[Q&A] [GAPPS][2015-06-01] Open GApps for Android 5.1, 5.0, 4.4

Search This thread

MastahF

Inactive Recognized Developer
please add pico (uni) to list.
I will consider it, but currently the focus is on the multi-architecture builds.

Is the Aroma version totally compatible with an existing non-Aroma installation?

Also can the Aroma version uninstall specific GApp, like just act like an selectable uninstaller of sorts?
I mean to modify an existing installation.

Yes, they are completely compatible with one another, because the AROMA is just a nice graphic interface of the regulare Open GApps stock package.

austinpinto

Nov 5, 2014
mumbai
hi all.
i am new to android dev.
i created the gaps config in this config i dont want some google apps to be installed.
i also want the installer to replace stock apps in cm12.1 rom.
this is what my config file looks like.
can some1 suggest corrections?.
can some1 also tell me how can i remove apks from the gapps zip and how can i add new apk files like for example i dont want crome to be installed but want crome beta to be installed.
this are the contents of the .gapps-config file as i cannot upload .gapps-config files.

CameraGoogle CloudPrint* Docs* Drive* Earth* ExchangeGoogle* Fitness* GooglePlus* Hangouts* Keep* Movies* NewsStand* NewsWidget* Photos* Slides* Wallet* Browser* CalendarStock* CameraStock* CMFileManager* Email* ExchangeStock* FMRadio* KeyboardStock* MMS* PicoTTS* SimToolKit*

austinpinto

Nov 5, 2014
mumbai
hi all i have moto g 2014 xt1068.
i did a clean flash of cm 12.1 nightly rom.
when i flash the open gapps 18june build i get an error command not found.
now i had included the .gappsconfig file but i dont know if it was made properly.
can some1 please create 1 file for me?
i want to do the following.
1. the following apps should not be installed.
CameraGoogle CloudPrint* Docs* Drive* Earth* ExchangeGoogle* Fitness* GooglePlus* Hangouts* Keep* Movies* NewsStand* NewsWidget* Photos* Slides* Wallet.
2. i want the gapps installer to replace the following stock apps.
Browser* CalendarStock* CameraStock* CMFileManager* Email* ExchangeStock* FMRadio* KeyboardStock* MMS* PicoTTS* SimToolKit.

my created config file looks like this.

CameraGoogle CloudPrint* Docs* Drive* Earth* ExchangeGoogle* Fitness* GooglePlus* Hangouts* Keep* Movies* NewsStand* NewsWidget* Photos* Slides* Wallet* Browser* CalendarStock* CameraStock* CMFileManager* Email* ExchangeStock* FMRadio* KeyboardStock* MMS* PicoTTS* SimToolKit*

is this ok?.

i also want to ask how often should we flash the latest gapps build?

lets say i dont want crome to install but i want crome beta to install can i just drop the apk of crome beta in the zip?

djalfy

Dec 13, 2014
No, GoogleClock will be compatible with all ROMs. But because only 1 application can claim a certain permission, the GoogleClock can *only* function if there are zero traces of the AOSP Clock. That is why one needs to start with a clean /data partition if one wants to start using the Google Clock, because it is almost impossible not to have any traces of the app left if one has ever travelled to another timezone, or has used the alarm function. This also explains why many people face the "-505" error when downloading the Google Clock from the Play Store.

I am using cm 12.1 for samsung galaxy s2+ i9105p by andyxml. I clean flashed today the aroma open gapps and checked the aosp clock app for removal in the aroma installer but it didn't get removed and i cannot install the g clock from the play store. Do you have any suggestion on how to remove the aosp clock successfuly?

MastahF

I am using cm 12.1 for samsung galaxy s2+ i9105p by andyxml. I clean flashed today the aroma open gapps and checked the aosp clock app for removal in the aroma installer but it didn't get removed and i cannot install the g clock from the play store. Do you have any suggestion on how to remove the aosp clock successfuly?

In the installer you used there was no Clock App removal yet. Only a LockClock removal (to remove the widget that puts a clock on the lockscreen). Maybe @raulx222 can check whether the description is not confusing for this removal keyword?
If you would check the download of TODAY (Sat Jun 20) you will find a proper Stock Clock Removal (clockstock) and adding Google Clock (clockgoogle). But notice that you have to wipe your data partition to be able to install the Google Clock

Reactions: djalfy

chewdaniel

Feb 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
not sure if this is a problem.... but i flashed my new updated ROM nightly and the Jun21 build of Gapps. As always i will wipe /system first... did my normal routine, only to find out that none of the gapps got installed, and now i need to wipe /data since keyboard/clock/camera were all removed but the google versions were not installed :(

and i also did the mistake of NoDebugLog since i wasn't expecting this to happen... tks

Last edited:

MastahF

Which all apps do the packages have??

See https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison

hi all i have moto g 2014 xt1068.
i did a clean flash of cm 12.1 nightly rom.
when i flash the open gapps 18june build i get an error command not found.
now i had included the .gappsconfig file but i dont know if it was made properly.
can some1 please create 1 file for me?
i want to do the following.
1. the following apps should not be installed.
CameraGoogle CloudPrint* Docs* Drive* Earth* ExchangeGoogle* Fitness* GooglePlus* Hangouts* Keep* Movies* NewsStand* NewsWidget* Photos* Slides* Wallet.
2. i want the gapps installer to replace the following stock apps.
Browser* CalendarStock* CameraStock* CMFileManager* Email* ExchangeStock* FMRadio* KeyboardStock* MMS* PicoTTS* SimToolKit.

my created config file looks like this.

is this ok?.

i also want to ask how often should we flash the latest gapps build?

lets say i dont want crome to install but i want crome beta to install can i just drop the apk of crome beta in the zip?

Just put those keyword on every new line and you should be fine. And no, you cannot drop in any replacement APKs, because their libraries are extracted and the zips are re-aligned. If you drop in another APK, it will very likely not work (large chance to be broken) and with 100% certainty it will work slower than it should.

not sure if this is a problem.... but i flashed my new updated ROM nightly and the Jun21 build of Gapps. As always i will wipe /system first... did my normal routine, only to find out that none of the gapps got installed, and now i need to wipe /data since keyboard/clock/camera were all removed but the google versions were not installed :(

and i also did the mistake of NoDebugLog since i wasn't expecting this to happen... tks

You might have been hit by a small-chance bug in that build, I am not sure, do current daily versions work for you?

DJAJSlye

Jan 5, 2015
PA Gaps too big

What happened that is making the stock image 855mb on 7/02/2015 and 875mb on 7/03/2015?
The stock image was only 552mb on 7/01/2015.

Last edited:

MastahF

What happened that is making the stock image 855mb on 7/02/2015 and 875mb on 7/03/2015?
The stock image was only 552mb on 7/01/2015.

Starting from the 2nd of July build a lot of packages are available in multiple device specific versions. The download size grew a lot, but installing the correct version of the apps will take up less space in /system and put less stress on lower-end devices, that before were forced to downscale high-res resources.
But are working now on some extra compression within the zip file itself (because ZIP itself is not so good in finding 'duplicate' information between the files). That is still work in progress, but it will reduce the downloadsize again below <500MiB when it is finished.

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
i am having trouble downloading 5.1 aroma, everytime i try to download it gets to like 180mb and then failed network errors, it had done this on my phone through LTE, Wifi, Home internet, and Work Internet so its not my networks, can someone please help me with this or download a 5.1 aroma for me and i can download it from u, thank you

Reactions: quack75

sliphacker

Sep 1, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 8
Later releases have LZMA compression

The later releases are about 50% smaller, the packages have ".xz" extension (LZMA) compression, but reboots TWRP...

problems installing from 09/07/2015

i tried a lot of times to install OpenGapps with aroma and the latest two zips doesnt work, i have twrp 2.8.0.0. The Installer open, i select my apps but when change to the install screen, twrp restarts, i think that this start to happen when you chenge the apps to tar.zip.

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park
i tried a lot of times to install OpenGapps with aroma and the latest two zips doesnt work, i have twrp 2.8.0.0. The Installer open, i select my apps but when change to the install screen, twrp restarts, i think that this start to happen when you chenge the apps to tar.zip.
It's a known issue covered in the main threads.
They're working on finding the cause.
It's said that the 7/05 build works, though.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GerardoHD

Bracket-

Jul 8, 2015
I can report that keyboard now works on clean install and that GApps persist after updating ROM, however keyboard breaks again after updating ROM.

Open GApps: open_gapps-arm-5.1-mini-20150712

MastahF

I can report that keyboard now works on clean install and that GApps persist after updating ROM, however keyboard breaks again after updating ROM.

Open GApps: open_gapps-arm-5.1-mini-20150712

Ok, that is very useful feedback. It would mean that the restore-scripts for the keyboard libs are broken. I will look into that! :)

UPDATE: could you maybe send me the contents of your /system/addon.d/70-gapps.sh ?

Last edited:

Bracket-

Jul 8, 2015
Ok, that is very useful feedback. It would mean that the restore-scripts for the keyboard libs are broken. I will look into that! :)

UPDATE: could you maybe send me the contents of your /system/addon.d/70-gapps.sh ?

Sadly I already re-flashed my GApps (same GApps package), so I'm not sure if it will still be helpful: gist.github /anonymous/a6fe448e1b8358e3aa4b
I'm unable to post proper links or attachments since I have under 10 post count. It's worth noting that I built GApps without googleplus since mini was 177KB over my /system partition.

I'll flash the next CM12.1 nightly when it comes out to confirm AOSP keyboard breaks again. I'm guessing 70-gapps.sh is never modified after initial GApps installation, so I shouldn't need to re-post 70-gapps.sh?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    20151219.zip:
    Code:
    Installation error in /sideload/package.zip
    (Status 255)
    Installation aborted.

So with that package actually the verification was OK again. But CM recovery has replaced their busybox with a still half-broken 'Toybox' that doesn't like our /usr/bin/ash line and demands /usr/bin/sh
    It is updated in the source and I have forced that a new ARM build will be created coming night, that should resolve this issue for you.
    I have just clean-installed the latest cm12.1 nightly (march 18th) for Moto-G (2015) on my device, followed by the latest 5.1 Aroma package.
    The installation went fine. No errors. After restarting my phone, I keep getting a notification of "com.google.process.gapps has stopped", and I can't really use my phone.
    I tried repeating the process, with and without wiping data/cache/dalvik/system, with and without reinstalling the ROM. Nothing seems to change.
    My log files are here and here.

I also see the following exception in my logcat:

Thank you for your help.
    Last night I added dex2oat experimental code that doesn't seem to work nice on all 5.x ROMs. I adjusted it to be 6.0+ only, so please try with tomorrow's build again, probably the problem will be gone. If you need to have it work now, you can use the this keyword: https://github.com/opengapps/openga...es-and-Options#skip-smart-pre-odexing-of-apks
    I use open_gapps-arm-6.0-pico and I have AOSP keyboard FC with gesture typing. This gapps don't have libjni_latinimegoogle.so.
    Are there plans to include a libjni_latinimegoogle.so in the gapps_pico?
    Yes this the plan, but we have to fix some lib-handling in the scripts per android version, which is not implemented yet.

Aroma 6.0 not working in cm 13 sultanxda rom. Pico works fine. Aroma freezes in "installing"
    Aroma GApps 5.1.1 is not working on my TWRP (osprey). Is this a problem specific to my phone or...?
    Aroma has known issues. We are dependent of the release of a new libaroma of the Aroma developer. We can't fix it ourselves unfortunately. Try to use the non-aroma packages instead.

Is there a reason why the Google Dialer has been removed from the Stock pacakge? I have a Nexus 6P and I'm not sure how to get it back.
    Google Dialer didn't work on most ROMs, we are still trying to figure out why with some other devs, but for now it is not in the package. If you wipe /system/, flash your ROM and then Open GApps you should be fine!

Okay, I know this most likely has been asked before. Is it possible to create a gapps package that installs all the gapps possible leaving necessary amount of space to /system partition for Android to operate and install the rest of the apps that didn't fit in the /system to /data partition?

Or is it possible to resize the /system partition of Nexus 5 to acommodate full stock gapps package? This is a bit iffier solution but eh.
    I just enjoy having a full gapps package that removes all the stock AOSP apps and CM apps that have their equivalent in gapps package. The picking and choosing what to install into /system and what not leaves me weird - now I have to go to play store and download the app and... Dunno.
    Nope, sorry this isn't easily possible. And we rather don't mess with the /data/ partition to prevent damaging any of the user's data. Try to pick a GApps version that matches the size of your system partition, and if you want to replace AOPS with CM apps you can use stock with a gapps-config file or aroma. Apps that don't fit on your system you can install via the Play Store on your data partition instead.

Please excuse me for this newbie question. Had downloaded the Aroma zip. I just want to install Google Backup Transport as I had installed all others through Gapps Installer.
    When I flash the zip through TWRP recovery, will there be options to choose ? I don't want to flash other google apks. I couldn't find the answer in the whole thread.
    No sorry, that isn't possible. You can't combine Open GApps with any other GApps. So make sure you don't have any GApps installed before flasing Open GApps.
    @MastahF @TKruzze @raulx222 @Rapper_skull @osm0sis
    Hi I use Android One device by google... In stock i was having FaceUnlock
    but after moving to CM i was not able to install it using ANY gapps packge

so i was looking for whats wrong
    And here is what i found

After skimming through update-binary and update-script of your and others' gapps packages i observed that it check for android.camera.harware.front.xml for front camera compatibility
    but some devices(like mine) have front camera compatibility mentioned in android.hardware.camera.xml

So even if there devices are compatible , they will be shown incompatible because of this checking method

Hope you improve it soon to fix this issue
    i'm attaching my phone's system/etc/permissions zip so that you can have a look at it
    Its from stock and they have mentioned front camera compatibility in android.hardware.camera.xml
    @MastahF @TKruzze @raulx222 @Rapper_skull @osm0sis
    Hi I use Android One device by google... In stock i was having FaceUnlock
    but after moving to CM i was not able to install it using ANY gapps packge

so i was looking for whats wrong
    And here is what i found

After skimming through update-binary and update-script of your and others' gapps packages i observed that it check for android.camera.harware.front.xml for front camera compatibility
    but some devices(like mine) have front camera compatibility mentioned in android.hardware.camera.xml

So even if there devices are compatible , they will be shown incompatible because of this checking method

Hope you improve it soon to fix this issue
    i'm attaching my phone's system/etc/permissions zip so that you can have a look at it
    Its from stock and they have mentioned front camera compatibility in android.hardware.camera.xml

Thank you for your input and research!

I fixed the code and am testing it now. If it works I will commit it and you'll be able to find it in tomorrow's nightly.