[Q] What's with kernels?

Search This thread

Reinstalled

Apr 20, 2014
If I was to install, say, the Liquid Smooth ROM onto my i717 (I have a good amount of experience with flashing ROMs, so that much I know,) specifically, the KitKat version, it lists kernels in the download links. Would these kernels be included with the ROM files themselves, i.e. install at the same time as the ROM, or would I have to flash the kernel separately before flashing the ROM? Thank you VERY much in advance :D

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
If I was to install, say, the Liquid Smooth ROM onto my i717 (I have a good amount of experience with flashing ROMs, so that much I know,) specifically, the KitKat version, it lists kernels in the download links. Would these kernels be included with the ROM files themselves, i.e. install at the same time as the ROM, or would I have to flash the kernel separately before flashing the ROM? Thank you VERY much in advance :D

The thread should tell you if the kernel is baked into the Rom our not but the stock kernel usually comes with it. I'm pretty sure you're talking about a beefed up kernel tho. You'll just have to read the thread and if you're still not clear about it, ask in that thread to be sure.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky

there is always a kernel included with a rom. most alternate kernels are made and or flashed to combat a side effect or incompatibility with some folks devices. its not that provided kernel doesn't work, just that every device is different and the alternates can sometimes be more compatible.

however, I would suggest you give the original kernel a chance to settle, at least a day if not two. if it just flat out is not working for you, then flash an alternate onto the rom. wipe you caches ( not factory) flash kernel by itself and your good

never want to discount reading here as Gimmeitorilltell suggests. reading educates you and puts you in a better position to help yourself first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aimless Rambler

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA

In general stick with the kernel that comes with a ROM unless you have a reason to change, like stability, overclocking, etc... but you do flash the kernel after the ROM; anytime after the ROM flash really. You don't need a clean flash before kernel switch.
The dev probably did not test his/her ROM with every kernel possible so if you want support your best bet is to be on the kernel included. For the 1st install of a ROM if you are unsure you should definitely use included kernel; as sometimes you just can't predict what changing it will do.

That said there many of us do switch kernels when installing updates, I certainly do. There are not alot of kernels for our phones as only a dedicated few devs continue to support the Note but you have a few choices. All kernels I've seen allow performance/governor control to some degree. If you read through the various ROM threads you'll find that some kernels are preferred by users but for the most part kernels like Uber work well with most ROMs.

P0llution's ROM patch allows you to switch kernels after flashing a ROM (BeanStalk, LiquidSmooth, etc....) and even before 1st boot. It also has patches for various KK problems. It is in the Beanstalk thread 1st post.

Reactions: Aimless Rambler

Reinstalled

Apr 20, 2014
Thank you so much for your replies! Installed LS and flashed Uber kernel and running with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The thread should tell you if the kernel is baked into the Rom our not but the stock kernel usually comes with it. I'm pretty sure you're talking about a beefed up kernel tho. You'll just have to read the thread and if you're still not clear about it, ask in that thread to be sure.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

there is always a kernel included with a rom. most alternate kernels are made and or flashed to combat a side effect or incompatibility with some folks devices. its not that provided kernel doesn't work, just that every device is different and the alternates can sometimes be more compatible.

however, I would suggest you give the original kernel a chance to settle, at least a day if not two. if it just flat out is not working for you, then flash an alternate onto the rom. wipe you caches ( not factory) flash kernel by itself and your good

never want to discount reading here as Gimmeitorilltell suggests. reading educates you and puts you in a better position to help yourself first.

In general stick with the kernel that comes with a ROM unless you have a reason to change, like stability, overclocking, etc... but you do flash the kernel after the ROM; anytime after the ROM flash really. You don't need a clean flash before kernel switch.
    The dev probably did not test his/her ROM with every kernel possible so if you want support your best bet is to be on the kernel included. For the 1st install of a ROM if you are unsure you should definitely use included kernel; as sometimes you just can't predict what changing it will do.

That said there many of us do switch kernels when installing updates, I certainly do. There are not alot of kernels for our phones as only a dedicated few devs continue to support the Note but you have a few choices. All kernels I've seen allow performance/governor control to some degree. If you read through the various ROM threads you'll find that some kernels are preferred by users but for the most part kernels like Uber work well with most ROMs.

P0llution's ROM patch allows you to switch kernels after flashing a ROM (BeanStalk, LiquidSmooth, etc....) and even before 1st boot. It also has patches for various KK problems. It is in the Beanstalk thread 1st post.