[Q] Sound from one earpiece using headphone jack, common issue?

Search This thread

Zackarak

May 15, 2013
Hello,

I don't have a SGS3 but thinking of getting one. I've done some research and found a few threads mentioning an issue with the headphone jack.
They seem to get only sound from one earpiece if they use non-stock headphones.

Just wondering if this was an issue on the earlier batches or does it still exist? Here's one of the sites I found the issue being mentioned. Seems like I can't post a link yet so here's a quote.
Hi Seber Tech Team,

I am having the following 2 concerns with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I was hoping you could help.

First, when I plug in a headphone, only 1 speaker works. I have tested that headphone on other phones and it works fine. When I plug in auxiliary cable I only get sound out of 1 speaker, however, if I slightly pull the auxiliary plug out of the other end connection then I can get it to play in both speakers. I’m not sure why this is.

Second, the voice to text feature is inconsistent in that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t and gives a message that it can’t connect with Google at the moment. I do have the setting set to download offline speech recognition but I still have this happen periodically and about half the time I use it

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated

Keith

The Galaxy S3 has the typical 3.5mm headphone jack with four sections. This problem seldom happens when you’re using the original Samsung headphones/headsets. When you’re using just any 3.5mm headphones, there is a possibility audio pins cannot touch the right headphone contacts. That is why you have to pull the plug out a bit to produce a stereo (left and right) audio. I photoshopped a picture below just to give you a clearer explanation why using typical 3.5mm jacks may often lead to audio problems in Galaxy S3.

I'm using these headphones
Sennheiser HD-25-1-II
Sennheiser IE80
V-MODA M80

qtwrk

Sep 9, 2011
Barcelona
Hello,

I don't have a SGS3 but thinking of getting one. I've done some research and found a few threads mentioning an issue with the headphone jack.
They seem to get only sound from one earpiece if they use non-stock headphones.

Just wondering if this was an issue on the earlier batches or does it still exist? Here's one of the sites I found the issue being mentioned. Seems like I can't post a link yet so here's a quote.

I'm using these headphones
Sennheiser HD-25-1-II
Sennheiser IE80
V-MODA M80

Never heard of such things.

The 3.5 mm Jack is universal.

Only different is hands free and volume control may require particular headphones, but sound out is all the same to all 3.5 mm standard headphones
I am working in a mobile accessories shop, as far as I know.

There is type hands free earphones can be used on both iPhone and other Android phones (Samsung, HTC, LG
..etc )

And another type, capable of volume control, this type can only used on some specific devices, in this case Galaxy S3,Note 2, iPhone 4,5 etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Last edited:

Zackarak

May 15, 2013
Never heard of such things.

The 3.5 mm Jack is universal.

Only different is hands free and volume control may require particular headphones, but sound out is all the same to all 3.5 mm standard headphones
I am working in a mobile accessories shop, as far as I know.

There is type hands free earphones can be used on both iPhone and other Android phones (Samsung, HTC, LG
..etc )

And another type, capable of volume control, this type can only used on some specific devices, in this case Galaxy S3,Note 2, iPhone 4,5 etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Googling "galaxy s3 headphone jack issue" gives me lots of hits on the issue.