How can i convert kitkat .zip to odin flashable .tar

Search This thread

inimeg81

Dec 6, 2013
Croyon, PA
Ive been searching on how to convert the zip to tar but it seems it can only be done with recovery. How would i mount data as sdcard and what would i still need to do with system. Doors anyone have instructions on adb sideloading any of the kitkat roms ? Ive tried this before i believe and don't believe the recovery i was in at the time had adb sideload feature. Im on miui rom.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

inimeg81

Dec 6, 2013
Croyon, PA
Anyway i could use heimdall to help do this or is there a way to convert the entire zip to .img then convert to tar as this does work with recovery.img

Last edited:

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
Is there a reason you don't buy a card? A top-notch 32 GB SanDisk, UHS-1/Class 10 card is only $25 and smaller ones even less.

Odin doesn't know squat about MTD, just the OEM partitions, so you're probably out of luck looking for a simple solution down that path.

You might be able to flash just the kernel with heimdall, then boot into recovery, manually remount /data onto /sdcard, adb push the ROM, and install it with the flashed recovery.

inimeg81

Dec 6, 2013
Croyon, PA
If i had money i would. I seen the procedure to push the rom to data but it says i need aroma recovery ?

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
Most recovery of the same era can flash zips of that era. There is some incompatibility with certain older ROM updater-script calls and certain newer recovery, but you probably can flash with whatever you have on there already. If you're concerned, flash once with your existing recovery, reboot into recovery (which should be the ROM's recovery now) and flash again.