Exynos battery life

Search This thread

Drast

May 2, 2018
Hello all ,

I was about to buy an Exynos model and read somewhere on here that there was an update to fix battery life. Is this true and how much has it improved ?
:cool:
Thanks

samitro

Dec 16, 2008
Reading Anandtech article, exynos does not seem to be a good choice unfortunately. I have read all about it after my devices was shipped today, might return it.

-Vulture-

Aug 24, 2008
Munich
Thanks, this is not bad at all for an exynos. This is really odd as some users claim they get much less like 3 hours SOT and 16 hours standby. Are you on BER5 btw.? Thanks

Yes, i am. I also changed some settings of the device and disabled a lot of apps to save some power, but im not using a power saving mode. Standby drain is still a bit high though with 3-4% in 7h.

theymyron

Feb 26, 2012
thx, 0.5% per hour on android is not that high I guess, good to know.

I'd like to know if you guys are using Facebook and Messenger apps. Tried it on a brand new unit without logging it in and the standby drain is less than 0.5% an hour. Installed those two because I actually need the Messenger (can't seem to greenify Facebook) and my standby drain is like 2% per hour.

-Vulture-

Aug 24, 2008
Munich
I'd like to know if you guys are using Facebook and Messenger apps. Tried it on a brand new unit without logging it in and the standby drain is less than 0.5% an hour. Installed those two because I actually need the Messenger (can't seem to greenify Facebook) and my standby drain is like 2% per hour.

Nope, i do not use Facebook at all, only Whatsapp and Telegram. Facebook is known to be a battery killer. But i think there are official lite apps which significally reduce the power drain.

Reactions: theymyron

theymyron

Feb 26, 2012
Nope, i do not use Facebook at all, only Whatsapp and Telegram. Facebook is known to be a battery killer. But i think there are official lite apps which significally reduce the power drain.

figured as much. I just envy how you can use those two because your contacts aren't dependent on Messenger.

Sabertooth

May 14, 2018
Hong Kong
Reading Anandtech article, exynos does not seem to be a good choice unfortunately. I have read all about it after my devices was shipped today, might return it.
Recharging the G965F(exynos dual sim) every evening at 7,8 PM after unplugging in the morning at 6,7 AM.
AOD , gallery syncing, nearby device scanning, cloud based services, find my mobile service, NFC off. Wifi power saving on, 5 Sammy blaotwares disabled , no game playing , most appkications are in sleeping mode, no battery hogging app and I'm just a light to moderate user with 90 % wifi connection.
4 to 5 hours sot and 13,14 or maximum 15 hours it lasts. Experienced other top of the line phones with better battery life.

-Vulture-

Aug 24, 2008
Munich
figured as much. I just envy how you can use those two because your contacts aren't dependent on Messenger.

With Messenger you mean the Facebook Messenger? Well no facebook, no friends at facebook to chat with ;).
I just dont like this company at all. The idea behind it is really cool, keeping people connected. But what they do with your data isnt. Not a tiny bit.
And if the trend goes on, WhatsApp will also be uninstalled someday. But this would be hard, since nearly no one uses an alternative messenger.
Whatsapp does the job for me and its much easier on the battery.

But back to the topic: Have you tried this Lite app?
Should be less stressfull for your battery.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Recharging the G965F(exynos dual sim) every evening at 7,8 PM after unplugging in the morning at 6,7 AM.
AOD , gallery syncing, nearby device scanning, cloud based services, find my mobile service, NFC off. Wifi power saving on, 5 Sammy blaotwares disabled , no game playing , most appkications are in sleeping mode, no battery hogging app and I'm just a light to moderate user with 90 % wifi connection.
4 to 5 hours sot and 13,14 or maximum 15 hours it lasts. Experienced other top of the line phones with better battery life.

Sounds a lot like my usage, also the settings you have done. Did you also disable 4G active while on Wifi? Its hidden in the developer settings.

Otherwise im currently ~32,5h off the charger with 42% left. My screen usage is at 2h 22min, so maybe 4,5h overall in this run. But its not too bad cause of the overall runtime, as standby also drains the battery.
If im pushing the battery more without trying to achieve 2 days i have no problem getting to 6h of SOT.

Last edited:

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016

That sounds very similar to another poster here who is also having issues with dual sim battery drain. He also made the same comment about having better battery life with other "top of the line" phones. Interestingly, I thought you posted a screenshot of 8+ hours SOT with the exynos recently (and 15+ hours SOT with the snapdragon). So I suppose those figures weren't a good reflection of your "average" SOT? As now you're mentioning only half that SOT, despite quite a few tweaks too.

Question - it sounds like you have around 9-10 hours where you're not actively using the phone during a typical discharge cycle. Do you have a sense of what your hourly standby drain is (I asked the same question of the other person having issues and I think he mentioned about 1% or less drain per hour)? A good way of observing it is leaving the phone uncharged overnight. I'm just curious as to whether your relatively poor battery life is mainly due to excessive standby drain or excessive drain despite only doing light-moderate tasks. I ask this because, in my experience (and also with people like Galaxo60) and demonstrated in numerous battery drain video tests, heavy use (eg. GPS navigation with high accuracy) tends to drain the battery by around 10-15% per hour and very heavy use (complex games, video calling) tends to drain the battery by 15-20% per hour.
Assuming a standby drain of 1% per hour (which is on the high side with AOD disabled and a good wifi connection), you can see that even if you played a complex game for 2 hours (40%), then an hour later (1%) you did a video call for an hour (20%), then an hour later (1%) you spent 2 hours navigating Maps with GPS on high accuracy (30%), and then you went to sleep for 6 hours (6%), your battery would be down to about 2% over a total of 13 hours on battery with 5 hours SOT. I'm probably giving the high side of the estimated battery drain in each task too. And this should be without any significant tweaking (based on my experience, and unless those video tests forget to mention tweaking etc). It sounds like you don't do any of these heavy or very heavy tasks, and therefore your SOT should be more like 6-7 hours over 20 hours or so (just a rough guess to make the point).

So assuming your hourly standby drain is also around 1%, then the only thing I can think of is an app that you're using or a task that you're doing (or some specific combination of apps/tasks that exynos doesn't like?) that is draining the battery more than it should. Or throwing in a wild speculation, somehow there's a built-in kernel backdoor that activates while your screen is on and is secretly doing something that drains your battery more hehe (and of course doesn't show up in any battery stats).

I know the occasional poster has also mentioned having only 1-3 hours SOT, so you're not having the worst reported SOT I suppose. It would be interesting to know what the hourly standby drain for those people etc is too.

Reactions: Killer007TV

k_ahm.143

Account currently disabled
Waw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180605-170859_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180605-170859_Settings.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 415

Sabertooth

May 14, 2018
Hong Kong
That sounds very similar to another poster here who is also having issues with dual sim battery drain. He also made the same comment about having better battery life with other "top of the line" phones. Interestingly, I thought you posted a screenshot of 8+ hours SOT with the exynos recently (and 15+ hours SOT with the snapdragon). So I suppose those figures weren't a good reflection of your "average" SOT? As now you're mentioning only half that SOT, despite quite a few tweaks too.

Question - it sounds like you have around 9-10 hours where you're not actively using the phone during a typical discharge cycle. Do you have a sense of what your hourly standby drain is (I asked the same question of the other person having issues and I think he mentioned about 1% or less drain per hour)? A good way of observing it is leaving the phone uncharged overnight. I'm just curious as to whether your relatively poor battery life is mainly due to excessive standby drain or excessive drain despite only doing light-moderate tasks. I ask this because, in my experience (and also with people like Galaxo60) and demonstrated in numerous battery drain video tests, heavy use (eg. GPS navigation with high accuracy) tends to drain the battery by around 10-15% per hour and very heavy use (complex games, video calling) tends to drain the battery by 15-20% per hour.
Assuming a standby drain of 1% per hour (which is on the high side with AOD disabled and a good wifi connection), you can see that even if you played a complex game for 2 hours (40%), then an hour later (1%) you did a video call for an hour (20%), then an hour later (1%) you spent 2 hours navigating Maps with GPS on high accuracy (30%), and then you went to sleep for 6 hours (6%), your battery would be down to about 2% over a total of 13 hours on battery with 5 hours SOT. I'm probably giving the high side of the estimated battery drain in each task too. And this should be without any significant tweaking (based on my experience, and unless those video tests forget to mention tweaking etc). It sounds like you don't do any of these heavy or very heavy tasks, and therefore your SOT should be more like 6-7 hours over 20 hours or so (just a rough guess to make the point).

So assuming your hourly standby drain is also around 1%, then the only thing I can think of is an app that you're using or a task that you're doing (or some specific combination of apps/tasks that exynos doesn't like?) that is draining the battery more than it should. Or throwing in a wild speculation, somehow there's a built-in kernel backdoor that activates while your screen is on and is secretly doing something that drains your battery more hehe (and of course doesn't show up in any battery stats).

I know the occasional poster has also mentioned having only 1-3 hours SOT, so you're not having the worst reported SOT I suppose. It would be interesting to know what the hourly standby drain for those people etc is too.
Where have you seen me posting 8+ hours with the exynos? It was of 6 hours and 50 minutes in the "screen on time" thread achieved when additional battery saving steps like bk package disabler disabling huge chunk of services and apps and keeping location in power saving mode. (bk no more working as it's removed from playstore and I went for factory reset after BRE5 update)
4 to 5 is the average sot with 13, 14 hours with few battery saving steps. No wakelocks no battery hogging applications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Personally I see much better battery life after the April security update. SOT gets about 6 hours of normal use.
    I will tell u the truth, i have snapdragon and 5 hrs of SOT , since 1 month so the battery life is almost same
    5-6h SOT with 2 days of usage between each charge. But depends heaviliy on your usage.