Camera closes after taking pic...

Search This thread

twostep665

Jan 5, 2012
Hello everyone. I just got this phone the other day after returning the galaxy s5. I am loving it but I have one issue and maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Everytime I take a picture in the camera app after tapping the check button, the camera closes and I return to the home screen. Does anyone else have this problem or is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Not normal. If the phone is stock (unrooted, etc.) I would try a factory reset (backup any personal data first) and see if the problem persists.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Only time I see a check in camera app is when sending picture via mms and it asks where I want to send from@gallery,camera etc... if this is case of attaching picture directly from camera to an mms then this is a normal function, if taking a picture and it just closes then this is not normal reaction

twostep665

Jan 5, 2012
Well it seems that the problem has resolved itself. I was just about to post a screen shot of the check mark so you guys could see it and then it just starting working as normal. Thanks for the responses and I'll post here if it comes up again.

twostep665

Jan 5, 2012
Ok the problem returned... I showed the issue to a buddy who has the same phone and it also turned out that I was missing several options on the camera. I did a factory reset and the problem persisted.

I think I found the issue... I was using Google Now Launcher. Apparently that launcher doesn't play well with the camera. I uninstalled the launcher and voila, all the features (video, zoe, dual camera,etc) are back and the camera no longer closes after taking a pic.

Anyone else want to test this theory and see if happens?

fluffhead42

Jan 4, 2015
confirmed issue and workaround

Hi there,

I can confirm that the Now launcher uses the native Google camera instead of the Zoe camera. I have also found that from the lock screen with the now launcher installed, unlocking by pulling the camera icon opens the full HTC zoe-enabled camera again. I find this super annoying as I'd like to have Google launcher and have the camera work properly. Anyone know a fix for this other than my workaround?

mikethechap

Jan 7, 2010
Texas
Ditto for T-Mobile HTC One (M7)

There's a lot I really like about the Google Launcher, but this just drives me nuts. I didn't really understand the workaround suggested here ( though I have no doubt it works). But the suggestion sounded on target. So, I went into my app list and shared it from there. It didn't do the funky stuff any more. I wonder if there's a setting to change that behavior: like someone thought, Hey, take a picture and go back to our regular programming? It's a shame because I really feel that the Google camera takes better picture.

In any case, just to let folks know that this is a real problem. The OP was on target.

Rennekae

Jul 5, 2015
To anyone else having this problem that does not use Google Now Launcher, another app that causes this is Omni Swipe. The default camera button in the tools section isn't the right camera (not sure what it's trying to access but still). If you add the correct camera app to the app section, it'll be fine.

Last edited:

jazzmebony

Mar 19, 2017
Yes, this solved my problem as well. I went back to the default launcher and now the camera is working fine