This is why we can't have nice things

Search This thread

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
Firstly i'll admit this may come off as a rant, but i will be making some valid points that i believe need to be addressed :)

Secondly, i really don't care if anybody finds this offensive because well points need to be made and sometimes they have to be bluntly made.

Thirdly, i'm sure many of you will agree with me on these points.

Fourthly, @Mods i understand this may come off a bit harsh to some people but again things need to be said.

Finally, please enjoy this read :)

Well here's the story of how i ended up writing this thread, ever since the Galaxy S3 came out many of you probably noticed that i was constantly helping people every single day, basically answering the same questions day in and day out. For a while i was fine with that, but the past few months i've almost ceased posting entirely, why you ask? Because answering the same questions everyday when their are plenty of stickies, and plenty of threads already asking those exact questions just got tiring and frustrating. Its very simple to search the forums as well as google, and to post a thread asking about a problem that can be answered by simply looking 1 to 5 threads down is just laziness and not needed. I understand people want answers quickly, but sometimes where you post these issues becomes an issue as well.

Issues #1: READ THE ORIGINAL POST (OP)

Example A: Bajee11 brought rootbox to our phones, and now he's closed his thread. Why? Because people couldn't just read the original post and keep non-development talk out of his thread.

Thread can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2134052

If you read his original post right below the downloads section is a Non-development | Discussion | Support banner in big bold letters with a link to where non-development talk should be discussed, simple enough to read and understand. Its not hidden away at all, so their should be no reason why somebody can't see it.

What happened? Somebody flashed the i9300 (european) rom onto their i535 (verizon) phone. And essentially bricked the phone (wouldn't boot up) and that user posted about it asking for support. (ALL posts in their have since been removed so i can't show them to you but please take my word for it)

At this point, support should not be asked in the developers thread when he's stated not to post non development stuff in his thread.

But that's now what happened, people started helping him which is nice to do, but again in the wrong place. And posts continued which clogged up the thread and made things more difficult. Eventually the developer asked that it be stopped and taken somewhere else so that his thread wasn't clogged up with that junk, and this is what happened.

Originally Posted by Internet Guy
Don't be a ****. This forum is here to not only provide Roms and various tools for android users, but also to provide help when needed.

Take a chill pill, friend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Bajee11: Dude, this is my thread so I expect the rules to be followed. I have over 20 threads to maintain and I don't want to come back here for every single post when it's not development related. You guys have no clue how hard it is to track bugs when users don't follow any rules and specially when you got several devices to maintain. Not only do you not know what a development thread is, you even take on me for pointing out this not the right place for bricked phone discussion? This is why XDA has different sections for these kind of things and users like you should learn that. Anyways, closing thread.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Somebody goes and decides to challenge him instead of being respectful and taking NON ROM DEVELOPMENT talk somewhere else, it could've easily been dealt with in PM's, or searching the forum, or help me god making yet another thread about it.

This user that had an issue could've solved his problem by simply looking at this sticky thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2079399

Why is this a problem?
Well quite frankly the people that were using the Rootbox rom now have to sit, wait and wonder whether support will continue for D2VZW or if they should move on, just because some people couldn't read the OP and follow the simple requests, and had to feel the need to then challenge the OP instead of just respecting him.

Oh but that only applies to one rom my rom is fine
Have you ever tried to figure what bugs are in a rom only to be forced to read a million posts that aren't related to that rom at all but instead somebody doing something stupid resulting in user error not rom error? I know i have, its so frustrating to have to skim through 20 pages when in reality if people could keep things where they belong we wouldn't have that issue. Once you flash something that's not stock on the rom, ANY BUGS that occur are not the roms fault, because their is no way of knowing whether whatever you flashed caused it or not.

Flash a different kernel, then have x,y,z errors? Post in the KERNEL thread about it, i guarantee you'll get more kernel support their than in the Rom thread. You could make a simple post in the Rom thread and say "hey guys i flashed X kernel and now Y isn't working, just letting others know" Bam end of story, its simple, alerts other users and keeps thing clean.

Okay so that's one post but i see a million of them, okay well lets say User A posts that, then users B-Y post irrelevant nonsense then user Z posts the same thing as A, that's why you see it a bunch. Because B-Y or a combination had irrelevant information in their posts.

Solutions:
Option 1: I realize this is hard but please people have some respect and self control and keep posts where they are relevant. Or maybe the mod's should just start warning/giving infractions to people that can't obey the rules and have some damn respect when a developer asks you to please take business somewhere else.

Option 2: Instead of cluttering up the development thread, go make some thread in Q/A even though that'll go against my second issue it'll be better than clogging up relevant rom information/development, that users want to see. I'm sorry but if you brick your phone flashing something that's not meant for your phone that your own damn fault for not reading what you're download and flashing.

Option 3: If you can't read the OP then you shouldn't be rooting your phone. Honestly folks its not hard to read the OP, its their for a reason, not for you to skip down to the downloads link, flash the rom, and then say "X and Y are missing" when in the OP it clearly states they aren't there. And what do you know that's one more useless post.

Time for me to take a breath...

Issue #2: Not using the search function

I realize this may be hard for people to understand but its their for a reason, not to just look pretty. Its sole purpose is to try and keep things clean and help users to find helpful information. How many of you use google search everyday? i know i do, probably over 100 times a day and its very helpful, so i KNOW that you other users have used a search engine before, so why not use the one on XDA? Its not rocket science and its got plenty of options to help you narrow stuff down.

Hell even before you post a thread, it'll automatically search for relevant threads related to your title.

Notice: When you enter a thread title the system will search for similar threads which have already been posted. That should help you to find answers.

Now tell me are you blind, or do you choose to ignore it? I'm guessing its the second one. Or maybe people are too lazy to just read the titles of threads, i guarantee you whatever issue you are having somebody else has had and already got an answer for it. Obviously we can't force people to use it, but please people, google is your friend, the search bar is your friend.

Solutions:
Option 1: Up the post requirement for development sections, i know i know this probably will be hated but its clear that it's needed. People still can't seem to just get it right anymore. Maybe if they have to spend a little more time actually using the forum they'll actually start to realize all these helpful things around them.

Option 2: Can we just start banning people? haha i kid i kid. But seriously, can we give Rom developers the right to edit posts in their respective threads, so if they deem something as pointless, then bam deleted :)

At this point i'm out of breath and tired from staring at the screen.

But i'll leave with this 99% of errors are user errors not rom errors. Yes that's right i'm blaming the users, because hey its your fault for messing something up. I flash rom's everyday and yet i don't have these crazy errors that others have, but hey i'm flashing stuff that's meant for my phone ;) People really need to stop being dumb and start reading the OP it contains so much information, i swear some of you will flashing anything even if in the OP it states "THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR PHONE" and guess what, you'll flash it anyways because you're too lazy to take ONE minute to read it. You could read while making your nandroid backup, oh hey that's a great idea :) And when you have an issue, just use the search function.

I understand we were all noobs at once, but still... like i said, most issues are user error.

TLTR:
-Please read OP's
-Please use the search bar
-Please post issues in their respective threads
-Please don't post irrelevant nonsense in development threads, that's not the place for it.
-Please if you flash anything not stock with the rom, don't blame the rom.
-Please post rom issues in rom threads, and kernel issues in kernel threads.
-Please if you do something stupid, keep it out of the rom/kernel thread.
-Please read stickies, they contain more information than your heart desires and will help you in the long run.
-Please try and understand where i am coming from :)

Oh and again, i don't care if i offended some of you.

-NeverEndingXsin

bobAbooE

Apr 8, 2011
Indiana
Haha, you quoted that?

I don't let phone stuff get to me. Life's too short. But maybe this will help, maybe not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
Haha, you quoted that?

I don't let phone stuff get to me. Life's too short. But maybe this will help, maybe not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

The final straw for me was that a recognized developer closed his thread due to people being rude, inconsiderate, and not reading the OP. Figured it was time to say something.

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
Happened when I was on the Rezound as well. People made Erishasnobattery really mad, and he and Apophis closed off the paradigm thread.

Sent from FBI Headquarters

Its a damn shame things go down like that. But i can't blame the developers for getting sick of it. People expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter, but that's not how life is.

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
This really needed to be said. People feel way to entitled around here. You don't realize what you have until you lose it.

I couldn't agree more. Everything that i know to this day about android i learned by reading threads, reading stickies, and paying attention to problems others are having and the solutions to them. Its not hard to do.

llama555

Dec 11, 2010
The problem is the people that post all that clutter aren't going to find this thread. They are way too lazy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

imaconeheadXD

Jul 9, 2012
New York
The problem is the people that post all that clutter aren't going to find this thread. They are way too lazy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Not even that they won't find the thread, but they'll just skip over it. And then anyone that actually opens the thread most likely won't bother to read this OP either...

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Unfortunately, it's always going to happen. The best we can do is report the offending posts. The more you report, the more the mods, and admins will take notice. They will in turn, notify the offenders, and remove the posts/threads.

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
Unfortunately, it's always going to happen. The best we can do is report the offending posts. The more you report, the more the mods, and admins will take notice. They will in turn, notify the offenders, and remove the posts/threads.

Mhmmmm. But when developers decide they don't want to develop for a particular phone due to users being like that it starts to become an issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly i'll admit this may come off as a rant, but i will be making some valid points that i believe need to be addressed :)

Secondly, i really don't care if anybody finds this offensive because well points need to be made and sometimes they have to be bluntly made.

Thirdly, i'm sure many of you will agree with me on these points.

Fourthly, @Mods i understand this may come off a bit harsh to some people but again things need to be said.

Finally, please enjoy this read :)

Well here's the story of how i ended up writing this thread, ever since the Galaxy S3 came out many of you probably noticed that i was constantly helping people every single day, basically answering the same questions day in and day out. For a while i was fine with that, but the past few months i've almost ceased posting entirely, why you ask? Because answering the same questions everyday when their are plenty of stickies, and plenty of threads already asking those exact questions just got tiring and frustrating. Its very simple to search the forums as well as google, and to post a thread asking about a problem that can be answered by simply looking 1 to 5 threads down is just laziness and not needed. I understand people want answers quickly, but sometimes where you post these issues becomes an issue as well.

Issues #1: READ THE ORIGINAL POST (OP)

Example A: Bajee11 brought rootbox to our phones, and now he's closed his thread. Why? Because people couldn't just read the original post and keep non-development talk out of his thread.

Thread can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2134052

If you read his original post right below the downloads section is a Non-development | Discussion | Support banner in big bold letters with a link to where non-development talk should be discussed, simple enough to read and understand. Its not hidden away at all, so their should be no reason why somebody can't see it.

What happened? Somebody flashed the i9300 (european) rom onto their i535 (verizon) phone. And essentially bricked the phone (wouldn't boot up) and that user posted about it asking for support. (ALL posts in their have since been removed so i can't show them to you but please take my word for it)

At this point, support should not be asked in the developers thread when he's stated not to post non development stuff in his thread.

But that's now what happened, people started helping him which is nice to do, but again in the wrong place. And posts continued which clogged up the thread and made things more difficult. Eventually the developer asked that it be stopped and taken somewhere else so that his thread wasn't clogged up with that junk, and this is what happened.

Originally Posted by Internet Guy
    Don't be a ****. This forum is here to not only provide Roms and various tools for android users, but also to provide help when needed.

Take a chill pill, friend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Bajee11: Dude, this is my thread so I expect the rules to be followed. I have over 20 threads to maintain and I don't want to come back here for every single post when it's not development related. You guys have no clue how hard it is to track bugs when users don't follow any rules and specially when you got several devices to maintain. Not only do you not know what a development thread is, you even take on me for pointing out this not the right place for bricked phone discussion? This is why XDA has different sections for these kind of things and users like you should learn that. Anyways, closing thread.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Somebody goes and decides to challenge him instead of being respectful and taking NON ROM DEVELOPMENT talk somewhere else, it could've easily been dealt with in PM's, or searching the forum, or help me god making yet another thread about it.

This user that had an issue could've solved his problem by simply looking at this sticky thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2079399

Why is this a problem?
    Well quite frankly the people that were using the Rootbox rom now have to sit, wait and wonder whether support will continue for D2VZW or if they should move on, just because some people couldn't read the OP and follow the simple requests, and had to feel the need to then challenge the OP instead of just respecting him.

Oh but that only applies to one rom my rom is fine
    Have you ever tried to figure what bugs are in a rom only to be forced to read a million posts that aren't related to that rom at all but instead somebody doing something stupid resulting in user error not rom error? I know i have, its so frustrating to have to skim through 20 pages when in reality if people could keep things where they belong we wouldn't have that issue. Once you flash something that's not stock on the rom, ANY BUGS that occur are not the roms fault, because their is no way of knowing whether whatever you flashed caused it or not.

Flash a different kernel, then have x,y,z errors? Post in the KERNEL thread about it, i guarantee you'll get more kernel support their than in the Rom thread. You could make a simple post in the Rom thread and say "hey guys i flashed X kernel and now Y isn't working, just letting others know" Bam end of story, its simple, alerts other users and keeps thing clean.

Okay so that's one post but i see a million of them, okay well lets say User A posts that, then users B-Y post irrelevant nonsense then user Z posts the same thing as A, that's why you see it a bunch. Because B-Y or a combination had irrelevant information in their posts.

Solutions:
    Option 1: I realize this is hard but please people have some respect and self control and keep posts where they are relevant. Or maybe the mod's should just start warning/giving infractions to people that can't obey the rules and have some damn respect when a developer asks you to please take business somewhere else.

Option 2: Instead of cluttering up the development thread, go make some thread in Q/A even though that'll go against my second issue it'll be better than clogging up relevant rom information/development, that users want to see. I'm sorry but if you brick your phone flashing something that's not meant for your phone that your own damn fault for not reading what you're download and flashing.

Option 3: If you can't read the OP then you shouldn't be rooting your phone. Honestly folks its not hard to read the OP, its their for a reason, not for you to skip down to the downloads link, flash the rom, and then say "X and Y are missing" when in the OP it clearly states they aren't there. And what do you know that's one more useless post.

Time for me to take a breath...

Issue #2: Not using the search function

I realize this may be hard for people to understand but its their for a reason, not to just look pretty. Its sole purpose is to try and keep things clean and help users to find helpful information. How many of you use google search everyday? i know i do, probably over 100 times a day and its very helpful, so i KNOW that you other users have used a search engine before, so why not use the one on XDA? Its not rocket science and its got plenty of options to help you narrow stuff down.

Hell even before you post a thread, it'll automatically search for relevant threads related to your title.

Notice: When you enter a thread title the system will search for similar threads which have already been posted. That should help you to find answers.

Now tell me are you blind, or do you choose to ignore it? I'm guessing its the second one. Or maybe people are too lazy to just read the titles of threads, i guarantee you whatever issue you are having somebody else has had and already got an answer for it. Obviously we can't force people to use it, but please people, google is your friend, the search bar is your friend.

Solutions:
    Option 1: Up the post requirement for development sections, i know i know this probably will be hated but its clear that it's needed. People still can't seem to just get it right anymore. Maybe if they have to spend a little more time actually using the forum they'll actually start to realize all these helpful things around them.

Option 2: Can we just start banning people? haha i kid i kid. But seriously, can we give Rom developers the right to edit posts in their respective threads, so if they deem something as pointless, then bam deleted :)

At this point i'm out of breath and tired from staring at the screen.

But i'll leave with this 99% of errors are user errors not rom errors. Yes that's right i'm blaming the users, because hey its your fault for messing something up. I flash rom's everyday and yet i don't have these crazy errors that others have, but hey i'm flashing stuff that's meant for my phone ;) People really need to stop being dumb and start reading the OP it contains so much information, i swear some of you will flashing anything even if in the OP it states "THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR PHONE" and guess what, you'll flash it anyways because you're too lazy to take ONE minute to read it. You could read while making your nandroid backup, oh hey that's a great idea :) And when you have an issue, just use the search function.

I understand we were all noobs at once, but still... like i said, most issues are user error.

TLTR:
    -Please read OP's
    -Please use the search bar
    -Please post issues in their respective threads
    -Please don't post irrelevant nonsense in development threads, that's not the place for it.
    -Please if you flash anything not stock with the rom, don't blame the rom.
    -Please post rom issues in rom threads, and kernel issues in kernel threads.
    -Please if you do something stupid, keep it out of the rom/kernel thread.
    -Please read stickies, they contain more information than your heart desires and will help you in the long run.
    -Please try and understand where i am coming from :)

Oh and again, i don't care if i offended some of you.

-NeverEndingXsin
    Well the issue didn't stop there. Here's the email the concerned user sent me after I closed the thread. For ethical reasons, I wont post his name.

This is totally uunacceptable behavior from a so called dev. You need to learn how to speek and have some respect. If you can't deal with someone making a mistake with YOUR OWN ROM, then not only should you NOT be a dev but, you don't belong here at ALL! Myself and along with everyone involed in your disrespectfullness have request you be BlackListed.
    Good Bye and go back to were EVER IT is you came from. We don't want you here! And take you Nexus style rom with you.

PS:Mr Development. ... This is SGS3 Developement thread, not Nexus. If we wanted a phone to look like that we would have bought one. Not rom it to look like one.
    So take your **** rom and go.

It's reasonable to assume that this user has no clue what development is. :good:
    *starts slow clap*

Sent from FBI Headquarters
    With all due respect, at the end of the day it's the internet. All you can do is report. If developers aren't staying around because a few bad apples that's their choice, oh well life is full of disappointments. If it were me, Being on a public forum I'd expect such none sense from people. Why take it to heart? People need to grow thicker skins. Some developers remind me of a teenage daddy's girl not getting their way. It's frustrating as well. No I'm not talking about the event that happened in OP, I didn't see the indecent. I mean in general for as long as I been here I've seen some dramatic dismissals. I mean no disrespect, I appreciate the hard voluntary work each puts in and I never had a problem with the way they run things. Seems logical your thread your rules. When someone neglects the rules report them. Whining doesn't seem to get us anywhere. We are a community and should work together as such by reporting and correcting peoples ways. We have moderators to correct such errors, but we can help. To be honest, I feel threads like this escalate the problem by having on more threads hiding the actual threads people are looking for. Such concerns could easily been sent to a moderator for negotiations. If the people who are fault don't search, read the post, etc..., then they aren't going to read this thread or be concerned about changing their ways. Sorry if I hurt feelings, Came off as being rude, be insensitive, cold hearted, or whatever you want to call it. I'll admit I been guilty of not always using the search, but I usually look on the first couple of pages for answers to my questions. As long as people try we'll be alright.

I hope that developer continues to develop for our phone as that thread alone looked amazing. Sucks a few bad apples ruined it, but maybe he'll come back realizing the positive impact he could have on our community. Him and other developers should know we do respect and appreciate their work.

A lot of devs ARE teenagers! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I'm sorry, had to say that!

Sent from my slightly modded........... phone.

Nah. I ain't no kid. Just tired of these noobs. What's the point of offering them a thread if I can't track bugs on it. Builds will continue without a thread, that's all.