Samsung MHL to HDMI Adapter not working??

Search This thread

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
apparently its the same adapter as the samsung galaxy note

Don't think so, my Note works with all my cables but the S3 doesn't. According to the MHL consortium manufacturers are able to implement proprietary connections to MHL if they wish, which bodes ill here... But hey! It might be an improved version right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008

I agree entirely. Disappointing to see Samsung go the proprietary route, very disappointing to see the MHL consortium allow that too...

It had better deliver more charge and/or allow simultaneous USB OTG connections, if there is no benefit whatsoever to consumers I'll be giving Samsung a big serve in my review...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
I'm just joking :D , I don't know the truth yet for sure... but we saw that so many times already.

But, if this is a modification to allow a 1920x1080 full desktop mode at 60Hz in the next update (the one where the phone screen becomes a touchpad with a small icon to pop-up the on-screen keyboard) I'll apology to Samsung.

And I thought we could get this feature with ICS... still not there. :(

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland
wow.. i JUST got my MHL Cable in the mail about 55 minutes ago.. i ordered it from Ebay, its an official one too.. what a freaking waste of money.. ugh

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
Wait 1 month, knock offs that work will come out.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

TwistedRat

Oct 19, 2009
Found the cause, the S3 uses MHL v2.0

Well I found out why it's not working.

The S3 uses MHL v2.0 in which the resolution out is changed to 1080p60 (HDMI 1.4b, 8 channel digital audio) and also the power has been raised from 500mA to 900mA for half the charge time. :D

So all in all these changes is good but I'm not sure if it's the MHL consortium or Samsung that made the mistake and leave out backward compatible with MHL v1.0 :confused:

FISKER_Q

Feb 25, 2009
Well I found out why it's not working.

The S3 uses MHL v2.0 in which the resolution out is changed to 1080p60 (HDMI 1.4b, 8 channel digital audio) and also the power has been raised from 500mA to 900mA for half the charge time. :D

So all in all these changes is good but I'm not sure if it's the MHL consortium or Samsung that made the mistake and leave out backward compatible with MHL v1.0 :confused:

The MHL chip in the SGS3 isn't MHL 2.0, infact as far as i can Google, Silicon Image just made the first MHL 2.0 chip less than a week ago.

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
Indeed, was just reading this ifixit article where they label it as being Silicon Image 9244.

On this chip description page they give a max 1080p@24/30 Hz which isn't anything new. :(

daneel_

Apr 2, 2009
Bad Samsung, very bad. MHL it's suppose to be a standard and every connector should be compatible. Now i must buy another MHL adapter :(

d16turbo

Mar 28, 2011
Dose any one know what mhl chip is used in the galaxy s2?

Might need some small mods on the galaxy s2 adapter to get it to work with galaxy s3.

We know the s3 uses sil9244 mhl transmitter.

Not sure what bridge is used for the adapter though.

Any inputs?

Thomas W.

Jun 5, 2012
two MHL adapters, two failures

I now bought two adapters, both don't work.
With the first one I didn't care and thought "what is good for the S2 will be fine for the S3 too".
This is the one:
ebay.com "Samsung Galaxy S II i9100 MHL Micro USB to VGA adapter(MHL hdmi + HDMI to VGA)"

Then I read about those changes and orderd a sesond one, especially advertised for the S3 too. This is the second:
amazon.de "MHL Adapter Kabel Micro USB auf HDMI für Samsung galaxy SIII"

Now I'm asking myself: is this just a wrong undertaking or am I doing something wrong and should enable this MHL functionality somewhere? In the S3 manual I found nothing.

cyberw0lf

Feb 27, 2010
i have the same problem i bought an adapter on ebay, in the insertion they say it is for galaxy s3, actually its the EIA2U version and don't work.

Anyone have tried the EPL-3FU from the samsung mobile store?

Kilian88

Feb 14, 2011
same problem here, i have the EIA2U-adapter for the Galaxy S2 and it doesn't work with the S3

Last edited:

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
Is the official SGS3 one actually working at all?
I see it's selling here in France, anyone got it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That’s really frustrating!! I guess I figured it out and it doesn’t look nice from Samsung.

I found this accessory online which is yet to be released and compatible with the S3:

Part No: EPL-3FHUBEGSTD (sorry I cant post links as im a new user and the system wont allow me, u will be able to find that part in MobileFun site )

The same older model won’t work !! it’s the same device though with an older version. Here is the old model part no. which is available in market now:

Part No: EIA1UHUNBECSTD (u can search it in the same site “MobileFun”)

So if you have your old HDTV Adapter, I guess you can’t use it with the S3. That’s BAD Samsung, really BAD :mad:

Anyway, if any 1 can figure a way to make the older model work with the S3 please post it here, as im not eager to buy a second HDTV Adapter :(:mad::(
    mhl cable

just got off phone with sammy, they told me that the s3 has more pins in its connector and that a new cable is in production, this is to give it a better screen quality, because i dont know if you noticed but the last cable on the s2 was shocking, kept flickering and what not, anyhow this new cable has better charging abilities and crisper screen, there is no known date for the official release as yet as i was told. but sammy said either purchase the allshare dongle in the mean time (yeah right) or get an unofficial cable if available at your own risk. :eek:
    Anyone know the difference between EPL-3FHUBEGSTD vs EPL-3FHUBEGSTA vs EPL-3FHUBE?
    I'm guessing it's the regions code.
    I currently have the EPL-3FHUBE and I am experiencing alot of screen flickers when watching hd movies.

From my own notes:

* EPL-3FHUBEGSTA is the 11-pin cable.
    * ETC-EIA2BEGSTA is the 5-pin cable with the 11-pin adapter tip.
    * EPL-FU10BEBSTD is the 11-pin adapter tip.

I'm not sure what the diff is between GSTA and GSTD. Only big diff I see on Samsung's site is the write up saying one is universal 11pin and one is for the S3.

EPL-3FHUBE is probably the base details.
    Some info that might help someone using these awful adapters, yes even the official ones.

Got hold of an official S4 HDTV adapter to replace my official S3 adapter (which failed, overheated and I don't trust). Put my phone into airplane mode to avoid interference and connected up... Worked for about 3 seconds and then it refused to work despite cycling the power and plugging/unplugging connections in different orders.

Fix was to connect everything up, power up the adapter and put the TV onto the correct HDMI channel, then turn TV off and back on. Finally the adapter and TV did the correct handshake and it works.

My TV is 8 years old now and only accepts 720p or 1080i so perhaps the adapter can be confused and wanted to output an unsupported signal.