flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Geek For Me is proud to announce:

Toast's Secret Sauce

From the developers who brought Eclair (Android 2.x) to the CDMA Hero

I'm confused about this post/rom
A lot of new HeroC users out there don't even remember a 2.1 before damage got the leaked RUUs. I actually ported it to the Hero way back in November of 2009 from a copy that had been ported to the GSM Hero. Myself, toast, and a couple of others then spent MONTHS getting everything working. We started with basically nothing at all and ended up with a near fully functioning rom, through the use of real dev work. Check the older posts at http://geekfor.me/android21/ for info on the previous work. I also went ahead and made this post using the old thread so that maybe people can get some history on it.

Can you tell me more about this?
I'll be staying tight lipped for the moment but what I will say is that this is marked as a dev rom for a reason. It is not going to be a 100% functioning rom and is made more as a proof of concept, and for fun. It is not meant as a daily rom for most users.

When will this be released?
Coming soon to a phone near you. :) We're still working on hammering out some bugs, and adding some features.

And a little teaser (benchmarks) :

benchmarkpi2.png

neocore2.png

Last edited:

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
I wanna try it but am scared haha still nothing works hopefully will get it before sprint does :D

Just make a nandroid backup and you'll be fine. lol. This doesn't modify anything that could possibly brick your phone. But yea... it's pretty to look at but doesn't do anything just yet. ;) I can probably get wifi working and such but I don't know what my chances are of making it work on Sprint. I don't know if it even ties in to our radio.img at all and if it's compatible with 2.1.

5tr4t4

Nov 8, 2009
Many thanks!

I will be flashing this momentarily but wanted to ask you generally what is involved in "porting" a ROM from GSM to CDMA. My naive understanding is that 1.6 and up are GSM/CDMA capable.

And I must admit (with a developer background in many flavors of *nix, particularly the open source varieties of Linux and BSD) I'm not sure I understand why Android is so device specific. Is it the device drivers for individual hardware, the radio? Chip/CPU architecture?

Thank again for the work, I'll let you know what happens!

cteneyck

Jun 24, 2009
Dallas
Hey Flipz.

have you tried to load the modules from the 1.5 rom. ie the radio and all other pertinent modules for the cdma radoi

thezero4

Dec 4, 2007
Tried it can't get past the boot screen. Waited for a crazy long time. You didn't say to do a Nandroid backup in your post, What should I do now? Just kidding, you know it's going to seriously be asked in a couple of posts though.

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
from the sceen shots i can most likely tell what the major issue is.(i.e. 2.6.27) lol... but hell yeah man!!! thanx fixin to flash now.

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
If you wait a seriously long time and it won't boot then you likely didn't do a wipe before you flashed the update. It will fail horribly and just keep looping on the startup screen.

I haven't done a single thing yet to try and get anything working other than getting it booting. I wanted to post it up here ASAP.

thezero4

Dec 4, 2007
ah I didn't see to do a wipe, if I wipe the nandroid on the sdcard stays right? I assume it does but I'm going to copy to the copter to be safe. Thanks.

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
ok man great... it boots. it takes a minute but it boots. ur right nothing works. maybe bluetooth but all i did was scan for devices. it scanned. but i dont got a bt device. anyhow im gonna charge my phone a bit an try to debug some issues. phone is dead so i gotta wait a few. but thanx again man... good work

thezero4

Dec 4, 2007
oh yeah it booted after a wipe, I feel dumb, it's kind of cool to play arround. the two things I really wanted to see from the 2.1 where the pinch to zoom home screen trick that will zoom out and show all 7 homescreens at once. And the Landscape home screen. Oh well it's really cool to check it out on a CDMA device now after all the GSM brothers have been having fun.

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
well i do... atleast phione service. no data(ie. i can send and recieve calles

Last edited:

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
if u cant then try plugging in the usb and adb shell. thats all i did. i was doing that then my wife called and surprised the hell out of me

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
idk... i tried using teeter and the ball wouldnt move.... i think the accel is broken... bluetooth works i paired up with my wifes eris

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    boot issue,

i had the same prob with the initaial install of 2.1 i booted into recovery then did a wipe again and installed it again and boot it worked maybe try that.
    sorry if its a waste of time,

FYI

my jammed at the HTC screen where the H then the T then the C all light up form left to right mine paused at the T so i knew somthing was up.

post bak if it works i want 2.1 damn it besides it being useless as a phone i liked it, it was dumb fast and i dunno a faw bat files to add apps well be good.
    sean