[Q] Weaksauce temp root for WIFI tether

Search This thread

ske1555

Apr 14, 2013
Hi everyone,

I would like to add wifi tether back to my phone, since I'm currently running 4.4 unrooted on my DNA.

My Droid DNA *isn't rooted* and I currently don't have any interest any ROMs or anything involving a full root. I very happy with stock at the moment and only miss the occasional WIFI tether. I have used FoxFi in the past and it currently doesn't support the droid DNA.

So what I'm thinking is just giving my phone temp root with weaksauce, and use a root access app like "WiFi Tether for Root Users" by Müller, Lemons, Buxton

* Install weaksauce + Super SU for root
* Install wifi tether app and use that
* Set wifi app to Generic WLAN 0 and check routing fix so it would tether correctly
* Use temp root and root app until foxfi comes out with DNA support
* uninstall super SU and weaksauce for it to be completely stock again

So would this work? Would root be removed if i just uninstall Super SU, then Weaksause? Has anyone used Weaksause on the Droid DNA? Is there something unstable with Weaksause, that makes it not practical for this? Is there a better wifi tether app for 4.4?

I can live without WIFI tether, but I thought this could be a handy trick to bring it back. If anyone has tried this or any of these steps, please let me know. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

The_Jeff

Apr 15, 2011
I used weaksauce to root/s-off my DNA. I can say that it was easy, and it is simple to reverse, I think it'd be safe to try!

Reactions: ske1555

rockfreak101

Feb 21, 2013
Weak sauce work for me for temp root as well. Not sure about the rest of your strategy though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

mpappas87

Mar 24, 2010
St. Louis
The WiFi teather for root users app doesn't work on kit Kat as far as I know. They may have updated it but it wasn't working last month.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ske1555

Apr 14, 2013
O wow, I wasn't aware of that.Thanks for that tip. I looked around on the market today, and didn't see any apps with 4.4 support... So I believe that is still the case.

-Now I know Weaksauce, is a solid way to get some temp root for apps only (no ROMs, and flashing)
-Weaksauce is super easy to install and remove
-And currently there is still no app (rooted or non-rooted) supporting WiFi tether on the Droid DNA running 4.4

I think I'll wait for FoxFi to come out with a fix for the Droid DNA. I don't think it should be that much longer because, they seem to have a fix on Samsung phones. I may use Weaksauce for some root access apps in the future, so thanks on that info.

Thanks Everyone

ske1555

Apr 14, 2013
Any confirmation that it's working on Kit Kat??

It does work on Kit Kat. I've used it on stock, without root, and it seems to work. It redirects you to the stock wifi tether, while its opening a free tether port, so you can manually turn it on there. It has trouble turning on sometimes, Do NOT hit the call Verizon for subscription button. It takes a little patience, so keep trying to launch and it'll go eventually. Turning off the tether works best when I turn it off through the stock wifi, rather than FoxFi. Hope this helps and let me know if you decide to try with root access or another ROM.

trinilu27

Sep 27, 2014
salt lake city
i have a cricket lg l70. 4.4.2 kit kat rooted ....teather wifi router working awsome....2.50$ on the play store..open app. if its not working for you. go to there help page and configure for ur devise...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used weaksauce to root/s-off my DNA. I can say that it was easy, and it is simple to reverse, I think it'd be safe to try!
    Weak sauce work for me for temp root as well. Not sure about the rest of your strategy though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    The WiFi teather for root users app doesn't work on kit Kat as far as I know. They may have updated it but it wasn't working last month.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app