How do you copy files from Note10 using DeX?

Search This thread

CJSnet

Oct 1, 2005
www.superhighstreet.com
Edit: Solved in post #19 and above.

Hi guys, I have the 10+ and DeX on macOS and it's awesome. But, all the articles (even on XDA) say you can simply "drag and drop" files.

I've found that I can indeed drop files from macOS Finder onto DeX and they get uploaded to the phone's Downloads (!) folder. Cool.

But I can't copy from the phone to the computer. Dragging from Samsung's Files app within DeX does not work. When someone works this out, please reply.

Last edited:

PapaWangsta

Mar 6, 2011
At the moment short answer is no. Looks like Samsung over promised and under deliver. The DeX will be updated with drag and drop file management. Its so sad, Sammy has removed the disk drive host when u plugs in the usb to pc. Bummer. Which was so convenient just drag and drop anything. At moment looks like the only option is cloud.

Reactions: CJSnet

dave7802

Jan 23, 2007
Liverpool
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
While drag and drop is not possible, You should still have access to your Phones Device Storage from within windows.
I can access both the 256GB partition and my External SD Card via Explorer on windows 10. Its not ideal, but i can still drag and drop back and forth. Just beats the purpose of Dex and there advertisements of the drag and drop on the dex window

PapaWangsta

Mar 6, 2011

CJSnet

Oct 1, 2005
www.superhighstreet.com
Yep, Sammy made it difficult for us. Shoot, I transfer video files constantly.

No software needed. Its a plug and play. If u dont have otg cable, get something like this. Works like a charm.

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IE70PQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ok so you're not actually transferring files from the phone directly to the computer via a cable? That's the problem raised in this thread.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

jabberwock

"Onto the selected files"?

Can you detail exactly how you are moving a file from the phone to the computer via a cable?

Well, exactly like I said. First click a file so it is selected. Then click and hold the selected file again. It turns into a floating icon with a small DeX logo. Then, while still holding the mouse button, you can drag the file outside the DeX window to your desktop.

Reactions: CJSnet

CJSnet

Oct 1, 2005
www.superhighstreet.com
Well, exactly like I said. First click a file so it is selected. Then click and hold the selected file again. It turns into a floating icon with a small DeX logo. Then, while still holding the mouse button, you can drag the file outside the DeX window to your desktop.
Ok maybe you have an updated version. Thanks I'll try this!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

CJSnet

Oct 1, 2005
www.superhighstreet.com
First click a file so it is selected. Then click and hold the selected file again. It turns into a floating icon with a small DeX logo.

This was the key. I'm sure I tried that several times so I think the DeX app updated, but yes:

1. Open Samsung's My Files app within DeX
2. Hold down a file until a check appears to its left
3. Let go of the mouse button
4. Hold down again, and drag to your computer

KnownBrave

Aug 27, 2015
Hi guys, I have the 10+ and DeX on macOS and it's awesome. But, all the articles (even on XDA) say you can simply "drag and drop" files.

I've found that I can indeed drop files from macOS Finder onto DeX and they get uploaded to the phone's Downloads (!) folder. Cool.

But I can't copy from the phone to the computer. Dragging from Samsung's Files app within DeX does not work. When someone works this out, please reply.

Hey guys, so I found a work around.
If you have recently downloaded and installed DeX, it also updated your Samsung Driver which is the problem. What I managed to do was just uninstall Samsung USB driver and install an older working version then restart computer.

Now if that doesn't work, then uninstall DeX and the Samsung USB driver, and install the older Samsung USB driver then simply restart your computer and you should be good to go.

On one computer, I had to only uninstall USB driver. On another I had to uninstall DeX as well. So try both methods.
I installed Samsung driver from May 2018, may work with other old versions, but that was the first one I tried and it worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At the moment short answer is no. Looks like Samsung over promised and under deliver. The DeX will be updated with drag and drop file management. Its so sad, Sammy has removed the disk drive host when u plugs in the usb to pc. Bummer. Which was so convenient just drag and drop anything. At moment looks like the only option is cloud.
    "Onto the selected files"?

Can you detail exactly how you are moving a file from the phone to the computer via a cable?