[Q] Not your average brick...

Search This thread

kyle8b16

Jun 2, 2014
This post is coming after hours upon hours and days upon days of research, trial, and no success. Hopefully someone can help me out...

I was asked to work on a "bricked Kindle" due to a reputaion among friends and co-workers of being the "go to" guy for rooting, custom ROMs, and the like. I am familiar with adb, fastboot, etc, and have used them often. Even though I didn't know what had happened to this particular Kindle, I was confident I could fix it.

I got it and began investigating. It powered on and FFF 1.4a popped up, followed by the stock Kindle logo where it stayed. I rebooted and used FFF to boot to Recovery, which is TWRP 2.6.3.1. Further checking found that there is no ROM installed, only FFF and TWRP, nothing else. I thought "This will be easy!". Wrong...

I connected it to my Windows 7 PC and ... nothing. Didn't even show as anything being connected at all. Installed drivers, still no luck. ADB doesn't see it either. Tried using 'mount' in TWRP, nope. Then began my trip down the numerous fixit programs KFU, FireKit, ReKindle, etc. Not a thing. Linux doesn't see it either. Like it is not even connected. Even tried the USB Shorting Trick, still wont register on anything, as anything. Bought a Fasboot "Factory" Cable, still nothing. My only hope at this point is the terminal in TWRP. I have successfully run various commands in there, verified the different boot modes with idme. Found that it did change to Fastboot (4002) and back to Normal (4000) when asked. Attempted to use Parted for some investigation but it is difficult to use in that terminal. I did discover that several partitions are screwed up. How to fix them is beyond my expertise. My thought at the moment is to wipe the thing 100%, partitions and all, to see if I can then connect at least with FK or something to reformat and put FFF and TWRP back on (latest versions). Also when looking through the logs in the terminal, it listed failures with an OMAP clock file.

The original owner told me he knew it couldn't be fixed and told me to keep it. I think it is still possible to salvage it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reactions: BrooklynNY

bflobills

Apr 29, 2012
Windham NH
This post is coming after hours upon hours and days upon days of research, trial, and no success. Hopefully someone can help me out...

I was asked to work on a "bricked Kindle" due to a reputaion among friends and co-workers of being the "go to" guy for rooting, custom ROMs, and the like. I am familiar with adb, fastboot, etc, and have used them often. Even though I didn't know what had happened to this particular Kindle, I was confident I could fix it.

I got it and began investigating. It powered on and FFF 1.4a popped up, followed by the stock Kindle logo where it stayed. I rebooted and used FFF to boot to Recovery, which is TWRP 2.6.3.1. Further checking found that there is no ROM installed, only FFF and TWRP, nothing else. I thought "This will be easy!". Wrong...

I connected it to my Windows 7 PC and ... nothing. Didn't even show as anything being connected at all. Installed drivers, still no luck. ADB doesn't see it either. Tried using 'mount' in TWRP, nope. Then began my trip down the numerous fixit programs KFU, FireKit, ReKindle, etc. Not a thing. Linux doesn't see it either. Like it is not even connected. Even tried the USB Shorting Trick, still wont register on anything, as anything. Bought a Fasboot "Factory" Cable, still nothing. My only hope at this point is the terminal in TWRP. I have successfully run various commands in there, verified the different boot modes with idme. Found that it did change to Fastboot (4002) and back to Normal (4000) when asked. Attempted to use Parted for some investigation but it is difficult to use in that terminal. I did discover that several partitions are screwed up. How to fix them is beyond my expertise. My thought at the moment is to wipe the thing 100%, partitions and all, to see if I can then connect at least with FK or something to reformat and put FFF and TWRP back on (latest versions). Also when looking through the logs in the terminal, it listed failures with an OMAP clock file.

The original owner told me he knew it couldn't be fixed and told me to keep it. I think it is still possible to salvage it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

If you want to re-do the partitions and install the very latest bootloader and TWRP +ROM, you should install otterX (1st gen only!!). Follow the steps in this link and you'll be fine.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619

A

androvista

Thanks.

Even people think of me as a 'go to' guy. I love that respect

Sent from my A114 using XDA Free mobile app

kyle8b16

Jun 2, 2014
Wish I could...

If you want to re-do the partitions and install the very latest bootloader and TWRP +ROM, you should install otterX (1st gen only!!). Follow the steps in this link and you'll be fine.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619

I would like to give that a try but the problem is that I cant push anything to the device w/ adb at the moment. No computer, Linux or Windows, will recognize it at all (not even incorrectly). I thought initially that the usb port on the Kindle was bad but I can get it to react differently when it is plugged in vs not. For example, when the fastboot cable is connected it stops at the FFF boot screen as if it is in fastboot, but nothing recognizes it and fastboot doesn't work. When I connect to the computer with a regular cable it will turn the Kindle on and charge it, but no connection. I am still leaning toward it being some kind of software problem on the Kindle.

BklynPypr

Jun 8, 2014
Return2Stock Tool

I would like to give that a try but the problem is that I cant push anything to the device w/ adb at the moment. No computer, Linux or Windows, will recognize it at all (not even incorrectly). I thought initially that the usb port on the Kindle was bad but I can get it to react differently when it is plugged in vs not. For example, when the fastboot cable is connected it stops at the FFF boot screen as if it is in fastboot, but nothing recognizes it and fastboot doesn't work. When I connect to the computer with a regular cable it will turn the Kindle on and charge it, but no connection. I am still leaning toward it being some kind of software problem on the Kindle.

Hi, Noob here but I faced a similar situation to you just last week. The ONLY thing that helped me is a tool known as Return2Stock by N2A. Since I am new, I cannot post outside links but I made a post on reddit in the kindle fire "hot" section titled Bricked Kindle Fire With No Access to TWRP (it's on the first page about halfway down. It describes what I had to do in order to get it working. But it did work! And I tried EVERYTHING. Good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.