Win10Tile - native, custom Windows 10 tiles with jump list and context menu

Search This thread

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
Update 19.08.16: New design and a lot of refactoring. You can search now! Tiles are now saved with a filename-specific name. This means that tiles for applications in a common folder can be created! Added solution to MS Office applications (see below).
Update 18.11.15: Separate images for small tiles supported (just don't select one if you want to use the same.) Deleting a custom tile is now possible (just click delete :p)
Update 16.11.15: Startmenu items are not listed recursively, i.e., also startmenu subfolders are supported.

Dear all,

since Th2, Windows 10 allows for custom tiles via a visualmanifest.xml again. I created a small application that allows you to create custom tiles for any item in your startmenu. As this is completely native, jump lists and context menus are fully working and no other services are needed.

The app is extremely simple. It lists all your (root) shortcuts of your startmenu. Simply select one item (application target is then the location where the shortcut points to) and select an image. Hit save and you are done. Pin the shortcut as usual to your startscreen. The image is copied to the application directory.

If you intend to create tiles for apps like calculator, please consider the excellent tutorial given here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64055883&postcount=53

The app requires administrator privelegs to modify the creation time of the shortcut (otherwise the tile won't be refreshed).

Download: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile-20160819.rar (Disclaimer: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for whatsoever. App requests highest available rights.)

Source: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile-Source-2060819.rar I am releasing this source under CC BY-NC-SA: "This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms." I.e. modify it, publish it with source for free and give me credit. Program is written in c# (2013). The rar includes the complete Visual Studio solution.

App screenshot:
mytile-teaser.png

Possible result:
MyTile2.png

Icons mostly by http://dakirby309.deviantart.com/art/Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons-280724102

Solution to MS Office applications:
It is not possible to create custom tiles for MS Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, etc. using this application. Somehow a custom tileimage in the corresponding visualelementsmanifest is ignored. However, it is easy to change the tile-images!
1) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\LogoImages (For Office16, @razmth reports to look at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\LogoImages)
2) Replace the respective tileimages. You only need to replace the -100.png images for a medium tile! For example, simply change the WinWordLogo.scale-100.png with a custom MS Word medium tile.
3) Startmenu entry must be refreshed. Select the <NameOfMSOfficeApplication>.lnk in MyTile (it will point to something xlicons.exe). Click on refresh.
Note: The original visualelementsmanifest.xml must remain. If you change them via this app, the above workaround does not work anymore. Get them from some other office installation and copy them over. You can manually edit them (via, e.g., Notepadd++) to change the color or hide the name. Afterwards refresh (see 3).

Warn:
An existing visualelementsanifest.xml in the target application root will be overwritten. An existing *filename*-mytile.png in the target application root will be overwritten.

Last edited:

Iron Doktor

Apr 17, 2010
Nice find! I noticed that Chrome also had a larger icon in recent builds, and a different colour for the background, and sure it enough, it has a visual manifest file. So does each of the Office 2016 apps.

rodalpho

Sep 17, 2013
There is no need for a companion universal app with the new TH2 release, that's the whole point. This is the "right" way to do it, and there's no reason for tilecreator or betterstartmenu to exist.

Well, they have much better UIs, as this is the very first proof of concept. But all we're talking about here is creating a textfile and copying a PNG image to the executable's directory, so I expect UIs will come soon enough. Very cool!

Iron Doktor

Apr 17, 2010
I started one today, with image & colour pickers, because if I am going to convert all my tiles, I don't want to do it by hand.

There is documentation in the MSDN library about this tile format, which was introduced in 8.1.

KreNtal

May 8, 2013
There is no need for a companion universal app with the new TH2 release, that's the whole point. This is the "right" way to do it, and there's no reason for tilecreator or betterstartmenu to exist.

Well, they have much better UIs, as this is the very first proof of concept. But all we're talking about here is creating a textfile and copying a PNG image to the executable's directory, so I expect UIs will come soon enough. Very cool!

I know it. But I would like to have features like: Big tiles, the ability to create tile outside the root of the start menu ('cause it's annoying and disordered to have so much apps spread on the start menu) and so on.

Iron Doktor

Apr 17, 2010
Reactions: KreNtal

CodilX

Jun 16, 2014
Thank you!! I didn't use the alternatives that had proxy applications, but now I can finally customize my start menu.

HOWEVER. I'm having troubles with changing tiles for applications under C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86), either the tile doesn't change, or the background turns black :/ I'm running your application as administrator, I've tried manually copying the tile.png to the appropriate directories - same result ..

fulvioval

Nov 15, 2015
Thank you!!! Nice app that I was looking for a long time. There is any way to read folders inside "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder? I'm asking this 'cause some apps like office are in folders and I don't want duplicate shortcuts...

Thanks again!

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
I know it. But I would like to have features like: Big tiles, the ability to create tile outside the root of the start menu ('cause it's annoying and disordered to have so much apps spread on the start menu) and so on.

Thank you!!! Nice app that I was looking for a long time. There is any way to read folders inside "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder? I'm asking this 'cause some apps like office are in folders and I don't want duplicate shortcuts...

Thanks again!

I uploaded a new version, which now lists all *.lnk it can find in the startmenu, i.e., also in subfolders.

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
Thank you!! I didn't use the alternatives that had proxy applications, but now I can finally customize my start menu.

HOWEVER. I'm having troubles with changing tiles for applications under C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86), either the tile doesn't change, or the background turns black :/ I'm running your application as administrator, I've tried manually copying the tile.png to the appropriate directories - same result ..

I encountered that "small icon on black background", too (Chrome and Firefox had this problem). I solved it by simply creating a new shortcut to the exe and copying it to the startmenu (deleting the old startmenu entry).

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
This does not seem to work for me, it's creating tile.png and firefox.visualelementsmanifest.xml (trying with Firefox) and the result when I add Firefox to my startmenu is the standard Firefox icon not the one I've tried to assign to it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AA20_zGiQOJCSA8&v=3&ithint=photo,PNG

Any idea what the cause may be?

create a new shortcut to firefox.exe and place it in the startmenu. then pin again. this should solve your issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 19.08.16: New design and a lot of refactoring. You can search now! Tiles are now saved with a filename-specific name. This means that tiles for applications in a common folder can be created! Added solution to MS Office applications (see below).
    Update 18.11.15: Separate images for small tiles supported (just don't select one if you want to use the same.) Deleting a custom tile is now possible (just click delete :p)
    Update 16.11.15: Startmenu items are not listed recursively, i.e., also startmenu subfolders are supported.

Dear all,

since Th2, Windows 10 allows for custom tiles via a visualmanifest.xml again. I created a small application that allows you to create custom tiles for any item in your startmenu. As this is completely native, jump lists and context menus are fully working and no other services are needed.

The app is extremely simple. It lists all your (root) shortcuts of your startmenu. Simply select one item (application target is then the location where the shortcut points to) and select an image. Hit save and you are done. Pin the shortcut as usual to your startscreen. The image is copied to the application directory.

If you intend to create tiles for apps like calculator, please consider the excellent tutorial given here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64055883&postcount=53

The app requires administrator privelegs to modify the creation time of the shortcut (otherwise the tile won't be refreshed).

Download: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile-20160819.rar (Disclaimer: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for whatsoever. App requests highest available rights.)

Source: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile-Source-2060819.rar I am releasing this source under CC BY-NC-SA: "This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms." I.e. modify it, publish it with source for free and give me credit. Program is written in c# (2013). The rar includes the complete Visual Studio solution.

App screenshot:
    mytile-teaser.png

Possible result:
    MyTile2.png

Icons mostly by http://dakirby309.deviantart.com/art/Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons-280724102

Solution to MS Office applications:
    It is not possible to create custom tiles for MS Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, etc. using this application. Somehow a custom tileimage in the corresponding visualelementsmanifest is ignored. However, it is easy to change the tile-images!
    1) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\LogoImages (For Office16, @razmth reports to look at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\LogoImages)
    2) Replace the respective tileimages. You only need to replace the -100.png images for a medium tile! For example, simply change the WinWordLogo.scale-100.png with a custom MS Word medium tile.
    3) Startmenu entry must be refreshed. Select the <NameOfMSOfficeApplication>.lnk in MyTile (it will point to something xlicons.exe). Click on refresh.
    Note: The original visualelementsmanifest.xml must remain. If you change them via this app, the above workaround does not work anymore. Get them from some other office installation and copy them over. You can manually edit them (via, e.g., Notepadd++) to change the color or hide the name. Afterwards refresh (see 3).

Warn:
    An existing visualelementsanifest.xml in the target application root will be overwritten. An existing *filename*-mytile.png in the target application root will be overwritten.
    Ok, I think, I repaired that issue. Please, try this version and tell me how it's working or not :p
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2KTe6TUC_8HSHBZVDVqaml5S28

Hi.
    I pretty much like win10Tile. But now I'm a bit confused when it comes to Tentile. Is it simply an awesome update that is bugged and we're hoping the dev keeps on working on it?
    I'm still working on it, but I'm learning everything when I write this code, so keep calm, it's not as easy as i thought :)

I probably get a bit off-topic now, but bet you could help me out here, too.
    As Tentile works for standard program tiles pretty great, how could I realize some live tiles showing my steam games with my achievements and playtime or tiles which show some of my RSS feeds?

I googled a ton of live tile or steam tile apps, but either they're not working the way they should or they are outdated.

What are your favorite (live) tile apps or ways to make your custom tiles.?
    Is there maybe a guide somewhere on how to make tiles manually, without 3rd party apps?

Thanks for your help.
    Although, keeping fingers crossed for an updated Tentiles version.
    unfortunately I can't help you with this. I just made here some simple things, thats all, making live tiles is not on my level :D
    Hi, i'm new here.
    I just made some few changes in your app and design.
    Now it's a lot easier to find app, to which you want to add tile, and now.... it's TENTILE :p

Screenshot: i.imgur com/H1xc2li.png

Download: drive.google com/folderview?id=0B2KTe6TUC_8HNmdMYjRER0poMzQ&usp=sharing
    (So sorry, new user, you must add dots before "com")

I will try to add more things if when I will have more time :)
    I think I'm going to give development on this a shot. Going through the source, it looks simple enough. I am seeing a lot of potential issues with trying to get write access to Program folders. All of that work should be moved to an AppData folder.

Only problem is I won't have a Win10 system up and running til this weekend.
    Awesome dude, it's mush easier to find apps now.
    No problem, I try do my best ;)

For everyone, I pass my all exams, so I will have now time to sit on this app. Wait for updates :)