[App] Autorun Manager - gives you control over your startup apps

Search This thread

ratson

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 11
After the success off AutoKiller I decided to write an app which lets you kill startup apps right after they are started, so it shortens system load times and gives you the possibility to decide what you want to run on your system.

with 2.0 release it brings an advanced tab, it gives you control over intent receivers directly, so you can completely disable automatically running parts of applications

a few words from my home page
Autorun Manager (formerly Autorun Killer) lets you decide what apps you want to let automatically start up. It sports two modes:

Basic mode lets you decide which startup apps should be killed right after they start during system boot process.
Applications are usually autostarting because of a reason, so only disable one if you know exactly what it is doing and you definitely don't need it.

Advanced mode lists all your applications which are registered for system wide events (aka. intents like an incoming call, low battery or boot finished) and gives you the control to enable or disable these -so called- receivers.
Using this mode recommends above average knowledge about how your device works. Please be very careful.

if you need more information please check my home page.

ark1.png

ark2.png

Last edited:

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow, wasn't expecting any surprises, but after loading your program, I found that there were quite a few programs that I didn't know loaded at startup.

Startup speed did seem a tad quicker. Thanks so much!

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
Why this post is not in android app ?? (but nexus ....)

Anyway is there a list of services safe to shut ?

JayQ8

Feb 18, 2010
Doesn't work on N1 .. installed it 3 days ago, apps still run with startup and restart alone even when "prevent restart" option is checked.

Donated anyway, seems like a promising app.

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
When people complain my apps are broken, I'm forwarding the support emails to you.

^This.

So if I read the first post correctly, this kills apps right AFTER they started?

This speeds up startup time how?

If X, Y, and Z all startup when i turn my phone on, and I use this app to tell my phone that X and Y are fine, but kill Z after it starts, then when I start my phone X, Y, And Z still start, but then Z gets killed immediately? I don't understand how this could possibly help performance in any way?

Task killers (but not automatic ones) have their purposes when used responsibly, however I really don't think you are getting ANY performance gain.

Just my 2 cents, don't mean it as an attack on your application or anything :)

turkeylord

Apr 4, 2010
carlisle
^This.

So if I read the first post correctly, this kills apps right AFTER they started?

This speeds up startup time how?

If X, Y, and Z all startup when i turn my phone on, and I use this app to tell my phone that X and Y are fine, but kill Z after it starts, then when I start my phone X, Y, And Z still start, but then Z gets killed immediately? I don't understand how this could possibly help performance in any way?

Task killers (but not automatic ones) have their purposes when used responsibly, however I really don't think you are getting ANY performance gain.

Just my 2 cents, don't mean it as an attack on your application or anything :)

yea, i was thinking that already. how does it increase performance if the app has already started up and is already slowing the system, and then you use more cpu to kill it. then another app starts up. same thing.

TMReuffurth

Aug 3, 2009
Aljezur
Nice app, didn´t know that some of my installed apps start on boot (even don´t know why they want so). After disabling some of the apps the phone runs faster overall.
Thanks for the sharing!

ratson

Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 11
ok how do i get autorun killer ?

download from market...

Why this post is not in android app ?? (but nexus ....)

Anyway is there a list of services safe to shut ?

there is no such list system apps are not shown by default

Doesn't work on N1 .. installed it 3 days ago, apps still run with startup and restart alone even when "prevent restart" option is checked.

Donated anyway, seems like a promising app.

please read help, there are techniques how an app developer can make his app start in very often cases, so it will be started whatever you do.

When people complain my apps are broken, I'm forwarding the support emails to you.

this is a free world, everyone should use my app on its own responsibility, and only if they know the possible consequences.

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
this is a free world, everyone should use my app on its own responsibility, and only if they know the possible consequences.

Unfortunately, they don't/won't. For starters, no where (at least in this thread, haven't looked at the app itself) does it state anything like "there are probably apps that you feel like don't need to run at startup, however they do if you want a problem free experience with that app" or anything like that.

If you don't communicate the possible consequences to people, not sure how you expect them to know this? Sure, not everyone is going to read it even if it was in 72 pt red font on the first page, but there isn't even a warning for those that would read it and take it into consideration.

I'm not saying this app shouldn't exist (goes against the whole free/open/do what I want with MY phone), I'm just saying you might want to post some kind of warning that some apps, whether you like it or not, are depending on running (then automatically killing themselves when done, or whatever) on startup and that this may interfere with that.

ratson

Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 11
I agree and I will add a warning. thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, they don't/won't. For starters, no where (at least in this thread, haven't looked at the app itself) does it state anything like "there are probably apps that you feel like don't need to run at startup, however they do if you want a problem free experience with that app" or anything like that.

If you don't communicate the possible consequences to people, not sure how you expect them to know this? Sure, not everyone is going to read it even if it was in 72 pt red font on the first page, but there isn't even a warning for those that would read it and take it into consideration.

I'm not saying this app shouldn't exist (goes against the whole free/open/do what I want with MY phone), I'm just saying you might want to post some kind of warning that some apps, whether you like it or not, are depending on running (then automatically killing themselves when done, or whatever) on startup and that this may interfere with that.

Snowtoad23

Jul 17, 2010
Is it possible to stop the apps starting in the first place as opposed to killing them after they start?

kopimi

Sep 21, 2010
Great application ratson, but apparently its useless to me, seeing as I only have 6 startup applications:

Swype
ATT Hotspots
AK Notepad
DRM Protected Yadda Yadda
Task Manager
Transdroid

Still though, at least now I can salvage whatever cycles were being chewd up by Trandroid, Hotspots and Notepad. Definitely a keeper! In conjunction with your AutoKiller, my Aria is running better than stock, which overcompensates for the performance loss from my Live Wallpapers.

Thanks a ton :)

ratson

Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 11
this application lists all the apps which listen to the on boot broadcast event. if the app uses a different technique to start itself it is not listed.

Great application ratson, but apparently its useless to me, seeing as I only have 6 startup applications:

Swype
ATT Hotspots
AK Notepad
DRM Protected Yadda Yadda
Task Manager
Transdroid

Still though, at least now I can salvage whatever cycles were being chewd up by Trandroid, Hotspots and Notepad. Definitely a keeper! In conjunction with your AutoKiller, my Aria is running better than stock, which overcompensates for the performance loss from my Live Wallpapers.

Thanks a ton :)

karl999999

Oct 25, 2010
stopping an autorun program in the first place

stopping an autorun program from startup in the first place

yes, it is. but only on rooted devices, and it is VERY dangerous. I don't plan to offer that feature in my app.

ok. can you share this info. or share where i can read about it please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After the success off AutoKiller I decided to write an app which lets you kill startup apps right after they are started, so it shortens system load times and gives you the possibility to decide what you want to run on your system.

with 2.0 release it brings an advanced tab, it gives you control over intent receivers directly, so you can completely disable automatically running parts of applications

a few words from my home page
    Autorun Manager (formerly Autorun Killer) lets you decide what apps you want to let automatically start up. It sports two modes:

Basic mode lets you decide which startup apps should be killed right after they start during system boot process.
    Applications are usually autostarting because of a reason, so only disable one if you know exactly what it is doing and you definitely don't need it.

Advanced mode lists all your applications which are registered for system wide events (aka. intents like an incoming call, low battery or boot finished) and gives you the control to enable or disable these -so called- receivers.
    Using this mode recommends above average knowledge about how your device works. Please be very careful.

if you need more information please check my home page.

ark1.png

ark2.png
    How come I had already some apps disabled when I started this app for the first time?
    Not all the receivers are enabled by default, this is normal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    um, sorry to horn in on your thread with what might be a silly question...
    first, the app is quite cool. second, money is kind of tight in this lousy US recession, so I'm unable to donate, even though your apps definitely seem worthy.
    that aside...
    is there any way to perform the same function as this, disabling start-on-intent for system services, from a shell directly? all my searches seem to lead to apps like this (which I'm trying out now) or your Autokiller memory manager, which I do already use to manually kick out unwanted apps or services after they start up.
    just curious, hopefully the question isn't annoying.
    thanks for the good work!

you can with command pm
    # pm
    pm
    usage: pm [list|path|install|uninstall]
    pm list packages [-f] [-d] [-e] [-u] [FILTER]
    pm list permission-groups
    pm list permissions [-g] [-f] [-d] [-u] [GROUP]
    pm list instrumentation [-f] [TARGET-PACKAGE]
    pm list features
    pm list libraries
    pm path PACKAGE
    pm install [-l] [-r] [-t] [-i INSTALLER_PACKAGE_NAME] [-s] [-f] PATH
    pm uninstall [-k] PACKAGE
    pm clear PACKAGE
    pm enable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
    pm disable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
    pm setInstallLocation [0/auto] [1/internal] [2/external]

The list packages command prints all packages, optionally only
    those whose package name contains the text in FILTER. Options:
    -f: see their associated file.
    -d: filter to include disbled packages.
    -e: filter to include enabled packages.
    -u: also include uninstalled packages.

The list permission-groups command prints all known
    permission groups.

The list permissions command prints all known
    permissions, optionally only those in GROUP. Options:
    -g: organize by group.
    -f: print all information.
    -s: short summary.
    -d: only list dangerous permissions.
    -u: list only the permissions users will see.

The list instrumentation command prints all instrumentations,
    or only those that target a specified package. Options:
    -f: see their associated file.

The list features command prints all features of the system.

The path command prints the path to the .apk of a package.

The install command installs a package to the system. Options:
    -l: install the package with FORWARD_LOCK.
    -r: reinstall an exisiting app, keeping its data.
    -t: allow test .apks to be installed.
    -i: specify the installer package name.
    -s: install package on sdcard.
    -f: install package on internal flash.

The uninstall command removes a package from the system. Options:
    -k: keep the data and cache directories around.
    after the package removal.

The clear command deletes all data associated with a package.

The enable and disable commands change the enabled state of
    a given package or component (written as "package/class").

The getInstallLocation command gets the current install location
    0 [auto]: Let system decide the best location
    1 [internal]: Install on internal device storage
    2 [external]: Install on external media

The setInstallLocation command changes the default install location
    0 [auto]: Let system decide the best location
    1 [internal]: Install on internal device storage
    2 [external]: Install on external media

you need

pm enable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
    pm disable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT

here
    I'd say if it's not caused by one of the issues listed at the troubleshooting link, send the dev a logcat output. You could also post it here and I'll try and take a look but definitely send it the dev since he knows what the app is trying to do. Otherwise, it's hard to say what could be causing the intents to not display. You might also want to ask in the X10 device forum to see if others have had a similar issue.
    Hey ratson, i have a question, does Autorun Manager app needs to be running in the background to have disabled all receivers i've tweaked, or after disabling receivers i can shutdown the app and they remaing disabled???

thnx in advance

if you have a rooted device than it doesn't need to run. if your device is not rooted than you must be using basic mode and so the application should run in background as a service.