Need quick advice for stolen device

Search This thread

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
So I bought one earlier this week. I get the notice that it was delivered to front door. I go home quickly only to find it wasn't there. Chalked it up to the contractors working in our complex most likely stole it. Filed a claim with amazon, got a new one deliverd to amazon locker. All is good. Tonight I get home and I see the manual for the unit on my kitchen table. I run and doubl check that it didn't fall out of the box of my new device. Nope. So I send a picture and ask my roomate where it came from. She claims her son just got one a couple weeks ago and she's been looking all over for it so she can return it to his house. So now I fire up a network scanner. I see 2 samsung devices with very similar Mac addresses(one of them being my new device). The names are generic so I can't go off of those. So here is the question, can I get samsung to tell me the serial number based on the MAC address? I'm hoping amazon records serial numbers so I can call her thieving a$$ out.

I have tried connecting via wifi direct and Bluetooth, she must have those off. Any ideas?

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
Actually if anyone can post the first 4 columns of their MAC address I would like to confirm if other notes are close. Basically the first 4 sets of numbers match on both devices. The last 2 sets differ.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
The box should have the IMEI number if its a 3g/4g version. Other than tha you could try android device manager if you activated that on the tablet... It will, if connected to the net, allow you to ring the call tone, wipe and lock the device with a password....

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
The only other way would be to contact the seller, they might have the serial number on file for warranty purposes, otherwise you return any tablet and then resell on ebay....
The mac address is 00:E3:B2:C2:XX:XX for my 4G P605...

foo

Feb 2, 2005
Bavaria
So I bought one earlier this week. I get the notice that it was delivered to front door. I go home quickly only to find it wasn't there. Chalked it up to the contractors working in our complex most likely stole it. Filed a claim with amazon, got a new one deliverd to amazon locker. All is good. Tonight I get home and I see the manual for the unit on my kitchen table. I run and doubl check that it didn't fall out of the box of my new device. Nope. So I send a picture and ask my roomate where it came from. She claims her son just got one a couple weeks ago and she's been looking all over for it so she can return it to his house. So now I fire up a network scanner. I see 2 samsung devices with very similar Mac addresses(one of them being my new device). The names are generic so I can't go off of those. So here is the question, can I get samsung to tell me the serial number based on the MAC address? I'm hoping amazon records serial numbers so I can call her thieving a$$ out.

I have tried connecting via wifi direct and Bluetooth, she must have those off. Any ideas?
I don't know if I understood you right. So your roommate (or her son) stole your Galaxy Note and her son is living in the same building while she is sharing an apartment with you? If that is the case, I'd try to get a look at the stolen device by asking your roommate by an excuse. You could say that your device is probably defective, because your screen seems yellow-ish and you'd like to compare it to her sons device - should not be a big deal, if he is living in the same building.
Once you have it, you can look at the backside of the Note, where the serial is printed (it's also available in the menu).
Before you do that, you should contact Amazon about the serial ID. I know they print it on the delivery note, so they sure have this information in their system.

I highly doubt that Samsung will hand out the serial number for a given MAC address.

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
I don't know if I understood you right. So your roommate (or her son) stole your Galaxy Note and her son is living in the same building while she is sharing an apartment with you? If that is the case, I'd try to get a look at the stolen device by asking your roommate by an excuse. You could say that your device is probably defective, because your screen seems yellow-ish and you'd like to compare it to her sons device - should not be a big deal, if he is living in the same building.
Once you have it, you can look at the backside of the Note, where the serial is printed (it's also available in the menu).
Before you do that, you should contact Amazon about the serial ID. I know they print it on the delivery note, so they sure have this information in their system.

I highly doubt that Samsung will hand out the serial number for a given MAC address.

Sorry man was typing from my phone. Her son does not live there. She claims that the manual I found belonged to him and came over a few weeks ago to show it off(the tablet) but left the manual at our house. I'm trying to get her to fess up to the mystery samsung device on our network but she's denying it still. I sent her screenshots of everything logged into our router.

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh

May be you are just over thinking it.

What kind of people are the accused, are they always strapped for cash, have they ever talked about doing shady things in the past, are they a gadget freak, do they do drugs.

If you say yes to 3 or more of the above......Mat be they did do it.??

You know by asking vendor to many questions you may end up having to turn them in to avoid the vendor and or the police from looking at you for this. They may say you did get it and sold it to them. The vendor may have already went to Samsung to see if it was registered and to who. Ask the suspect if they registered it and if they got all of the perks? And why not if they didn't.

You are between a rock and a hard place....... You almost have to go to the police with your theory.

Last edited:

anthropoidape

Sep 12, 2011
Sorry man was typing from my phone. Her son does not live there. She claims that the manual I found belonged to him and came over a few weeks ago to show it off(the tablet) but left the manual at our house. I'm trying to get her to fess up to the mystery samsung device on our network but she's denying it still. I sent her screenshots of everything logged into our router.

So am I understanding correctly... the second device is still in your custody, but now you are pretty sure that your room-mate stole the first one?

It's impossible to say from here obviously but if I understand what you've written correctly then I can see why you're a bit suspicious.

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
So am I understanding correctly... the second device is still in your custody, but now you are pretty sure that your room-mate stole the first one?

It's impossible to say from here obviously but if I understand what you've written correctly then I can see why you're a bit suspicious.

Yes, that is correct. She owns an iphone and I have never seen that samsung device when I used fing or the linksys router software. I check every week or so to make sure no one is leeching our internet. And what are the chances 3 days after the package disappears a user manual shows up on the kitchen table that supposedly belongs to her son who is honestly never there. I have only seen him there once in the past year. 2 weeks she supposedly has been looking for this user manual yet all she had to do was look on the kitchen table.

shoresteve626

Aug 20, 2010
Personally, I think the OP was quite clear in the order of events. I work as an investigator and an interviewer. The randomness of your roommates son buying the same exact (and very expensive) tablet that most people don't own (hence even the lack of development) is pretty..... well, random. Listen folks... This chick stole his tablet. She was careless and left the manual laying around. If you don't think that's the scenario then you're naive. I had an iPhone stolen from my house and about 3 months later saw a friend who attended a party at my house using MY phone with the same case and the SAME exact old sticker residue on it. He told me that he bought it from a coworker. I snatched it out of his hands and he just walked away without a word. Haven't seen him in my circle of friends since.

The best that you can do is hope that she messes up and flips wifi on. Or, you can ask her son about a feature that you don't quite understand the next time he's there and then wait for weird looks. If sucks for you because Amazon has now added you to a list of potential thieves. Retailers deal with people saying they never "received"an item all the time and is not always legit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
Personally, I think the OP was quite clear in the order of events. I work as an investigator and an interviewer. The randomness of your roommates son buying the same exact (and very expensive) tablet that most people don't own (hence even the lack of development) is pretty..... well, random. Listen folks... This chick stole his tablet. She was careless and left the manual laying around. If you don't think that's the scenario then you're naive. I had an iPhone stolen from my house and about 3 months later saw a friend who attended a party at my house using MY phone with the same case and the SAME exact old sticker residue on it. He told me that he bought it from a coworker. I snatched it out of his hands and he just walked away without a word. Haven't seen him in my circle of friends since.

The best that you can do is hope that she messes up and flips wifi on. Or, you can ask her son about a feature that you don't quite understand the next time he's there and then wait for weird looks. If sucks for you because Amazon has now added you to a list of potential thieves. Retailers deal with people saying they never "received"an item all the time and is not always legit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app

The funny thing is even after asking her about this mystery device on our network she still left the wifi on even through this morning. After I sent one more email this morning with another screenshot I finally saw it disappear from the device list. Still waiting on a response. She is not very bright to begin with so I don’t think she fully understood that I can see what devices are on the network. I saved the MAC address.

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
So...Why is she still your roommate?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Long story. I am actually moving in 2-3 months, but she doesn't know it yet. I am friends with the landlord of the place and we carefully planned this out. She has been a headache for both of us since she moved in.

She is missing quite a few marbles and on top of it she destroys the house. Within the first week she fell through the bathroom sink while trying to paint. Filleted her leg while standing in the sink(!) and the paramedics had to haul her off. She tried to blame it on the landlord that because there was a crack in the sink she should not have to pay the medical bills. She also managed to break most of the major appliances at least once.

I live with my 6 year old son and I was planning on moving to a bigger place anyways so rather than giving her the boot and risking her retaliating against either my property or his house we decided to just wait until I leave and he will rent the place out to a single family.