[PRJ]Raphael & Diamond, Japanese Input and SoftBank MMS CABs (update: 2009年3月23日)

Search This thread

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
[PRJ]Raphael & Diamond, Japanese Input and SoftBank MMS CABs (update: 2009年3月23日)

Ok, here is my first CAB project. It is a set of tools needed to enable proper Japanese text displaying, Japanese Input and SoftBank SMS/MMS system on HTC Raphael & Diamond (SoftBank models X05HT and X04HT) phones with non-Japanese ROMs.

CABs here were tested on clean WWE (English) ROMs, but there is no reason the shouldn't work on other ROMs, just make sure to uninstall other Japanese enabling software like decuma, CE-star, Askul's letsjapan... I decided to break this functionalities into three different CABs, in case someone only needs to display Japanese text, etc...

1. Displaying Japanese text

This one enables displaying of Japanese characters, like reading Japanese web pages, or using it for various Japanese dictionaries... The CAB is based on Askul's LetsJapan No6, but newer version of wince.nls taken from SoftBank Japanese X05HT 3.39.762.3 WM6.1 ROM. It should work on all devices, despite screen resolution...

LetsJapan WM6.1 r07

Update 1:

LetsJapan WM6.1 r09, Mincho (Serif) font variant. This variant will take about 10MB on your device.

2. Japanese Advanced IME

This is a new thing. It enables word prediction input in both English and Japanese, and unlike traditional WM5 & WM6 Japanese IME engines, SoftBank introduced this new IME in its newer ROMs. After installation, KeyTouch IME will become default. It only works in portrait mode, and in the case of landscape mode, IME will change to classic romaji or kana input. Kensaku and Tegaki IMEs are included. Also, settings for Japanese keyboard layout are in this CAB, so if you are using some different layout, you are on your own (there are plenty of posts around which explain how to change this). This CAB is only for VGA (480x640) devices (Planning to make QVGA version too, stay tuned)

Screen01.pngScreen02.pngScreen03.png

Japanese Advanced IME r07

3. SoftBank MMS

Finally, people, this was tough nut to crack. The CAB here should work on any english ROM, but i had time to test it only on official HTC WWE. It will also install Softbank Internet connection (opensoftbank, that will NOT be defaulted), because a special connection GUIDs are required, so it is best to install this after hard reset. Also, it's heavily integrated into system, hard-reset to uninstall...
The bad thing is that SB MMS application is in Japanese only, and integration with WWE manila / TouchFLO is poor. For that sake, i managed to adopt SoftBank's manilla, check the 4th CAB in this post.
Good thing is that SMS & Sメール works in both directions. And, tatatattaaa, in combination with my Japanese IME CAB emoticons finally work as desired!
This CAB is based on extracted ArcSoftMMS version 5.0.2.23 files from SoftBank Japanese X05HT 3.39.762.3 WM6.1 ROM.

Please report any issues you may find...

Screen11.pngScreen10.pngScreen15.pngScreen16.png

Anybody interested in helping translating some MUIs ???

SoftBank MMS r093

4. SoftBank manilla (TouchFLO 3D)

This is just a manila / TouchFLO from SoftBank, in English, to support proper integration with MMS...
(Disable TouchFLO 3D in Today settings before installing)

Screen09.png

SoftBank manilla

Disclaimer: the above CABs worked for me but I take no responsibility if you break your phone with them, get outrageous Internet bills, your girlfriend / wife suddenly starts to cheat on you or whatever... Use them at your own risk.
Also, some of the files from this CABs may be found on SoftBank X05HT / X04HT ROMs only, you may legally use these CABs only if you own these phones.

Last edited:

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville

First impressions:

• LetsJapan turns my menu text really big and spaced-out. This may be actually be a good thing for some, as it lends to finger-friendliness on smaller screens. It unfortunately cuts back on the amount of options displayed at any one time though. Check first screenshot.
  • Minor point: it also sets startup orientation as portrait

First impressions:
  • Dual text-prediction rocks.
  • It breaks SPBKeyboard4's Japanese input. There is no option to enable Japanese input anymore. This worked with previous Japanese SIPs.
  • Seems to work with original LetsJapan6.
  • Doesn't enable auto-insertion of address/number by entering a contacts name in the To: field of SMS. がっかり.

Last edited:

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
First impressions:
LetsJapan turns my menu text really big and spaced-out. This may be actually be a good thing for some, as it lends to finger-friendliness on smaller screens. It unfortunately cuts back on the amount of options displayed at any one time though. Check first screenshot.

First impressions:
Dual text-prediction rocks.

Agreed. Menu text is too big. Will try to make it smaller, when I finish playing with MMS...

tora201

Apr 11, 2007
Anybody seen this? IME 31J extracted from the Touch HD.

http://asukal.net/blog/?p=729

I actually did install it on an English Rom some time ago and it seemed to worked fine for typing/displaying Japanese as per Asukal's instructions. I can't remember if predictions worked though.

Anyway, there is a cab available from the above link.

Oh, please ignore this post if it is not relevant to this thread/or it is old information.

drewnamis

Feb 6, 2009
Wow, way to go, Zgembo! Really looking forward to testing out the fruits of your labors. :D

Looking great! I switched over to this setup. Couple bugs/problems:

1) the function keys seem to be mapped differently on my hardware keypad now. Is there any way to get it to be mapped US keyboard style?

2) how do I switch from japanese input to english input? The only way i can figure out how to do it is through making the keyboard romaji and the changing it to 英数. Is there a way to make it default to english input, and then to Japanese input only when needed?

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville
This SIP is new ground to me, so I don't know if these solutions will work, but try and give them a shot.

Looking great! I switched over to this setup. Couple bugs/problems:

1) the function keys seem to be mapped differently on my hardware keypad now. Is there any way to get it to be mapped US keyboard style?

Install Schap's Advanced Config. There should be an option to change the keyboard layout.

2) how do I switch from japanese input to english input? The only way i can figure out how to do it is through making the keyboard romaji and the changing it to 英数. Is there a way to make it default to english input, and then to Japanese input only when needed?

Search through your registry for Option3. Change the data of this reg entry from 1 to D (hexadecimal). Close registry editor, soft reset and see if that did anything.

drewnamis

Feb 6, 2009
So something happened and it broke both my HW keyboard and the software one. I could no longer choose ABC in most of the keyboards, and when typing using the HW keyboard, it would input but not show up properly on the screen. Uninstalled the J input for now. :(

tora201

Apr 11, 2007
softbank settings and mms working

Hi, since Zgembo has been quiet regarding the setting up of MMS, I thought I would share my experiences (sorry if I jumped the gun Zgembo; and also feel free to share your connection experience which may be different to mine)

MMSlite 1.1.303 works fine. See Larsuck's thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=365760

To get the Softbank connection going (which will also work with the softbank flat plan) get these files: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=298031

Install connSBM (non-proxy version) as per instructions. Then you will need a new copy of wifiwake.exe (to replace the one included in the above .zip)

Go here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=462994&highlight=wifiwake

download and copy to the /windows directory, with the out.xml from the connSBM file. Make sure you RUN the wifiwake.exe (from the windows directory after moving it there) soft-reset.

Now, after that, all should work fine with MMSlite and other things that need to connect to the softbank connection.

However, me wants to get it working with Arcsoft's MMS Composer which is included with most roms by default and is prettier than mmslite and has more features, etc, etc).

So far I have done the following:
Note: this allows for sending messages via Arcsoft's MMS Composer and not receiving so please only follow these instructions if you want to test - otherwise stick to mmslite, cause everything works)

Go to Composer --> menu --> MMS Options
Severs -->New
Server name : mailwebservice.softbank.ne.j

Gateway : sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
Port number : 8080
Server address : http://mms
Connect via : The Internet

Send Limit : 300k
WAP Version : WAP 2.0

(make this default and delete the sample one!!)

Now, edit the registry as follows:

HKLM¥Software¥Arcsoft¥ArcSoft MMS UA¥Config¥mm1
 WAP2DefaultPort : 80

HKLM¥Software¥Arcsoft¥ArcSoft MMS UA¥Config¥mm1¥MMSCSetting¥Name : mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp (make sure it has the final "j"!)

HKLM¥Software¥Arcsoft¥ArcSoft MMS UA¥Config¥mm1¥WspHeader
 Accept-Language : jp
 User-Agent : SoftBank/1.0/708SC/SCJ001 Browser/NetFront/3.3
 Accept-Charset : Shift-JIS, UTF-8, EUC-JP, ISO-2022-JP

adapted from: http://otakumaniax.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-16.html
JAPANESE LANGUAGE WARNING

Now, my dilemma: Using the above settings, it is possible to SEND mms messages using arcsoft's software, yet it refuses to RECEIVE messages. I have tried various things, yet are unable to work out how to make arcsoft receive. (It does not even connect to try and receive; it just sits there doing nothing no how many test mails I send from my gmail account)

So, if anybody can solve this, that would be great. Meanwhile, I am stuck with boring old mmslite....

Disclaimer: the above worked for me as much as I described and I take no responsibility if you should get outrageous bills for internet usage/and or you bust your phone through editing the registry.

Last edited:

Jonathan24

Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the links, Tora. As far as wifiwake is concerned, I'm just using the default AT&T rom for now, with Larsuck's connection cab posted here. Is there any difference between that and what you posted?

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville
Thanks for the links, Tora. As far as wifiwake is concerned, I'm just using the default AT&T rom for now, with Larsuck's connection cab posted here. Is there any difference between that and what you posted?

I'm pretty sure it is the same thing. WIFIwake was the program previously used to input the password contained in the SBM connection cab.

And it is RayB's cab. Not mine. I don't want to take credit (or responisbility :rolleyes: ) I just started the thread.

Benji99

Oct 19, 2008
To get the Softbank connection going (which will also work with the softbank flat plan) get these files: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=298031

Install connSBM (non-proxy version) as per instructions. Then you will need a new copy of wifiwake.exe (to replace the one included in the above .zip)

Go here:http://xdaforums.com/show...light=wifiwake

Hi, quick question regarding the data connection to softbank

I'm using an unlocked HTC Touch Pro with Softbank,
All I did to get the Softbank internet access is add the Softbank access point: open.softbank.ne.jp with the corresponding password as per this blog post.
I've been using it under the packet-hodai plan for a few months now with no problems although I'm using the 9,800yen plan and recently asked to switch to the 5,700yen plan.

Your instructions are much more complicated, what's the difference with my setup?

Thanks!

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville
Hi, quick question regarding the data connection to softbank

I'm using an unlocked HTC Touch Pro with Softbank,
All I did to get the Softbank internet access is add the Softbank access point: open.softbank.ne.jp with the corresponding password as per this blog post.
I've been using it under the packet-hodai plan for a few months now with no problems although I'm using the 9,800yen plan and recently asked to switch to the 5,700yen plan.

Your instructions are much more complicated, what's the difference with my setup?

Thanks!

Your are talking about internet access, and this thread is talking about MMS access.

Tora201 is talking about getting S!Mail (Softbank's proprietary MMS) working with Arcsoft. Arcsoft isn't built to access S!Mail, so that's why his instructions are complicated. That is also why they don't work perfectly.

Completely unrelated to S!Mail access, the cab file mentioned by Jonathan24 automatically creates the same Internet Access Protocol that your link points to. There is no significant difference between the AP this cab creates and the one you inputted by hand.

tora201

Apr 11, 2007

If Larsuck's cab works, then fine! I have not tried it. All I know that if you use the method I described then you will need the modified wifiwake. The original one was designed for the X01HT.

As for the post about the password, well -- I think everybody agreed some months ago it was not a good idea to post it around XDA - developers.

Regarding MMS, I am hoping somebody can figure out how to get the "receive" for MMS going under Arcsoft..... then we won't need mmslite anymore! (yay)

dim4x4

May 30, 2006
London
Samsung Galaxy S9
Thanks larsuck, I tried that, but my problem remained: Kensaku and Tegaki dont work. I read comments to this forum http://asukal.net/blog/?p=96 many people have same problem and there seems to be no solution. Looks like it's a problem with device memory allocation for SIPs. I tried this IME and IME from flinx1 and none of them show those two keyboards. So I was wondering if there's another IME that I can try? Zgembo said in the first post "(Planning to make QVGA version too, stay tuned)" - so I'll wait for that and maybe it will work. Or... i may try another ROM, though I really like the one I have.