How to repartition your sd card to fat32 after rooting

Search This thread

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
if you're having trouble partitioning your sd card back to fat32 after you root using nooter, try the method here. what that guide tells you is to basically use this program to enable the Delete Partition menu option in Windows Disk Management, if it's grayed out.

i was going crazy trying to partition my sd card until i found this info. hope it helps.

Reactions: ModusPwnd

tokyomonster

Feb 20, 2009
Houston
Unless you need to make separate/multiple partitions, there's a much easier way to do this.

Follow the steps to root your nook. Once those are done, and the nook is all rooted and booted, take your SD card as is, put it back into the Nook, then go to:

(this is from memory so feel free to correct me)
Press the button to pull up the context menu with device settings
Then go to device info
Then click on SD card
Click on 'umount sdcard'
Then click 'format sdcard'

And voila! You're done. The SD card has to be put back into the Nook AFTER it's booted, otherwise it will try to boot off the SD card when you turn it on.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
Unless you need to make separate/multiple partitions, there's a much easier way to do this.

Follow the steps to root your nook. Once those are done, and the nook is all rooted and booted, take your SD card as is, put it back into the Nook, then go to:

Then go to device info
Then click on SD card
Click on 'umount sdcard'

And voila! You're done. The SD card has to be put back into the Nook AFTER it's booted, otherwise it will try to boot off the SD card when you turn it on.

yes, you can format it, but it's still going to have a 40mb partition, because that's what the card is left with after rooting. assuming your card was larger than 40mb, you'll want to repartition it to get the full capacity of the card back.

tokyomonster

Feb 20, 2009
Houston
yes, you can format it, but it's still going to have a 40mb partition, because that's what the card is left with after rooting. assuming your card was larger than 40mb, you'll want to repartition it to get the full capacity of the card back.

Are you sure? I'm not positive that's the case. I won't be able to verify until later this evening, but I'm pretty sure the SD card is just left with one partition using the full size of the SD card, and not with the 40MB partition, and then a partition with the remainder of the space.

I know for a fact that when I plug my Nook in, I only see the Nook's internal memory and 1 SD card partition get mounted. If the 40MB partition remained, it should show me the Nook's internal memory, and 2 SD card partitions get mounted, which is not the case.

califrag

Mar 14, 2009

when you format the card using the nook it will fix the partition tables. i did this with my 4GB card and it worked fine.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
Are you sure? I'm not positive that's the case. I won't be able to verify until later this evening, but I'm pretty sure the SD card is just left with one partition using the full size of the SD card, and not with the 40MB partition, and then a partition with the remainder of the space.

I know for a fact that when I plug my Nook in, I only see the Nook's internal memory and 1 SD card partition get mounted. If the 40MB partition remained, it should show me the Nook's internal memory, and 2 SD card partitions get mounted, which is not the case.

yeah. the nooter method leaves the card with only one 40mb partition. you can format this partition to fat32 and you will see it in the nook, but it's still only 40mb. there won't be two partitions on the card. i did this myself. then i realized the partition was only 40mb, and that repartitioning is necessary.

JJ.80

Dec 22, 2010
Partition/Format SD card

I used a 2GB (1.86GB usable)SD card to root my nook color and followed Tokyomonster's method of using the nook to format the SD card so I could get back the rest of the space available. Once formated the nook, as well as disk management in windows verified that the sd card was back to 1 partition with the 1.86GB of usable space.

Thanks Tokyomonster!! :)

gtriever

Jan 8, 2009
W. KY
Not as elegant or simple as using the Nook, but I use Active@ Partition Manager (free, btw) and delete the existing partitions, then create a new one and format.

wvcachi

Jul 20, 2010
Chicago
If for some reason you can't let the Nook reformat it, you can also insert the SD into a rooted android phone, and format it using Amon Ra Recovery. I did this before I found out that the Nook could do it.

sangandongo

Mar 25, 2010
Searching the Nook forum for "repartition" tool or "partition tool" came up with nothing. Can you be more specific about its location? I'm in a hell of a mess right now. My entire partition table for mmcblk0 got wiped.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Then go to device info
    Then click on SD card
    Click on 'umount sdcard'

if you're having trouble partitioning your sd card back to fat32 after you root using nooter, try the method here. what that guide tells you is to basically use this program to enable the Delete Partition menu option in Windows Disk Management, if it's grayed out.

i was going crazy trying to partition my sd card until i found this info. hope it helps.