KitKat - the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

hafridi

Nov 19, 2013
Orlando
www.softwareham.net
Congratulations Everyone, we are all getting 4.4.2 official from samsung! Anyone receive the update yet?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-lays-out-which-devices-will-get-android-442-kitkat

Samsung this morning announced which of its devices are planned to receive an update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The list doesn't appear to contain any real surprises, but it's good to have some confirmation.

Here's how it breaks down for devices in the U.S.:

Galaxy Note 3
Galaxy Note II
Galaxy S4
Galaxy S4 mini
Galaxy S4 Active
Galaxy S4 zoom
Galaxy S III
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Mega
Galaxy Light
Galaxy Note 8.0
Galaxy Tab 3
Galaxy Note 10.1
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

Updates begin today, Samsung says — it didn't mention on which devices — so stay tuned.
Samsung Confirms KitKat for U.S. Smartphones and Tablets

DALLAS, February 18, 2014 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that a number of Samsung Galaxy® devices will receive the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) software update, enriching the Galaxy experience.

The upgrade provides a number of innovative, easy-to-use features that enhance the user experience, including a more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updated applications:

Location Menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities.
Enhanced Messaging: Enables users to choose between Messages or Hangouts as their preferred default messaging application, and select from a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons.
Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ (GMS) apps: Users can automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.

Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note® 3, Galaxy Note® II, Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 4 mini™, Galaxy S® 4 Active™, Galaxy S® 4 zoom™, Galaxy S® III, Galaxy S® III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note® 8.0, Galaxy Tab® 3, Galaxy Note® 10.1, Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.

coolpoete

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Well hopefully we get a leak or port from one of the other carriers and the masters can do their magic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sbergman27

Jan 9, 2013
The update will NOT come before Verizon's approval which means it will be delayed for months...

The really significant thing is that we *are* going to get the update. I was expecting 4.3 to be the last. Even if it takes months it will still be far earlier that I would have expected, even assuming that we were going to get another major update at all. (Face it. 4.3 took forever for even Samsung to get out.) This opens the possibility that we might even get another update someday.

Of course, I plan to have a Galaxy Note 4 in 10 months or so.

coolpoete

Well hopefully we get a leak or port from one of the other carriers and the masters can do their magic.
:good:

The really significant thing is that we *are* going to get the update. I was expecting 4.3 to be the last. Even if it takes months it will still be far earlier that I would have expected, even assuming that we were going to get another major update at all. (Face it. 4.3 took forever for even Samsung to get out.) This opens the possibility that we might even get another update someday. Of course, I plan to have a Galaxy Note 4 in 10 months or so.
:good:
It seems generally speaking that the big name manufacturers (at least Samsung/Moto/HTC) are getting the point that these devices deserve the updates and it promotes customer loyalty! I like the fact Google is pushing them too

Last edited:

hafridi

Nov 19, 2013
Orlando
www.softwareham.net
Well the biggest thing is that the 4.4.2 requires little ram. I might have jumped the gun on release but I am happy that we are in line to get it. I really hope that AT&T, Verizon or another service releases the update. I am pretty sure that when the international version get shipped out, someone will definitely port it over :D

mrraya

Dec 12, 2012
im not even excited about a 4.4 update i just got the 4.3 update in december and even after updateing verizon was saying we have no info on a 4.3 update being released for my note 2 and i gotto say the update is not all that great after the update my camera which on 4.1 took great pics now takes grainy pics that are awful

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
So Sprint announced that 4.4.2 KiKat for their Note lll

Last edited:

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Yes in my morning slumber I was to quick to read what I wanted to see, lol. Post edited to reflect and thanks for clearing that up before I got other's hopes up.

Top Liked Posts