Heavy banding on gradients

Search This thread

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010
So I just installed "the impossible game" on my brand new SGS2 and discovered there's some banding on the gradient in this game, which was not here with my Nexus One (AMOLED).
Has anyone else noticed that ? do you think it can be fixed later on (I know supercurio did some work on the first SGS's rendering) ?

edit : I'm only talking about the horizontal banding (the circular moiré is caused by the glass and visible only on the camera). Also I tried changing the brightness and background rendering but nothing helped.

Dk7X3.jpg

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010
So I'm the only one experiencing that ? o_O

I hope my phone is not faulty because I've already rooted it so I guess I can't return it anymore :-/

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
Try checking the loading screen for the XDA app. It should be a nice gradient of brown but I remember it was HEAVILY banded on the Atrix.

Roger should chime in with more info on this =)

LarcusMywood

Mar 26, 2011
Phew, it's not just me! The two things I'm disappointed with on this phone are the screen issues and the battery life. Other than that, it's incredible.

Let's hope for major firmware upgrades and dev support!

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010

Thanx for the link. And of course we don't need to test on an app, I just happened to notice on this particular game, and thought it was best to avoid comparing with the browser or gallery since they could be faulty themselves (the gallery used to cause banding on the Nexus One).

I really hope it can be fixed later... I keep reading the screen is fantastic, but it doesn't look so good now (maybe it's better than pentile Matrix though)

LawAce

Feb 20, 2011
I don't have a SGSII but you are certainly not alone, I've read a lot about this banding issue - remember reading somewhere about the possibility that it may infact be 16bit at the moment.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Try checking the loading screen for the XDA app. It should be a nice gradient of brown but I remember it was HEAVILY banded on the Atrix.

Roger should chime in with more info on this =)

heh well i'll give my unofficial opinion is that your nexus one is running the latest 2.3.3 GB which fixed the nexus one's 16 bit color banding issue. did that game show banding on your nexus one last year?

anyway my opinion theory is the super amoled plus screen is still not 24 bit color yet, probably only 16 bit like the n1 was. i cant prove this though, so take as you wish.

the nexus one on the XDA app, the spalsh screen showed lots of banding for all last year. after the 2.3.3 update the banding is finally gone on the nexus one. and google admitted that the 2.3.3 update finally brought the n1 up from 16 bit color.

so my guess is the new amoled+ wasnt finalized yet, like the n1 originally, so the SGS2 is only 16 bit color in its current firmware version.

flooki

Apr 19, 2011
Very disappointing, I'll stay away from the phone for now and I hope they'll fix this as soon as possible! I feared that something like this would happen when I saw the GLBenchmark data (or something like that, which stated that it's 16-bit anyway). Good to hear that the N1 had the same problem and it got fixed, though!

LarcusMywood

Mar 26, 2011
Very disappointing, I'll stay away from the phone for now and I hope they'll fix this as soon as possible! I feared that something like this would happen when I saw the GLBenchmark data (or something like that, which stated that it's 16-bit anyway). Good to hear that the N1 had the same problem and it got fixed, though!

It really isn't that noticeable, you can't see it under normal use when you're holding the phone at a normal distance.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Totally liveable in the short run knowing that it will get fixed. From the speed and quantity of updates, I'm guessing Samsung's trying to repair the black eye they got for pretty much ignoring the SGS.

Raymond77

Sep 12, 2008
It really isn't that noticeable, you can't see it under normal use when you're holding the phone at a normal distance.

I disagree, it's very noticeable when you have any image that has a gradient. Every time I load up the XDA app, or fire up Stupid Zombies, it's right there plain as day.

Very annoying.

earthdome

May 10, 2011
yeah. it's plain obvious. for that game, i have to set the quality to low, so that the banding disappears

alexcarterkarsus

Jun 14, 2010
omg, you got to be kidding me... even my android-loaded HD2, which is definitely suffering from a hardware limit of 65536 colors, shows less banding, much less shall I say, than this supposedly 16M colored monster?? :-(

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
this issue wouldnt stop me from keeping the SGS2. but there were lots of specific test images used on the nexus one to highlight the issue.

in fact here is the article with test images you guys can try on your SGS2. at the time of this article, the pentile pixel matrix was the highlight. but a year later the 2.3.3 update kinda proved that the banding was NOT related to the pixels, since its totally fixed now.

interesting read nonetheless.
http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

BlueScreenJunky

Feb 25, 2010
After testing a bit more, the photo I took in the first post is THE most obvious case of banding I could find. The gradient in xda, or the one at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php are not perfect, but they don't look THAT bad.

edit : And yeah, it's not enough for me to return the phone, and I'd buy it again knowing that, but it's still annoying, especially since they insisted so much on the quality of the SAMOLED+ screen.

Last edited:

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
It's purely a software bug. I'm almost certain the physical display can handle these gradients.

On my Nexus One/S if I view that sunset on mars photo in the stock android gallery I get all that banding. If I use another gallery like QuickPic, no banding at all.

It's a similar bug when setting home page wallpapers. You get quite a bit of banding doing it the stock way, but using wallpaper set & save to set the background eliminates banding.

mathieulh

Jan 9, 2008
Paris
It's not the screen, it's the rom, the browser is set/capped to 16 bits. The gallery however actually displays in 24 bits.

This issue can be fixed with a custom rom, it's probably set to 16 bits to allow smoother web browsing, which is totally stupid because the processor is totally capable of handling smooth browsing with 24 bits display.

amtrakcn

Mar 22, 2010
Madison
There is color cap in WP7, currently with some tweak my Focus does display 24bit color in Pictures hub but 16bit in any browser related app. You people may want to try more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This issue is under rated for the most of the people, I dont understand why ?

I think if the SII was VGA only still some people won't mind.

This is a top notch gadget and some people are still too little demanding on the quality of it. :(

Along with the yellow issue, I classify this problem as inadmissible :mad:
    should be more direct in your query to avoid such replies

"colors of xx and zz and yy are 16bit and display banding problems"
    "fix it fix it fix it"
    :)

otherwise they over read it and reply copy-pasted stuff (they get zillion support emails a day)
    procedural gradient

ok very simple, tested on my sgs2, I see slight banding in the green in portrait, however we should note that the human eye is most dominent in green spectrum, by quite a bit!

This amazingly complicated app does set the 8888 format on binding, so if all is well on the display there should be little or no banding. Android messes with bitmaps so procedural grads are the best way to see :)

I was going to put controls in to generate user gradients, but then just thought sod it, it's only a test :)
    New test

Ok changed grad display, includes Pixel Format ID, Pixel Format Name, and screen refresh rate (just for the hell of it).

You should see ID = 5, Name = BGRA_8888 which is Blue, Green, Red, Alpha at 8bits per channel per pixel. So this gives you 24bit colour.

Note: Androids default from what I have read used to be RGB_565, and now RGA_8888 i think is standard, this new BGRA format isn't well documented.

But neways, if you have anything other than BGRA_8888 then yes, software issue!, if you have that, then I think it should all be fine and conclude that displays on phones are not the most accurate (like almost every display in use today, except my lovely pro ips lcd I'm typing this on ;) )

Edit:

as another note, developers can set PixelFormat to what they want, and instead of programmer generated gradients, they may use bitmaps (images) that have been heavily compressed and/or palletized to hell for space and performance. This would create banding in lots of cases. So you cant really look at an app, and say my screen if naff or have defects unless you wrote the app or know how it's setup. This grad app shows the screen/os default pixel format and sets full 24bit colour for the procedural gradients, so it's the best graduation of colour your gonna get.
    Even though the banding improved over the course of the gingerbread ROMs it was still there but now with ics it finally seems fixed.