[App] QuickCab 2.0 Cab Creation Utility (Updated: 12-25-2008)

Search This thread

IABovine

Feb 15, 2008
QuickCab 2.0

Like most people around here I enjoy customizing my phone. Problem is that copying files and applying a bunch of Registry tweaks by hand is tedious. I've built CAB files in the past but creating the INF files is an ugly process...not for the feignt of heart.

So I created a utility called QuickCab that makes creating CAB files easy. It doesn't support every possible scenario, but if what you want to do is copy files or change the registry, it works quite well. This is perfect for Themes, Ringtones, Tweaks, and Mods.

***Requires the .Net Framework 3.5 which can be found here

quickcab1.jpg
quickcab2.jpg

Changelog:
* Rewrote GUI to allow for more options and fix selection errors
* Fixed many button and selection errors
* Added Shortcut support
* Added support for Vista UAC
* Added support for compressed cabs
* Added ability to prevent uninstall
* Removed support for Setup.dll (does anyone use this?)
* Move from .Net 2.0 to .Net 3.5

* Initial Release

Attachments

• QuickCab-2.0.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 23,252
Last edited:
Reactions: jogai and mikaelel

shadowmike

Feb 6, 2008
Cleveland
facebook.com
Hello. First off great program. However i am running vista and when trying to save it comes up with a blank screen.

also in order to select individual files i need to right click the files.
Import button on reg screen doesnt work.

keep working on it and this will turn into a great app.

IABovine

Feb 15, 2008
Hello. First off great program. However i am running vista and when trying to save it comes up with a blank screen.

I'm running Vista as well...when you save it, I assume you mean when you hit the Create button. If that's the case, it's writing the INF file and spawning CABWIZ.EXE. If you selected large files, it could take awhile. Maybe I need to put up some "wait..." notification?

also in order to select individual files i need to right click the files. Import button on reg screen doesnt work.

keep working on it and this will turn into a great app.

Yikes! The right-click thing really confuses me...It's a standard control that I use for the file selection. I couldn't make that happen if I tried! :eek: When you hit the Import button, do you get a window where you can select the reg file?

Anyone else seeing these issues?

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
I am new to cab creation. With cabs made with this, is the cab uninstallable? If the cab makes a registry change, does uninstalling that cab, change the registry back to its old value before cab installation?

knownboyofno

Mar 23, 2008
Thanks for this I am going to use this after a Hard reset to test somethings out this weekend is going to be FUN!!!!!

teixeirabmb

Feb 9, 2006
Very very useful program.
Ideal for vanilla ROM lovers like me ;)

It could be even better program if we could edit cabs, changing default directories, for instance from \window to \Storage Card

Last edited:

IABovine

Feb 15, 2008
I am new to cab creation. With cabs made with this, is the cab uninstallable? If the cab makes a registry change, does uninstalling that cab, change the registry back to its old value before cab installation?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, had a family member die and was out with that. I'm not an expert with cabs themselves, so I don't know the answer. It'd be pretty easy to test it out though...create a registry entry and create a cab to change it. then uninstall it.

IABovine

Feb 15, 2008
It could be even better program if we could edit cabs, changing default directories, for instance from \window to \Storage Card

Interesting idea. I've tossed around the idea of being able to load a cab up and make modifications to it. I'll probably have to work on the UI a bit first. Maybe in a couple versions from now...right now there are a couple of bugs I'm working on and supporting compression, shortcuts, and a default directory.

THANK YOU for the suggestion!

kdonath

Oct 21, 2005
Budapest
QuickCab 1.0

Like most people around here I enjoy customizing my phone. Problem is that copying files and applying a bunch of Registry tweaks by hand is tedious. I've built CAB files in the past but creating the INF files is an ugly process...not for the feignt of heart.

So I created a utility called QuickCab that makes creating CAB files easy. It doesn't support every possible scenario, but if what you want to do is copy files or change the registry, it works quite well. This is perfect for Themes, Ringtones, Tweaks, and Mods.

I plan to add support for Shortcuts in the near future. If you use this program, I'd appreciate feedback. I can't improve it without your ideas.

Requires the .Net Framework 2.0

It is a great application.
Just there is a problem with the registry import function: if a string value contains comma (,) then only the first item is imported, everyhting after the comma is just simply cut.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

CMeys

Feb 21, 2007
Thanks. This will be very helpful to streamline setting up the phone after flashing.

CMeys

Feb 21, 2007
I am trying to use this to cab some of the standard regedits I make, but I need a little guidance. Could someone please post an example of 1) how to change an existing registry key and 2) how to add a new one? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QuickCab 2.0

***Requires the .Net Framework 3.5 which can be found here

quickcab1.jpg
    quickcab2.jpg

Changelog:
    * Rewrote GUI to allow for more options and fix selection errors
    * Fixed many button and selection errors
    * Added Shortcut support
    * Added support for Vista UAC
    * Added support for compressed cabs
    * Added ability to prevent uninstall
    * Removed support for Setup.dll (does anyone use this?)
    * Move from .Net 2.0 to .Net 3.5

* Initial Release
    I'm using Your app since a while, but i've never say THANK YOU. I love Your app. You did a great job