[USER][CM9/ICS][5-28 PATCH NO LONGER NEEDED] CM9 240 dpi with Soft Navigation Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Alright! Editing the build.prop from within Root Explorer seems to have done the trick for me! This mod does exactly what I want it to do now, I just wish there were a way to get this same effect in CM7 and then everything would be perfect for me until CM9 is fully baked. (I have tons of graphical issues right now. I have faith that CM9 will eventually be perfect, I just don't think it is so yet. Really hoping I'm not being offensive by saying that.)

Thanks for everyone who tried to help me for their patience.

--bornagainpenguin

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I've never had great luck remembering the adb commands to push and pull files. I could probably try using root explorer to copy to the SDCard and do it on the netbook? Will look into this.
You don't have to use adb or any netbook. Just once you are in CM, open the file with root explorer and edit it!

Edit: Didn't see your update. Glad you got it fixed. Those density changing apps don't always work right.

What is it you want different with CM7?

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
You don't have to use adb or any netbook. Just once you are in CM, open the file with root explorer and edit it!

Edit: Didn't see your update. Glad you got it fixed. Those density changing apps don't always work right.

What is it you want different with CM7?

Softkeys on the bottom, notifications on the top.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Softkeys on the bottom, notifications on the top.

You can use the CM7 cyanogenmod/tablet tweaks settings to move the status bar to the top and remove the navigation keys from it. Then you could use third party apps like Softkeys or Button Savior to add soft navigation keys to different parts of the screen. They are customizable.

I used Button Savior on the CM9 phone gui until I figured out how to patch the system files. But I liked the status bar/navigation bar combo in CM7 so did not try it there. I did use Softkeys on the old Nook Color rooted stock since it had no real navigation setup.

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
You can use the CM7 cyanogenmod/tablet tweaks settings to move the status bar to the top and remove the navigation keys from it. Then you could use third party apps like Softkeys or Button Savior to add soft navigation keys to different parts of the screen. They are customizable.

I've played with button savior on the MIUI Gingerbread builds, but I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out a way to get it to stay open on the bottom in a bar underneath the dock of Espier Launcher HD no matter what I tried.

Your patch for CM9 is the closest thing to how I want those other buttons to work, only I'd like to have it that way on CM7 (at least until CM9 is able to perform as well as CM7 does now...)

Thanks for putting up with my finickiness :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I've played with button savior on the MIUI Gingerbread builds, but I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out a way to get it to stay open on the bottom in a bar underneath the dock of Espier Launcher HD no matter what I tried.
Have you tried Virtual Button Bar? It may not do what you want but does stay on the bottom. There is a free trial you can try.

Reactions: bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Sorry for the lateness in getting back to you. My Mom is recently back from the hospital and I've been over their place most of the time helping out when I can and I got called away right as I was going to start writing this post. I appreciate your patience with me.

Have you tried Virtual Button Bar? It may not do what you want but does stay on the bottom. There is a free trial you can try.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm actually pretty happy with the current patch. I'm looking forward to using it on MIUI whenever the ICS\CM9 port gets updated again.

A few things though...

I did notice that when I am at 180DPI I lose the menu to reboot, ect and only get a shutdown dialogue. This is the same in 200DPI and only at 240DPI does the menu come back. Is this the nature of selecting non-standard DPI or is this a bug of some sort?

I generally stick with 180DPI because it is the highest I can go and still get the phone GUI, but I noticed that many icons in the notification bar are teeny tiny at 180 DPI but just fine when at 160 DPI and 200 DPI. Again, bug or expected behavior?

Occasionally I find myself bumping the hidden buttons on the sides of the bottom bar, not so bad when I trigger the search, but most disconcerting when I put the nook to sleep! Not really a bug, more of a question--is it possible to unhide or remove those buttons?

Finally, while I really do like the way this patch makes things work, I wonder if it would be at all possible to keep the softkey configuration as is on the bottom, put the clock and the notification bar at the top--but use the ICS notifications? Presumably this would allow me to have the softkeys AND the 160 standard DPI resolution, as well as the other tablet beneficial features. Is such a thing possible or desirable?

Thanks again for your patience with me and for sharing your patch with the rest of us, it really makes CM9 much nicer!

--bornagainpenguin

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I did notice that when I am at 180DPI I lose the menu to reboot, ect and only get a shutdown dialogue. This is the same in 200DPI and only at 240DPI does the menu come back. Is this the nature of selecting non-standard DPI or is this a bug of some sort?

I generally stick with 180DPI because it is the highest I can go and still get the phone GUI, but I noticed that many icons in the notification bar are teeny tiny at 180 DPI but just fine when at 160 DPI and 200 DPI. Again, bug or expected behavior?

Occasionally I find myself bumping the hidden buttons on the sides of the bottom bar, not so bad when I trigger the search, but most disconcerting when I put the nook to sleep! Not really a bug, more of a question--is it possible to unhide or remove those buttons?

Finally, while I really do like the way this patch makes things work, I wonder if it would be at all possible to keep the softkey configuration as is on the bottom, put the clock and the notification bar at the top--but use the ICS notifications? Presumably this would allow me to have the softkeys AND the 160 standard DPI resolution, as well as the other tablet beneficial features. Is such a thing possible or desirable?
I think the problems you are seeing are because of the non-standard dpi. I used to play with dpi a lot on CM7 and saw many problems like that. When I moved to CM9, I had pretty much decided on 240 so I did not experiment. You know you can go to as low as 161 and still have the phone gui. I think on CM7 most people liked 187 since many of the compatibility issues when away. Just experiment.

I can make you a simple file that you can add yourself that has the hidden buttons removed. I can even change the order of the main buttons for you. But you will need to manually modify the SystemUI file each time I make a new patch. It is not hard to add it, you can do it with a zip manager.

It is not possible to make the changes you are asking about in the last paragraph. My patches are just simple modifications to the standard ics files. Ics comes ready for tablets or phones and all I have to do is configure a couple of settings in the files and it displays it like a phone with no hardware keys.

PM me if you want to pursue the nav bar modification.

envygreen

Feb 27, 2011
First off, I love this patch and your helpful tips thread, so thanks for that!

My thing is, I really like the tablet gui at 160, but my touch recognition is spotty at best. At 240, touch recognition is fantastic, but I really don't like being stuck in phone gui mode with huuuge icons. 200 or even 180 seems to be good for touch recognition still, but I'm still stuck in phone mode.

Is there any way to force tablet gui mode if you're set to > 160?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
First off, I love this patch and your helpful tips thread, so thanks for that!

Is there any way to force tablet gui mode if you're set to > 160?
Sorry, no. If there were we would not need this patch. Most folks do like the tablet gui, including me, but I hate the tiny fonts at 160.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

envygreen

Feb 27, 2011
Right, thanks for the confirmation. Just seems as if CM would have a customization option or a place to tweak that setting. However, in the interest of moving forward, I'll just have to configure a launcher replacement to make do for now!

Am I the only one that doesn't entirely mind the small fonts/icons but feels like it's next to impossible to not fat finger everything at that density? I wish I could get the touchscreen responsiveness of my Vivid on this thing, but I'm not gonna whine. I've gotten my $250 out of this thing in the past year and then some.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
Right, thanks for the confirmation. Just seems as if CM would have a customization option or a place to tweak that setting. However, in the interest of moving forward, I'll just have to configure a launcher replacement to make do for now!

Am I the only one that doesn't entirely mind the small fonts/icons but feels like it's next to impossible to not fat finger everything at that density? I wish I could get the touchscreen responsiveness of my Vivid on this thing, but I'm not gonna whine. I've gotten my $250 out of this thing in the past year and then some.

I agree compared to my DInc as well. I don't think it's really the density that is the problem though, just the inferior touchscreen hardware and/or firmware on our Nooks. I played with the new $250 Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in Best Buy today and thought the touch abilities felt much more on par with my phone, and this is with the same size screen and what appeared to be an identical density setting. Very tempting for a well-built tablet with ICS out of the box plus cameras, GPS, etc

envygreen

Feb 27, 2011
I've seen more than a few tempting devices lately and that makes the list, but I got this for a work travel library and something to tinker with. It was my first android device and I've learned a lot with it. I'd almost be dissapointed with an out of the box solution at this point!

ganovim

Jan 10, 2011
update-softkey-240dpi-5-06

Originally Posted by ganovim
I have installed your update-softkey-240dpi-5-06-Rev16.zip to the
eyeballer latest, but that does not seem to work.
It did work on an older eyeballer version.
Thanks for everything you do.
Could you be more specific as to what with my patch did not work with eyeballers latest? And could you answer the question on my soft key thread so we don't clutter eyeballers thread here.

It's OK now I redited build.prop as well as reinstalling 5-06
Thanks again

RedheadTarn

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado Springs
tablet tweaks in ics?

So I have been loving my nook color and have been running cm 7.2 mirage for a while and loved it! I recently checked out eyeballers non-open GL ics build, and am playing around with it, but one thing is irritating me. In 7.2, under cyanogenmod settings - tablet tweaks, you could change the status bar from top to bottom, and the softkeys from the right to the left.

I got really used to having all of my softkeys on the bottom right, and now in ics everything is on the bottom left. Is there any way to change this? I have looked through all the settings and can't find anything. Am I just blind or is this not available in ICS?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
So I have been loving my nook color and have been running cm 7.2 mirage for a while and loved it! I recently checked out eyeballers non-open GL ics build, and am playing around with it, but one thing is irritating me. In 7.2, under cyanogenmod settings - tablet tweaks, you could change the status bar from top to bottom, and the softkeys from the right to the left.

I got really used to having all of my softkeys on the bottom right, and now in ics everything is on the bottom left. Is there any way to change this? I have looked through all the settings and can't find anything. Am I just blind or is this not available in ICS?
No there is not. The difference is in CM7 that status bar was custom made by the CM team, so they made it customizable. In CM9, the tablet status bar is standard Ice Cream Sandwich issue. So there is no way to customize it the way you want. Sorry.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

There is now a way to do it if you are in the phone gui. The CM team just added the ability to customize the phone gui navigation bar.It is not exactly what you wanted, but it might work for you. Just use my patch as I described above and play with it. If you do not like the 240 dpi, you can reduce it to anything you want as long as it is above 160.

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20
Flashed eyeballer's 20120522 nonopengl from the 20120520 nonopengl and then flashed the CM9 240 r18 patch.

The "recent menu" button (double rectangle) doesn't work anymore.

Edit:
Went in to settings, system, navigation bar and added a space after the "recent menu" and the button now works!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Flashed eyeballer's 20120522 nonopengl from the 20120520 nonopengl and then flashed the CM9 240 r18 patch.

The "previous menu" button (double rectangle) doesn't work anymore.

If you look at my edited first post (4/27), you will see that that is now the recent key again. Also now you can customize the bar (5/18). I have mine customized so I don't show the recent key anymore. Just use a long press on home.

(Edit, misread your post, see edited above.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MechaGen

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I just saw where the CM team just fixed an issue with the recent button on the phone gui navigation bar. It should be in tonight's build. I think my current patch will still work since they only changed SystemUI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PATCH NO LONGER NEEDED!

This post used to discuss a patch I made to show the Navigation Keys in Phone GUI mode. I am happy to announce that the patch is no longer needed.

In CM9 the Phone GUI is activated anytime you set the lcd density to anything higher than 160 dpi. With the Nook Color when you go to the Phone GUI the navigation keys are suppressed.

There is a method to activate the Navigation Bar that requires no patches or zip flashes. Just add the two lines below to your local.prop file in /data. I recommend using local.prop instead of build.prop so that it is not necessary to re-edit the file after each flash of a new ROM. If you do not have this file, create an empty txt file and put these two lines in it:

qemu.sf.lcd_density=240
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

The first line tells your system to change lcd density to put it in phone gui. You can change the 240 number to any number above 160 and the phone gui will be displayed.

The second line tells your system that your hardware has no physical keys and enables the soft key navigation bar.

Reboot.

If you want to return to 160 dpi and the tablet gui, just delete or comment out the two lines above and reboot.

Also CM has added the ability to customize the navigation bar. Go to settings, system, navigation bar and it will tell you how to do it. You can move the buttons around, add buttons, change how they perform, etc.

5-28-2012 is the last day I will be making patches.

No-moar zips! Yay!

Edit (6-24): Removed last patch. Too many users will still downloading it and it does not work properly with the current nightlies.

Removed screenshots
    I'm also not able to download a complete Rev13. I just get a file with a length of 554. I was able to get Rev12, but it's not working with the latest builds. Thanks for all your help on this!
    The old versions do not work with the latest build, that's why I updated it. I just uploaded it again. Try now.
    Oh, a quick question while I have your attention --is there any way to get the two status layout but with a lower dpi (160)? Or are we stuck choosing between phone and tablet interface if we want more screen space?
    Not sure what you mean by two status layout. Do you mean status at top and navigation on bottom?

160 always gives you the tablet layout with the status bar at the bottom, with the battery and time, etc there. You can use other launchers that allow you to modify such things as icon grid layout, etc, but the full status bar remains at the bottom.

If you set anything above 160 (180, for example), it goes to phone mode with the status bar at the top, and if you use my patch, the navigation bar will be at the bottom. You can change the density to anything above 160 and my patch will work. I just chose 240 because it is what I like and gives the most market compatibility. After applying my patch, just change the value in build.prop in /system (ro.sf.lcd_density=).

The "previous menu" button (double rectangle) doesn't work anymore.

If you look at my edited first post (4/27), you will see that that is now the recent key again. Also now you can customize the bar (5/18). I have mine customized so I don't show the recent key anymore. Just use a long press on home.

(Edit, misread your post, see edited above.)