Step by Step 2.2 to 2.3 cm7 upgrade DELL VENUE

Search This thread

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
HELP VIDEO FOR ANDROID NEWBIES TO HELP THEM CHANGE ROM FROM 2.2 TO 2.3 CM7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULPBh4cDYU

On demand of some of the very new to android users, im posting a relatively easy to understood upgrade process from 2.2 froyo to 2.3 cm7(custom rom).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfnoUB8EFOI VIDEO LINK TO THE CM7 ROM DEMO

Remember both these roms(cm7 and miui) are rooted roms.It voids the warranty.
All credits given to the respective developers of the softwares/firmwares shown in this thread.Im just here to make the process more easy to understand.As developers say, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

CM7 FLASHABLE FILE- http://www.mediafire.com/?f90c9utsp8luknd

GOOGLEAPPS PACKAGE- http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

COPY BOTH THESE FILES ON TO UR SDCARD(SAME FOLDER OR SEPERATE FOLDERS) BEFORE U PROCEED ANY FURTHER!

Download this file CLOCKWORK MOD- http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq

steps to load cwm recovery
1-Load dell drivers on ur pc which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
2-setuo fastboot mode on your dell handset
Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off
Move ringer to UP position
Hold down Power and Volume Down
This will show fastboot mode is on.

3-Download and install cwm
How to Install CWM?

Start recovery.exe and Extract all files
U will see file named Install CWM.bat.
Run that file and now plug ur dell venue to usb cable(venue is still in fastboot mode as we did it before)
Follow instructions on the dos screen to make ur dell venue load cwm recovery.
Your DELL Venue will reboot after installation is finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo after reboot.
Immediate you press Volume UP+DOWN

5-Once you're in the CWM recovery before you flash the ROM zip, you need to :
a. Wipe data/Factory Reset
b. Wipe Cache Partition
c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Use vul + - key to toggle the menu and go to INSTALL UPDATE option in that menu.Again on next screen u will be asked to choose update file selection.Option name i forgot may be "INSTALL UPDATE FROM SDCARD".
Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA button to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

5-As installation finishes, you will see the msg - UPDATE COMPLETED.Then u need to go back to the previous menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM NOW.Finish that step.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive dell venue cm7 2.3 rom!

You wont be able to cnnect to any of google applications at this time.
To enable google account and apps, u need to follow all the earlier steps and again go into the cwm recovery mode and install the GAAP packge which u have downloaded with cm7.The process will be same...update from sdcard,select gaap file and reboot.It should not be a big deal.
option2:Also u can go to cm7 settings menu and find option to boot into cwm recovery in dell phone itself(no need of pc to run cwm).However u need the GOOGLEAPPS FLASHABLE file on ur sdcard to flash it in cwm recovery in any case...option1 or option2.

Same process needs to be followed to install another update for ussd/mmi codes.
Download this package http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/misc/USSD Fix/update-USSDfix-2.zip and flash it in same way as gapps was done.This would solve ur problem of ussd codes( * # kind of calls) as well.

NOTES:
ONE MAY FACE REDUCED BATTERY BACKUP IN THIS CM7 ROM,
I HAVE FOUND A WAY FOR IT, BY USING SETCPU application WHICH COMES IN THIS ROM AS BUNDLED.
MY SETCPU SETTINGS ARE:
1-START ON BOOT CHECKED
2-PROFILES ENABLED CHECKED. TWO PROFILES ADDED FIRST IS "SCREEN OFF" SET TO "POWERSAVE" AND SECOND PROFILE "IN CALL" SET TO "CONSERVATIVE"

*IF U GET STUCK AT BOOT AFTER INSTALLING ZIP OF CM7 FILE FROM CWM, U SHUD SIMPLE FOLLOW 2 STEPS. DO AL DATA WIPE,CACHE WIPE AND DATA RESET.THEN FLASH CM7 AGAIN WITHOUT RESTARTING PHN.THIS WILL SOLVE BOOT LOOPING PROBLEM IF ARISES.

THESE SETTINGS GIVE ME EXTRA BATTERY BACKUP OF ABT 3/4HOURS.

Last edited:

prasad12ka4

On demand of some of the very new to android users, im posting a relatively easy to understood upgrade process from 2.2 froyo to 2.3 cm7(custom rom).

All credits given to the respective developers of the softwares/firmwares shown in this thread.Im just here to make the process more easy to understand.As developers say, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

COPY BOTH THESE FILES ON TO UR SDCARD(SAME FOLDER OR SEPERATE FOLDERS) BEFORE U PROCEED ANY FURTHER!

1-Load dell drivers which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off

How to Install CWM?

Download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq
Run that file and now plug ur dell venue to usb cable(venue is still in fastboot mode as we did it before)
Your DELL Venue will reboot after install finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo

a. Wipe data/Factory Reset)
b. Wipe Cache Partition
c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Use vul + - key to toggle the menu and go to INSTALL UPDATE option in that menu.Again on next screen u will be asked to choose update file selection.Option name i forgot may be "INSTALL UPDATE FROM SDCARD".
Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA botton to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

5-As installation finishes, you will see the msg - UPDATE COMPLETED.Then u need to go back to the previous menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM NOW.Finish that step.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive world of dell venue cm7 2.3 firmware!

To enable google account and apps, u need to follow all the earlier steps and again go into the cwm recovery mode and install the GAAP packge which u have downloaded with cm7.The process will be same...update from sdcard,select gaap file and reboot.It should not be a big deal.

Thanks
Super cool and simple explaination quite helpful. Will try this.
But are there any bugs in this update?
Also if possible is there any rollback method if we get stuck or mobile bricks?

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
I did not find any bugs in cm7 as yet...havent tried miui rom yet.
CM7 is supercool rom.You would love it.Its 10times better than the 2.2 inbuilt rom dell give.

Rollback would require stockroms(which r available on his forum i think).
Unbricking method post is also given in this forum.Check and do the diligence at ur own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: prasad12ka4

prasad12ka4

CM7 is supercool rom.You would love it.Its 10times better than the 2.2 inbuilt rom dell give.

Unbricking method post is also given in this forum.Check and do the diligence at ur own risk.

Worked as said
Thanks a ton mate
Also just trouble was needed to download google apps which was never done by me ever :p
Asphalt 6 HD roxs now :D

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
Fantastic!
So atlast u installed google apps rom also na?After flashing with cm7?

Tell me how is camera performance in ur dell device?
On gsmarena i saw many people praising the camera but i found it really awefully bad!
Wondering oif cam in bad in my handset only?

prasad12ka4

Fantastic!

On gsmarena i saw many people praising the camera but i found it really awefully bad!

Yes flashed with google apps zip
Camera is good to very good 8 MP
HD video also is good:D

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
i have updated the step by step process with additional mmi code solution also into the last paragraph.U can check it.

I dnt knw why, my cam is giving bad results with backcover on and better result when i take cover off.Can u check in ur cam result of both ways? and let me knw?

prasad12ka4

i have updated the step by step process with additional mmi code solution also into the last paragraph.U can check it.

I dnt knw why, my cam is giving bad results with backcover on and better result when i take cover off.Can u check in ur cam result of both ways? and let me knw?

Sure
Guess you must try cleaning the cover lence once
Still will update you on the same

prasad12ka4

Fantastic!

took it to test today
used it as normal as i always do
but battery drain observed was high than stock
half a day by 3 noon my fone waz 20 %
unplugged at 7am
on stock at this time i would be 60 %
just use opera and whatsapp
any suggestions?

will clearing battery stats help?
heard it makes things worst

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
here are some suggestions:
1: in stock rom when wifi is on and connected to a router, and u went away from in wifi area, it will stop searching for wifi.When u will enter in same wifi zone again, u wont get auto connected to wifi.
Whereas in cm7, after leaving wifi area with wifi on(and connected), upon returning to wifi area again, u will find venue connected to that wifi network automatically.
This means wifi is continuously looking for connection in cm7 but not in stock rom.Make appropriate changes to try and enhance battery life.

2:SETCPu application
Use this application to save battery.I used it today and felt the difference.

3:Set brightness levels to zero rather than auto.

We have to change our habits of using phones to save battery.Thats a hard fact!

Above all should help though.

prasad12ka4

here are some suggestions:
1: in stock rom when wifi is on and connected to a router, and u went away from in wifi area, it will stop searching for wifi.When u will enter in same wifi zone again, u wont get auto connected to wifi.
Whereas in cm7, after leaving wifi area with wifi on(and connected), upon returning to wifi area again, u will find venue connected to that wifi network automatically.
This means wifi is continuously looking for connection in cm7 but not in stock rom.Make appropriate changes to try and enhance battery life.

I am not using wif fi
I am on 2G EDGE mate
2:SETCPu application
Use this application to save battery.I used it today and felt the difference.

Any suggested settings?

3:Set brightness levels to zero rather than auto.

We have to change our habits of using phones to save battery.Thats a hard fact!

Thats not an issue done that

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
1ST CLICK ON SETCPU - RUN ON BOOT CHECK

GO TO PROFILES AND ADD 2 PROFILES
1ST SELECT "SCREEN OFF" AND SELECTOR SCALLING "POWERSAVE"
2ND SELECT "IN CALL" AND SELECT SCALLING "CONSERVATIVE"

iM USING THESE SETTINGS TODAY.
cELL FULLY CHARGED AND DISCONNECTED POWER AT 8.30AM MORNING.
iTS 5PM NOW AND BATTERY LEFT IS STILL56%

i HAVE WIFI ALWAYS ON AS I HAVE ROUTER AT HOME.
i HAVENT USED MUCH OF INTERNET THOUGH.

AS PER BATTERY USE MENU TLL NOW FROM MORNING,
DISPLAY IS USED FOR 1.3HRS.
VOICE CALL DATA SHOWS 52MINUTES
WIFI USED FOR 8.30 HOURS AS WELL.

i THINK ITS DECENT BATTERY BACKUP IF I KEEP THESE SETTINGS.

YES PERFORMANCE SEEMS TO BE SLIGHTLY LESS WITH SETCPU.ABT 10-15% LAG IN PERFORMANCE.BUTS I WILL TAKE THAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJW and prasad12ka4

prasad12ka4

YES PERFORMANCE SEEMS TO BE SLIGHTLY LESS WITH SETCPU.ABT 10-15% LAG IN PERFORMANCE.BUTS I WILL TAKE THAT.

Thanks will try that
Also wanted to know can we flash dell stage UI 1.6 in this rom?

It is there here somewhere but I dont know as havnt tried

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
havent trid.also the link u shown there does not work.
Try uploading on medafire.

It would be great if all users here can press SUBMIT THREAD button on top of the page so that this thread can feature on xda home page and people get to know about it.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
talk2 (the one with video chat) wont fully work on the V because it has no FFC.

It might otherwise work to recieve video/voice though, but it cant send video.

prasad12ka4

Did the setcpu settings help u?
Was on your settings before I re formatted my cell.
Was going okish..

But when I reformatted it, made sure the battery was full and then wiped battery stats.
Now I am onn without setcpu, goes for 10 to 13 hrs max with few calls, whatsapp always on, mails, etc.

Will go on with this for a month. Then check with setcpu if it gives any difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP VIDEO FOR ANDROID NEWBIES TO HELP THEM CHANGE ROM FROM 2.2 TO 2.3 CM7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULPBh4cDYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfnoUB8EFOI VIDEO LINK TO THE CM7 ROM DEMO

Download this file CLOCKWORK MOD- http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq

1-Load dell drivers on ur pc which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
    Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off

How to Install CWM?

Your DELL Venue will reboot after installation is finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo after reboot.

a. Wipe data/Factory Reset
    b. Wipe Cache Partition
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA button to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive dell venue cm7 2.3 rom!

option2:Also u can go to cm7 settings menu and find option to boot into cwm recovery in dell phone itself(no need of pc to run cwm).However u need the GOOGLEAPPS FLASHABLE file on ur sdcard to flash it in cwm recovery in any case...option1 or option2.

Same process needs to be followed to install another update for ussd/mmi codes.
    Download this package http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/misc/USSD Fix/update-USSDfix-2.zip and flash it in same way as gapps was done.This would solve ur problem of ussd codes( * # kind of calls) as well.

NOTES:
    ONE MAY FACE REDUCED BATTERY BACKUP IN THIS CM7 ROM,
    I HAVE FOUND A WAY FOR IT, BY USING SETCPU application WHICH COMES IN THIS ROM AS BUNDLED.
    MY SETCPU SETTINGS ARE:
    1-START ON BOOT CHECKED
    2-PROFILES ENABLED CHECKED. TWO PROFILES ADDED FIRST IS "SCREEN OFF" SET TO "POWERSAVE" AND SECOND PROFILE "IN CALL" SET TO "CONSERVATIVE"

*IF U GET STUCK AT BOOT AFTER INSTALLING ZIP OF CM7 FILE FROM CWM, U SHUD SIMPLE FOLLOW 2 STEPS. DO AL DATA WIPE,CACHE WIPE AND DATA RESET.THEN FLASH CM7 AGAIN WITHOUT RESTARTING PHN.THIS WILL SOLVE BOOT LOOPING PROBLEM IF ARISES.

THESE SETTINGS GIVE ME EXTRA BATTERY BACKUP OF ABT 3/4HOURS.

1-Load dell drivers which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
    Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off

How to Install CWM?

Download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq
    Your DELL Venue will reboot after install finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo

a. Wipe data/Factory Reset)
    b. Wipe Cache Partition
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA botton to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive world of dell venue cm7 2.3 firmware!

Thanks
    Super cool and simple explaination quite helpful. Will try this.
    But are there any bugs in this update?
    Also if possible is there any rollback method if we get stuck or mobile bricks?

Thanks guys!nw my dell is working fine with cm7! can i download & use go launcher instead of inbuit adw launcher!how to uninstall it ?
    Yes you can
    No need to uninstall ADW launcher
    Just make GO launcher your default launcher