Pantech Burst Essentials (Not Maintained)

Search This thread

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Sorry to all but I just don't have the time to maintain this thread like I used to
You can check out http://forum.gizmolord.com/android-modding/pantech-burst-quick-guides/ as that seems to be a pretty nice arrangement of Burst stuff.
If anyone wants to use the guides I wrote up in a different thread, please feel free to do so.

I did not develop any of the following root, CWM, or Stock ROMs. I just wrote up the instructions and am using this thread to organize current and hopefully future development to make it easier to locate needed files and instructions to use the files.

No need to thank me. Thank those that really deserve it, the devs
Thanks!: jcase, Attn1, IOMonster, and any others I may have missed

Let me know if there is any suggestions to improve the instructions or if something is not clear, if there is something I may have missed, or especially if there is someone else that should be thanked.

*Note: My computer is Windows 7 64bit, directories will be different on 32bit Windows. I have no idea how to do this on Linux but if someone does know how, please feel free to add instructions to this thread or PM me the instructions and I will edit my post to include them and will acknowledge that you wrote them.

*I am not responsible nor are any of the devs responsible for any lost data or bricked devices. Follow at your own risk and be sure to Back up your data before doing anything.

Last edited:

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Prep Work

Setup Pantech Burst drivers on Windows computer
1-Download and install Pantech PC Suite
2-Launch Pantech PC Suite and update if it asks. When PC Suite is fully updated, plug phone into computer until device is recognized.

Alternative: Download and Install Drivers with [USB_Driver]PSMN_Install_V1_1_0_0.exe (Mirror)
*Note: I have not used this method so I am not sure if it works

Setup Windows computer so you can send commands to phone
1-Download and install Java Development Kit from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
2-Download and install Android SDK from developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2-Start SDK Manager and check the box next to “Android SDK Platform-tools” and install package.

Setting up Linux for ADB to recognize Pantech Burst *Thanks jackattack79

[HOW-TO] using fastboot on mac os X *Thanks aed0101 for the how to

Setup phone so it can receive commands from computer
Go to settings > Applications > Development > turn on USB Debugging

Last edited:

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Root & CWM

FOR GINGERBREAD
Root phone
1-Download prestoroot.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
2-Now open your command line and navigate it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools” folder
3-Run the following command
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4-When the bootloader screen shows up on your phone then wait a few seconds to make sure your phone is recognized by the computer then run the following command
Code:
 fastboot boot prestoroot.img
5-After phone reboots itself, shut the phone down and turn it back on again.
6-When the phone boots up this time, download Superuser from Google Play

Install ClockWorkMod
1-Download cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
2-Now open your command line and navigate it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools” folder
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4-When the bootloader screen shows up on your phone then wait a few seconds to make sure your phone is recognized by the computer then run the following commands
Code:
fastboot flash recovery cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img
fastboot reboot
5-To access CWM, hold the volume down button while powering device on
6-To use CWM, Volume up and down will scroll up and down and Power button will select

FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
CWM & Root

Last edited:

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
UnRoot (Revert back to stock)

FOR GINGERBREAD May not work if you have updated to ICS. I have not tried. Let me know if you do try though
*You will need both Stock ROM and Stock Recovery to apply OTA update when/if they are released
**Restoring these will most likely wipe your data so be sure to backup first!!!

Restore stock ROM with CWM
1-Download one of the following zipped backup:
Presto-GRJ90_11282011.zip (mirror) (original firmware)
JUUS03122012.zip (mirror) (1st stock update)
JUUS06252012.zip (mirror) (2nd stock update, newest)
2-extract zip to the "/sdcard/external_sd/clockworkmod/backup/"*
3-If you have CWM installed on phone, boot into CWM and skip to step 7*
4-If you don't have CWM installed, Download cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
5-open your command line and navigate it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools” folder
6-Run the following commands
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img
7-backup and restore > restore > select backup to restore > Yes – Restore
8-You may need to do a “wipe data/factory reset”, “wipe cache partition”, and Wipe Dalvik Cache” to get OTA updates that AT&T/Pantech push out.
9-reboot system now

Stock recovery
*Recovering to Stock ROM via CWM does not restore Stock recovery. Here is how to restore Stock Recovery.
1-Download recovery.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4-When the bootloader screen shows up on your phone then wait a few seconds to make sure your phone is recognized by the computer then run the following commands
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

Alternative method for stock JUUS03122012 and Recovery:
1-Download PANTECH_PRESTO_BIN_JUUS03122012.pdl (mirror)
2-Download P9070_Download_Tool_v3.3.zip (mirror) and extract it
3-Boot phone into Emergency Download Mode - With device off, press and hold power + Volume Up + Volume Down
4-Execute P9070_Download.exe
5-Select “Open File” and select the PANTECH_PRESTO_BIN_JUUS03122012.pdl file
6-Select “Reload File”
7-Select Download
8-Just select the default location for the XML log file
*I had to do this twice as it failed the first time and the second time it was successfull

FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
Burst's Upgrade to ICS (mirror)

Last edited:

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Customization

ROMs
Gizmolord
CM9 ROM - Still a lot not working on it but it does boot which is awesome. Looks like we should thank jznomoney for building this ROM and whoever leaked this ROM. *Install via CWM using the "Install zip from storage" option. May want to do a full wipe and a dalvik wipe before booting into it.

MODs
[MOD] HULU Flash Hack - Flashex - Thanks NoSudo
[MOD] Pantech Burst - Native Hotspot/Tethering Enabled (Root) - Thanks lost_
[APK] Seeder entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction

Customizing
UOT Kitchen: You will need framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from your phone

Check for Stock Updates more than once a day
Settings > Manage Applications > All > AT&T software update > Clear data > OK
Go back to Settings > AT&T software update > Back > AT&T software update > Check for update

Last edited:

kagedws6

Nov 5, 2008
Mullica Hill, NJ
Partition List for the Burst - Thanks to Davepmer

mmcblk0p1 /firmware
mmcblk0p8 /boot
mmcblk0p13 /system
mmcblk0p14 /data
mmcblk0p15 /persist
mmcblk0p16 /cache
mmcblk0p17 /tombstones
mmcblk0p18 /recovery
mmcblk0p19 /etc/firmware/misc_mdm

mmcblk0p27 /mnt/sdcard

mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Cool Apps

Sony Panaramic Beta Cam app (verfied works with Pantech Burst because I've been playing with it making cubicle views all day :p)
Holo Launcher (for those who want the ICS launcher now!)

Burst Related Links

Pantech Burst Love, Anyone? Anyone?
Pantech Burst Essentials (You are here now)
Pantech Burst Port in Progress
Cyanogen-presto

Last edited:

tekdemon

Oct 17, 2009
FYI guys the JUUS03122012.zip file seems to be corrupt-there's no way to open it as a zip (I tried with 7-zip as well as windows explorer on multiple downloads). Does anybody have a working version of this file since Pantech isn't pushing it out?

Reactions: marcusmarcus

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Reactions: kagedws6

kagedws6

Nov 5, 2008
Mullica Hill, NJ
OK, that is fixed now. I uploaded all the files through a web browser and that way seems to corrupt the files. I uploaded all the files through the drop box client on my computer now so they should all be working.
I also cleaned up the unrooting section and added the cwm backup for the latest update that was pushed out.

I went ahead and pointed the similar consolidated thread I started to this one because yours is done way cleaner and its more up to date :)

ronricoviper

Jul 31, 2008
I noticed that the cm9 file under the ROMS link was updated 4 days ago, any major changes yo those version? Also, thank you to all who is making this possible.

J

jackattack79

Root phone
1-Download prestoroot.img and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4-When the bootloader screen shows up on your phone then wait a few seconds to make sure your phone is recognized by the computer then run the following command
Code:

Install ClockWorkMod
1-Download cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fastboot reboot
6-To use CWM, Volume up and down will scroll up and down and Power button will select

Since people are already in the command line you might as well just place a command for "adb reboot" here.

Great job with this post by the way. Just a suggestion for people new to all of this. Not to mention, the more they work from the command line the more they will become comfortable with it.

aed0101

Feb 6, 2011
Just a warning. By flashing a full PDL file you are risking to brick your device in case something goes wrong, as PDL file flashes bootloader and radio.
Use it only if nothing else works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root & CWM

FOR GINGERBREAD
    Root phone
    1-Download prestoroot.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:

Install ClockWorkMod
    1-Download cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
    CWM & Root
    Sorry to all but I just don't have the time to maintain this thread like I used to
    You can check out http://forum.gizmolord.com/android-modding/pantech-burst-quick-guides/ as that seems to be a pretty nice arrangement of Burst stuff.
    If anyone wants to use the guides I wrote up in a different thread, please feel free to do so.

I did not develop any of the following root, CWM, or Stock ROMs. I just wrote up the instructions and am using this thread to organize current and hopefully future development to make it easier to locate needed files and instructions to use the files.

No need to thank me. Thank those that really deserve it, the devs
    Thanks!: jcase, Attn1, IOMonster, and any others I may have missed

Let me know if there is any suggestions to improve the instructions or if something is not clear, if there is something I may have missed, or especially if there is someone else that should be thanked.

*Note: My computer is Windows 7 64bit, directories will be different on 32bit Windows. I have no idea how to do this on Linux but if someone does know how, please feel free to add instructions to this thread or PM me the instructions and I will edit my post to include them and will acknowledge that you wrote them.

*I am not responsible nor are any of the devs responsible for any lost data or bricked devices. Follow at your own risk and be sure to Back up your data before doing anything.
    UnRoot (Revert back to stock)

FOR GINGERBREAD May not work if you have updated to ICS. I have not tried. Let me know if you do try though
    *You will need both Stock ROM and Stock Recovery to apply OTA update when/if they are released
    **Restoring these will most likely wipe your data so be sure to backup first!!!

Restore stock ROM with CWM
    1-Download one of the following zipped backup:
    Presto-GRJ90_11282011.zip (mirror) (original firmware)
    JUUS03122012.zip (mirror) (1st stock update)
    JUUS06252012.zip (mirror) (2nd stock update, newest)
    2-extract zip to the "/sdcard/external_sd/clockworkmod/backup/"*
    3-If you have CWM installed on phone, boot into CWM and skip to step 7*
    4-If you don't have CWM installed, Download cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
    5-open your command line and navigate it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools” folder
    6-Run the following commands
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img
    7-backup and restore > restore > select backup to restore > Yes – Restore
    8-You may need to do a “wipe data/factory reset”, “wipe cache partition”, and Wipe Dalvik Cache” to get OTA updates that AT&T/Pantech push out.
    9-reboot system now

Stock recovery
    *Recovering to Stock ROM via CWM does not restore Stock recovery. Here is how to restore Stock Recovery.
    1-Download recovery.img (mirror) and save it to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot

Alternative method for stock JUUS03122012 and Recovery:
    1-Download PANTECH_PRESTO_BIN_JUUS03122012.pdl (mirror)
    2-Download P9070_Download_Tool_v3.3.zip (mirror) and extract it
    3-Boot phone into Emergency Download Mode - With device off, press and hold power + Volume Up + Volume Down
    4-Execute P9070_Download.exe
    5-Select “Open File” and select the PANTECH_PRESTO_BIN_JUUS03122012.pdl file
    6-Select “Reload File”
    7-Select Download
    8-Just select the default location for the XML log file
    *I had to do this twice as it failed the first time and the second time it was successfull

FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
    Prep Work

Setup Pantech Burst drivers on Windows computer
    1-Download and install Pantech PC Suite
    2-Launch Pantech PC Suite and update if it asks. When PC Suite is fully updated, plug phone into computer until device is recognized.

Alternative: Download and Install Drivers with [USB_Driver]PSMN_Install_V1_1_0_0.exe (Mirror)
    *Note: I have not used this method so I am not sure if it works

Setup Windows computer so you can send commands to phone
    1-Download and install Java Development Kit from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
    2-Download and install Android SDK from developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    2-Start SDK Manager and check the box next to “Android SDK Platform-tools” and install package.

Setting up Linux for ADB to recognize Pantech Burst *Thanks jackattack79

[HOW-TO] using fastboot on mac os X *Thanks aed0101 for the how to

Setup phone so it can receive commands from computer
    Go to settings > Applications > Development > turn on USB Debugging
    Customization

ROMs
    Gizmolord
    CM9 ROM - Still a lot not working on it but it does boot which is awesome. Looks like we should thank jznomoney for building this ROM and whoever leaked this ROM. *Install via CWM using the "Install zip from storage" option. May want to do a full wipe and a dalvik wipe before booting into it.

MODs
    [MOD] HULU Flash Hack - Flashex - Thanks NoSudo
    [MOD] Pantech Burst - Native Hotspot/Tethering Enabled (Root) - Thanks lost_
    [APK] Seeder entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction

Customizing
    UOT Kitchen: You will need framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from your phone

Check for Stock Updates more than once a day
    Settings > Manage Applications > All > AT&T software update > Clear data > OK
    Go back to Settings > AT&T software update > Back > AT&T software update > Check for update