SIPChange: Changes the DefaultIM in AKU2

Search This thread

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
SIPChange v1.1 update: You can now change the timeout from its 10 second default

Here's my first programming contribution! It's for those of you who can no longer change their defaultIM using the posted reghacks after upgrading to AKU2.x. No matter what you choose, the keyboard SIP is always selected after a soft reset.

If you aren't having this problem, then you don't need this little app (unless, of course, you don't feel good about dinking around in the registry changing DefaultIM CLSIDs...)

The problem occurs because some AKU2 based service or process is changing the SIP back to the keyboard. This happens 4-8 seconds after startup programs run. As such, SIPChange is a workaround of sorts because when it runs at startup it waits 10 seconds before changing the SIP to your selected default. Go here for more information on this issue.

SIPChange has two execution modes. If executed with no parameter, it presents the list of SIPs available on your device and allows you to select a default. Once set, this information is stored in the registry. If executed with "SET" as the parameter it minimizes itself, reads the default from the registry and waits 10 seconds. When the timeout expires, it sets the Current SIP to your selected default and closes.

How to use:
1. Copy the attached CAB to your device
2. Tap on the cab using file manager to install.

Now open SIPChange by tapping Start->Programs->SIPChange. You will be presented with a list of your available SIPs. Highlight the one you want to become the defaultIM. If you wish, you can change the default delay as well. Now tap the "Select" button. The SIP will be changed to your selection and SIPChange will close.

That's it! The next time you (or your automatic nightly backup) resets your device, the default SIP will be reset to your choice.

MOD EDIT (DaveShaw): The aformentioned CAB is here : http://rapidshare.com/files/208325629/SIPChange.CAB

Last edited by a moderator:

gottagetalife

Jan 19, 2006
Leeds
SIP Changer

Thanks Sleuth255!!

tested the SIP changer and it works.

Well done for the workaround, shame they had to go and mess things up in the first place!

tut00

Feb 22, 2006
HELP

Hi,

Thanks for the great app!! I do have one problem though, i can't get it to start up without prompting me. I have tried applying the SET parameter, but must be doing it wrong. Here is what I have tried...

in \program files\sipchange\sipchange_182.exe SET

and set the shortcut to be a copy of that...

I have tried it without set and have the shortcut name be sipchange_182.exe SET.lnk

I am totaly confused as to how to set it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-John

stainlesspc

Apr 20, 2006
Tennessee, USA
Seems to work fins but for one small problem.
Not sure what it is but I noticed things taking a rather long time to load.
I would take literally 2-3 minutes to paint the screen when opening a new application. I soft reset and no help. THen I started thinking what I did. SIPchange 182 was the last thing I did.
I had the shrotcut in startup
program files\sipchange\sipchange_182.exe SET

After I removed it everything runs fine.
I still have it on my 8125 just not startup .

is the "SET" correct or does it need to be something different for each method ie.
"block" for block input

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Here's a little more explanation on how to install SIPChange:

First, make a new folder under program files called "sipchange" then place the sipchange executable (downloaded from the above attachment) into that folder and rename it if necessary to sipchange.exe.

Now, using file explorer, navigate to \program files\spichange and then tap and hold on sipchange.exe. Choose "copy".
Now, navigate to \windows\startup with filemanager and choose "Paste shortcut" from the menu.

Here's the part where you need a third party program. You now need to modify the execution properties of shortcut you just pasted into the startup folder. Several programs can do this. I use a utility called GSFinder+ which a free file explorer replacement. What you need to do is to change the shortcut execution properties from "\program files\sipchange\sipchange.exe" to "\program files\sipchange\sipchange.exe" SET

There is also a way to do this without any third party file explorers by editing the shortcut file itself with notepad on your PC. The thread that explains this is located here.

I'm not sure how my attachment got renamed from sipchange.exe to sipchange_182.exe tho....

@stainlesspc:

SIPChange shouldn't ever remain in memory longer than 10 seconds when run with the SET parameter. You can check this with settings/system/memory/running programs. So it shouldn't have any effect on program execution time unless you are somehow setting the SIP to something invalid. Try this: make sure that you have run sipchange.exe at least once with no parameter and set a default. I'm assuming you have already done this to sett the letter recognizer as your preferred default. If you haven't, it is possible that something strange may be happening because no default SIP registry entry is present. However, in this case, the set SIP operation should just return an error (which is ignored by SIPChange). I'll check into it though.

SET is indeed the only parameter it recognizes. When it sees SET as an execution parameter, it attempts to change the SIP to the input method you chose when you last pressed "Set Default".

Btw on my 8125 I just used SIPChange to set letter recognizer as my default thinking it may have something to do with the letter recognizer default iteself. Then I soft reset. Unfortunately tho, I'm not seeing the delay you mention :(. I'm not using the official Cingular AKU2 release as you though. I am running AKU2.3 from Summiter's multi-installer.

henk-jan

Nov 21, 2004
Thanks guys, it works on a Qtek9000 also
My problem (want the nullkb as default) is solved at last. :)

JNGold

Oct 21, 2005
Hmm..seems to be a problem with setting transcriber as the default. When rendering my Today screen the transcriber menu bar gets displayed in the middle of the screen. Transcriber is the only input method after the keyboard that I would consider using.

However, I may still keep the exe on my device since launching it is still a heck of alot faster than doing the standard SIP change method on my K-JAM.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
@JNGold:

The transcriber is the only SIP that has a "Transcriber Intro" splash screen :roll:

On my 8125, that splash screen has a checkbox called "don't show this" which would seem to be the fix for your issue.

To keep that checkbox from getting cleared on a reboot is a bit of a chore however. I had to select the transcriber, check the checkbox then select a different SIP then go back to the transcriber again (the splash isn't displayed). Pretty kludgy eh? :shock:

Now when I reset, the splash isn't displayed, and the transcriber menubar appears right above the softkeys. I'm running SpBPocket plus btw and I'm not seeing the menubar shift you describe. :(

JNGold

Oct 21, 2005
Sleuth255 said:
@JNGold:

The transcriber is the only SIP that has a "Transcriber Intro" splash screen :roll:

On my 8125, that splash screen has a checkbox called "don't show this" which would seem to be the fix for your issue.

To keep that checkbox from getting cleared on a reboot is a bit of a chore however. I had to select the transcriber, check the checkbox then select a different SIP then go back to the transcriber again (the splash isn't displayed). Pretty kludgy eh? :shock:

Now when I reset, the splash isn't displayed, and the transcriber menubar appears right above the softkeys. I'm running SpBPocket plus btw and I'm not seeing the menubar shift you describe. :(

Hey Sluth, thanks for responding. FYI I also have the trascriber splash screen disabled. What I was seeing is on a soft reset, that the transcriber menu bar was appearing a little below the lower half of the screen. I also have sbp today plugin, pocket breeze and battery status (in that order).

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Yeah, I understand. I'm not seeing that on mine though. When I (finally) got the splash screen not to show on my 8125, the menubar always appeared right next to the softkeys. The only thing I can think of is that something executes on yours to update the today screen after SIPChange makes the transcriber default and this is somehow shifting the menubar up. When the menubar appears, does it initially show at the bottom and then move? I suppose I'd first try disabling all my today screen plugins to see if the problem goes away then, if it does, I'd re-enable them one by one to find the culprit.

assmonkey

Aug 8, 2006
Unsigned error message

My guess is there is some registry hack to disable Windows telling me that an app is not signed because when I originally got the phone it didn't do this, but since hard-reset and NOT installing all of the auto-install cabs it now barks anytime an app is not signed. :evil: I'll try to search for this, but can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

My reason is that I followed the directions to a T, ran the app once to set the default (it barked then too but I accepted manually and wondered if it would pose a problem). Now, after a reset, it says it cannot open sipchange because it either doesn't have a signed certificate or cannot be found. I know it's there, and I know it has the certificate issue.

I'd like to just disable this certificate signing "feature" so it doesn't bother me and allows this wonderful app to work. Thanks for all your work to solve this stupid "feature" (setting the SIP) that M$ obviously felt was a necessity and knows better than it's users. :roll:

Problems with Fitaly SIP

I had hoped that SIPchange would solve a vexing issue for me. Something on the device...and I am also suspecting Spb Pocket Plus like some other posters... is stopping me from using the Fitaly SIP (www.fitaly.com)

Periodically, something stops me from selecting the Fitaly SIP. Keyboard is always launched instead. If I launch Fitaly as soon as I run the device, it sometimes helps for a while, but something always blocks it eventually. The only fix tht I have found is to soft reset.

Making Fitaly the default SIP can be disastrous. I have found that it makes my device unbootable - just hangs late in the boot process, again causing me to wonder if it is something to do with SPb Pocket Plus. I had to hard reset to fix this one.

So SIPchange does work... but only if the SIP is selectable manually. Is there any way you can force it to over-ride whatever is blocking me from Fitaly. (I guess we need to figure out what the problem is first. I'm hoping some smarter brains than mine will be able to figger this one out.)

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
my guess would be that some Fitaly support components need to be loaded that the SIP depends on. SipChange just launches the SIP itself based on what's registered. Perhaps you can launch Fitaly in startup first? I don't know anything at all about the Fitaly program itself so this is just wild speculation on my part btw...

hendrixus

Jan 25, 2006
Amsterdam
You can do that with a SIP like with TenGo Free

tengofreedefaultkm4.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP

Hi,

Thanks for the great app!! I do have one problem though, i can't get it to start up without prompting me. I have tried applying the SET parameter, but must be doing it wrong. Here is what I have tried...

in \program files\sipchange\sipchange_182.exe SET

and set the shortcut to be a copy of that...

I have tried it without set and have the shortcut name be sipchange_182.exe SET.lnk

I am totaly confused as to how to set it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-John