Is my M8 bricked?

Search This thread

3NE

Aug 2, 2008
Houston
OnePlus 7 Pro
Ok folks, normally I figure these things out but this one has me a bit concerned.
I was in ViperROM HUB and installed a font package, it needed to restart in recovery to install, so I allowed it. I turned to my computer and when I next looked at my phone the screen is off and refuses to come on. When depress the power button I get a vibration feedback but the screen won't come on. I tried VOL DOWN and POWER but nothing is happening. Im gonna let the battery run dead and see if that will resolve it.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

grega_slo

Apr 24, 2007
Ok folks, normally I figure these things out but this one has me a bit concerned.
I was in ViperROM HUB and installed a font package, it needed to restart in recovery to install, so I allowed it. I turned to my computer and when I next looked at my phone the screen is off and refuses to come on. When depress the power button I get a vibration feedback but the screen won't come on. I tried VOL DOWN and POWER but nothing is happening. Im gonna let the battery run dead and see if that will resolve it.

Hey!

I dont think its bricked.
Ghost helped me out with my problem, see below solution.

Try holding POWER + VOLUME UP for 20 seconds and it should restart.

However my case was different I was stuck in HTC logo screen and no way to restart.

3NE

Aug 2, 2008
Houston
OnePlus 7 Pro
Thanks grega_slo and gaiden0000 for the quick response and spot on advice.

I did that before but it didn't work, it works now…guess I didn't hold VOL UP long enough.

grega_slo

Apr 24, 2007
Yeah I didn`t know about VOLUP either :)

It scared the crap out of me when I S-OFFed the device and was stuck haha :)

cquinn

Sep 25, 2010
Yeah I didn`t know about VOLUP either :)

It scared the crap out of me when I S-OFFed the device and was stuck haha :)

having the same problem. flashed cyanogen nightly and when it rebooted got to the splash and then black. nothing. none of the above methods seems to bring it back. I can hold the power and vol up and get the splash to reappear but still goes to black. any thoughts of have I really bricked this phone?

pbedard

Jul 30, 2010
boston
having the same problem. flashed cyanogen nightly and when it rebooted got to the splash and then black. nothing. none of the above methods seems to bring it back. I can hold the power and vol up and get the splash to reappear but still goes to black. any thoughts of have I really bricked this phone?

Fastboot clear cache and format eternal storage youll be good

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: cquinn

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012

Put the usb cable in then press vol up and power until it restarts. As soon as you hear the ding on your pc press and hold vol down and power, you should then boot into hboot MENU.

Reactions: cquinn

cquinn

Sep 25, 2010

when i use this either from fastboot or adb command prompt all I get is < waiting for device >

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Put the usb cable in then press vol up and power until it restarts. As soon as you hear the ding on your pc press and hold vol down and power, you should then boot into hboot MENU.

never seem to hear a 'ding' or any other sound but no matter how I time it - power/vol up then power/vol down still results in htc splash then just black. Phone was quite warm (not quite hot) when I went to bed last night and this morning battery was at "0". When I first plugged it in and pushed the power button it alternated from the battery charging display to the TWRP locked screen but I couldn't seem to get it to stay on the TWRP screen no matter what I did. Now that I've used power/vol up I don't seem to get the battery or TWRP. just black or when trying power/vol up I get the splash. Power/vol down gives nothing - just black

EDIT: Just tried - let battery go dead. Plug in to computer hold power/vol down. Screen goes from battery icon to blank and back to battery icon.
EDIT: Pulled and reformatted sd card in Evo 4g LTE. Retried fastboot command still just shows "waiting for device". Even tried adb reboot bootloader and reply "device not found"

Last edited:

cquinn

Sep 25, 2010
Could I use adb to reflash ruu? If so would the command be adb flash (filename)

Was beginning to lose hope of ever fixing this but a HUGE shout out to Simer03 who provided the critical piece of information - namely - add a ROM zip to your sd card. Hope nobody else ever has this problem but just in case

Post #4 here

Last edited:

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Nothing is going to work unless you can either enter the boot loader or boot into the os.
You should still be able to access hboot unless that is corrupt. At the very least you need to hear the ding on your pc so you know the pc has recognized your device is connected.
Try again with vol up and power, hold until it reboots you should then hear that ding. If not check you have the necessary usb drivers installed on your pc or try a different usb cable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey!

I dont think its bricked.
    Ghost helped me out with my problem, see below solution.

Try holding POWER + VOLUME UP for 20 seconds and it should restart.

However my case was different I was stuck in HTC logo screen and no way to restart.
    On the M8 it is Power and Vol Up to perform a "battery pull".

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app