Manual OTA Update process step-by-step (Stock/Rooted/Xposed)

Search This thread

Chronzy

Jun 28, 2010
Austin, TX
For stock rooted/TWRP users, this is a step-by-step process of manually updating your Moto involving flashing stock firmware, updating, and restoring TWRP, root, and apps afterwards.

Benefits:
**It's really simple- once you get familiar with this process, you can do it fairly quickly.
**Take the time to read through and get everything set up and you'll be set for future updates.
**No begging the internet for flashable zips.

Preface:
So my situation is i'm running stock, bootloader unlocked, rooted, and xposed on my US XT1540 2GB Moto G. I went through the process this morning of updating to the new 23.46.4 update. Thought I'd share what I did for anyone out there wanting to update with questions ; hopefully some can be answered here. I'm familiar with flashing firmware files from my previous Moto X's '13 & '14 so trust me it's not a big deal to flash back stock firmware to update. This process should be applicable to any variant of the Moto G and and to any future updates as well, not just the one mentioned here as of 09/19/15. Just be mindful of your phone's version and use the appropriate firmware.

1) BACKUP
  • First, make sure everything worth keeping is on your microSD. Flashing stock firmware will wipe your phones internal memory so pictures, music, downloads, SMS, etc need to migrate. Also make sure you have SuperSU and Xposed on your microSD for re-installation. This might be obvious for some and you might have everything going to your microSD (sdcard1, EXTsdcard) already, but one thing you might miss is Titanium Backup...
  • Save apps in Titanium to microSD: Menu>Preferences>Backup folder location>Click to change>Ext. SD card>Create a new folder>Use current folder
  • Nandroid in TWRP to microSD: toward the bottom click on "Storage: Internal storage" and choose "Micro SDcard"
    If you're super smart, after making that backup you'll copy that to your pc.

2) DOWNLOADS
  • Download mini-sdk.zip, attached to the the bottom of this post. Useful light weight sdk containing adb & fastboot which should cover all your flashing needs. If you're not developing apps, full blown android sdk is bloatware ;)

3) SETTING UP ADB/FASTBOOT
  • Enable USB debugging in Developer options
  • Extract mini-sdk.zip to a folder. Extract and add the contents of your firmware to that folder.
  • Open a cmd prompt on the mini-sdk folder (shift + right click, "Open Command Window Here")
  • Let's verify that adb sees the device:
  • Code:
    adb devices
  • Should see "XXserial#XX device". If you get "offline", be sure to check your phone for the adb authorization dialog.
  • We're ready to flash firmware so reboot into fastboot:
  • Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

4) STOCK FIRMWARE INSTALLATION
  • Once phone is in fastboot, enter the following commands in the cmd prompt (open on the mini-sdk folder containing the firmware files) one at a time. Let the current flash command finish before entering the next, especially at the img_sparsechunck steps because they take a 10-15 sec each. Also make sure all of the filenames match what you have; substitute accordingly.
  • Code:
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1 
    fastboot erase modemst2 
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache 
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot reboot

5) UPDATE
  • When you reboot, if you don't get prompted for update check for it- About phone>System updates
  • Download & install update
  • When update is finished and phone boots back up, enable Android debugging in developer options.

6) FLASH BACK TWRP/ROOT/XPOSED
  • Place TWRP img file in mini-sdk folder. Boot back into fastboot and flash TWRP.
  • Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-osprey-2.8.7-test1.img
  • Vol up/down in bootloader to boot recovery.
  • Once in recovery flash Supersu & xposed (optional of course) from your microSD and reboot.
  • Install Titanium from play store, go back into preferences and point to backup folder on the microSD and restore apps.

When xposed and modules are reinstalled through Titanium, you will need to reboot to enable. After that you'll need to tweak your preferences in system options like notifications or display, but any settings in modules (like gravity box) will be restored as long as you backed up app+data in TB. Easier than a custom rom clean flash in that aspect.

So that's it, with that you should be back up and running. Let me know if I missed some steps or if you have questions about the process.

BTW, Installing xposed from scratch for those confused on what files to do what with: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=3034811

• Flash this one in recovery: xposed-v74-sdk22-arm.zip (or most current)
  • Install this apk after you reboot: XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk (or most current)

Attachments

• mini-sdk.zip
    539.1 KB · Views: 1,275
Last edited:

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Hey, could you use normal/dark colors? Reading light yellow and blue is difficult, even when highlighting it with a cursor. Thanks!

Chronzy

Jun 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Hey, could you use normal/dark colors? Reading light yellow and blue is difficult, even when highlighting it with a cursor. Thanks!

I took all the color out and tweaked it a bit. I was using the dark theme and everything looked pretty good, but when I switched to the light theme... yeah annoying.

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
I'm still trying to decide if I want/need to root, and/or install a custom ROM on this phone. I have always done so on past phones, but this phone runs so well I don't want to mess it up, and I'm not sure the few features I'm missing warrant messing with things.

Thank you the tutorial though. I will certainly keep it for reference.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Free mobile app

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Why does every single guide say to erase the userdata partition??? This is totally unnecessary. Instead, boot into twrp and wipe your userdata. The difference is in your internal storage. If you follow the guide you wipe your internal storage in the very last command. My way, you just do a factory reset on the data partition which doesn't wipe the storage

Also, flashing stock recovery is an unnecessary step when it's being immediately replaced by twrp again.

I'm still trying to decide if I want/need to root, and/or install a custom ROM on this phone. I have always done so on past phones, but this phone runs so well I don't want to mess it up, and I'm not sure the few features I'm missing warrant messing with things.

Thank you the tutorial though. I will certainly keep it for reference.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Free mobile app

This isn't a custom rom...it's the official motorola firmware update

Last edited:

El_Nuevo

Aug 6, 2012
Thanks for this guide :), it's good to know, but I would have to wait for a flasheable UPDATE.zip because my phone's configuration (XT1543, dual sim, 16gb storage, 1gb ram) doesn't have a stock firmware download link in the main thread... and also I don't want to reinstall my apps ;), haha.

Matlevo12

Jul 27, 2012
If it works like the other 2 generations of moto g, and at least with the first moto x (all from my personal experience) just skip the erase userdata part and you'll keep your personnal data.
Ota update will go smoothly, no need to restore anything afterwards except root and recovery, indeed.

A backup is always a good thing, sure just in case, but i never used mine on all the ota's I installed on those 3 phones (moto g 2013 16gb, moto g 2014 and moto x 2013)

I don't own a moto g 2015 but my gf does, a 16gb/2gb ram one, she just got it so she installed the update before rooting. If nobody tries it before I'll try it with the next update .

Calum 2

Aug 29, 2015
Halifax
Please add "fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6" to the top post. This could prevent idiots from sitting in a boot loop for an hour, while they try furiously to find a way out, an error in the download, revert to a previous firmware... Yeah, that was stressful.

Oct 2, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Is this the same for the XT1548 virgin mobile 1G of ram and 8G of memory. I understand that it's probably not the same file I just don't really want to wait for the flashable .Zip. But I also don't want to mess up my only device as of now.

csumanth16

Dec 19, 2015
Hey i need help....my xt1550 is unlocked and running on stock 6.0 right now......i have installed custom ROMs and rooted the device before.....but now its unrooted and running stock but iam still not able to recieve ota updates.......why?

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Hey i need help....my xt1550 is unlocked and running on stock 6.0 right now......i have installed custom ROMs and rooted the device before.....but now its unrooted and running stock but iam still not able to recieve ota updates.......why?
If you have stock recovery and an update touched /boot and /system partition, you can take an OTA update. If you have TWRP, root, or other modification in the mentioned areas you cannot take an OTA update.

Having an unlocked bootloader only is not relevant.

MrTooPhone

Nov 23, 2012
What if you unrooted, a rooted stock recovery device, is it safe to take an OTA?

If you have stock recovery and an update touched /boot and /system partition, you can take an OTA update. If you have TWRP, root, or other modification in the mentioned areas you cannot take an OTA update.

Having an unlocked bootloader only is not relevant.

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
And does it remain notably changed even after going through a full unroot via SuperSU?
No, doing a full unroot will return the original /boot partition, but be aware this will not undo any changes you made to /system with root access (such as debloating or Xposed modules), and even if you undo those changes, the Android system has already marked the /system partition as tampered so a check will fail.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For stock rooted/TWRP users, this is a step-by-step process of manually updating your Moto involving flashing stock firmware, updating, and restoring TWRP, root, and apps afterwards.

Benefits:
    **It's really simple- once you get familiar with this process, you can do it fairly quickly.
    **Take the time to read through and get everything set up and you'll be set for future updates.
    **No begging the internet for flashable zips.

Preface:
    So my situation is i'm running stock, bootloader unlocked, rooted, and xposed on my US XT1540 2GB Moto G. I went through the process this morning of updating to the new 23.46.4 update. Thought I'd share what I did for anyone out there wanting to update with questions ; hopefully some can be answered here. I'm familiar with flashing firmware files from my previous Moto X's '13 & '14 so trust me it's not a big deal to flash back stock firmware to update. This process should be applicable to any variant of the Moto G and and to any future updates as well, not just the one mentioned here as of 09/19/15. Just be mindful of your phone's version and use the appropriate firmware.

1) BACKUP
    • First, make sure everything worth keeping is on your microSD. Flashing stock firmware will wipe your phones internal memory so pictures, music, downloads, SMS, etc need to migrate. Also make sure you have SuperSU and Xposed on your microSD for re-installation. This might be obvious for some and you might have everything going to your microSD (sdcard1, EXTsdcard) already, but one thing you might miss is Titanium Backup...
    • Save apps in Titanium to microSD: Menu>Preferences>Backup folder location>Click to change>Ext. SD card>Create a new folder>Use current folder
    • Nandroid in TWRP to microSD: toward the bottom click on "Storage: Internal storage" and choose "Micro SDcard"
      If you're super smart, after making that backup you'll copy that to your pc.

2) DOWNLOADS
    • Download mini-sdk.zip, attached to the the bottom of this post. Useful light weight sdk containing adb & fastboot which should cover all your flashing needs. If you're not developing apps, full blown android sdk is bloatware ;)

3) SETTING UP ADB/FASTBOOT
    • Enable USB debugging in Developer options
    • Extract mini-sdk.zip to a folder. Extract and add the contents of your firmware to that folder.
    • Open a cmd prompt on the mini-sdk folder (shift + right click, "Open Command Window Here")
    • Let's verify that adb sees the device:
    • Code:
      adb devices
    • Should see "XXserial#XX device". If you get "offline", be sure to check your phone for the adb authorization dialog.
    • We're ready to flash firmware so reboot into fastboot:
    • Code:
      adb reboot bootloader

4) STOCK FIRMWARE INSTALLATION
    • Once phone is in fastboot, enter the following commands in the cmd prompt (open on the mini-sdk folder containing the firmware files) one at a time. Let the current flash command finish before entering the next, especially at the img_sparsechunck steps because they take a 10-15 sec each. Also make sure all of the filenames match what you have; substitute accordingly.
    • Code:
      fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
      fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
      fastboot flash logo logo.bin
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
      fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
      fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
      fastboot erase modemst1 
      fastboot erase modemst2 
      fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
      fastboot erase cache 
      fastboot erase userdata
      fastboot reboot

5) UPDATE
    • When you reboot, if you don't get prompted for update check for it- About phone>System updates
    • Download & install update
    • When update is finished and phone boots back up, enable Android debugging in developer options.

6) FLASH BACK TWRP/ROOT/XPOSED
    • Place TWRP img file in mini-sdk folder. Boot back into fastboot and flash TWRP.
    • Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    • Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp-osprey-2.8.7-test1.img
    • Vol up/down in bootloader to boot recovery.
    • Once in recovery flash Supersu & xposed (optional of course) from your microSD and reboot.
    • Install Titanium from play store, go back into preferences and point to backup folder on the microSD and restore apps.

When xposed and modules are reinstalled through Titanium, you will need to reboot to enable. After that you'll need to tweak your preferences in system options like notifications or display, but any settings in modules (like gravity box) will be restored as long as you backed up app+data in TB. Easier than a custom rom clean flash in that aspect.

So that's it, with that you should be back up and running. Let me know if I missed some steps or if you have questions about the process.

BTW, Installing xposed from scratch for those confused on what files to do what with: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=3034811

• Flash this one in recovery: xposed-v74-sdk22-arm.zip (or most current)
    • Install this apk after you reboot: XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk (or most current)
    So even something as simple as modifying the host file will trigger the Android system to mark the /system partition as tampered?
    Yes, in fact, all that is required is for system to mounted r/w, even if you don't change anything, but it depends what the update script checks.