The future of TrueSmart and Android Wear

Search This thread

pakalrtb

Jan 23, 2010
Roatan - Bay Islands
Just Received my TS. Although I like it I am wondering if there is any future for this device. The 6+ months delay seem like an eternity and what looked like a promising novelty is already lagging behind. And what makes me wonder is the apparent separation between the company and the first batch of users. How come that not one single bug seem to have been fixed? How come that there is still no OTA updates? Omate closed their official forum and is redirecting to xda for support, but where is Omate in this forum? And what about the possibility of switching to Android Wear, that looks like it will be the standard for this type of devices? I was a happy backer of their Kickstarter project, but at this point all I think is that I bought myself a Xmas present that was delivered at Easter!

Reactions: DaBountyHunter

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
Omate, obviously totally abandoned this project.

Rumors are thet they are preparing TS2 so TS is something that used that as a learning base...

Don't know did you followed g+ but I talked much about exactly the same problem months ago...

I said: (in December 2013): when we get TS that device will be old and many other device will be released.
We'll have expensive project that will be just overpriced and unusable...

I'm very sorry to see that but even then while community attacked me -I was right...

We'll try to give our best and try to adapt it but TS is dead and that's, unfortunately, something Omate admitted long time ago...

There's no Omate on XDA, no support, no answers or anything...

We are alone mate...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

mghtymse007

Aug 31, 2011
Omate, obviously totally abandoned this project.

Rumors are thet they are preparing TS2 so TS is something that used that as a learning base...

Don't know did you followed g+ but I talked much about exactly the same problem months ago...

I said: (in December 2013): when we get TS that device will be old and many other device will be released.
We'll have expensive project that will be just overpriced and unusable...

I'm very sorry to see that but even then while community attacked me -I was right...

We'll try to give our best and try to adapt it but TS is dead and that's, unfortunately, something Omate admitted long time ago...

There's no Omate on XDA, no support, no answers or anything...

We are alone mate...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Omate is done. They were done before they started shipping.

1. Warranty- HA! Null and void
2. OTAs, support, service- LOL
..... U get the picture....

If something goes wrong with your TS...I guess your only choice would be to contact Omeox. Omate certainly won't do anything and most likely won't be around to help. This has been their MO from the beginning. For example, the infamous BT problems and Omate's lack of dev support. This alone spelled disaster for the company and sealed the coffin for any future "free" help from the dev community. Lesson learned: ANY start-up MUST have, keep and strengthen the full support of the community devs.

And lastly, the Omate disaster has laid a major wake to future smartwatch, IGG or KS, campaigns. Its a real shame...now, for any fledgling tech trying to grab a foothold in this market, that truly has something new and innovative, will have to work twice as hard to get noticed.

All due to Rocki and LLP's lies, misleading marketing and "bait'n switch" game.

Thanks Omate!

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
While all this is definitely a shame, one bright side out of this is that I have a damn cool watch, and I paid about fair market value for it (the other Umeox watches go for similar prices). I guess I'm lucky in that mine works fine, so I don't have to deal with Omate again.

I realize that some specs have changed which kinda sucks. But I never intended to go swimming or anything with this, and the other spec changes are minor to me and don't really reflect anything in real world usage. The patch available really make this thing a good, usable, android watch phone (thanks again, Loki!). So I'm at least happy with what I got out of this whole ordeal.

Will I back anything on kickstarter (or others) again? Hell no! But at least I don't feel like I got screwed out of my money.

Mar 23, 2014
LLP was bragging on his g+ account about Omate's skills. While I think it is impressive they managed to produce a product, the fact remains that the hardware they used is debatable theirs and if what Loki has said is true, the software is Omate's main field of expertise and that in itself is of a questionable quantity.

I just do not understand Omate. I am not fussed about waterproofing and what not, but not being open about it until after the orders were taking just isn't cricket.

And then this whole lark about not having service centers in your country bla bla bla. Omate should just accept some things will break and have made back up watches to replace those which do. Those which are broken could be shipped back, repaired and resold.

The lack of anyone from Omate here seems really odd. I guess it could be a language issue but I doubt it.

What puzzles me is what did Omate expect to happen? For XDA to do all the work? For the project to develop a life of it's own?

I do think Kickstarter has lost an awful lot of credit, but I do not think the blame should be theirs. Omate just caused PR disasters one after another. Even now, the manner of the conduct online is extremely unprofessional.

Would I buy another Omate (TS2)? Most likely not. I love my TS and think it is super cool, but I want a device which will grow and has a loving community behind it. It is clear there is no love for this device now.

Unless Omate have some secret stuff going on in the background such as a huge update and a ton of new features, I don't see anything special about the Omate. I had an EC309 and with the exception of Omate's sd slot, it could do everything the TS could.

Personally, I think Neptune Pine will win people's hearts. It has had a bumpy ride but recently started being VERY open about production problems and delays. Perhaps it takes an Omate to get these Kickstarter companies to step up a notch.

I'll probably buy a Neptune Pine and other smartwatches. I don't think Omate has killed people's love for the concept, but it has left a bitter taste in many peoples mouths regarding crowd funded projects.

simple1i

Aug 3, 2009
london
Hyperthetically say if we were to developer/begin a new Smartwatch or smartwatch company. Thru market research we established that there was a massive demand for something similar to the Omate or the A.I. Watch, I.e. a mobile notification and stand alone Android with a sim card wifi, gps BT ...etc.

First we started to source the unit (as designing a new one would take too long and cost too much and it would be copied) what would be the 'do's & don'ts'?

Keep it civil pls ;) and dont say do the exact opposite of Omate... although that would probably go a long way.

Mar 23, 2014
It's more of about the way Omate managed the release rather than the product. I accept there would be issues in development.

What is odd is that the watch seems to be available to buy on their China site with no mention of it being a pre-order/ waiting God knows how long till it turns up. Does this mean that they're actively selling them now in China before sending the backers theirs?

Like their Chinese site though. At least it gives info about the company.
http://china.omate.com/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just Received my TS. Although I like it I am wondering if there is any future for this device. The 6+ months delay seem like an eternity and what looked like a promising novelty is already lagging behind. And what makes me wonder is the apparent separation between the company and the first batch of users. How come that not one single bug seem to have been fixed? How come that there is still no OTA updates? Omate closed their official forum and is redirecting to xda for support, but where is Omate in this forum? And what about the possibility of switching to Android Wear, that looks like it will be the standard for this type of devices? I was a happy backer of their Kickstarter project, but at this point all I think is that I bought myself a Xmas present that was delivered at Easter!