Search This thread

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
HTC HD2
Android version: 4.0.3
Rom: Gingerbread / IcecreamTosti

Description:

My HD2 suddenly had startup problems. When I pressed the power (end call) button, I got:
"cedesmith's LK (CLK) v1.4.0.1
... ... ...
[240] -- suspend --"

Now the only way I can start my phone is by pressing the windows (middle) button and at the same time the power (end call) button.

I then first get the HTC logo (white background) and after that de cedesmith text, then I let go of the buttons.

Sometimes I get the recovery menu and sometimes the HTC logo (black background) and the HD2 boots and I get the lockscreen

Also, the return button (<--) doesn't work and I can't turn of my phone by holding the power on/off (end call) button. Only the short press works, holding it pressed longer doesn't function.

Is the cause for this known and is this software- or hardware related?
Please let me know what the solution to this problem is

Ramon

joshnchen

Jan 6, 2011
Are you able to get to the tri colored screen? You do this by holding the volume down button as the phone is being powered on. If you can, I would suggest Task29 wiping it. You can do that with the Hd2 toolkit pretty easily.

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
I can use the windows key plus the power key to startup, however I cannot get in the boot menu (with this). Using the volume down key while the phone powers on doesn't do a thing.

So I can't get in boot menu, nor in tri color menu ... I was able to get in the boot menu however. Strange, but I can't anymore for some reason (tried it 10+ times)

http :// youtu . be/_5W6LLP4xdM

Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
These types of issues often tend to be hardware keys related, i've seen a few threads where disconnecting the bottom keys suddenly allowed you to get into bootloader again. WHether its the keys themselves, teh ribbon, or teh mainboard, who knows.
Not the kind of answer you were hoping to hear, im sure, and i cant swear that would work, it may not even be teh problem in your case, so im not advising you to start dismantling it, just sharing a few points gleaned from reading.

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
See my previous post

Going to dismantle it now
EDIT:

Removed four screws, heated front display. Started phone and was able to access recovery console (That's right, I have no idea why). Did a factory restore and the return key works. So now the power on off button only turns of teh screen and is not able to power off.

Last edited:

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
If you can somehow get adb to work try re-flashing the boot image from your kernel
> adb reboot bootloader
> fastboot flash boot boot.img
> fastboot reboot

just my 2 cents worth...

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
If you can somehow get adb to work try re-flashing the boot image from your kernel
> adb reboot bootloader
> fastboot flash boot boot.img
> fastboot reboot

just my 2 cents worth...

The problem is, I can't load the bootloader (three color screen).
So:
> adb reboot bootloader
Doesn't work. I get the white HTC screen and than cLK screen.

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
To rule out software issue try putting leoimg.nbh on the root of your sdcard and boot phone this will try to install clk 1.5 and cwm recovery if pressing the power key initiates the install ..:rolleyes:
Details here....http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402975...
go to post 3 .. download is there too..

otherwise

could be a stuck key.....

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

See my previous post

Going to dismantle it now
EDIT:

Removed four screws, heated front display. Started phone and was able to access recovery console (That's right, I have no idea why). Did a factory restore and the return key works. So now the power on off button only turns of teh screen and is not able to power off.

didn't see this...

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
Doing this

Pressing power key causes clk: suspend

LEOIMG.NBH is in root

"enter SPL by holding VOL DOWN key while powering/resting the phone.
Press power button to install the nbh and then take out the battery for a second and power the device up."

The volume down key thing doesnt work with the phone. The only thing that works is the windows key + on/off key

Last edited:

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
sorry might of misled you just boot phone wait for prompt, it should see the nbh file and ask do you want to install...

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

:(ya my mistake, really looks like a hardware problem:(

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
sorry might of misled you just boot phone wait for prompt, it should see the nbh file and ask do you want to install...

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

:(ya my mistake, really looks like a hardware problem:(

The keys work, i've tested this in the recovery console. However in the operating system, they don't all work. Return doesn't (always) work.

How can i suddenly have boot problems along with key problems ?? Could it be a result of repeatedly dropping the phone ??

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Could be a hairline crack in the ribbon or the mainboard, could be a slightly unseated ribbon connector, could be a single solder that has come lose but is still half connecting, could be an issue with the power delivery where the switchover from initial boot power to controlled power management is causing problems.

Ramusters

Mar 10, 2012
Groningen
Could be a hairline crack in the ribbon or the mainboard, could be a slightly unseated ribbon connector, could be a single solder that has come lose but is still half connecting, could be an issue with the power delivery where the switchover from initial boot power to controlled power management is causing problems.
Going to open up the entire phone tomorrow, to check everything (as far as possible)

EDIT: The key problem was most likely caused by a fracture in the ribbon. The ribbon broke when disassembled. Before I order a new ribbon, can someone tell me why then I get bootloader messages? Is this or could this be related to the ribbon problem? Because if it is not, there is no use in ordering a new ribbon

Last edited: