[Kernel][AOSP][ICS] Safe CWM6/TWRP

Search This thread

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
***This kernel is still in active development, and currently in testing, flash at your own risk... I DO NOT currently have this device, if you think that is a hindrance to my ability to develop for it, then wait for someone with the device to make a better kernel. Don't flash this one, then ***** about it not working right. The second post is updated by FrancIsBacon regularly with the status of the test kernels.. and I delete the bad ones as soon as I get negative feedback. If you would like to be more active in testing join us in #ICS-DEV-E4GT on freenode.***

My build process automatically uploads every kernel I build to my goo.im folder, so if you aren't in the testing mood, you should probably read post 2, or maybe the thread a little before flashing one of them...

Here you go, latest installment...

http://goo.im/devs/chris41g/CM/Kernel

http://chris41g.devphone.org/index.php?dir=EpicTouch/CM9/Kernel/

Built from source.. with CWM6 and is patched for safety..

It is for AOSP roms only atm, will add a TW version in a little while.

a couple of added features:

New Schedulers
SIO
VR
New Governors
LulzActive
SmartassV2
Hotplug
Pegasusq
CWMv6
Patched eMMC
Battery Tweaks
Speed Tweaks
So much **** I can't being to remember or list it all...
good thing I have this:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_kernel_samsung_epic4gtouch/commits/ics/

Full source:

https://github.com/EpicAOSP/android_kernel_samsung_epic4gtouch

Mucho thanks to:
TeamEpic
Cyanogen
CyanogenMOD team
Shabbypenguin
All my testers on freenode #ICS-DEV-E4GT
slick_rick
orrkis
FranceIsBacon
netarchy
gokhanmoral
Entropy512
codeworkx
Tons more...

Last edited:

FranceIsBacon

May 1, 2012
Orlando, FL
News Update for those that are watching this thread like a hawk: Ever since the a la carte kernels stopped churning out as they had been and chris had started making whole experimental CM9 builds, I had neglected to update. Chris is on his final push before submitting his work to CM in the attempt to get the inclusion of our device into the CM device tree. Really, that is right around the corner. One last major kink to work on, and that's 4G tethering. Once that is fixed, Chris is trying for official.

TL;DR Official CM inclusion hopefully right around the corner!

I see a lot of the same questions being asked throughout the thread, so I'll put up this handy FAQ. People are also seeing chris's newest test kernels on his goo and flashing them. It's fine, and welcomed, but don't expect them all to work. For those who don't want to test out a kernel that isn't confirmed to be working, I will maintain a list of working kernel release candidates at the bottom of this post, unless chris41g starts updating this thread himself with that info.

FAQ:

Q: Will this work on TW roms?
A: No. As stated in the OP, this kernel is for AOSP only.

Q: Will this work with AOKP at all?
A: Please bear in mind that there is no official AOKP for this phone yet, so there are many different builds. Only builds with an AOSP initramfs, like chris41g's AOKP, will work with this kernel. We also have reports that AOKP build M5 by Times_Infinity functions with this kernel, and the TabUI mod runs well with it. Thanks sjsharksfan420!

Q: Will this kernel work with MIUI?
A: There have been some reports of success, but the same issue lies here as with AOKP. There is no official MIUI for our device,so only builds with an AOSP initramfs will work.

Q: What roms will this kernel work for?
A: This kernel has been tested on Cm9 and chris41g's AOKP build and works beautifully on both.

Q: Is this FF18?
A: No. This is a custom kernel built from the kernel source code. FF18 is what was packaged with the OTA.

Q: Which governor/IO scheduler should I use?
A: That is completely up to you. There are positive reports of the pegasusq and sio combo working really well.

Q: What is the default scheduler?
A: CFQ

Q: Can I set the scheduler without a 3rd party app.?
A: Not at this time. Use setcpu or no-frills CPU Control for now. Or any other app you prefer for that matter.

Q: Can we overclock?
A:
Also this kernel release does not over clock. As I'm trying to merge with the kernel with smdk4210 and hopefully gain inclusion as an officially supported device. I'll release an overclock version when I release a TW version.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Q: Can we underclock?
A: There are reports of instability and boot loops with underclocking. Proceed with caution.

Q: Can we adjust CPU voltage?
A: Not yet. At least, it's not natively supported. There are reports of success with apps like Tegrak Ultimate.

Q: Will this be packaged with cm9?
A: It is now packaged with the nightlies.

Q: Is this kernel 41g certified?
A:
cert.png

Q: Why are other frequently asked questions not on this list?
A: I didn't see them, or I didn't remember them at the time of writing this. I will update this post if necessary, but if you think something that isn't here should be, let me know and I'll update it.

List of confirmed working kernel release candidates: 41g-CWM-RC13, 41g-TWRP-RC13, and Control 12 ONLY so far. Sorry, forgot to include the control kernel. Chris has stopped butting out a la carte kernels for now and has been cranking out experimental builds. If you want the latest and greatest, flash one of his CM9 builds. As of 8/23/2012 at 10:21 AM, MyspoonisTooBIG is the name of the latest stable build. The builds have reached a point of consistent stability, meaning unless something was wrong with the upload, you should not be having any strange issues or having to deal with dead pets, so flash away.

That's all for now.

Still running beautifully!

Last edited:

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL

New Schedulers
SIO
VR
New Governors
LulzActive
SmartassV2
Hotplug
Pegasusq
CWMv6
Patched eMMC
Battery Tweaks
Speed Tweaks

41g CERTIFIED!

good thing I have this:

Full source:

Fixed your OP chris

Last edited:

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
Oooh so we can now change governors and overclock on cm9 now?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

mazostyle

Oct 11, 2011
Woooo. I was a tester! (TheMaz5 on freenode) You rock Chris! Awesome job bro

Reactions: elzero26

im0rtalz

Mar 22, 2010
Boston
He did this while having no phone, just crazy...this guy is crazy. There was endless work going on non-stop thanks for all that you do sir. :beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: slick_rick

KingRedHot

Oct 31, 2010
Baton Rouge
THIS is Epic! We've all being waiting for this for so long! And Chris just drops the ball and walks off like a Boss lol

Downloading Now ^_^ Thank You for your efforts Chris :)

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
Thanks chris! Def gonna be lurking around your Git tonight...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***This kernel is still in active development, and currently in testing, flash at your own risk... I DO NOT currently have this device, if you think that is a hindrance to my ability to develop for it, then wait for someone with the device to make a better kernel. Don't flash this one, then ***** about it not working right. The second post is updated by FrancIsBacon regularly with the status of the test kernels.. and I delete the bad ones as soon as I get negative feedback. If you would like to be more active in testing join us in #ICS-DEV-E4GT on freenode.***

My build process automatically uploads every kernel I build to my goo.im folder, so if you aren't in the testing mood, you should probably read post 2, or maybe the thread a little before flashing one of them...

Here you go, latest installment...

http://goo.im/devs/chris41g/CM/Kernel

http://chris41g.devphone.org/index.php?dir=EpicTouch/CM9/Kernel/

New Schedulers
    SIO
    VR
    New Governors
    LulzActive
    SmartassV2
    Hotplug
    Pegasusq
    CWMv6
    Patched eMMC
    Battery Tweaks
    Speed Tweaks
    good thing I have this:

Full source:

Mucho thanks to:
    TeamEpic
    Cyanogen
    CyanogenMOD team
    Shabbypenguin
    All my testers on freenode #ICS-DEV-E4GT
    slick_rick
    orrkis
    FranceIsBacon
    netarchy
    gokhanmoral
    Entropy512
    codeworkx
    Tons more...
    News Update for those that are watching this thread like a hawk: Ever since the a la carte kernels stopped churning out as they had been and chris had started making whole experimental CM9 builds, I had neglected to update. Chris is on his final push before submitting his work to CM in the attempt to get the inclusion of our device into the CM device tree. Really, that is right around the corner. One last major kink to work on, and that's 4G tethering. Once that is fixed, Chris is trying for official.

TL;DR Official CM inclusion hopefully right around the corner!

I see a lot of the same questions being asked throughout the thread, so I'll put up this handy FAQ. People are also seeing chris's newest test kernels on his goo and flashing them. It's fine, and welcomed, but don't expect them all to work. For those who don't want to test out a kernel that isn't confirmed to be working, I will maintain a list of working kernel release candidates at the bottom of this post, unless chris41g starts updating this thread himself with that info.

FAQ:

Q: Will this work on TW roms?
    A: No. As stated in the OP, this kernel is for AOSP only.

Q: Will this work with AOKP at all?
    A: Please bear in mind that there is no official AOKP for this phone yet, so there are many different builds. Only builds with an AOSP initramfs, like chris41g's AOKP, will work with this kernel. We also have reports that AOKP build M5 by Times_Infinity functions with this kernel, and the TabUI mod runs well with it. Thanks sjsharksfan420!

Q: Will this kernel work with MIUI?
    A: There have been some reports of success, but the same issue lies here as with AOKP. There is no official MIUI for our device,so only builds with an AOSP initramfs will work.

Q: What roms will this kernel work for?
    A: This kernel has been tested on Cm9 and chris41g's AOKP build and works beautifully on both.

Q: Is this FF18?
    A: No. This is a custom kernel built from the kernel source code. FF18 is what was packaged with the OTA.

Q: Which governor/IO scheduler should I use?
    A: That is completely up to you. There are positive reports of the pegasusq and sio combo working really well.

Q: What is the default scheduler?
    A: CFQ

Q: Can I set the scheduler without a 3rd party app.?
    A: Not at this time. Use setcpu or no-frills CPU Control for now. Or any other app you prefer for that matter.

Q: Can we overclock?
    A:
    Also this kernel release does not over clock. As I'm trying to merge with the kernel with smdk4210 and hopefully gain inclusion as an officially supported device. I'll release an overclock version when I release a TW version.

Q: Can we underclock?
    A: There are reports of instability and boot loops with underclocking. Proceed with caution.

Q: Can we adjust CPU voltage?
    A: Not yet. At least, it's not natively supported. There are reports of success with apps like Tegrak Ultimate.

Q: Will this be packaged with cm9?
    A: It is now packaged with the nightlies.

Q: Is this kernel 41g certified?
    A:
    cert.png

Q: Why are other frequently asked questions not on this list?
    A: I didn't see them, or I didn't remember them at the time of writing this. I will update this post if necessary, but if you think something that isn't here should be, let me know and I'll update it.

List of confirmed working kernel release candidates: 41g-CWM-RC13, 41g-TWRP-RC13, and Control 12 ONLY so far. Sorry, forgot to include the control kernel. Chris has stopped butting out a la carte kernels for now and has been cranking out experimental builds. If you want the latest and greatest, flash one of his CM9 builds. As of 8/23/2012 at 10:21 AM, MyspoonisTooBIG is the name of the latest stable build. The builds have reached a point of consistent stability, meaning unless something was wrong with the upload, you should not be having any strange issues or having to deal with dead pets, so flash away.

That's all for now.

Still running beautifully!

Trolls will not be tolerated at all. I'm not playing around anymore. Cleaned and infractions handed. If all you're going to do is provide the community with trolling posts, then XDA has no need for you. You have been warned.
    OMG I was using that unsafe kernel for data wipes etc. went back to stock and now I'm effing paranoid to flash anything :( I think flashing and tinkering just ended for me for a while. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me clarify, the kernel was still safe for wiping and all operations, the only risk involved flashing a rom where the updater binary was built from Ics source where the ext4 utils weren't patched. The kernel still had protection, but one layer was lost in a broken merge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium