[FLASHABLE ZIP] Google Gapps + Amazon AppShop - HDX 7", 8.9" (Thor, Apollo)

Search This thread

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation

Informations
  • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
  • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Will this work for 8.9 hdx?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Oups, forget to specifiy that i have the 7" model ...
Dunno, the main and most work is in the "services.odex" file, so maybe it's the same on both devices ! Is safestrap available on the 8.9 ? If there is a way to recover from "system" tricks then i could find the time to recompile this file for you guys.

Last edited:

Spec-Chum

Mar 7, 2013
Hi,

after a lot of work this night i finally got everything up and working including working play store downloads !
Here is a simple howto, i'm sure confirmed users won't have problems to get it working, and for other i'm sure there will be other howto in the next few days :p

BE SURE TO WORK ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

So here we go !

• Start from a stock, clean backup
  • Remove a few system apps (amazon mp3, slik browser...) to free space on system partition for gapps else it won't completely install
  • Install gapps from recovery : gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip
  • Remove "/system/app/SetupWizard.apk" to bypass gapps welcome screen as it depends on stock "Settings.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/MarketIntentProxy_1010.apk" (not sure if needed)
  • Replace "/system/framework/services.odex" with this one (recompiled with signature check disabled) : services.odex
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.odex"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.odex"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProvider.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProviderUI.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Update google play games services to version 4.0.34 (not sure if needed anymore as it will probably be downloaded from playstore)

If you get some fc, try clearing cache and dalvik cache. I will maybe try to build a custom rom from that but time will probably miss me !
I'm sure that confirmed hackers here will get it working with the provided files and write a better howto soon ;)

Enjoy and merry Christmas !

You may have just given me the excuse I needed to root...

berndt_toast

Mar 16, 2011
Hi,

after a lot of work this night i finally got everything up and working including working play store downloads !

You sir are a genius! Thanks so much for giving us the access to the play store for downloads. It's a christmas miracle! I can verify that this does indeed work on the 7" HDX.

Last edited:
Reactions: davekaz

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
You sir are a genius! Thanks so much for giving us the access to the play store for downloads. It's a christmas miracle! I can verify that this does indeed work on the 7" HDX.

I can confirm that this does indeed work :D
I'm not explaining a lot but if you are used to this i'm sure you'll find your way :)

berndt_toast

Mar 16, 2011
I can confirm that this does indeed work :D
I'm not explaining a lot but if you are used to this i'm sure you'll find your way :)

Edit: I somehow got into a boot loop. After I downloaded some updates, it restarted automatically to the kindle fire loading screen, then to the updating apps screen, then back to the Kindle Fire loading screen and kept on doing this. I had to hard reboot to get it to stop. Followed your instructions to a T. Any ideas? I did try to clear the cache and dalvik cache, but that did not help.

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Edit: I somehow got into a boot loop. After I downloaded some updates, it restarted automatically to the kindle fire loading screen, then to the updating apps screen, then back to the Kindle Fire loading screen and kept on doing this. I had to hard reboot to get it to stop. Followed your instructions to a T. Any ideas? I did try to clear the cache and dalvik cache, but that did not help.

You mean you was able to download some updates from the market then boot loop ? After the hard reset is it working? I didn't had a lot of time to play with it but didn't had a problem yet. I may have done other tweeks that i forget but don't think so. I know i did "chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache" as i think there was some permissions problem there but tougth it was not the case. Maybe it is..

A complete logcat output could help.

I have to go but will come back in a few hours to help..

berndt_toast

Mar 16, 2011
You mean you was able to download some updates from the market then boot loop ? After the hard reset is it working? I didn't had a lot of time to play with it but didn't had a problem yet. I may have done other tweeks that i forget but don't think so. I know i did "chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache" as i think there was some permissions problem there but tougth it was not the case. Maybe it is..

Yep, after downloading some app updates from the google play market, it automatically restarted and looped. After the hard reset it did not work. I reverted back to my stock backup for the time being. I tried fixing permissions in Safestrap, but that did not work either. I wonder if others are having this problem.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I think there is not a lot of others as it's the first hack out there that (should) works !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
Cap this is a great effort on your part. However, is it possible to make it dummy proof? Shorter version, etc?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

berndt_toast

Mar 16, 2011
Cpasjuste, what launcher are you using that you have the ability to change the wallpaper?

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007

Now that i think to it i also installed play store 4.5.10. But i will make a flashable zip in a few hours.

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Cap this is a great effort on your part. However, is it possible to make it dummy proof? Shorter version, etc?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Sorry my english is not perfect, i dont understand what you mean :/

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: tech6

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I think what he means is to make a flashable zip, which you already mentioned earlier.

Currently uploading the flashable zip !

One problem with it tough, gmail is not working anymore, something to do with the sync service ... while it work fine on my initial rom ! Can't understand but will probably find later ... in the meanwhile it can be used to test play store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
    This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation

Informations
    • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
    • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download

Installed on Stock Rom Working

For anyone who wants to know. I have a 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9. I rooted my kindle then used KindleFree to install google services. I installed the XPosed mod without safestrap and everything is working without issues. I have not had a single problem with mine. All google apps including google hangouts and google+ work. I have not tried gmail as I prefer the default mail client so I have not installed gmail and I probably wont but everything else is working.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all of the amazon services are working as well. I can download and install apps from both the playstore and the amazon store, watch movies, download books, download and listen to music and download documents. I haven't had any problems with any services for amazon or google not working. The only unknown for me is gmail but like I said earlier I prefer the default mail client so I have not tried gmail.
    When you say stock do you mean the unrooted one?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

*sigh*

When you first install safestrap recovery, and boot into it, it will stay very clearly that you're dealing with STOCK ROM (and recovery robot at the boot menu will be RED, not green). That means you're MUCKING WITH STOCK ROM, not a "copy" of a ROM (i.e. safestrap).

In order NOT to muck with stock ROM (i.e. live your life on the edge), you "backup" the stock ROM, create a ROM slot (probably 1, name it "mod test1 or whatever) restore your backup into it, and activate that so you from now on boot into the COPY of your ROM. Then you can flash, edit, distort, or multilate your ROM... and as long as you can get into safestrap recovery, you can simply reset the ROM slot by loading a backup, and you're back in 5 minutes. And your "stock ROM" (rooted, but unmodified) will stay UNTOUCHED.

Got that? :)
    Sounds like there's no way to keep Amazon services working while allowing Play store downloads to work. I'm a huge Amazon spender and prime customer so it'd be nice to have it working alongside Play store without resorting to rebooting to different rom slots.
    Currently uploading the flashable zip !

One problem with it tough, gmail is not working anymore, something to do with the sync service ... while it work fine on my initial rom ! Can't understand but will probably find later ... in the meanwhile it can be used to test play store.

zip uploaded and first post updated !