Android as smooth as iPhone?

Can the Android interface/browser scrolling/zooming be improved (iPhone-like)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

scott.deagan

Nov 10, 2010
Sticking to the discussion, the simple answer is iOS is smoother because it uses the GPU to render the UI. Android, on the other hand, mostly uses the CPU. IMHO Android will soon lose a large percentage of their customers as more people become aware of this issue. Consumers don't care about the cause, they just want something that delivers a UI user experience on par with the market leader (there's a good reason why they're the market leader). The fact that Google have managed to con millions into buying in to the Android hype falls nothing short of astonishing. The Nexus S campaign in a perfect example: rarely (if ever) show the handsets scrolling a web page or menus.

Android is a great platform, but the benefits of Android are negated by the sluggish choppy UI that completely destroys the user experience. Do a Google search for "Android Issue 6914" and you'll get the idea.

Here's a simple test: go to the Engadget desktop (classic) page and scroll/zoom around. Make sure flash add-on is disabled.

The best improvement in this area I have personally seen to date is Android 2.2.1 running on a Galaxy S. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I admire Samsung for listening to consumers and at least making an effort (not easy considering this issue is the result of an Android architectural design flaw).

It looks like Google have addressed this issue with Honeycomb, but it also looks like Honeycomb is exclusively for tablets. Hopefully this fix will trickle down into Android handsets. I've been eagerly awaiting a fix each and every update, but each time am left feeling disappointed. Until Google addresses this issue, they've lost a customer here.

Last edited:

fiscidtox

Dec 2, 2010
Why does everyone feel the need to compare android and Iphone?

If you want a device and don't care about it being the epitome of conformity, then get an iPhone.. i personally think an overclocked hero with a custom rom is just as smooth, and a much better experience.. I'm so sick of this discussion.

pikacz

Jun 12, 2009
i wonder why nobody mentioned wp7 in this thread yet ;) it's just as smooth as iOS and comes with a new wonderfully refreshing ui

pikacz

Jun 12, 2009
wow! it's been a year since my post, and through all that time i had my mozart and i still love everything about it. you have your opinion and i have mine, nothing wrong with that

Habarug

Feb 23, 2011
Bergen
wow! it's been a year since my post, and through all that time i had my mozart and i still love everything about it. you have your opinion and i have mine, nothing wrong with that

Wp7 seems really nice, but I'm a flashmaniac so It's too locked for me ;-)

Sent from my Hero using XDA App

yossi2010

Feb 6, 2012
netanya
Yes it can be smooth as iphone if not smoother!

I'm watching some videos on youtube...You know, usuals "dogfights" between Hero, iPhone, Milestone/Droid etc. and I'm really starting to get nervous...WHY iPhone HAS A SO SMOOTHER SCROLLING THAN ANY OTHER ANDROID PHONE ON THE MARKET??...While on the iPhone you get a smooth zooming and scrolling both if the page is in overview or with an initial zoom.

...I haven't seen Froyo yet but I don't think they properly solved the problem...Any idea?

did you ever zoom an iphone and noticed what happens? its blurry and than reloaded... like you are scrolling/zooming a photo...(btw if you zoom in and than out in a heavy page like desktop youtube or something the iphone 4g will get stuck and wont respond for about 5 secs! wont happen on android!) oh and ios DOESN'T MULTITASK! (that tray is just a fast app switcher the apps are frozen...)

in android u are actually viewing/zooming the internet in its vectoric form(like the pc) hence the jerkyness(boat browser is the fastest in that style)...
well what if you used that iphone trick on android? well u can!
opera mini(next) is doing just that! and what you get is an android device scrolling zooming panning and reloading the image faster and prettier than iphone with smooth silky transition animations and multi tabbing!
was tried on defy and its smooth even on 300-600 mhz ics!
(i have an ipod 4g hence i know what is going on there)

NOTE: OPERA MOBILE IS HEAVY AND VECTORIC! ONLY THE MINI USES THIS GENIUS RENDERING ENGINE!(btw the sgs2 does that too)
oh and opera mini has no flash support.... just like the iphone(i think they should merge opera mobile with mini's rendering engine)

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Sticking to the discussion, the simple answer is iOS is smoother because it uses the GPU to render the UI. Android, on the other hand, mostly uses the CPU. IMHO Android will soon lose a large percentage of their customers as more people become aware of this issue. Consumers don't care about the cause, they just want something that delivers a UI user experience on par with the market leader (there's a good reason why they're the market leader). The fact that Google have managed to con millions into buying in to the Android hype falls nothing short of astonishing. The Nexus S campaign in a perfect example: rarely (if ever) show the handsets scrolling a web page or menus.

Android is a great platform, but the benefits of Android are negated by the sluggish choppy UI that completely destroys the user experience. Do a Google search for "Android Issue 6914" and you'll get the idea.

Here's a simple test: go to the Engadget desktop (classic) page and scroll/zoom around. Make sure flash add-on is disabled.

The best improvement in this area I have personally seen to date is Android 2.2.1 running on a Galaxy S. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I admire Samsung for listening to consumers and at least making an effort (not easy considering this issue is the result of an Android architectural design flaw).

It looks like Google have addressed this issue with Honeycomb, but it also looks like Honeycomb is exclusively for tablets. Hopefully this fix will trickle down into Android handsets. I've been eagerly awaiting a fix each and every update, but each time am left feeling disappointed. Until Google addresses this issue, they've lost a customer here.

dude have you ever tried changing the launcher and the browser?

opera mini is waaaay smoother and fast scroller than iphone!(one flick to end a page! and its 60 fps! no matter the page!)
iphone will freeze for about 5 secs if you zoom in release and than out in heavy websites!
try full engadget on iphone and then on android opera mini...
see for yourself! android pwns ios here!
do the zoom test... ios will get stuck(for abot 3 secs each zoom) android will keep rerendering smoothly no probs!

TRY LAUNCHER PRO or 7launcher for smooth ui...
menus? you are screwed... its app dependent not android... if u notice tryand open up the hide apps menu in launcher pro(preferences>general>hide apps)
its the smoothest thing you will ever see!
than open up some other jurky menus that have no reason for lag... not android problem! devs problem!

Last edited:

YaPaY

Jun 25, 2010
Zurich
I'm a big Android fan but I think we have to admit it, android phones scrolling not enough smooth like Iphone's.

tommrazek01

Oct 29, 2011
Talking from the future on chrome for android; Yes, with project butter and many other tweaks, we are as close to ultimate smoothness as me can get, although we will never get there, simply because of the way android is bulit. But what it is now is so smooth I can't imagine much smoother.

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
Still reverent today like a member of xda had said but with the A15 quad core, small jerks and stutters across the UI is still evident (store demo s4 and one) unlike my very own iPad with an A5, however with project butter and the a15s it doesn't really other me.