Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 (1.1 only)

Search This thread

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
*ALL THE USUAL DISCLAIMERS AND WARNINGS*

*THIS IS FOR VERSION 1.1 ONLY, DON’T TRY ON 1.0.0 OR 1.0.1*

Credit goes to: GabrialDestruir for the original auto-nooter, GLa’DOS for the boot animation, pokey9000 for nooter, Mistar Muffin for Market and GTalk Fix, clockworx for the “non-ugly” patch that is used to get androidID, mastapsi for testing and coding of the original auto-nooter, lewellyn for coding, [mbm] for ABI Fix, Hotaru for the Gingerbread keyboard, rpollard00 for DroidX keyboard with bigger font, bpk for Soft Keys, Ben74 for NookColor Tools which enables Non Market Installs and re-enable of ADB , Freenode's #nookcolor chat for code checking. A special thanks to all developers out there, without all of you this community would not be as great as it is.

Please Note: If you are the developer of an app that is included in this work, and would like me to remove it, feel free to contact me.

*I am copying the following step from the original auto-nooter, because they are tried and true, and people are already familiar with seeing them*

What it does:
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Busybox with whoami
Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs, and re-enable ADB)
Installs Calendar and Calculator.
Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
Installs Gingerbread Keyboard
Enable ADB
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
Enables Live Wallpapers
Enables Android Market and Gmail.
App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Known Problems
:
With the version 1.1 update, ADB will not stay active after a reboot or unplug of the cable. To enable each time you want to use it, you will have to go into NookColor Tools /All Settings/Development/USB debugging, you will have to uncheck the box and then recheck it.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.1 you must do a complete wipe.
* You must update to 1.1 to use Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 Instructions HERE.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
2 You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
3 You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
4 You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the NC.
5 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download Auto-Nooter from here: MultiUpload or MediaFire
*MD5 FB74865663B8D797A486A85022FAD9B2*
2 Linux: Unzip and use dd if=auto-nooter-3.0.0.img of=/dev/sdcard
2 Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
2 Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
6 Your NookColor will reboot when it's done.

That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

7 Upon boot unlock your screen.
8 At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
9 Enable Location Services when given the option.
10 Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
11 Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
12 Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
13 Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
14 Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
15 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

16 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
17 If your Youtube fails to launch, download the attached EVO HQ, and follow this code in adb
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb uninstall com.google.android.youtube
adb push YouTube.apk /system/app
adb reboot

18 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

Complete Wipe:
1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
2 Factory ResetFactory Reset > Wipes /data
*You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.*

*Before anyone starts to say that I took this project away from GabrialDestruir, I posted this file in the original post, and sent the OP a PM asking to update the current project. I have yet to hear back, and the post was not updated. My post can be found HERE, dated February 2, 2011. I felt that this would be of a benefit to the community, so I am posting it now. If I am asked at some point to take it down I will do so at that time.*

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    853.5 KB · Views: 4,077
Last edited:

danbutter

Feb 1, 2008
Forgive my ignorance here, but I thought you were never supposed to use the NC to format your SD card? (last step)

I thought I read somewhere that it messes up something in the emmc?
Hopefully I'm wrong and just paranoid :)

edboston

Dec 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Forgive my ignorance here, but I thought you were never supposed to use the NC to format your SD card? (last step)

I have never really seen an explanation as to why you don't format on the NC. I have formated via the NC and the card works fine both in the NC and my PC. When I want to burn an image, I have been able too. Been able to flash other images on it too.

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010

Formatting the SDcard doesn't touch the onboard storage. It is one of the easier ways to remove bonus partitions to recover the full card. UPDATE: I should clarify this: when running Eclair internally.

Homer

Last edited:

Ophbalance

Jul 12, 2008

You're thinking of Nookie Froyo. The stock B&N system is fine for formatting the card.

mrapollinax

Nov 1, 2010
I think formatting the SD card is an issue when you use one of the Froyo images and boot from eMMC. When you format the SD card it actually formats the internal boot partition or some such. I remember reading it in one of the threads which led me to only boot the Froyo images from an external card.

bugeyed1

Dec 24, 2010
Conroe, Tx
I am at 1.1.0. When did 1.1.1 appear & how do I get it?
BTW Is this exactly the same as the interim A-N 2.12.25 modified for 1.1?
k

Last edited:

bugeyed1

Dec 24, 2010
Conroe, Tx
Just for clarification, in steps 3 & 4 should the NC be turned off? I have never been sure if it matters, but the following statement makes me think that it should be off,
"5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)"

Thanks,
kev

bretzke

Dec 3, 2010
also interested to know that!

And if there is benefits, can we use the auto nooter?

I guess it should be the same, but I had a couple of games break after up'ing with 1.1_r2. So I wanted to try stock/clean 1.1 and then root...hoping this would bring them back.

Last edited:

trentmaynard

Sep 14, 2009
Austin
help please

I'm having a problem rooting my nook color. 2 weeks ago I was fully rooted and for some reason I forget why? but I went back to stock. recently I updated to the newest Barnes & noble firmware. seeing the recent developments of honeycomb I wanted to root my nook again. so I tried downgrading to firmware before the most recent update and using that version of auto nooter. I followed the instructions exactly to a tee. the problem is my nook wont load the disk image from the sd card. I made sure to fully format the sd card before writing the img with Win32DiskImager. I made sure the nook was completely off then plugging in the usb to into the pc to wake up the nook. but nothing? the nook boots up like normal then says sd card damaged. I've formatted the sd card again and have used the newest nooter for my current 1.1. but nothing. the only difference is the first time I rooted I was at my mothers and used her pc. it was a windows vista 64 bit. my computer is windows seven 64 bit. anyone have any idea's as to why the nook wont load the sd card with the nooter image? I'm using the same sd card I was able to root from before. so I seriously doubt its the sd card. I am properly formatting it before writing the img. I am having no problem writing the img. any help would be appreciated

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
I'm having a problem rooting my nook color. 2 weeks ago I was fully rooted and for some reason I forget why? but I went back to stock. recently I updated to the newest Barnes & noble firmware. seeing the recent developments of honeycomb I wanted to root my nook again. so I tried downgrading to firmware before the most recent update and using that version of auto nooter. I followed the instructions exactly to a tee. the problem is my nook wont load the disk image from the sd card. I made sure to fully format the sd card before writing the img with Win32DiskImager. I made sure the nook was completely off then plugging in the usb to into the pc to wake up the nook. but nothing? the nook boots up like normal then says sd card damaged. I've formatted the sd card again and have used the newest nooter for my current 1.1. but nothing. the only difference is the first time I rooted I was at my mothers and used her pc. it was a windows vista 64 bit. my computer is windows seven 64 bit. anyone have any idea's as to why the nook wont load the sd card with the nooter image? I'm using the same sd card I was able to root from before. so I seriously doubt its the sd card. I am properly formatting it before writing the img. I am having no problem writing the img. any help would be appreciated

You probably have a bad burn on the sdcard. Are you writing to the sdcard from the sd card reader or from the nook? Also, if you return to stock, (8 failed boots, then Power+N) You should be on firmware 1.0.0 or 1.0.1. Then root using one of the two original auto nooters, download rom manager from the market and flash the 1.1 pre-rooted firmware.

Reactions: trentmaynard

trentmaynard

Sep 14, 2009
Austin
Thanks buddy, I try doing that. and I don't have an sd card reader so I just put the sd card that I'm going to write into my cell phone. then mount the sd card and write the img to the same storage device that represents the sd card. I'm sure this is the wrong way of doing it but I have gotten root doing the same thing before

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *ALL THE USUAL DISCLAIMERS AND WARNINGS*

*THIS IS FOR VERSION 1.1 ONLY, DON’T TRY ON 1.0.0 OR 1.0.1*

Credit goes to: GabrialDestruir for the original auto-nooter, GLa’DOS for the boot animation, pokey9000 for nooter, Mistar Muffin for Market and GTalk Fix, clockworx for the “non-ugly” patch that is used to get androidID, mastapsi for testing and coding of the original auto-nooter, lewellyn for coding, [mbm] for ABI Fix, Hotaru for the Gingerbread keyboard, rpollard00 for DroidX keyboard with bigger font, bpk for Soft Keys, Ben74 for NookColor Tools which enables Non Market Installs and re-enable of ADB , Freenode's #nookcolor chat for code checking. A special thanks to all developers out there, without all of you this community would not be as great as it is.

Please Note: If you are the developer of an app that is included in this work, and would like me to remove it, feel free to contact me.

*I am copying the following step from the original auto-nooter, because they are tried and true, and people are already familiar with seeing them*

What it does:
    Installs su and Superuser.apk
    Installs Busybox with whoami
    Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
    Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs, and re-enable ADB)
    Installs Calendar and Calculator.
    Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
    Installs Gingerbread Keyboard
    Enable ADB
    Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
    Enables Live Wallpapers
    Enables Android Market and Gmail.
    App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Known Problems
    :
    With the version 1.1 update, ADB will not stay active after a reboot or unplug of the cable. To enable each time you want to use it, you will have to go into NookColor Tools /All Settings/Development/USB debugging, you will have to uncheck the box and then recheck it.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.1 you must do a complete wipe.
    * You must update to 1.1 to use Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 Instructions HERE.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
    2 You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3 You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4 You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the NC.
    5 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download Auto-Nooter from here: MultiUpload or MediaFire
    *MD5 FB74865663B8D797A486A85022FAD9B2*
    2 Linux: Unzip and use dd if=auto-nooter-3.0.0.img of=/dev/sdcard
    2 Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    2 Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
    3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
    4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
    5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
    6 Your NookColor will reboot when it's done.

That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

7 Upon boot unlock your screen.
    8 At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    9 Enable Location Services when given the option.
    10 Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
    11 Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
    12 Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    13 Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
    14 Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
    15 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

16 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    17 If your Youtube fails to launch, download the attached EVO HQ, and follow this code in adb
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb uninstall com.google.android.youtube
    adb push YouTube.apk /system/app
    adb reboot

18 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

Complete Wipe:
    1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
    2 Factory ResetFactory Reset > Wipes /data
    *You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.*

*Before anyone starts to say that I took this project away from GabrialDestruir, I posted this file in the original post, and sent the OP a PM asking to update the current project. I have yet to hear back, and the post was not updated. My post can be found HERE, dated February 2, 2011. I felt that this would be of a benefit to the community, so I am posting it now. If I am asked at some point to take it down I will do so at that time.*
    Can somebody please tell me how I can disable Soft Keys? They are not fully functional and I'd like to get rid of them.

A couple of times in the past a window would pop up asking me what I wanted to use as my Home button, and I picked my launcher and disabled the Soft Keys. But somehow the Soft Keys are back and I would like to disable them.

Set up Softkeys right and it works just fine.

http://nookdevs.com/index.php?title=NookColor_Default_Launcher
    So has anyone used Dalgrin's OC with this? What needs to be done to get an OC?

I have.

You need to install clockwork mod recovery. You can do that by getting Rom Manager from the market, opening it up and flashing CWR (the top item in Rom manager). But before booting into recovery (the second choice in Rom Manager), exit out of rom manager, shut down the nook and turn it back on (reboot normally).**

Then, download the kernal you want, save on your SD card (I set up a folder in clockwork on my SD card... usually under the downloads folder I put a kernal folder using Astro). Then go into Rom Manager and boot into recovery (the 2nd choice).

Now do a nandroid backup in CWR.

after done backing up, choose the Install zip from sdcard option, and find the kernal zip and install.

You'll also need SetCPU in the market.

** - if you don't reboot after flashing CWR, and you reboot directly into recovery, you'll get into a CWR boot loop where you'll need to flash the CWR_removal zip file locted in the Monster root thread. so just do a normal reboot your nook after flashing CWR and you'll avoid this.

Editted to add: I'm in no way trying to be a thread cop (as I'm participating in it)... but a lot of this discussion is off the topic of the AN3.0. Imagine you trying to find info about how to root your nook with 3.0 and having to wade through gift card and recovery talk. [/off soap box... sprains ankle]
    I'd say it's a typo and should be v1.1?
    11th from the top... manual nooter! Just a short look and you would have found it.

It's dead simple.

In case you want to revert, try this. If it worked coming from my CM7 setup, it'll work coming from your 1.2 stock setup.