, 2018
KL-34
It's not working with Official TWRP 3.3.1-0. I'm using stock Pie .065. Every time I reboot to system, it starts encrypting my device and when I reboot to recovery, TWRP is gone and I'll be booted to stock recovery. Then I flashed TWRP and checked the fstab.qcom. It was never patched. With OFRP, I don't have this issue as it patches fstab.qcom automatically after flashing a zip. But with the zip provided in OP, I'm unable to disable forced encryption. I don't get any error while flashing the zip though. Does any other file needs to be patched to disable forced encryption other than fstab.qcom?
I think twrp official has decryption issues. Check with twrp 3.2.3

I think twrp official has decryption issues. Check with twrp 3.2.3

I checked with Rk585's TWRP 3.2.3 too. Same issue persists. It worked fine when I was in Oreo.
After flashing the zip, I booted back to recovery and copied the fstab.qcom to my PC to check if it has been replaced with the flashed zip. It did replace it. But when I boot to system, it starts encrypting my device and TWRP gets replaced by stock recovery. So I flashed the TWRP again and checked the fstab.qcom. Voila. It was unpatched. I don't know what is happening during the boot. The patched fstab is getting replaced by original fstab.

Edit: Seems there is a problem with the zip I guess. Or more files need to be patched to disable forced encryption in stock Pie rom. I tested in both PBRP and OFRP.

Case 1: I flashed stock rom in Official TWRP, then flashed PBRP zip and booted into PBRP. After booting into PBRP, it doesn't automatically disable forced encryption if no rom zip is flashed in it. So I flashed the decrypt zip provided in this OP. Then I booted to system, it started encrypting my device.

Case 2: I flashed stock rom in Official TWRP, then flashed OFRP zip and booted into OFRP. After booting into OFRP, it automatically disabled forced encryption even though no rom zip was flashed. Hence after booting into system, it didn't automatically encrypt my device as forced encryption was disabled automatically by OFRP.

So PBRP and OFRP do something else to disable forced encryption other than just patching fstab.qcom. Atleast in stock Pie rom. That's why I'm unable to disable forced encryption by flashing decrypt zip in any of the recoveries unless it is patched by recoveries themselves.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disable forced encryption of data partition​

Instructions:

1. Download the decrypt.zip and move/copy to sdcard/otg drive
    2. Flash in recovery
    3. Format /data
    4. Reboot

To encrypt the rom again, flash encrypt(pie).zip and format /data
    Disable forced encryption of data partition

Instructions:

1. Download the decrypt.zip and move/copy to sdcard/otg drive
    2. Flash in recovery
    3. Format /data
    4. Reboot
    In which recovery stock or on custom recovery?
    In which recovery stock or on custom recovery?

Custom recovery
    Ok, if my bootloader is locked and I am on stock V16.2017.1910.071-20190920, and I want to root my Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 and decrypt as well, I can simply unlock my bootloader using this unlocker and then after flashing OFRP, I can simply edit the updater-binary of the latest OTA and flash it with disabled force encryption with OFRP.

Will it root my device and decrypt as well without flashing decrypt.zip?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I have problem
    after install twrp if i rebot on recovery all is ok
    but i boot on system the phone encrypt again (is it normal ?)
    the phone is rooted BUT
    when i boot on recovery TWRP asks me for a password like the first time and if i choose cancel it says it cannot decrypt the phone and internal storage is 0 mb , cannot use TWRP for backup, instal ...;
    Must format data again

same problem with pbrp

Use PBRP or OFRP and "Disable Forced Encryption" from the setting of the recovery and then flash the latest OTA, it should decrypt your system partition. But remember you might have to use SD card or OTG pen drive for OTA zip, as you won't be able to access your internal memory.

As I told you, you have to "Disable Forced Encryption" I am not sure about pbrp but I have used OFRP, and it is working fine.

Note: Don't get confuse with my earlier reply. I am currently rooted and on the latest ROM but somehow my auto lock is not working, means my phone is not locking by itself so I want to first flash fastboot ROM and then I would update my device to the latest version using OTAs and then I would root my device.