Who actually likes their nexus 10

Search This thread

dale_cooper

Apr 5, 2010
I'm on the hunt for a nexus 10 at a local staples - the majority of posts I see in here are people *****ing about performance issues and light bleed or other build quality problems. Meanwhile I do see posts about people absolutely in love with the N10 (rightfully so)

The light bleed thread seems like a nightmare - although people who RMA a device 6 times should really get a life and move on to a different product. Is the light bleed really a major issue or should I go ahead and buy one?

Sorry for the junk thread but I didn't see very many threads in here where people are actually giving credit to the N10 and singing praises. hard to guage the "fringe" vs "the average person's experience"

SteveRiley

Dec 19, 2005
Seattle, WA, USA
Alrighty...my Nexus 10 is fantastic. Staples followed through on their promised two-day delivery, I have no light bleed, and the thing hasn't crashed or rebooted once. I immediately installed Paranoid Android on the thing, didn't even once boot the stock JB it came with. Couldn't be happier.

EDNYLaw

Nov 26, 2010
New York
I love my Nexus. I had a Xoom WIFI (that is now the girlfriend's) that I loved and my Nexus blows it out of the water. I have Task650 and KToonsez's AOKP on there with KToonsez's KT Manta kernel and it's a beast. Combined with ES File Explorer, Netflix and Hulu the tablet is the ultimate portable media device as well as great for browsing and e-reading.

Reactions: rokahaal

kleffman

Mar 1, 2011
Love it. I have a little light bleed and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't get why it matters I guess.

Hiro11

Jun 1, 2008
I really like mine (32gb, stock rom). The screen is amazing, especially with pages that have good text renderers. The tablet also has state-of-the-art performance in day-to-day use. No light bleed at all in mine. Native resolution apps are scarce on the ground, which is a bit of an issue but one that should be resolved shortly (I hope) as Android tablets seem primed to explode in popularity.

One annoying problem I've run into is Chrome's instability. Chrome has crashed at least once per day since I got it. When I say "crash", I mean full system lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. I've resorted to using Dolphin and Firefox with no problems. Google needs to fix tablet Chrome, though.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I'm not too impressed with the (inevitable) thermal throttling that basically makes the advertised 1.7GHz dual-core speed, a lie :/ But, to be fair, most of what I do on the N10 works fine and performs just fine :)

But still... essentially not being able to run a demanding game for too long isn't impressive...

One annoying problem I've run into is Chrome's instability. Chrome has crashed at least once per day since I got it. When I say "crash", I mean full system lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. I've resorted to using Dolphin and Firefox with no problems. Google needs to fix tablet Chrome, though.
I've used Chrome for a while now on my tablet, with 0 crashes or system lockups, but have heard many stories of people mentioning Chrome crashing and etc. Not really too sure what I might be doing different though...

Reactions: Simba501

digitalrelic

Nov 13, 2012
Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

Aridon

May 14, 2007
Its very good. I think Google still has a ways to go though in the tablet world but its getting much better. Still the best android 10 inch out there.

stormricker

Dec 1, 2012
I absolutely love mine. It is lightning fast, runs more games than my Infinity, the screen is incredible and the tablet has given me zero trouble. The battery life/slow charging is only a small ding for me.

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Having had mine since release, I still love it. Easily better than my iPad 3 was, and massively better than any other android tablet. So powerful. The screen is so sick. The front speakers.

I agree with those saying chrome is a pos, the aosp browser is so much better! Weird as chrome works well on my n4. There is a tiny bit of "light bleed" in the bottom right cover, but as others have said this is a fundamental characteristic of backlit screens. My TV has much worse light bleed than my tablet!

C

cb3ck

I've been using mine for 2 weeks now, this is my first and only tablet.

I love the feel and form factor of the 10. It's lightweight and easy to use with one hand or two, but it still feels sturdy to me. I love that I can pack it around the house with me, or lay down in bed and prop it up in my arms and comfortably watch some YouTube or TV shows on Hulu. The overall mobility is great, and I especially look forward to traveling with it.

I'm happy with the media content. I've been with Android since day 1, so I didn't want to leave behind all the apps and content I've purchased up to now. From what I can tell I won't be missing out on any of my core apps, magazines, movies, etc... I will concede that right now many developers seem to just be blowing up their apps to fit the 10, instead of optimizing the app to fit. I'm hopeful this will improve in 2013.

Performance wise it's been a mixed bag for me. I'm running stock and unrooted with Nova Launcher. 95% of the time navigation and usage is buttery smooth, but it's not completely perfect. I have had issues with Chrome freezing up and causing the tablet to restart, so I'm using dolphin. I've had just a few other times when it's rebooted randomly. Gaming on the 10 is overall a superb experience, however I do have issues with lag and stutter in NFS Most Wanted and on rare occasions in Sword & Sorcery. I am sort of bugged that the gaming experience is superior on an Ipad, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one just for that. All of these things are annoyances at worst - not deal breakers for me. It's embarrassing though to have the system I love have issues like these right out of the box. Again, this is my first tablet so I'm unaware of what the experience is like on other tablets and OS'es and if this is a common thing or not. The positives are that I can use this thing for 3 days and have 6 hours of screen time without having to charge it. I like that.

The screen is fantastic! Prior to receiving my tablet I'd been lurking in the "Damnit, my Nexus has light bleed" thread and had myself half scared to death that that light bleed would ruin my experience with the 10. I do have pretty severe yellow bleed in my corners, but surprisingly it doesn't really ever become noticeable in my day to day use. It bugs me that it's still there and I have requested a replacement on the basis that I expect a near mint copy if I'm paying $400 for it, but I think you can get by most of the time without ever noticing that it's an issue. YMMV. If my next one is bad I might even keep mine because I don't think I have any other issues with it.

My overall experience is very positive. I do wish that the screen bleed issues weren't there and that Samsung actually would have taken the time to calibrate the color and gamma on the panel as well. I'm a perfectionist in my work, so it dumbfounds me to thing that 2 companies like Samsung and Google could release a flawed product, but this seems to be the best choice available to me so I've taken it. My nexus is basically a $400 bedside toy right now, but I love it! Eventually I will transition to getting a bluetooth keyboard and purchase one of the office suite products and use it for true productivity purposes.

scottypimpin636

May 12, 2009
I like the device but I hate the state that it's in right now. I can't believe they released this to the public with the not only the software issues that are well known, but the usb charging to top it off.

This thing should still be in final beta stages, not out in the public for nearly 2 months already.

dale_cooper

Apr 5, 2010
Well my nexus legacy will continue - just ordered the 16gb on google play (what are the chances it becomes in stock as I make this thread heh)....

It will be a battle between this and the acer w510 tablet I picked up (x86 windows 8 tablet). Definitely need to get a bluetooth keyboard case ordered though.

sezaro21

Jun 26, 2010
Palm Coast
I really liked it when it worked. I did have the hard freezes which required reboots. they were always caused by Chrome. When I unistalled Chrome and put in the AOSP Browser it was much better. The one thing I couldn't get over was the light bleed on all 6. For the money I spent on it, I couldn't justify just having to deal with it.

Lesser Version

Oct 29, 2010
Very happy with mine and even with the couple things that irk me, I am glad I got it! Great title for this thread, because I wondered the same thing.

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
I love mine and have had no reboots or freezes, but I do get some lag during hard gaming. Fingers crossed that can be fixed with updates or a new trinity/other kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
    Rma the wife?
    :)

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I really never understood this. What kept the iPad from being a laptop replacement that the Nexus 10 somehow fills? The custimization? The iPad performs better and has more tablet optimized apps. Its not like either truly multitask.

I honestly never believe a tablet replaces a laptop. Even when I had my iPad (which I really shouldn't have sold for this to be honest) it was just an in between device I used for class to take notes on.

I can understand what he's saying perfectly. Things I can do on my N10 I couldn't do on my ipad:

Download something from the internet.
    Assuming I got some crappy download app from the ios app store: Actually DO anything with the download once I have it.
    Plug the device in, copy some stuff onto it without using itunes and converting it to the correct format first. Maybe copy a .doc or PDF even! :eek:
    Torrents
    Emulators
    Flash on the internet
    Share a file between two applications.
    Save an email attachment.

With a little perseverance, there is very little I can't do on my N10 than I can on my laptop.

Also, Android DOES support full-on multitasking. IOS doesn't.
    Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.
    Is there any conclusive evidence that this is the case in every Nexus 10 out there and not just in people running a custom kernel?

For the record, I can play NFS:MW for hours without a single frame drop, stock.

Running StabilityTest (ROOT optional) for a while (CPU + GPU Test) should show current CPU frequency, and then after a while, show the frequency drop in increments of 100MHz.

There "is" a way to show if the CPU is throttling or not from logcat I believe, I haven't actually noticed though.

On stock (for me anyway, and a few others have also reported this) NFS:MW will play fine, and then framerate will drop, and then go back to normal. I have no idea how to really "prove" FPS values though, other then using a 60FPS camcorder to record a race on your N10, and then judge by eye manually.