Nexus7 UMTS-Stick extern working

Search This thread

Xda2013

Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
Hello!

Yesterday evening i managed to connect my external UMTS-Stick ( Huawei , free gift from Alice /O2 Provider in Germany ) via OTG Kabel

xxx.amazon.de/gp/product/B0090N2FBA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

to my Nexus7.

Stock Rom, Android 4.1.1, rooted.

I used the app PPP Widget. ( xxx.draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget.html )

Everything worked like a charm.

I hardly found informations about Nexus7 working with this app, so i just wanted to spread the good news.

If someone needs information about the exact hardware version of this Huawei stick, i could post information later on.

As far as i tested, all applications got working internet connection.

Greetings.

wjr002

Jul 4, 2012
Great news. Does the app need root or will it work on an unrooted device?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Xda2013

Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
Root access is mandatory....

So far with the OTG USB cable i`m able to access my pictures directly on SD-Card in my EOS 1100d Canon Camera with Sticky Mount ( Play Market ), connect a USB 3.0 NTFS 32 Gig Stick and , as described, use an external UMTS modem.

So a few good reasons for Root.

Cheers.

Reactions: kendong2

Kaer84

Oct 17, 2009
Root is not necessary! play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, or other Android 3.2+ devices with USB Host support.

Xda2013

Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
Root is not necessary! play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, or other Android 3.2+ devices with USB Host support.

you can`t mount an umts stick with this method, no writing on media, no NTFS !!!!

Reactions: kendong2

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
Sorry, no Huawei, i just checked, it`s a ZTE HSDPA Stick

UMTS Stick ( Alice/ O2 ) ZTE MF100 (unlocked)

Greetings.

i was hoping you'd correct it that way, as i have the same stick, unlocked since last week. works perfectly with my multisim and my 5gb plan :D
two drawbacks, no pin support (don't like to have my sims unlocked, but meh), and disconnect doesn't work, but you can always just unplug it.

Cetin

Nov 6, 2007
Wooow!
I'm writing this turned wifi off and connected to O2 Germany zte 3565-z UMTS stick.
Tapatalk, browser, play store are apps I've tested until now. All working fine.
I will do speed test next.
Thanks a lot for your hint.

NEXUS 7

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

uhanu8y6.jpg

This is fly sh** :)
Provider is slow but I couldn't believe that this is working without doing any stuff. Just installing this widget and permitting root.
Really great!
NEXUS 7

wjr002

Jul 4, 2012
you can`t mount an umts stick with this method, no writing on media, no NTFS !!!!

You are right about the umts but I think the latest version of Media Importer supports NTFS.

Another alternative to having a usb stick hanging off the device is to use a pocket wifi portable modem. Be useful for just a data card but 4 hour battery life in use might be an issue when on the go.

Since all my mobile data is on my phone plan I'll stick to tethering..

maledjo

Sep 16, 2012
wohoo!

thank you guys, just rooted my N7. It happened I have with me a dongle from overseas which I unlocked in 2 sec, it is working like a charm.
brand is ZTE MF180.

anupsahu

Jun 30, 2012
Works like a charm....., u dont knw hw relieved i m. thank u so so much

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Cetin

Nov 6, 2007
The widget got an update today (0.99 to 1.0).
I don't know the difference yet.

NEXUS 7

dude_uuk

Dec 12, 2010
Hi guys, got a huawei e173 but could not connect to the internet.the usb stick is unlock.it says connected on the widget but could not connect to the internet.

Any suggestions guys?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

Yesterday evening i managed to connect my external UMTS-Stick ( Huawei , free gift from Alice /O2 Provider in Germany ) via OTG Kabel

xxx.amazon.de/gp/product/B0090N2FBA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

to my Nexus7.

Stock Rom, Android 4.1.1, rooted.

I used the app PPP Widget. ( xxx.draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget.html )

Everything worked like a charm.

I hardly found informations about Nexus7 working with this app, so i just wanted to spread the good news.

If someone needs information about the exact hardware version of this Huawei stick, i could post information later on.

As far as i tested, all applications got working internet connection.

Greetings.
    Root access is mandatory....

So far with the OTG USB cable i`m able to access my pictures directly on SD-Card in my EOS 1100d Canon Camera with Sticky Mount ( Play Market ), connect a USB 3.0 NTFS 32 Gig Stick and , as described, use an external UMTS modem.

So a few good reasons for Root.

Cheers.

checked and the ppp app needs root. What model is the Huawei ?

still at work, i ll check this afternoon. Post it tomorrow, ok ?!?

checked and the ppp app needs root. What model is the Huawei ?

Sorry, no Huawei, i just checked, it`s a ZTE HSDPA Stick

UMTS Stick ( Alice/ O2 ) ZTE MF100 (unlocked)

Greetings.