[GUIDE] a how to [DUAL/MULTI-BOOT]-[UPDATED and fixed again15/7/14]

Search This thread

gav83collins

Dual / Multiple Rom Booting For Our HTC Evo 3D
Jelly Bean - Gingerbread - Ice Cream Sandwich - Paranoid Android
all "booting" succesfully

new edits 15/07/2014
im now gonna try kitkat and other rom versions, bare with me though, i only just got my new phone
s offed, unlocked bootloader, rooted and recovery all done, but now i gotta trial and error roms

ive noticed bootmanager fails to download neccessary files, i think this is due to the init 2 winit servers no longer online
but i have a fix, download my titanium back files in attachments, and place on your sd in your tb back up folder, then restore data, worked for me​

But......
also compatible with HTC Desire, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire S, HTC Supersonic 4g, HTC Incredible 1, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible s, HTC Inspire 4g, HTC Vision, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid 2 global, Motorola Droid x, Nexus One, MyTouch 4g, Samsung Galaxy Nexus

If you have a device above and want help please pm the link to your thread

AS MENTIONED ON DRIPPLER

\/\/\/\/
\/\/\/
\/\/
\/

<ROM 1 <ROM 2 ROM 3> Rom 4>

First things first

S-off and Root required

"At the moment" Aroma scripted Roms and Kernels are not yet compatible on slot 2+, unless restoring from a Nand backup, which is pre configured​

:victory: Good luck, and enjoy :victory:

STEPS ON HOW TO DO IT

1. ensure your happy with the current state of your main/daily rom
2. NAND - back it up
3. download, install and configure either the free boot manager lite app or the pro version
4. NAND - back it up (not necessary, but advised)
5. download your scondary rom zip
6. open your downloaded bootloader app and slide accross to slot 1
7. install your chosen rom (do not wipe anything on first install)
DO NOT BOOT SECONDARY ROM
8. NAND - back it up, again (if your low on sd space, delete your earliest nand, and then next etc etc)
9. open boot manager when booted, and slide to slot 1, and boot rom
10. "Ta da". your now dual booting,
11, repeat these steps for further slots for tri/quad/etc booting

Tips

DO NOT RUN V6 SUPERCHARGER OR SIMILAR SCRIPTS ON ANY ROM OTHER THAN PHONE ROM, YOU WILL GET STUCK IN A BOOT LOOP

DO NOT SET UP PHONE ROM WHILE BOOTED TO A SLOT ROM

revert hboot
(read below and follow my guide)

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HELP
PLEASE READ ALL THIS, BELOW, BEFORE TRYING STEP 1

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HBOOT

after a major error recently I' found that for some reason I was struggling to even dual/tri/quad boot, after reverting to stock ics and updating my hboot to 1.49.0053 , I managed to find a patch to revert my hboot back to its original 1.49.0007 , il attach below, I recommend everyone flash this GO USE THE GUIDE HERE , all you do is place on root of your sd card (GSM USERS ONLY AS FAR IS I'M AWARE (CDMA TESTING APPRECIATED)), Then boot into bootloader and select yes when it reads the PG86IMG, I found after going back to this hboot , bootmanager was then able to edit boot.IMG correctly again

(added ALL CID'S to the pg86img.zip android text folder)
WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE

AROMA ROMS / KERNELS

Some people are having issues with certain roms/aroma scripted roms, the best way around it is to set up all roms on phone Rom slot (main) then back up, restore your original Rom to main, boot it, then in boot manager . Restore nands of other set up roms to other slots

SWITCHING ROMS​

Ensure all roms you want to boot into and out of, are Gapps (google apps) installed, ensure you have set up phone in bootmanager while booted to your phone Rom, and that you have opened boot manager in your slot rom(s) at least once so bootmanager app can download files needed and to write folders to sd

BOOT IMG​

If you find that your bootmanager can't create boot.IMG (not edit), navigate to the bootmanager folder on your sd, find the boot.img file in the slot your trying to install on, delete it, then restart bootmanager , and it should create it without problems,
IF NOT,
Try putting boot.img in the rom1/rom2/whateverslot you are using n the bootmanager folder on the sd card, then try just installing a different kernel to overwrite it, so it fixes it. thanks to meangrenie or making this common knowledge

if you ever run into problems, pull the battery, boot to hboot, select recovery, and flash the update.zip inside the phoneRom directory. It writes your backed up boot image. thanks too $MyName for making this common knowledge

BUGS​

(currently)
When booted to a jellybean Rom there is a charging/battery reading issue and in some cases data drop/connection problems

...................................................................................................................

THANKS​

Please go here for full developer support
http://init2winitapps.com/stories/B...://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=469311"]Pauly_k , for bringing the app to my attention​

Attachments

• PG86IMG.zip
    381.5 KB · Views: 550
  • TitaniumBackup.rar
    2.5 MB · Views: 307
Last edited:

gav83collins

Youtube videos

sorry about the quality, had to do a lot of converting to get youtube to allow it, and also to keep my data down, using 3g

part 2 begins 3 seconds before part 1 ends, just to show it is 1 complete video with no breaks in recording

Part 1

Part 2

HERES A VIDEO OF ME NINO-BOOTING BETWEEN
Jelly Bean , Paranoid Android, Gingerbread and ICS Roms,
some stock, some custom​

Last edited:

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
Dual booting jellybean&Meanrom 1.9

Phone:HTC Evo 3D CMDA
HTC Sense:3.6
Software number:MeanROM ICS v1.9
Kernel version:?????
Baseband version:1.06.00.1216
Build number:1.13.662.2_RC
HBOOT:1.50 S-off (juopunutbear)
Recovery:4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.5 RC 5

Roca22

Jun 17, 2012
Thank, I'm using its apk the different 3 ROM ( gingerbre, Mwakious and Yoda).

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using xda app-developers app

msuug

Jan 31, 2010
ok i'm maybe having a slow moment. are there any stock unrooted rom zips that are compatible with this app.
because i couldn't find any stock unrooted rom zips.
or is it possible to dowload an ruu exe, and rename it to ruu zip
gingerbread preferred

mnomaanw

Jul 29, 2011
No, the app requires root to work.
So, if you install any unrooted Rom in a slot , you will not be able to boot back to phone Rom. Your phone Rom needs to be rooted to install any other Rom on a slot.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

ok i'm maybe having a slow moment. are there any stock unrooted rom zips that are compatible with this app.
because i couldn't find any stock unrooted rom zips.
or is it possible to dowload an ruu exe, and rename it to ruu zip
gingerbread preferred
:p

Reactions: msuug

marC00Linho

May 11, 2012
Zagreb

Sounds great! i will surely try this out.

No more endless recovery circles like wipe cache/dalvik, install from zip blah blah restore etc.

Could be very practical.

Is it reliable once its up and runnig?

bohdee

Aug 18, 2009
Hello everybody, I need a help, the program installed correctly but when I boot my phone in the second rom not leave the screen of htc.

gav83collins

Hello everybody, I need a help, the program installed correctly but when I boot my phone in the second rom not leave the screen of htc.

Are you sure your second Rom is a complete version ? Bootable normally as a main Rom ? If it is. Restore from your most recent back up and try again, bit give your dalvik cache a wipe , once you have restored your back up and before trying again

Reactions: bohdee

mnomaanw

Jul 29, 2011
flash the zip located in bootmanager/phonerom....in recovery and you should be able to boot your phone Rom just fine.

Reactions: bohdee

marC00Linho

May 11, 2012
Zagreb
It works

Thanks 4 the guide!

Works as it is declared. I installed the free app and installed a ROM to slot1.

Unfortunately the app needs constant internet connection? Well i had a situation where the installed rom had a Wi-fi issue and I coludn't start the app and boot back to my phone ROM. That's a bit of a shortcoming. Or it may be that I don't see all the issues straight (why there has to be an internet connection at all for the app to do its thing)

One more thing... the installed ROM had taken 2GB of space on my SDCARD. And a 4ext recovery backup takes up to 1GB max.

gav83collins

Thanks 4 the guide!

Works as it is declared. I installed the free app and installed a ROM to slot1.

Unfortunately the app needs constant internet connection? Well i had a situation where the installed rom had a Wi-fi issue and I coludn't start the app and boot back to my phone ROM. That's a bit of a shortcoming. Or it may be that I don't see all the issues straight (why there has to be an internet connection at all for the app to do its thing)

One more thing... the installed ROM had taken 2GB of space on my SDCARD. And a 4ext recovery backup takes up to 1GB max.

If you read the guide again, I tell you to nand back up at each step, and give information on how to keep both roms safe and working and if neccessary, delete a back up before making a new ,one also I use a 32gb sd, and I use 4 ext, latest, and I've never had a problem backing up, its also such a big back up, because it backs up, both roms , every back up. Try re reading the guide and starting again with your daily Rom

Last edited:

mnomaanw

Jul 29, 2011
if you are connected to internet/wifi it will take time to start , if you turn them off, it will start quickly....

Last edited:
Reactions: gav83collins

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dual / Multiple Rom Booting For Our HTC Evo 3D
    Jelly Bean - Gingerbread - Ice Cream Sandwich - Paranoid Android
    all "booting" succesfully

new edits 15/07/2014
    im now gonna try kitkat and other rom versions, bare with me though, i only just got my new phone
    s offed, unlocked bootloader, rooted and recovery all done, but now i gotta trial and error roms

ive noticed bootmanager fails to download neccessary files, i think this is due to the init 2 winit servers no longer online
    but i have a fix, download my titanium back files in attachments, and place on your sd in your tb back up folder, then restore data, worked for me​

But......
    also compatible with HTC Desire, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire S, HTC Supersonic 4g, HTC Incredible 1, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible s, HTC Inspire 4g, HTC Vision, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid 2 global, Motorola Droid x, Nexus One, MyTouch 4g, Samsung Galaxy Nexus

If you have a device above and want help please pm the link to your thread

AS MENTIONED ON DRIPPLER

\/\/\/\/
    \/\/\/
    \/\/
    \/

<ROM 1 <ROM 2 ROM 3> Rom 4>

First things first

S-off and Root required

"At the moment" Aroma scripted Roms and Kernels are not yet compatible on slot 2+, unless restoring from a Nand backup, which is pre configured​

:victory: Good luck, and enjoy :victory:

STEPS ON HOW TO DO IT

1. ensure your happy with the current state of your main/daily rom
    2. NAND - back it up
    3. download, install and configure either the free boot manager lite app or the pro version
    4. NAND - back it up (not necessary, but advised)
    5. download your scondary rom zip
    6. open your downloaded bootloader app and slide accross to slot 1
    7. install your chosen rom (do not wipe anything on first install)
    DO NOT BOOT SECONDARY ROM
    8. NAND - back it up, again (if your low on sd space, delete your earliest nand, and then next etc etc)
    9. open boot manager when booted, and slide to slot 1, and boot rom
    10. "Ta da". your now dual booting,
    11, repeat these steps for further slots for tri/quad/etc booting

Tips

DO NOT RUN V6 SUPERCHARGER OR SIMILAR SCRIPTS ON ANY ROM OTHER THAN PHONE ROM, YOU WILL GET STUCK IN A BOOT LOOP

DO NOT SET UP PHONE ROM WHILE BOOTED TO A SLOT ROM

revert hboot
    (read below and follow my guide)

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HELP
    PLEASE READ ALL THIS, BELOW, BEFORE TRYING STEP 1

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HBOOT

after a major error recently I' found that for some reason I was struggling to even dual/tri/quad boot, after reverting to stock ics and updating my hboot to 1.49.0053 , I managed to find a patch to revert my hboot back to its original 1.49.0007 , il attach below, I recommend everyone flash this GO USE THE GUIDE HERE , all you do is place on root of your sd card (GSM USERS ONLY AS FAR IS I'M AWARE (CDMA TESTING APPRECIATED)), Then boot into bootloader and select yes when it reads the PG86IMG, I found after going back to this hboot , bootmanager was then able to edit boot.IMG correctly again

(added ALL CID'S to the pg86img.zip android text folder)
    WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE

AROMA ROMS / KERNELS

Some people are having issues with certain roms/aroma scripted roms, the best way around it is to set up all roms on phone Rom slot (main) then back up, restore your original Rom to main, boot it, then in boot manager . Restore nands of other set up roms to other slots

SWITCHING ROMS​

Ensure all roms you want to boot into and out of, are Gapps (google apps) installed, ensure you have set up phone in bootmanager while booted to your phone Rom, and that you have opened boot manager in your slot rom(s) at least once so bootmanager app can download files needed and to write folders to sd

BOOT IMG​

If you find that your bootmanager can't create boot.IMG (not edit), navigate to the bootmanager folder on your sd, find the boot.img file in the slot your trying to install on, delete it, then restart bootmanager , and it should create it without problems,
    IF NOT,
    Try putting boot.img in the rom1/rom2/whateverslot you are using n the bootmanager folder on the sd card, then try just installing a different kernel to overwrite it, so it fixes it. thanks to meangrenie or making this common knowledge

if you ever run into problems, pull the battery, boot to hboot, select recovery, and flash the update.zip inside the phoneRom directory. It writes your backed up boot image. thanks too $MyName for making this common knowledge

BUGS​

(currently)
    When booted to a jellybean Rom there is a charging/battery reading issue and in some cases data drop/connection problems

...................................................................................................................

THANKS​

Please go here for full developer support
    http://init2winitapps.com/stories/B...://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=469311"]Pauly_k , for bringing the app to my attention​
    Youtube videos

sorry about the quality, had to do a lot of converting to get youtube to allow it, and also to keep my data down, using 3g

part 2 begins 3 seconds before part 1 ends, just to show it is 1 complete video with no breaks in recording

Part 1

Part 2

HERES A VIDEO OF ME NINO-BOOTING BETWEEN
    Jelly Bean , Paranoid Android, Gingerbread and ICS Roms,
    some stock, some custom​
    Open Source Boot Manager

Great news everyone: Boot Manager is now going open source! That means we can fix the Jellybean issues and port it over to other phones! @init2winitapps Decision has been made to open source Boot Manager just need to find the time but it will be happening within the month
    Hey Gav, you"re mentioned on drippler with this thread. :)

Cant get it to work myself though, phonerom Evolver 3D, second rom Virus Sense 4.
    Install goes perfect, tried ext4 and ext2. keeps hanging on first bootscreen.

Sense 4 ports require a ton of hackery to work the way they work now. Earlier versions used to work with boot manager, but since Virus got super duper creative with his init scripts and tweaks all over the /system/ partition, boot manager doesn't know what to do with itself. Install Viper3d as the phonerom, then do Evolver as rom 1.

Also, Gav, you ONLY need to back up the /boot partition. A full backup is not required as boot manager doesn't do anything to the system, and ontop of that, boot manager does that itself the first time you run it. The boot backup is stored in /sdcard/BootManager/phoneRom/boot.img

So if you ever run into problems, pull the battery, boot to hboot, select recovery, and flash the update.zip inside the phoneRom directory. It writes your backed up boot image.
    Team Init2winit is now going to update Boot Manager. I can't say for sure when, but they have said on their Twitter page that they're working on jellybean support along with other phones. So the no charging issue on jellybean SD card ROMs will no longer exist. Thanks for promoting this app guys. At least we have some followers still. It's been an issue for even me since I'm on their IRC channel where literally no one comes in anymore. If you guys want to join, it's #init2winitapps on Freenode. Help would be appreciated. I'm not one of the devs, but I'm an admin on their forums so I can help you. Anyways... here's to hoping they update it soon, eh?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium