[HOW TO] Root Nextbook8 Premium (and install market app) [UPDATED 1-17-12]

Search This thread

Sunnyboy167

Dec 19, 2009
NYC (Manhattan)
PLEASE BE ADVISED: THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST NO LONGER PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR THIS THREAD. HOWEVER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOMED TO CONTINUE USING THE FILES AND METHODS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. GOOD LUCK!!

INTRO: For all those searching the internet trying to find answers as to how to gain root on your Nextbook8 Premium and also gain access to the wonderful android market from which we were greatly deprived (as is the case with many low-priced tablets these days), the wait is over thanks to a certain someone who goes by the name of DEVMONKEY. Of course I take absolutely NO CREDIT for this and only took the liberty to re-write it thus adding a little more detail to the process. Enjoy!!!

DISCLAIMER​
***I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS PARTICULAR ROM WITH MY N8 WHEN I HAD IT BUT AS THE PROCEDURE TO FLASH IS STILL THE SAME ALL SHOULD GO WELL. HOWEVER, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN IF YOU USE THIS AND DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE. PLEASE FOLLOW ALL STEPS CAREFULLY***​

[HOW TO] Root and install Market on your Nextbook8 Premium​

UPDATE: This is post has been updated with a new rom to replace old one. Method of flashing is still the same so no worries. All those who want to upgrade to this rom from the one I previously posted in this guide when I first wrote it can just repeat the steps over again with the new rom package.​

This rom is based on Samhain's release: SamDroid v1.13

Modifications (mostly GUI / cosmetic tweaks):

1.) cifs.ko / slow-work.ko / nls_utf8.ko are in /system/lib/modules and can be loaded using Mount Manager app from the market. This will let you mount CIFS/SMB shares to the device.

2.) Honeycomb-like launcher and updated GUI icons. (you can change it to any Launcher you want)

A couple of things to note once you have installed the rom:
- It starts up in Italian, so open Android settings "Impostazioni" and go to the "Lingua e tastiera" setting, and change the "Seleziona lingua" to your preffered language.
- I've put a few wallpapers in /system/media that you can set full screen by going into Live Wallpapers and using the "Multipicture Live Wallpaper" set them to the screen.
- There are a few things (widgets) on the homescreen that don't work after initial boot, just remove them and add back whatever you want to the homescreen.
- Sleep of death issues seem to be fixed, and the camera works (Camera app works, but Skype and Fring don't work yet...).
- You can also grab Adobe Flash 11 from the market and it'll work correctly.
- This release boots MUCH faster, and is even more responsive than before.
- There is a cell standby issue that drains the battery more in theory so if you feel like that is happening with you just delete the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from /system/app. You can use ADB or you can use Root Explorer to do so. You will likely have to force a reboot because you'll start getting repetitive force closes once you do so, but it won't hurt anything. Once you reboot, all is well.

VERY IMPORTANT: After installing custom roms that also flash a custom recovery your N8 may reboot into the custom recovery. If this happens hit reboot system and only reboot system.

Download new rom from HERE and extract (using winRAR preferably) to your desktop or anywhere you choose. Location doesn't really matter for this guide to work.

NOTE: If you have anything you care about (like apps, notes etc.) on your N8 make sure you back it up now.

Step 1: Turn your N8 off.

Step 2: Press both Volume buttons down and plug the USB cord into the N8.

NOTE: On your screen you should see a bubble pop up in the lower-right corner saying "Installing drivers". Most likely it will say it can't find the drivers. This is normal. Continue following the steps to install the missing drivers.

Step 3: Open the Device manager by typing mmc devmgmt.msc into your "Run" box on XP or search box in start menu on Windows 7 and hitting enter (you can also find Device Manager in your Control Panel options in Windows 7).

Step 4: With your N8 still in an off state and plugged in via USB you should see a yellow exclamation symbol somewhere next to "Unknown Device" in the list of devices in the Device Manager. Right click on it and select "Update driver software".

Step 5: Now it will prompt you to choose how you want to search for it. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and it will bring up a window for you to navigate manually to the driver location which is in the "drivers" sub-folder in the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder. Select which ever system you have (32bit or 64bit) and then hit "OK". You might go thru one or two prompts before it actually installs. Just "OK" everything and you should be fine.

Step 6: Once the drivers are installed you are ready to flash. Go into the root of the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder and select RK29update.exe (right-click for Win7 users and Run as Admin).

Step 7: Now you should be at the interface of the program and at the bottom in bold words it should say "FOUND RKAndroid rock usb" (if it doesn't then it mean the drivers probably weren't installed correctly). This part is VERY IMPORTANT!! Make sure all of the boxes on the left are checked (should look like the pic below). The one at top is the one usually missing a check and would need to be checked by you.

Foundcheckboxes.png

Step 8: Once all boxes on the left are checked you are going to click on "EraseIDB" at the bottom and let it complete. Once that finishes click on "Run" and you will see a series of commands running in the right window pane (see pics below). Give it some time as it will probably take a few minutes. When it's done it should look like the second pic below.

Flashing.png

Done.png

Once the process is finished your NEXTBOOK should reboot into the recovery and reflash the OS. Congratulations!!! You now have an affordable rooted tablet with access to the Android Market!!

OTHER ROMS YOU CAN FLASH INSTEAD OF THE ONE IN THE ABOVE GUIDE:

Pisteone - [SDK 2.1] EXT4 Bluetooth 3G Root [Basic FW 1.0.21] ICS Style - LINK

Fintadroid - [FULL ROOT & EXT4] [BT & 3G] [FW.1.0.21 PRESTIGE] - LINK

ALL ROMS FOR NEXTBOOK8 - LINK (Be very careful and read before you flash)

Last edited:

sergio31

Dec 13, 2011
I signed up, so i can say thank you. this worked perfectly.. i was skeptical and scared i'd ruin this tablet, as i got it as a gift, and was obviously disappointed to see no market on it, but this worked. thank you.

ericabiz

Jul 11, 2011
Perfect! I have rooted many Android devices and this is one of the easiest ones. Just read the directions carefully and you'll do fine.

Hopefully someone will release an ICS update for this device soon..after using my Galaxy Nexus, Gingerbread seems so...obsolete.

Sunnyboy167

Dec 19, 2009
NYC (Manhattan)
I'm glad you enjoyed this info just as much as i did

To everyone YOU ARE WELCOME :) but please....the best way to thank me is by hitting the thank button at the bottom right of my post. Thanks!

@xxProphecyxx - here is a link for the nextbook7 http://gunnersbarn.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/how-to-install-android-market-to-nextbook-premium-7/ I don't see any root method listed on the site but im sure there is one out there if you want to root it too. Or you can even take a chance if youre brave and use a one click root based on the android version you have.

@ghi07 - All this method does is re-install the OS (which is Gingerbread to answer your question) with market and superuser.

@dalerious - I'm sorry but I don't have a Nextbook anymore but if I did I would definitely try my best to help you. Try doing the entire process over and see if that works. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

jgoody

Jul 12, 2008
THANK YOU!!!!

I was about to throw this tablet out the window!!! Followed the instructions and it works perfectly!!!! Thanks SO SO much!!!

limchris

Feb 22, 2008
Hi Sunnyboy,

Just want to say a big thank you for the detail post. I was about to give up on on this tablet when I came across your post.

Chris

caduser1971

Dec 29, 2011
help help!!!

hi sunny boy,

i just got my nextbook8 yesterday... come across this website and trying to root my nextbook last night at home...

I encounter this problem...when i plug in my nextbook into the PC USB ..it turn on from the off mode. and the pc started to scan the driver and it actually install successfully. I am running on win7. after that i cant install the driver required.. can anyone help me out here cos i try to run exe. file. it cant root my nextbook... i am helpless now...

:(

stormragetz

Dec 24, 2009
I am also having problem with the camera. I'll have this error:

The application Camera (process com.android.camera) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Batifan

Dec 30, 2011
HELP HELP HELP...not able to on the device after updated the driver....PC shows device found after plug in USB, which shows the device is working but just cannot on it.. a total IT dummy and not sure what's going on..someone said the ROM is damaged which cause this.....any way to recover the tablet..i just bought it for less than a week. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!! (tried reset but still no response)

xxProphecyxx

Nov 1, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
To everyone YOU ARE WELCOME :) but please....the best way to thank me is by hitting the thank button at the bottom right of my post. Thanks!

@xxProphecyxx - here is a link for the nextbook7 http://gunnersbarn.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/how-to-install-android-market-to-nextbook-premium-7/ I don't see any root method listed on the site but im sure there is one out there if you want to root it too. Or you can even take a chance if youre brave and use a one click root based on the android version you have.

@ghi07 - All this method does is re-install the OS (which is Gingerbread to answer your question) with market and superuser.

@dalerious - I'm sorry but I don't have a Nextbook anymore but if I did I would definitely try my best to help you. Try doing the entire process over and see if that works. Good luck! :)

I have already been to this website and successfully added the market to my Next7. I do want to root it and flash a custom ROM, but I have not found anything useful. Thanks though.

eybarra2

Jan 1, 2012
Austin
Rooted fine, thx a mil. Installed GOLAUNCHER EX and the icons were too big. Dl'd LCD resolution from market and decreased res from 160 to 140. To apply changes app reboots tablet. When it came back up, nextbook stuck on launch screen and I can't even turn it off!! This was my gf's xmas present from her parents!!! Any suggestions??

Last edited:

fongkit82

Sep 23, 2009
Rooted fine, thx a mil. Installed GOLAUNCHER EX and the icons were too big. Dl'd LCD resolution from market and decreased res from 160 to 140. To apply changes app reboots tablet. When it came back up, nextbook stuck on launch screen and I can't even turn it off!! This was my gf's xmas present from her parents!!! Any suggestions??

u can reboot the device by using a paperclip and press in the reset button. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Thanks for the detailed guide Sunnyboy167~ Anyway devmonkey just release a newer mod which works better than the previous. Do check it out ;)

Reactions: eybarra2

caduser1971

Dec 29, 2011
hi all,

I rooted my new nextbook8 ...and it works just nice...:)

just need some help on whether possible to use my iphone as a modem for my nextbook? as i realized it cant detect my wifi network from my iphone. While my colleague 's motorola zoom works fine with my iphone...any solution on this?

Caduser from singapore...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE BE ADVISED: THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST NO LONGER PROVIDES SUPPORT FOR THIS THREAD. HOWEVER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOMED TO CONTINUE USING THE FILES AND METHODS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. GOOD LUCK!!

INTRO: For all those searching the internet trying to find answers as to how to gain root on your Nextbook8 Premium and also gain access to the wonderful android market from which we were greatly deprived (as is the case with many low-priced tablets these days), the wait is over thanks to a certain someone who goes by the name of DEVMONKEY. Of course I take absolutely NO CREDIT for this and only took the liberty to re-write it thus adding a little more detail to the process. Enjoy!!!

DISCLAIMER​
    ***I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS PARTICULAR ROM WITH MY N8 WHEN I HAD IT BUT AS THE PROCEDURE TO FLASH IS STILL THE SAME ALL SHOULD GO WELL. HOWEVER, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN IF YOU USE THIS AND DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE. PLEASE FOLLOW ALL STEPS CAREFULLY***​

[HOW TO] Root and install Market on your Nextbook8 Premium​

UPDATE: This is post has been updated with a new rom to replace old one. Method of flashing is still the same so no worries. All those who want to upgrade to this rom from the one I previously posted in this guide when I first wrote it can just repeat the steps over again with the new rom package.​

This rom is based on Samhain's release: SamDroid v1.13

Modifications (mostly GUI / cosmetic tweaks):

1.) cifs.ko / slow-work.ko / nls_utf8.ko are in /system/lib/modules and can be loaded using Mount Manager app from the market. This will let you mount CIFS/SMB shares to the device.

2.) Honeycomb-like launcher and updated GUI icons. (you can change it to any Launcher you want)

A couple of things to note once you have installed the rom:
    - It starts up in Italian, so open Android settings "Impostazioni" and go to the "Lingua e tastiera" setting, and change the "Seleziona lingua" to your preffered language.
    - I've put a few wallpapers in /system/media that you can set full screen by going into Live Wallpapers and using the "Multipicture Live Wallpaper" set them to the screen.
    - There are a few things (widgets) on the homescreen that don't work after initial boot, just remove them and add back whatever you want to the homescreen.
    - Sleep of death issues seem to be fixed, and the camera works (Camera app works, but Skype and Fring don't work yet...).
    - You can also grab Adobe Flash 11 from the market and it'll work correctly.
    - This release boots MUCH faster, and is even more responsive than before.
    - There is a cell standby issue that drains the battery more in theory so if you feel like that is happening with you just delete the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from /system/app. You can use ADB or you can use Root Explorer to do so. You will likely have to force a reboot because you'll start getting repetitive force closes once you do so, but it won't hurt anything. Once you reboot, all is well.

VERY IMPORTANT: After installing custom roms that also flash a custom recovery your N8 may reboot into the custom recovery. If this happens hit reboot system and only reboot system.

Download new rom from HERE and extract (using winRAR preferably) to your desktop or anywhere you choose. Location doesn't really matter for this guide to work.

NOTE: If you have anything you care about (like apps, notes etc.) on your N8 make sure you back it up now.

Step 1: Turn your N8 off.

Step 2: Press both Volume buttons down and plug the USB cord into the N8.

NOTE: On your screen you should see a bubble pop up in the lower-right corner saying "Installing drivers". Most likely it will say it can't find the drivers. This is normal. Continue following the steps to install the missing drivers.

Step 3: Open the Device manager by typing mmc devmgmt.msc into your "Run" box on XP or search box in start menu on Windows 7 and hitting enter (you can also find Device Manager in your Control Panel options in Windows 7).

Step 4: With your N8 still in an off state and plugged in via USB you should see a yellow exclamation symbol somewhere next to "Unknown Device" in the list of devices in the Device Manager. Right click on it and select "Update driver software".

Step 5: Now it will prompt you to choose how you want to search for it. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and it will bring up a window for you to navigate manually to the driver location which is in the "drivers" sub-folder in the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder. Select which ever system you have (32bit or 64bit) and then hit "OK". You might go thru one or two prompts before it actually installs. Just "OK" everything and you should be fine.

Step 6: Once the drivers are installed you are ready to flash. Go into the root of the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder and select RK29update.exe (right-click for Win7 users and Run as Admin).

Step 7: Now you should be at the interface of the program and at the bottom in bold words it should say "FOUND RKAndroid rock usb" (if it doesn't then it mean the drivers probably weren't installed correctly). This part is VERY IMPORTANT!! Make sure all of the boxes on the left are checked (should look like the pic below). The one at top is the one usually missing a check and would need to be checked by you.

Foundcheckboxes.png

Step 8: Once all boxes on the left are checked you are going to click on "EraseIDB" at the bottom and let it complete. Once that finishes click on "Run" and you will see a series of commands running in the right window pane (see pics below). Give it some time as it will probably take a few minutes. When it's done it should look like the second pic below.

Flashing.png

Done.png

Once the process is finished your NEXTBOOK should reboot into the recovery and reflash the OS. Congratulations!!! You now have an affordable rooted tablet with access to the Android Market!!

OTHER ROMS YOU CAN FLASH INSTEAD OF THE ONE IN THE ABOVE GUIDE:

Pisteone - [SDK 2.1] EXT4 Bluetooth 3G Root [Basic FW 1.0.21] ICS Style - LINK

Fintadroid - [FULL ROOT & EXT4] [BT & 3G] [FW.1.0.21 PRESTIGE] - LINK

ALL ROMS FOR NEXTBOOK8 - LINK (Be very careful and read before you flash)
    The drivers

For the drivers try this.
    Please hit the Thanks button
    I'm glad you enjoyed this info just as much as i did

I can't seem to find the drivers, I don't know where to look for the Nextbook8root folder. Any advice would be much obliged.

Please read post number 49...
    Nextbook Next8p12

It would be pretty awesome if someone could work some magic with the Next8P12. It uses an AML processor instead of Rockchip and adb doesn't have root. I've been gathering and posting information here. I hope someone finds use for it and can help out as I'm not really that talented past information gathering.

---

[Update]
    Since several people are getting confused thinking the Next8p12 is the Next8SE or other Nextbook I have created an independent thread here to help/educate/recruit assistance.