Dark Dialer - Contacts - Mms (T-Mobile Style) 07/23

Search This thread

gadget!

Sep 15, 2009
Boise, Idaho
www.kooldezine.com
Ok guys, go easy on me. This is my first real attempt at theming anything major on the S4.

Last updated 07/23/2013 - Fixed colors in mms and mms send button text.

This is for the Verizon S4 VRUAMDK

For Dialers that will work with ME7 go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2438904

This is for Deodexed roms...
Note: Several users have had success installing this on odexed roms by simply renaming or deleting the odex files for the apps installed:
SecContacts.odex
SecPhone.odex
SecMms.odex

I hate the white dialer and have noticed from the many posts here I'm not the only one.
I didn't want totally blacked out apps but just didn't want white.
So here is what I came up with:

• Dialer themed after the T-Mobile S4
  • Got rid of the cartoon looking blank contact (there may be some lingering that are pulled from framework files)
  • Mms emos changed with mostly yellow smileys.
  • Mms Widget themed (semi-transparent backgrond)

Probably more, I have been working on this for 3 weeks now. I thought Sense was hard to theme.
Touchwiz makes Sense look easy :D

Thanks to prsterero and Gunthermic for helping me find some of the color locations.

Enough banter...

Dialer.png

contacts.png

mms.png

As usual, I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have. I recommend a full nand backup before flashing any mods.
Due to the nature of custom roms there is no way for me to know what has and hasn't been customized. This and all of my other mods should only be flashed after doing a backup in case things don't work the way it's expected.

These mods have been tested on several roms before posted but that is no guarantee that they will work on every rom out there.

This will replace SecPhone.apk, SecContacts.apk, and SecMms.apk
It will not modify or alter your framework-res.apk or your SystemUI.apk

Flash in recovery...
Download link: DarkPhoneContactsMms.zip
MD5: 964919976980E10E3F6E33994BF9DF78

Download link (Phone and Contacts only): DarkPhoneContacts.zip
MD5: 8BD27A9A738150DCE0D3C6B5AE11D31D

Revert Download Link: DarkPhoneContactsMms_Revert.zip
MD5: abc30aa2aa8145713db898c36294ee75

Last edited:

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
This is exactly what I wanted.

Flash in recovery, I assume?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: gadget!

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
Yes, I edited the post and added that to it :D

No go. :(

Booted into TWRP, flashed, wiped caches, rebooted and phone process kept fCing. No phone, contacts, or messenger icons in drawer.

Back to TWRP, fixed permissions, same result.

Flashed revert, and all is fine.

I'm on stock, rooted MDK.

Off to bed, I'll check back in the AM.

Thanks!

jeepin05

Jun 11, 2013
Themeing

I don't mean to thread hijack here but I was wondering if you could point me to a good resource with instructions on themeing apps?

What you have done look fantastic, and I can't wait to try it out. There are just a few small tweaks that I would like to make but to want to ask you take your time to do them (personally I prefer the green android smiley's). I would love to figure out how to do this myself. I'm pretty much starting from ground zero here so a "for dummies" guide would probably be in order.

Thanks again for the work you've done and for sharing it with us!

gandhidog

Mar 10, 2013
Looks great!

Question: I'm only interested in the phone theme because I'm using the aosp messaging app. If i remove secmms.apk from the zip and flash, will that theme just the dialer and contacts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

snagg641

May 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would also like to see a version without the messaging app. Other than that, flash worked like a charm on Cleanrom 1.6.5. Love the dark dialer, but am not a fan of the blacked out messaging app.

gadget!

Sep 15, 2009
Boise, Idaho
www.kooldezine.com

Booted into TWRP, flashed, wiped caches, rebooted and phone process kept fCing. No phone, contacts, or messenger icons in drawer.

Thanks!

I added an MD5 to the OP, check to make sure yours matches.
I have only tried this on "Jelly Beans" but the phone, contacts, and mms are based off the stock rom.

I know others have flashed it and it is working for them, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on stock rooted.

Again, I am running Jelly Beans but just to make sure the upload was good I downloaded it from the link in the OP and flashed and all worked fine for me.

Looks great!

Question: I'm only interested in the phone theme because I'm using the aosp messaging app. If i remove secmms.apk from the zip and flash, will that theme just the dialer and contacts?

That would work.

I would also like to see a version without the messaging app. Other than that, flash worked like a charm on Cleanrom 1.6.5. Love the dark dialer, but am not a fan of the blacked out messaging app.
Just remove the Mms apk from the zip file and flash, that should get you what you want.

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
I have only tried this on "Jelly Beans" but the phone, contacts, and mms are based off the stock rom.

I know others have flashed it and it is working for them, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on stock rooted.

Again, I am running Jelly Beans but just to make sure the upload was good I downloaded it from the link in the OP and flashed and all worked fine for me.

Thanks, MD5 checks out.

I remembered I have an xposed module applied to the phone to enable call recording, maybe that's the conflict? I'll try removing that module and flash again.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Worked perfectly this time! Brilliant, great work!

avid.aria

Aug 24, 2010
NYC
Awesome

Thanks for this, I am running jellybeans and this looks awesome.

On another note: what is the signla bar and 4G icon theme that you are using ?

gadget!

Sep 15, 2009
Boise, Idaho
www.kooldezine.com
Looks great!

Added Phone and Contacts only zip file to OP

jscarano

Jun 1, 2010
Orlando Fl
I tried this and it worked great but when I apply RIT Icon theme it fc's the phone like crazy. Sucks that it wont work with it. :(

edit: I guess I found a workaround. I just flashed revert and then flashed the dark version and it seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:

gandhidog

Mar 10, 2013
Tried flashing this with interesting results...

I'm running sacs v4, which comes with the call recording mod. I flashed the dialer/contacts zip and it looked great, but it removed the call recording. No problem, I figured I would just flash the call recording mod that works with themed phone on top.

Booted up, and no service! Then I get an error message saying my sim card had been removed! Nope! Restored a nandroid, and haven't messed with it since. If I get this to work then I will let you know gadget. The theme looks really great, I love it but I prefer call recording to aesthetics.

shindiggity

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego
So I flashed and my phone, contracts and messaging app were gone? What did I do wrong.

I think it's because im running black everything out mod.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys, go easy on me. This is my first real attempt at theming anything major on the S4.

Last updated 07/23/2013 - Fixed colors in mms and mms send button text.

This is for the Verizon S4 VRUAMDK

For Dialers that will work with ME7 go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2438904

This is for Deodexed roms...
    Note: Several users have had success installing this on odexed roms by simply renaming or deleting the odex files for the apps installed:
    SecContacts.odex
    SecPhone.odex
    SecMms.odex

I hate the white dialer and have noticed from the many posts here I'm not the only one.
    I didn't want totally blacked out apps but just didn't want white.
    So here is what I came up with:

• Dialer themed after the T-Mobile S4
    • Got rid of the cartoon looking blank contact (there may be some lingering that are pulled from framework files)
    • Mms emos changed with mostly yellow smileys.
    • Mms Widget themed (semi-transparent backgrond)

Probably more, I have been working on this for 3 weeks now. I thought Sense was hard to theme.
    Touchwiz makes Sense look easy :D

Thanks to prsterero and Gunthermic for helping me find some of the color locations.

Enough banter...

Dialer.png

contacts.png

mms.png

As usual, I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have. I recommend a full nand backup before flashing any mods.
    Due to the nature of custom roms there is no way for me to know what has and hasn't been customized. This and all of my other mods should only be flashed after doing a backup in case things don't work the way it's expected.

These mods have been tested on several roms before posted but that is no guarantee that they will work on every rom out there.

This will replace SecPhone.apk, SecContacts.apk, and SecMms.apk
    It will not modify or alter your framework-res.apk or your SystemUI.apk

Flash in recovery...
    Download link: DarkPhoneContactsMms.zip
    MD5: 964919976980E10E3F6E33994BF9DF78

Download link (Phone and Contacts only): DarkPhoneContacts.zip
    MD5: 8BD27A9A738150DCE0D3C6B5AE11D31D

Revert Download Link: DarkPhoneContactsMms_Revert.zip
    MD5: abc30aa2aa8145713db898c36294ee75
    This is exacly what i have been looking for since this phone came out. the only thing i see is that in the mms apk that the text is a light blue not white..
    Fixed - updated downloads in OP

I love the colors only thing I don't like the send button on mms is very difficult to see.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I agree, I was going to ask as well if there is any way the "Send" button could be... more prominent. It's almost invisible in the MMS app.

Thanks a ton!

Thanks!

Looks great!

That would work.

Just remove the Mms apk from the zip file and flash, that should get you what you want.
    Any chance of getting this on NC5 (4.4)?
    Works great on Hyperdrive RLS 6! Love your work gadget!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium