[Release]FeaMod Recovery 1.4 - based on CWM Recovery v. 5.5.0.4.

Search This thread

manveru0

Oct 11, 2011
Bern
I've ported the CWM Recovery v. 5.0.2.7 to the Samsung Galaxy I9001 device.
Download it here and follow the instructions to install it. I will post any changes or updates again in this very first post.

Disclaimer: Flashing software onto your device might void your guarantee and may brick your phone. Use the attached software on your own risk. I am not responsible for any bricked device due to this software. You've been warned.

Credits and huge thanks go to:

Koush - for writing the original ClockworkMod Recovery
Ilarrain- for patching graphics.c for the Galaxy Ace device
YardE - providing init.d support to the custom kernel
Riversource - for providing scripts which make the handling of smd files super easy
All the users on this forum who have tested my former versions and helped to debug it - you're great

Are there any differences to "stock" CWM recovery which I can see?

Yes, there are. I've removed additional "No"'s in some functions. I've also changed the background logo and the name of the recovery (though "CWM Recovery" is still there due to make proper credits and copyright thing things). And of course there is the custom kernel included!

How to install/update

If you already have a FeaModRecovery version on your device it's simple:
Download one of the update.zip packages (starting with version 1.3) and copy it to one of your sdcards. Reboot into recovery and install the package (install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from ...).

If you're still on stock recovery or another one follow the the step-by-step instructions on the bottom of the post.

What about the version numbers?

The first number represents major updates (for example update to CWM 6 thus FeaMod v. 2)
The second number represents minor updates. For example if CWM goes up to 5.0.2.8 or I change something on my version.
The third number on some versions represents the kernel since it's a custom one and included in the whole package. So if only the last number changes, I have made "only" changes to the kernel.

Downloads
SMD files to flash via Odin

download FeaMod v1.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?oxxn0676fikkdaw
download FeaMod v1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?u9996yn6i7rc92z

Hint:
For those who experience boot loops. Before you flash a new version copy the content of your external sdcard onto your pc and format it afterwards. This should help. After you've successfully flashed and rebooted into your system you can copy the files back on your external sdcard.

zip files OC/UV kernel to flash via FeaMod Recovery
WARNING:
Applying the FeaMod Recovery with the FeaCore_OC/UV kernel is dangerous and may brick your phone. In any case it will drain your battery faster when running on 1.8 GHz all the time. Only install it when you know what you are doing! Otherwise install a package without a OC/UV supporting kernel.

FeaMod Recovery 1.3.1 with FeaCore Phoenix OC stable release: http://mediafire.com/?al9s0abvdjrmg6e

FeaCore Phoenix includes:
-BFQ I/O scheduler 2 r1
-SIO I/O scheduler
-OC up to 1.8 GHz
-smartassV2 governor (ondemand is default)
-JFS and CIFS support
-tun included
-bootanimation support
-new boot sound
- I8150 GPU librarys
-cleancache

FeaMod Recovery 1.4 with FeaCore Phoenix OC stable release: http://www.mediafire.com/?jqfbvxflev1jcoz

zip files without OC/UV kernel to flash via FeaMod Recovery
FeaMod Recovery 1.3.1 with FeaCore Phoenix nonOC stable release: http://mediafire.com/?5unogie5i58x85r

FeaMod Recovery 1.4 with FeaCore Phoenix nonOC stable release:http://www.mediafire.com/?ben9s5a8bz1d3gc

if you wanna change your bootanimation, copy your downloaded bootanimation.zip to /system/media/sanim.zip (yes you have to rename it to sanim.zip). Change the modus to 644 (rw-r--r--).

How to change the bootanimation:

Copy the bootanimation.zip to your sdcard and start adb shell:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
cd sdcard 
dd if=bootanimation.zip of=/system/media/sanim.zip
chmod 644 /system/media/sanim.zip

Changelog:

FeaMod v.1.1:
+ Performing a factory reset aka wipe data now doesn't delete the external sdcard anymore.
+ Performing a backup with no changes in the mount menu will automatically backup .android_secure as well.
+ The external sd card will no longer be "backuped" unless you manually mount the sd-ext in the mount menu.

FeaMod v.1.1.1:
+Kernel changes: initd support - implemented by YardE. BFQ I/O Scheduler implemented by me

FeaModRecovery v.1.2:
-Included the rest of the changes made by Koush
-You can now select wheter you wanna make the backup onto internal or external sdcard
-I've decided to let go the backup of the external sdcard (save .android_secure of course). Because it can destroy your internal sdcard when not properly handled and backing up the external sdcard on the external sdcard doesn't make any sense at all.

FeaModRecovery v.1.3:
- fixed a bug which led to a md5 mismatch when recovering only single partitions (advanced recovery).
- reimplement the reboot into recovery option. This option now makes sense again (see next point).
- I provide you from now on with update.zip packages to update FMR from within an already installed FMR.

FeaModRecovery v.1.4:
- https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/commits/ics/

Kernel (FeaCore_1.0 and FeaCore_1.0_OC/UV):
- update to jhash3 (for better reliability on data connections)
- implemented BrainFuck Scheduler as main scheduler (CFS is gone for the moment)
- implemented interactive governor (ondemand is still default and already very aggressive)
- implemented BFQ I/O
- init.d support (thx to YardE)

Kernel FeaCore Phoenix (OC and nonOC):
-jhash (battery drain is too high with jhash3)
-CFS as CPU scheduler
-SmartassV2 as new governor (ondemand is default)
-CFQ, BFQ, SIO and Deadline as I/O schedulers (SIO is default)
-supports Boot animation
-custom Boot sound
-cleancache patches
-I8150 GPU libraries

How to use

Start the FeaMod Recovery by pressing your Power Button and the Volume Up button simultaneously. Hold both keys until the Samsung Logo appears. Release both keys after additional 2-3 seconds and wait. The system now boots into FeaMod Recovery.

Navigate in the menu: Volume Up/Volume Down buttons
Select item: Menu Button
Return to start screen: Return button

Additional hints

Old versions (all versions until v.1.1.1): To backup your external-sd too, you need to mount the sd-ext partition in FeaMod Recovery:
Select mounts and storage -> mount /sd-ext.
Warning:
Don't backup your external sdcard if its content is larger than the space on your internal sdcard left!!!

If not manually mounted only your apps on the sd-ext will be saved.

In case the system won't recognize your external sdcard: Copy the content of your external sdcard to your PC and format it within your ROM. Copy the files back onto the newly formatted external sdcard. Thx to Igor_999 for stumbling across that problem ;)

Sources on github:
https://github.com/manveru0/FeaMod-Recovery

Have fun with it!

Do it step by step ;-)

For Odin related things, look also at the attached image.

Important: You have to install busybox under /system/xbin/ in order to get the init scripts working.
Get "Busybox Installer" from the market. That version let you choose the location to install it.

1. If you don't have at least XXKP4, download it from samsungmobile (you need to register, but it's worth it)
Browse through the forum and go to our devices, there you'll find the ROMs. If your comfortable with your ROM
go to step 3.
2. Download Odin 4.43 from here and flash the files. If you have a one package file, download AriesVE.ops from this post and select that one in Odin
under OPS file. If you downloaded XXKP4 select the bootloader.tar as the BOOT file, the MODEM file as the phone file, the PDA file as the PDA file and the CSC file as the CSC file. Flash it and wait until your phone has rebooted back into the system.
3. Download FeaMod Recovery v.1.2.
4. Open Odin again and select the AriesVE.ops as the OPS file. Tick the one package option under OPTION. The select the FeaMod file as the One Package file. Flash it! After 10 to 15 secs your device will reboot into your system.
6. Copy the Universal Adrenaline v.13 zip file (download it from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1236779) to your internal or external sdcard.
5. Shut your device down and reboot into FeaMod Recovery v.1.2. by holding the Volume up and Power Button simultaneously until the Samsung Logo appears, hold it for 2,3 seconds longer and release both buttons. Welcome to FeaMod zone :-D
6. Make a full backup either to your external or internal sdcard (look at the options you got) just to be sure.
7. Go to mount and storage -> mount /system
8. Go to advanced and select fix permissions.
9. Go to install zip from sdcard and select your fresh copy of adrenaline shot v. 13.
10. Reboot into system.

you got it! You now have FeaMod Recovery v.1.2. with the latest kernel from YardE and me which supports init.d and has BFQ as the default I/O scheduler. And you should have the applied adrenaline shot by now. Test it either with a terminal (you should have the /system/etc/init.d folder) or by the quadrant benchmark (you should get at least 2500 points). In case there are any questions left, ask for.

Attachments

• AriesVE.ops.zip
    277 bytes · Views: 64,460
  • Multi_Downloader_v4.43_with_smd0425.zip
    208 KB · Views: 39,552
  • odin.JPG
    odin.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 15,501
Last edited:
G

GuestK00250

hi. sorry i don't get it. what is the function for this? is it to backup my current ROM?

crisdorya

Jan 30, 2011
OK, I had a bad day today, but this made my day!

Thank you sooo MUCH!

So, now... Custom ROMs much more easily?

Reactions: Sot0

h94sharma

Sep 23, 2011
AWESOME

I've said it before and i'm saying it again You are awesome!!! Thnx a lot.
And also a big thank you to netchip without whom i dont think we could have had this :D
I'm soooo happy! now cyanogen mod to look forward tooo :D

Blumdum

Sep 6, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Nice cwm works but somehow my sdcard is causing problems.... I will format it in windows and try it again
Because the problem is that my phone freezes and turns off when my sdcard is in my device

Sent from my GT-I9001

manveru0

Oct 11, 2011
Bern
Nice cwm works but somehow my sdcard is causing problems.... I will format it in windows and try it again
Because the problem is that my phone freezes and turns off when my sdcard is in my device

Sent from my GT-I9001

You can also format your sdcard in CWM Recovery if your phone doesn't freeze in CWM:
mounts and storage -> format /sd-ext

traedre

Oct 27, 2010
Lille
Hi manveru0,

wonderful job dude! Thanks a lot! (I've clicked on the thanks button but when you see the number of users on this part of the forum I dare write you a note :) )

I've installed and backuped my device and it worked like a charm.

crybert

Oct 15, 2011
Am I right that there is init.d support included?

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA App

vvk-electron

Aug 7, 2009
Very nice work! There is one problem. Members from the site 4pda.ru actively using CWM. Only for Skype both cameras are becoming as rear, front camera disappears. The guys were asked to write about this issue. It is strange that this is not who did not notice. Itself is not using Skype. Check it out please.

Attachments

• snap20111104_002538.jpg
    snap20111104_002538.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Last edited:

prescott66

Dec 4, 2010
manveru du bist ein konig:D
thanks for one package :eek:
i will test it today
btw what for a cpu government was there setted up before?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've ported the CWM Recovery v. 5.0.2.7 to the Samsung Galaxy I9001 device.
    Download it here and follow the instructions to install it. I will post any changes or updates again in this very first post.

Disclaimer: Flashing software onto your device might void your guarantee and may brick your phone. Use the attached software on your own risk. I am not responsible for any bricked device due to this software. You've been warned.

Credits and huge thanks go to:

Koush - for writing the original ClockworkMod Recovery
    Ilarrain- for patching graphics.c for the Galaxy Ace device
    YardE - providing init.d support to the custom kernel
    Riversource - for providing scripts which make the handling of smd files super easy
    All the users on this forum who have tested my former versions and helped to debug it - you're great

Are there any differences to "stock" CWM recovery which I can see?

Yes, there are. I've removed additional "No"'s in some functions. I've also changed the background logo and the name of the recovery (though "CWM Recovery" is still there due to make proper credits and copyright thing things). And of course there is the custom kernel included!

How to install/update

If you already have a FeaModRecovery version on your device it's simple:
    Download one of the update.zip packages (starting with version 1.3) and copy it to one of your sdcards. Reboot into recovery and install the package (install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from ...).

If you're still on stock recovery or another one follow the the step-by-step instructions on the bottom of the post.

What about the version numbers?

The first number represents major updates (for example update to CWM 6 thus FeaMod v. 2)
    The second number represents minor updates. For example if CWM goes up to 5.0.2.8 or I change something on my version.
    The third number on some versions represents the kernel since it's a custom one and included in the whole package. So if only the last number changes, I have made "only" changes to the kernel.

Downloads
    SMD files to flash via Odin

download FeaMod v1.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?oxxn0676fikkdaw
    download FeaMod v1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?u9996yn6i7rc92z

Hint:
    For those who experience boot loops. Before you flash a new version copy the content of your external sdcard onto your pc and format it afterwards. This should help. After you've successfully flashed and rebooted into your system you can copy the files back on your external sdcard.

zip files OC/UV kernel to flash via FeaMod Recovery
    WARNING:
    Applying the FeaMod Recovery with the FeaCore_OC/UV kernel is dangerous and may brick your phone. In any case it will drain your battery faster when running on 1.8 GHz all the time. Only install it when you know what you are doing! Otherwise install a package without a OC/UV supporting kernel.

FeaMod Recovery 1.3.1 with FeaCore Phoenix OC stable release: http://mediafire.com/?al9s0abvdjrmg6e

FeaCore Phoenix includes:
    -BFQ I/O scheduler 2 r1
    -SIO I/O scheduler
    -OC up to 1.8 GHz
    -smartassV2 governor (ondemand is default)
    -JFS and CIFS support
    -tun included
    -bootanimation support
    -new boot sound
    - I8150 GPU librarys
    -cleancache

FeaMod Recovery 1.4 with FeaCore Phoenix OC stable release: http://www.mediafire.com/?jqfbvxflev1jcoz

zip files without OC/UV kernel to flash via FeaMod Recovery
    FeaMod Recovery 1.3.1 with FeaCore Phoenix nonOC stable release: http://mediafire.com/?5unogie5i58x85r

FeaMod Recovery 1.4 with FeaCore Phoenix nonOC stable release:http://www.mediafire.com/?ben9s5a8bz1d3gc

if you wanna change your bootanimation, copy your downloaded bootanimation.zip to /system/media/sanim.zip (yes you have to rename it to sanim.zip). Change the modus to 644 (rw-r--r--).

How to change the bootanimation:

Copy the bootanimation.zip to your sdcard and start adb shell:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cd sdcard 
    dd if=bootanimation.zip of=/system/media/sanim.zip
    chmod 644 /system/media/sanim.zip

Changelog:

FeaMod v.1.1:
    + Performing a factory reset aka wipe data now doesn't delete the external sdcard anymore.
    + Performing a backup with no changes in the mount menu will automatically backup .android_secure as well.
    + The external sd card will no longer be "backuped" unless you manually mount the sd-ext in the mount menu.

FeaMod v.1.1.1:
    +Kernel changes: initd support - implemented by YardE. BFQ I/O Scheduler implemented by me

FeaModRecovery v.1.2:
    -Included the rest of the changes made by Koush
    -You can now select wheter you wanna make the backup onto internal or external sdcard
    -I've decided to let go the backup of the external sdcard (save .android_secure of course). Because it can destroy your internal sdcard when not properly handled and backing up the external sdcard on the external sdcard doesn't make any sense at all.

FeaModRecovery v.1.3:
    - fixed a bug which led to a md5 mismatch when recovering only single partitions (advanced recovery).
    - reimplement the reboot into recovery option. This option now makes sense again (see next point).
    - I provide you from now on with update.zip packages to update FMR from within an already installed FMR.

FeaModRecovery v.1.4:
    - https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/commits/ics/

Kernel (FeaCore_1.0 and FeaCore_1.0_OC/UV):
    - update to jhash3 (for better reliability on data connections)
    - implemented BrainFuck Scheduler as main scheduler (CFS is gone for the moment)
    - implemented interactive governor (ondemand is still default and already very aggressive)
    - implemented BFQ I/O
    - init.d support (thx to YardE)

Kernel FeaCore Phoenix (OC and nonOC):
    -jhash (battery drain is too high with jhash3)
    -CFS as CPU scheduler
    -SmartassV2 as new governor (ondemand is default)
    -CFQ, BFQ, SIO and Deadline as I/O schedulers (SIO is default)
    -supports Boot animation
    -custom Boot sound
    -cleancache patches
    -I8150 GPU libraries

How to use

Start the FeaMod Recovery by pressing your Power Button and the Volume Up button simultaneously. Hold both keys until the Samsung Logo appears. Release both keys after additional 2-3 seconds and wait. The system now boots into FeaMod Recovery.

Navigate in the menu: Volume Up/Volume Down buttons
    Select item: Menu Button
    Return to start screen: Return button

Additional hints

Old versions (all versions until v.1.1.1): To backup your external-sd too, you need to mount the sd-ext partition in FeaMod Recovery:
    Select mounts and storage -> mount /sd-ext.
    Warning:
    Don't backup your external sdcard if its content is larger than the space on your internal sdcard left!!!

If not manually mounted only your apps on the sd-ext will be saved.

In case the system won't recognize your external sdcard: Copy the content of your external sdcard to your PC and format it within your ROM. Copy the files back onto the newly formatted external sdcard. Thx to Igor_999 for stumbling across that problem ;)

Sources on github:
    https://github.com/manveru0/FeaMod-Recovery

Have fun with it!

Do it step by step ;-)

Important: You have to install busybox under /system/xbin/ in order to get the init scripts working.
    Get "Busybox Installer" from the market. That version let you choose the location to install it.

1. If you don't have at least XXKP4, download it from samsungmobile (you need to register, but it's worth it)
    Browse through the forum and go to our devices, there you'll find the ROMs. If your comfortable with your ROM
    go to step 3.
    2. Download Odin 4.43 from here and flash the files. If you have a one package file, download AriesVE.ops from this post and select that one in Odin
    under OPS file. If you downloaded XXKP4 select the bootloader.tar as the BOOT file, the MODEM file as the phone file, the PDA file as the PDA file and the CSC file as the CSC file. Flash it and wait until your phone has rebooted back into the system.
    4. Open Odin again and select the AriesVE.ops as the OPS file. Tick the one package option under OPTION. The select the FeaMod file as the One Package file. Flash it! After 10 to 15 secs your device will reboot into your system.
    6. Copy the Universal Adrenaline v.13 zip file (download it from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1236779) to your internal or external sdcard.
    5. Shut your device down and reboot into FeaMod Recovery v.1.2. by holding the Volume up and Power Button simultaneously until the Samsung Logo appears, hold it for 2,3 seconds longer and release both buttons. Welcome to FeaMod zone :-D
    6. Make a full backup either to your external or internal sdcard (look at the options you got) just to be sure.
    9. Go to install zip from sdcard and select your fresh copy of adrenaline shot v. 13.
    10. Reboot into system.

you got it! You now have FeaMod Recovery v.1.2. with the latest kernel from YardE and me which supports init.d and has BFQ as the default I/O scheduler. And you should have the applied adrenaline shot by now. Test it either with a terminal (you should have the /system/etc/init.d folder) or by the quadrant benchmark (you should get at least 2500 points). In case there are any questions left, ask for.
    + 1

Keep up the good work guys!
    Ignore the stupid questions were the answer can be found in the thread or page one.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA App

hey guys. Thx for your kind answers. As I've written before I'm not gonna stop developing. It's indeed interesting and gives a lot of experience. But yeah I have to admit that I was getting annoyed by some guys who only seem to ask and never show any hint of trying to solve problems on their own. You oudbrood amongst others are right, I just have to ignore those questions as I have not the time to support that kind of questions. As I'm investing a lot of time in learning more, reading bug reports, compiling new versions, trying not to forget working on CM7 and so on and so forth, I just need to slow down with trying to answer every question (though it's been answered a thousand times before) and to leave the "daily board and talk" as it is.

I don't wanna fight Sakindia but I have to admit that his behaviour is somewhat irritating to me as I strongly believe in the open source idea and kind of sharing knowledge amongst the ones who are interested in.

So I'm still not leaving you guys as you give a hell lot back with hints, bug reports and so on. But I'm gonna invest less time in the "daily usage of the board". Hope you get my meaning
    I was expecting some feedback from manveru0 but he doesn't look like willing to reply.

1. Sorry guys but some of you have to learn that we are doing this on our sparetime without getting any money out of it. I still have a live beside developing/modding...

2. Some guys for example are unwilling to read the threads and use google and therefore ask some questions again and again.

3. At last there are guys like Sakindia who make a great showoff but have to ask everything from other developers/modders and expect that they always get help.

As I am pissed of by such behaviour I've decided to leave this forum just for a while and get some distance from it.
    Seems you guys did a great job here. Since i'm a I9000 user, i can't try it by myself.
    Now i just wanted to ask, if some of you are willing to create a complete step by step installation guide for this Kernel + Adrenalin shot, including links to every needed file (odin, BusyBox, the correct Adrenalin shot Version and so on). I think it's very hard to read trough the whole thread, without missing anything, especially for People who are new to this (like friends of mine). What do you think?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

yeah, I'm gonna attach it to the first post later

EDIT: attached a step by step instruction in the first post and here

Do it step by step ;-)

go to step 3.
    10. Reboot into system.

I've finished patching kernel sources (Samsung has really bad code quality checking with lots of awful solutions such as hard-coding code to be built as module, without checking kconfig), so now if I have msm_param loaded as module or built into kernel, rebooting works properly with "reboot recovery_done". It's sufficient for me for now, I'll patch CWM later (maybe make a proposal to the official source tree). Another question is - why does it even work without this on most of the phones? (and it worked for me before, too) Maybe different versions of bootloaders or boards...
    @skywalker01
    Big thanks for this hint, again ^_^.
    upd: I've read your last post just now, so I've already done patching the kernel - now we can just call "reboot_wrapper("recovery_done")" instead of copying the code.
    upd2: I keep all my changes in my old kernel source tree for now. I'll fork manveru0's tree later and make a pull request, but there is some problems with non-overclocked branch of his tree (some file is not included), and I don't have enough time for merge now.
    upd3: necessary CWM changes are in my source tree now, too. I'll make a pull request to manveru0' tree later.