[REF] The HTC Vision (Desire Z & G2) Radio ROM & Official BLs Thread

Search This thread

ludow

Jul 9, 2010
Hello guys! Dangerous or not, but I am coming from Samsung. I am new to Desire.
I need more information and search is not always my friend.

Flashing Desire Z is new to me, so bare with me. :eek:

ssyed

May 22, 2007
oh its a sevenzip, its still a zip file but more compressed.

They will need to be turned into a normal flashable.zip before they can be flashed.

I tried to extract the the radio from file posted here, then made a .zip version and tried to install it from clockwork recovery, but that did not work.

I really want to update the radio because I have horrible reception on this phone, most of the time the data speeds are very slow and phone calls go straight to voice mail. My previous phones haven't been this bad, in terms of reception and I believe its a radio firmware issue rather than the hardware.

If you can, please help on how to update the radio...

thanks

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I tried to extract the the radio from file posted here, then made a .zip version and tried to install it from clockwork recovery, but that did not work.

I really want to update the radio because I have horrible reception on this phone, most of the time the data speeds are very slow and phone calls go straight to voice mail. My previous phones haven't been this bad, in terms of reception and I believe its a radio firmware issue rather than the hardware.

What radio version do you have right now ? I have a version that is more up to date than any in this thread, though I don't know how to dump it.

This current thread needs sorting out. It's out-of-date now and doesn't include any details of how to flash the radios etc. If the original poster isn't going to maintain it, then perhaps we need a new thread ?

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
Haven't put any guide on how to update the Radio ROM because at the moment you should really know what you're doing. And if you don't know how it's better not to do this.

Anyway, if you've got a ROM with updated Radio, please PM the link to me and I'll extract it and put it here :)

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Haven't put any guide on how to update the Radio ROM because at the moment you should really know what you're doing. And if you don't know how it's better not to do this.

Anyway, if you've got a ROM with updated Radio, please PM the link to me and I'll extract it and put it here :)

I've PM'd you about this.

I don't really understand the first bit of your response though. Without instructions, how are people expected to know what they're doing ? You could say the same thing about rooting/S-OFF, e.g. best not to give a guide because people should know what they're doing ? :confused:

wire_weaver

Dec 7, 2010
Do different radio versions result in different signal strengths ?

I have an unlocked DZ from Bell Mobility in Canada, I am using it on an 850MHz 3G network in Australia (Telstra, NextG).

When I do a side by side comparison of the signal strength between a Desire and a Desire Z, the DZ is typically 1-2 bars less (approx 4-6 asu less).

I would like to see if downgrading the radio firmware in the DZ will resolve this difference. My radio firmware baseband version is slightly different to the latest on the first post. It is:

12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M
with no "Vision_RADIO_" in the string.

The latest listed is:
Vision_RADIO_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26

If you have upgraded to the latest version, did you notice a reduction in the signal strength ? Desire users noticed this when they installed Froyo and it also updated their baseband radio version.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=747104

SN4K3B1T3

Aug 21, 2010
Vancouver
I have an unlocked DZ from Bell Mobility in Canada, I am using it on an 850MHz 3G network in Australia (Telstra, NextG).

When I do a side by side comparison of the signal strength between a Desire and a Desire Z, the DZ is typically 1-2 bars less (approx 4-6 asu less).

I would like to see if downgrading the radio firmware in the DZ will resolve this difference. My radio firmware baseband version is slightly different to the latest on the first post. It is:

The latest listed is:

If you have upgraded to the latest version, did you notice a reduction in the signal strength ? Desire users noticed this when they installed Froyo and it also updated their baseband radio version.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=747104

Your probably not going to want to downgrade the radio...alot of the times people brick there phone when they do this...so ive heard...i stand to be corrected tho! I would suggest verification before proceeding to downgrade the radio

Sent from my HTC DesireZed

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK

The latest listed is:

They're the same. I'm not sure what that "U" and "M" mean but I'm sure that the numbers are what matters. I don't think my DZ's signal is that fantastic either, but we're going need to wait for further updates, it seems.

wire_weaver

Dec 7, 2010
modified death grip

Thanks steviewevie and 1337droid for your replies. I think I have worked out what the problem is

After doing plenty of reading and experimentation, I can now get my HTC Desire Z to display a similar signal strength to my wife's HTC Desire as long as I don't hold the DZ in some modified death grip.

Who would have thought. If I hold my DZ along its side and don't place any part of my fingers or hand against the rear (mainly lower) surface, the signal strength matches the Desire to within 1-2 asu. (the formula for asu = (Signal Strength in dBm + 113) x 2). The more I touch the rear, the more the signal strength degrades on the DZ. I don't have a rubber bumper or case for it, as this was Steve Jobs' solution for Apple's iphone 4 antenna issues.

This is not a major inconvenience to me as I have never had a call drop out yet even if I do hold the phone in a sub-optimal manner, but having it hover on zero bars during a call when inside my home or workplace is a bit unsettling. From now on I will consciously hold the phone on the edges with my pinkie along the bottom edge during a call - this is not an un-natural way for me to hold it.

The other thing which initially made comparisons more confusing for me is that the response time is slower on the DZ. This is the time it takes to increase its signal strength in response to external changes (like changed handgrip, or changes to its physical location relative to internal/external walls etc.)

witm01

Aug 12, 2007
The more I touch the rear, the more the signal strength degrades on the DZ. I don't have a rubber bumper or case for it, as this was Steve Jobs' solution for Apple's iphone 4 antenna issues.
In this case rubber cases and the likes wouldn't help improving your signal quality. The reason they help with the Iphone is that its antenna can actually be short-circuited by bridging that gap with your fingers. Obviously with the DZ's internal antenna, this is not possible here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the HTC Vision (TMOUS G2 and Desire Z) Radio ROM & Official BLs Thread!

Well, my old HD2 Radio ROM Thread became a reference for all HD2 users, so.. I'm retrying this here now :)

Radio ROM Downloads:

Vision_RADIO_12.28e.60.140f_26.04.02.17: MegaUpload
    Vision_RADIO_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26: MegaUpload
    Vision_RADIO_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.18: MegaUpload
    Vision_RADIO_12.28a.60.140e_26.03.02.08: MegaUpload
    Vision_RADIO_12.26.60.1301_26.02.00.24: MegaUpload
    Vision_TMOUS_RADIO_12.21.60.09b_26.02.01.15 (G2): MegaUpload

Official hBoot Downloads:

Vision_HBOOT_0.85.0005: MegaUpload
    Vision_HBOOT_0.85.0002: MegaUpload
    Vision_TMOBILE_HBOOT_0.82.0000 (G2): MegaUpload

Installing:

0. Make sure you've got the ENGINEERING HBOOT installed on your device!
    1. Download the archive
    2. Decompress it, you'll have a .img file (its name should be "radio.img")
    3. Copy it into your fastboot folder
    4. Boot your device into FastBoot mode and connect it to your PC via USB
    5. Go into your Android SDK folder with CMD (Windows) or Linux terminal
    6. Flash the Radio on your device: "fastboot flash radio radio.img"
    7. Wait until the process finishes. You should read "COMPLETE" on your device's display.
    8. Reboot
    9. Enjoy!

Please note that you should flash a new radio only if you really know what you're doing!

NOTE: 26.04.02.17 is known to work on G2 and most probably all the radios are flashable on both G2 and D-Z.

Happy flashing!
    -kholk
    I think the general consensus is it's safer to flash the radio (and HBOOT/SPL) from fastboot unless it's a radio specifically for the device. With the G1, after a lot of debate, it was discovered that it was being bricked when flashing the SPL with the wrong radio in recovery, and that it was actually borking the recovery partition. I think this is the thread that explains it. Again, the above thread is in regard to the G1, but I believe a good reason why it's better to flash via fastboot.

That doesn't apply to the G2 as all SPLs and radios are compatible, so far...
    The main reason is that fastboot won't let you flash a corrupt radio where as a zip will flash indiscriminately in recovery.

It's also a good detriment from flash happy noobs. They should take the time to learn and figure out what an spl is.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
    Do you by chance know of any other way to flash this new radio without fastboot from a computer. I've tried several times to get fastboot to work on my laptop and it just won't. I've used SDK on several phones in the past but just dosen't seem to play nice with my G2.

Well, I attached a file "android-info.txt". Pack it with radio.img in a single ZIP file.

Then rename it as "PC10IMG.zip" and copy it to the root of your SD card.

Finally, start the phone in hboot BOOTLOADER and wait a minute, it will automatically update the radio without connecting to the PC.

It works for me, hope it helps!
    So a (probably silly) question on radio ROMs......
    Is it possible to change the frequency your handset operates at by changing the ROM, or is the frequency determined by the hardware?

The reason I'm asking is that I also have a Bell Canada handset (850/1900 MHz) which works fine when I'm at home in Australia, but won't work if I'm travelling through Asia which I do quite regularly. Is it possible to get a custom 850/2100MHz ROM?

That would be hardware..you can't actually change the frequency of the phone..the radio is the software side of things as far as I know...you could probably use it in asia but only get 2g data..I know :(

Sent from my HTC DesireZed
    All the links are dead :S

Could you please re-link?

This is an old thread, to find more updated links see here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43195539

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium