When buying a new Micro SD card, does brand really matter?

Search This thread

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
title says it all, i want to get a new micro SD card cuz i dont have enough space for my music on my 16GB so i wantex to know if brand really matters when buying micros cuz i can get a cheaper price on smaller name brands. so, opinions?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Last edited:

media_11

Feb 2, 2011
Bellingham, Washington
I would say it depends on where you buying them from. I would never buy a micro sd card from ebay or similar sites because they might say Samsung on them and you can get them from real cheap, You wouldn't know if they are REAL samsung micro sd cards.
I usually buy mine from newegg.com and they start at $10 for 16gb

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
I can't say what the difference is to the phone. I bought a 32GB PNY class 10 so I would be able to cut the time it takes to download from my computer to the card with a reader. I have a usb3 port and usb3 reader on my PC which is used mostly for photography. But when I transfer music and movies to my card for my phone it is faster by three fold.

avrillapete

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus
The faster the card, really the better. If you get some random off brand, who knows where that card came from, and if the speed rating is even accurate. Some places house brands are pretty good though, I dunno who makes Microcenter's memory but they are very cheap and have yet to have a problem with them. However the real issue would be reliability. It's always a good idea to backup your card, but I rather have my data and photos on a name I can trust. 60 bucks for the PNY 32gb class 10 was a good deal for me.

On this particular phone, you can consider the SD card like your computer's hard drive. Would you really go get some off-brand from ebay for your PC to save a few dollars? I know I wouldn't. Not worth the headache of losing important data.

media_11

Feb 2, 2011
Bellingham, Washington
I understand faster cards works better. However, I never really notice any difference in speed in my class 4, class 6 or class 10 in Galaxy 4g. I do notice little different in my galaxy s2. I can see the difference when I run benchmarks but in my opinion the speed of card also depends on speed of your device.

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
i would love to get a PNY one, but ive bought three usb drives from them and all of them habe literally fallen apart...

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I would say it depends on where you buying them from. I would never buy a micro sd card from ebay or similar sites because they might say Samsung on them and you can get them from real cheap, You wouldn't know if they are REAL samsung micro sd cards.
I usually buy mine from newegg.com and they start at $10 for 16gb

I would agree with this. The name only is relevant if your buying from a unknown vendor. But if your going with newegg or some other online retailer other than some random ebay auction as long as it is the size you want I dont think it really matters.

The class of the sdcard is somewhat releveant depending on what you are doing with it. The typical android user will not notice that much of a increase of a class 10 over a class 4. But if your taking bunches of photos and videos or playing videos on your phone the class ten are going to perform "better".

Just to reiterate the name brand isnt as much of a issue if you are buying from a legit source. I bought a dane elctric one several years back and haven't had any problems other than the adapter went out. The card itself works flawlessly.

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
@jiggly

im gonna read through that guide tonight cuz thats just what i needed!

i intend to buy from best buy so i'll have to get whatever i can from them

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
My PNY 32GB class 10 speed.

Sequential

21.59MB/s read - 11.55MB/s write
This is using a 50MB file.

I would like to test the 4k transfers, but in order to test with a file size less than 50MB I would have to wipe the card. I'll do it just not any time real soon.

jigglynuts

Jan 21, 2011
Cincinnati

It really depends on how exactly you are using your sd card. I know in the OP you said you have a lot of music. Do you typically clear all of your music and transfer all new stuff to the phone?

I have been using a sandisk class 6 for quite some time now and I absolutely love it. It is perfect for my needs. But I do not do a lot of heavy music on my sd card. I have read that even the class 10 Lexar sd cards have terrible random speeds, so I would definitely avoid them at all costs.

Reactions: bark777

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
no, i just drop music on the card from my laptop, never a complete replacement

cognus

Feb 3, 2011
New Braunfels
avoid amazon? or..

if I order from amazon, should I be wary of the brand name? like, have some of you bought via amazon what appeared to be a kingston or whatever known brand, only to find it probably is not?
I read the advice about watching the source carefully....

jigglynuts

Jan 21, 2011
Cincinnati
I have not ever had that issue with amazon before. I guess that it is possible but very unlikely in my opinion.

Its not like ebay where i would never trust that it is legitimate. I have ordered quite a bit from amazon without a single hitch or mistake.

Always be wary of ordering online though... because it can happen.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
if I order from amazon, should I be wary of the brand name?
As long as it is from amazon and not a store. But again amazon is better about policing its stores than ebay is. I have bought from amazon many times and not once had a problem with getting a different product then what I ordered.

cognus

Feb 3, 2011
New Braunfels
that's comforting. so I shall order the sandisk 32gb microsd from them. not bad for 25 bucks I guess. I hear it works fine in the Galaxy s 4G.

you know.... this is an aside... I am getting that phone [its on the way] for my wife, but I fear I shall like it. :confused: .. then what? but she's never used Android b4 so maybe she will barf ;)

Top Liked Posts