Battery life Snapdragon vs Exynos

Search This thread

Takatu002

Apr 25, 2014
I really wonder why there is no direct comparison yet between the Snapdragon and the Exynos according to battery life. For me personally it is the most important information to make my decision to get the Hong Kong SD855 or international Exynos version. My expectation was to get some direct comparison with the same benchmark even before release. Now it is already five days after release and there are still no battery benchmark results to get an idea how big the difference is between the two versions.
Is Samsung threatening the review sites? Is the gap that huge that they try to hide it?

invision1

Apr 7, 2014
My 2 cents - it's a massive difference, at the moment.

There's lots of discussion about it on this forum and on reddit with many people (myself included) noticing on average, exynos is underprforming (3-4 hours SOT) over a day vs snapdragon (7-8 hours SOT) over a day (eg 14-24 hours off charge)

'android system' and 'android os' appear in the top 3-4 processes in the battery stats page for exynos users but not snapdragon users. This seems to be a common trend.. A few people think its a bug in the software with the exynos SoC and can be patched by Samsung, although this is all speculation.

But then you get the odd exynos user posting 8+hours SOT over a 14-24 hour off charge period - so who knows. 3.5 to 4 hours SOT is my absolute Max :confused:

Last edited:

siavo

Dec 21, 2013
It's strange, I have the S10 exynos, the battery does last a full day, but screen on time is 4 hours tops. I installed Adhell 3 and it got worse, got rid of it and it's back to how it was in the beginning. I'm baffled at how some with the Exynos have 6+ hours of SOT.

garret1976

Jun 5, 2012
I have regular Exynos S10 and getting 6hr sot on wifi easily. With 4G LTE it's a lot worse. No numbers yet because I'm mostly on wifi.

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
Huawei Mate X2
I'm one of the few who get 8 plus sot with exynos. All day inside yesterday on wifi I was left with 35% with 6 hours and 45 minutes sot! Accubattery telling me 7% of that was lost when screen was off! That's incredible! So around 10 hours with WiFi and 7 to 8 with 4g!? I'm surprised

Optimized battery mode
Adaptive battery enabled
95% of apps commanded to sleep straight away once they're not used
Dark nose on

It ain't the smoothest experience though, frame drops here and there is feels like. It gets quite warm too!

I got Hong Kong snapdragon coming, I'll compare the 2. But right now, I must have a very good exynos chip!

Last edited:

peezy16

Mar 2, 2019
Exynos S10

Here are my first 3 days with the Exynos S10. Keep in mind that these are all school days (and there are literally no classes because it's almost summer) so I was mainly on 4G the whole time. Adaptive battery on, optimized, WQHD. Day 3 was where there was no more adapting to device usage habits notification on the battery page. Early thoughts - a bit disappointed even though my results were a bit above average compared to other Exynos posts. Honestly on the second day I was only at school for about 7 hours with mostly data on and some netflix (downloaded), lots of spotify. Galaxy Buds were in full effect. I'd say 60% of the time I use my phone I have them on. I think I got home at 1 with about 40% left. Day 3 I left school at about 11:30 ish and had about 60% left I think. Went on a few errands in the sun so it was on max brightness, data on. I think the battery is pretty fine but data eats a lot of battery. A lot.

Day 1 (WQHD)
5 hours 30 minutes SoT

Day 2 (WQHD)
Unplugged 4:26 AM - 100%
plugged 4:22 PM - 4%
6 hours 34 mins SoT
2x5ox8xAKiqb2t3uFUC1UHez2KJz0BIqBxs6P11s7zUOUGqBYsSphnlUUUkzHecxdAwek7Id0XK2lpboD9Npd0ahQlbPjyOZQNJETcEWzq5zb7tbljVgnt3skrrdB4IxQHGBbrVzdyYxPDA4pG8DHbBg_obotJveTIUgDR9LxsttWYlL1TXnlkYEHZCeEHmuePavaPR5rBgSd6FKrpm2psM2Ek2r3rCjqSByicKQIqZW57NhM3BpbsO5PnFTVFl2V1PumSqn-OWf420vL6WwbBmttYqEwA4FjvQjqxrSPn26YL8J99R9PU8OVab-TIGH8FiwEdY-L26MvWjFJ8jVn3PrbPl2auwyqaubsaaIXf9PlkEWYWXmmPcLeGk_o2keh8QHUbHvcW2CTcKzbRTeR_dufir56ristySiIlrYKjCeOTLGZ71DVRj9nLvkrVrZjz_uowRel9vP_TKCoJKAr1smS7z6Oq0VmHGLFBWZt29uxKKCmn-ZnSmT7vZ5KlchM5p1pEaBDHnedDGiXbXnyKV9UBJNP8Kv5RXWWeWM-Wwm3cmrEADqtkv72UZ354lNZQSYhSm9gC9huopaLdEnamjz4IQwd9D67HtLAEYvSCYGiEGoyBATILJDn9pbPcg0DUXpepDMOhO77RxUBD3bdDZDU0k1BFDu=w307-h920-no

Day 3 (WQHD)
Unplugged 1:27 AM - 100%
Left for school at exactly 5:30 AM - 83%
52 mins SoT
Estimated battery usage left - 9 hours 45 minutes
Arrived at school at approximately 6:30 - 77%
1 hour 30 mins SoT
plugged 3:03 PM - 3%
6 hours 17 mins SoT
4joriPi7m_O9zzwxW6u88N3MbM7glHXICU0CzvBjdOi0JZjFPUvb8AKoVCYAV2VYeQAijLtjy1vcijnPnioEfy6YcgdBoJdlF7Q3diUyfB5BLt_QynYwxElJEzlw-TcDSlZcGin1XTxnZLXoyBbM63LXyR5hg0xlPBK9uplGAK6BCEGry2VGzn83n9lie2Y0c0mKCoasGue0sb-zOnrVqA6iseFEHdWq5SkOm6T9X1Vg9ZmRLaMZfNpqobkWPpNmMDHDRrWxM-8t58OaZzbHaGm4WkjbeDSk1oXYJkUykb7h37GpX2yflwq_jws80SZ0J-LbYLdcLelsQezmnMeZEog6fUxv0mC7VqmVWHJ-BM_60bvatHOSZnApbAwS2ZvlC-n-hofiCjH6tMuJccS30gKh4DPm1bKXKR3ljoafTsOoE9lkAtt0AJdVGI4SoDD0-dBvX85fRalFi7K-sQdEvMpgDb8eIj5-NxPeLWEK5QRz2na-BlO7F2hZ_ikb3IiXOabbFGvu3fbUc_l4Ubr9hpNiKefRaYP_gT4imBN4O_T2wUCVCJmwvZVhOBrSYdneS7Rul_LRIyD7h7ZFWILhWOf1_P5yewoYBvz3AELE_vRTL_hVxPLRdGMYfdeKu0NsV7RqSBBZlZqc68Ftk0wK8jdY04sSPql6=w276-h920-no

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I experienced. I also kind of consciously preserved my battery throughout day 2 and 3 because I noticed that it won't last a whole day if I continued my usage habits.

Reactions: chalofito

johnny8910

Nov 11, 2010
Swindon
I have both the exynos and the US SD855 S10 unlocked versions.

I've been running them for around 4 days.
The 2 differences in performance I've noticed, is the SD855 version seems to have slightly better idle drain compared to the Exynos version.
I've also noticed when playing Asphalt 9, the Exynos one, does occasionally drop frames (Not really noticeable, unless you look for it though).

Last edited:

johnny8910

Nov 11, 2010
Swindon
Yes to be honest, but only my opinion .
The main one for me, is idle drain. There ain't much in it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
5hrs SOT with 40% remaining, that's not bad at all....:p

S10+, Exynos.....:good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190313-174127_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190313-174127_Settings.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,732

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Exynos is absolutely horrible on idle. If you're actually on the phone, it'll last a while. But if it's left to idle it drains horribly. It's so bad that I can't get through a day unless I turn things like AOD off, brightness down, less YouTube, etc. I purchased the Exynos variant hoping that there'd be root and what not, but it's not even worth waiting for. I'm back on my 6T, enjoying a phone that can actually last me an entire day. The Snapdragon may be better on battery life, but I fear for no updates.

johnny8910

Nov 11, 2010
Swindon
Exynos is absolutely horrible on idle. If you're actually on the phone, it'll last a while. But if it's left to idle it drains horribly. It's so bad that I can't get through a day unless I turn things like AOD off, brightness down, less YouTube, etc. I purchased the Exynos variant hoping that there'd be root and what not, but it's not even worth waiting for. I'm back on my 6T, enjoying a phone that can actually last me an entire day. The Snapdragon may be better on battery life, but I fear for no updates.

Cant say my Exynos version has horrible idle drain.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 2 cents - it's a massive difference, at the moment.

There's lots of discussion about it on this forum and on reddit with many people (myself included) noticing on average, exynos is underprforming (3-4 hours SOT) over a day vs snapdragon (7-8 hours SOT) over a day (eg 14-24 hours off charge)

'android system' and 'android os' appear in the top 3-4 processes in the battery stats page for exynos users but not snapdragon users. This seems to be a common trend.. A few people think its a bug in the software with the exynos SoC and can be patched by Samsung, although this is all speculation.

But then you get the odd exynos user posting 8+hours SOT over a 14-24 hour off charge period - so who knows. 3.5 to 4 hours SOT is my absolute Max :confused:
    Latest CS8 update fixed exynos battery problem and increased smoothness. Snapdragon, here we come... ;)
    You have very low expectations.
    5h sot with 1h of pubg ..on a 3100mah battery..low expectation lol
    What can I say, a bunch of theories on Reddit isn't proof and mine does not switch. I have read it and maybe I don't use mine hard enough to switch. I don't play games on it and I'm not a root kiddie, but enough. You have a theory, but like certain body parts, everybody has one.

Omg. It's not a theory, what he's saying is correct. It hasn't switched for your cause it finds it doesn't need to for how you use it is all.

I have both versions and it does this to them both. Proof enough for you?
    The battery life on my Exynos Galaxy S10+ ever since updating to the ASC8 firmware has been insane, it's been on all morning and it's still at 95% charge.
    The battery life on the previous firmware was so-so, so whatever they did to power management on this version, it improved A LOT.