I'm back -I've been absent a long while (years)

Search This thread

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
The last smart device I bought was a Dell x51v. I've never wanted a smartphone before because the x51v did everything I wanted thanks to XDA Developers, from whom I learned how to flash it to WM6.1 (yes, I donated to the developer)!!

Well, my x51v FINALLY died. It started acting up one day several weeks ago - the next day it became a brick all on its own. Now I figure it's about time to catch up ;) After all, I did get my money's worth out of that wonderful x51v :)

So, after deciding a tablet was too big for me (even a 7"), I did considerable research, and ordered an unlocked i897 :) I also ordered some dummy sims because I plan to use it only as a PDA (at first anyway) and a 32G mSDHC.

The Captivate should arrive in about a week, then I can finally start enjoying Android.

So I plan to be lurking and learning again. Thanks guys :)

Chas

Last edited:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
you'll want to read most of the links in my signature. how to flash... xda user guide.. short/one word answers..

check the stickies in the forums (hopefully you know this)

xda is available on your phone using the XDA app (free or donate) from android market, or on tapatalk forum app (many forums one app) tapatalk also has a chrome extension now to notify you of PMs on your forums too!

remember if you get it and it's not loaded with android gingerbread 2.3.X, you will need to research gingerbread bootloaders.

cheers and good luck!

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
Yep - I've been devouring stickies ever since I made my post above. I'll read your signature links, too. I've learned a lot already, and have been taking notes for reference when my new Cappy first arrives. After installing dummy sim and charging battery, the second thing on my to do list is identify OS. The first thing is to check IMIE# to make sure it's okay.

Last edited:

GFunkOfLex

Dec 28, 2010
Welcome - still have my 50v and been at xda since those days as well. Captivate has a great audience, you'll enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Reactions: cmagdanz

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
no need for a dummy sim. i have 2 captivates one with one without. no issues.

backing up IMEI info is SUPER RECOMENDED!!!
get adb (sig)
connect phone ( with usb debug mode enabled)
type
Code:
[LEFT]dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/sdext/efs.rfs[/LEFT]
go to phone internal sdcard and copy efs.rfs to computer.

after rooting (superOneClick root program), also recommended to just straight copy all files out of folder /efs/ (imei folder) to pc as well just for multiple backups multiple ways.

then feel free to carrier unlock your phone with the app " Galaxy_S unlock" from android market. it creates backups of IMEI too, since it has to play with those files, but do the other backups i recommended also.

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
remember if you get it and it's not loaded with android gingerbread 2.3.X, you will need to research gingerbread bootloaders.

my dumb cell phone is AT&T, so I planned on using it's sim card to see if I can get official AT&T upgrade to 2.3.5, which came out last month :) (but I don't have a data plan, so it probably won't work . . . worth a try though.)

I thought that might be the case, but dummies are so cheap, I ordered them (3-pack) just in case.

then feel free to carrier unlock your phone with the app " Galaxy_S unlock" from android market.

I ordered it unlocked, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
my dumb cell phone is AT&T, so I planned on using it's sim card to see if I can get official AT&T upgrade to 2.3.5, which came out last month :) (but I don't have a data plan, so it probably won't work . . . worth a try though.)

Thanks again.

ATT doesnt OTA update the captivates... they use samsung keis windows program. and it sucks balls. once you flash custom... it only sometimes works.

thats why we use the Odin One click packages to flash stock roms (or other packages) to update the phones. Captivate > Development > Stickie > Odin One Click Master Collection (ATT). stock rom flashes that can be done at any time with any windows PC. you can even choose versions that are pre-rooted and have CWM installed!!
NOTE: stock sucks too!.. of course try it out.. see what gingerbread is... then get ready to get bored and jealous of everyone else and their fancy features...

CWM lets you flash things on the phone from the phone.
Odin lets you flash different packages (of same stuff) from PC.there are 2 odins. odin One-Clicks.. pre-packaged. one button.. click it.
and odin flasher.. you can choose what and where to flash files on the phone from pc

with a couple extra button presses at boot, you can boot into the CWM flasher to install full roms/ mods/ kernels or modems before android boots!~
On samsung galaxy phones we are usually able to build CWM into the kernel. (Captivate always) so IGNORE anything you read about using Rom Manager to get CWM *outdated/not needed for us*

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
I have lots more reading & learning to do. After all, the Captivate will be my first Linux/Android device. It will be a week before it arrives, so I'll keep on reading - I'm still learning the acronyms.

Thanks especially for the heads up about Kies!!

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
no prob. my cappy was my first android/linux experience too. january 12 last year, found xda by the end of the month..

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro

Be careful about putting your SIM into a smartphone without a data package. ATT has been known to just automatically add in a data plan for you.

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
After some studying, I created a tentative plan for my new Captivate when it arrives. Keeping my goals in mind, and remembering this is my first Linux and Android experience, would you please review and comment on my plan, and maybe provide some one-words to help me out where necessary?

Goals:
Use phone only as a PDA
Backup stock ROM
install Gingerbread 2.3.5
delete bloat
tryout some added apps
use PDA for awhile (weeks)
consider upgrading to an XDA HC or ICS ROM

Tentative procedure upon receiving phone:
-DO NOT install sim
-DO NOT mount mmSD card
-Charge battery fully
-identify OS installed
-root phone with SuperOneClick v2.3.3
-backup phone
-unroot phone
-play around with phone - get familiar with it
-root phone
-install ODIN One Click 2.3.5 with BL (post#2) and CWM Injected Kernel from Boog (i897UCKI2) - I bought the phone unlocked, so I don't really know what BL it has.
-install ROM Manager to allow easy boot into CWM
-delete bloat/unwanted apps
-mount mmSD
-tryout apps; enjoy new PDA

TIA

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
Be careful about putting your SIM into a smartphone without a data package. ATT has been known to just automatically add in a data plan for you.

I am concerned about this. My dumb phone is an AT&T GoPhone, and the AT&T clerk told me AT&T no longer requires GoPhone customers with smartphones to buy a data package. But Captivate is not one of their GoPhone choices . . . so I wonder . . . I guess I'll find out some day when I'm ready.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
After some studying, I created a tentative plan for my new Captivate when it arrives. Keeping my goals in mind, and remembering this is my first Linux and Android experience, would you please review and comment on my plan, and maybe provide some one-words to help me out where necessary?

Goals:
Use phone only as a PDA
Backup stock ROM
delete bloat
tryout some added apps

-DO NOT install sim
-DO NOT mount mmSD card
-Charge battery fully
-identify OS installed
-backup phone
-unroot phone
-root phone
-install ODIN One Click 2.3.5 with BL (post#2) and CWM Injected Kernel from Boog (i897UCKI2) - I bought the phone unlocked, so I don't really know what BL it has.
-mount mmSD

TIA

there is no reason to un-root phone unless taking in for warranty work. (no warranty anyway).

Rom Manager is SUPER OUTDATED FOR CAPTIVATE. and is NOT for kernels with CWM built into it.
easy way to get into cwm is the 3 button combo. hold both volume before holding power to turn on. keep all 3 held for 5 seconds.custom roms have an option in the power menu to reboot to cwm, or just reboot, ect.. hands down the best way to get into cwm. and one the the most commonly added features to ANY custom rom.

there are many ways to "backup" your phone:
- full system dumps via ADB (can be done on any phone/ not that common on captivate)
- full nandroid backups inside CWM recovery (super common and best back-up/restore utility)
- application/settings backup via titanium backup [root app] GREAT for restoring your apps with all their settings, your contacts, alarms, desktop settings, user dictionary, ect between different roms!!

i have never ended up needing my first stock backup of "before i screwed around". thats what the odin one clicks are for. take you back to that stock point.

HOWEVER!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND BACKING UP YOUR EFS folder. search backing up efs. adb method the best. efs stores your IMEI. you dont want this to ever get corrupt without a backup!!!

KI2 stock is alright but older.. but there werent many newer choices with cwm already, so i am making a KK4 with bootloaders and corn CWM kernel for you. uploading now.

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
Thanks so much. I had not realized how critical IMIE data was until I just read about backing it up!! You had mentioned it before, but it didn't sink in until now.

And a KK4 for me, what service! Thanks.

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
My new Cappy arrived this morning!!

yesterday I installed it's drivers and Android SDK_r16_windows on my Win7PC.
today I charged it's battery to 100% then rooted it with SuperOneClick v2.3.3 (worked great on the first try)
then I backedup EFS as tar to my PC with EFS Pro v1.2.6 (tried first to backup to PC as img, but it locked up twice. then I tried tar; failed the first time, and success the second time)

Now I will play around with it :)

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
Hiccup: My VolumeUp button is nonfunctional. Now I know why 3-button boot doesn't work. So, I got RMA from Samsung, unrooted the phone, did factory reset, and will mail it in for warranty repair.

2/23 PS: it's mailed.
2/28 PS: it arrived at Samsung Service Center in Plano, TX
3/02 PS: it shipped from Plano repaired & updated

Last edited:

cmagdanz

Aug 18, 2007
My Captivate arrived again today. Samsung updated the ROM from 2.2 to 2.3.5 and repaired the volume switch under warranty.

But now SuperOneClick v2.3.3 won't root the phone (it worked with 2.2). It freezes on step 7 just like it does for the myriad of commentors on shortfuse.

Any Ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you'll want to read most of the links in my signature. how to flash... xda user guide.. short/one word answers..

check the stickies in the forums (hopefully you know this)

xda is available on your phone using the XDA app (free or donate) from android market, or on tapatalk forum app (many forums one app) tapatalk also has a chrome extension now to notify you of PMs on your forums too!

cheers and good luck!

Goals:
    Use phone only as a PDA
    Backup stock ROM
    delete bloat
    tryout some added apps

-DO NOT install sim
    -DO NOT mount mmSD card
    -Charge battery fully
    -identify OS installed
    -backup phone
    -unroot phone
    -root phone
    -mount mmSD

TIA

there is no reason to un-root phone unless taking in for warranty work. (no warranty anyway).

Rom Manager is SUPER OUTDATED FOR CAPTIVATE. and is NOT for kernels with CWM built into it.
    easy way to get into cwm is the 3 button combo. hold both volume before holding power to turn on. keep all 3 held for 5 seconds.custom roms have an option in the power menu to reboot to cwm, or just reboot, ect.. hands down the best way to get into cwm. and one the the most commonly added features to ANY custom rom.

there are many ways to "backup" your phone:
    - full system dumps via ADB (can be done on any phone/ not that common on captivate)
    - full nandroid backups inside CWM recovery (super common and best back-up/restore utility)
    - application/settings backup via titanium backup [root app] GREAT for restoring your apps with all their settings, your contacts, alarms, desktop settings, user dictionary, ect between different roms!!

i have never ended up needing my first stock backup of "before i screwed around". thats what the odin one clicks are for. take you back to that stock point.

HOWEVER!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND BACKING UP YOUR EFS folder. search backing up efs. adb method the best. efs stores your IMEI. you dont want this to ever get corrupt without a backup!!!

KI2 stock is alright but older.. but there werent many newer choices with cwm already, so i am making a KK4 with bootloaders and corn CWM kernel for you. uploading now.
    Welcome - still have my 50v and been at xda since those days as well. Captivate has a great audience, you'll enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

backing up IMEI info is SUPER RECOMENDED!!!
    get adb (sig)
    connect phone ( with usb debug mode enabled)
    type
    Code:
    [LEFT]dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/sdext/efs.rfs[/LEFT]
    go to phone internal sdcard and copy efs.rfs to computer.

after rooting (superOneClick root program), also recommended to just straight copy all files out of folder /efs/ (imei folder) to pc as well just for multiple backups multiple ways.

then feel free to carrier unlock your phone with the app " Galaxy_S unlock" from android market. it creates backups of IMEI too, since it has to play with those files, but do the other backups i recommended also.