[ROM][ODIN]SPH-L720 MF9 (MF9 Modem/Kernel/Bootloader/ROM - No Data Wipe - Rooted)

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
First, a HUGE thanks goes @garwynn for being my partner through all of this and then to @sfhub for teaching me how to create Odin One-Click.exe files and creating the original thread I'm using as a template for this one, @agat63 for helping me get the hang of what sfhub started teaching me, @MoHoGalore for helping test and put together so many of these one-clicks, @crawrj for providing the TAR I used to compile the one-click, and to everyone else in our community who makes this possible!

This Odin One-Click.exe contains a Rooted Stock MF9 ROM, Bootloader, Kernel and Modem for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720).

The only changes to the ROM from the initial build released by Samsung are that root access has been added along with SuperSU and BusyBox.

This will NOT trigger the Yellow Triangle NOR will it increment the Odin flash count.

This one-click resets your whole phone to a rooted stock MF9 experience and it does not wipe user data.

Instructions:
1: Backup anything important and Disable any PINs.
During this process your phone's software will be returned to the Stock setup. All system data will be lost. To be safe, it is best to archive your backup off your phone, ie on your PC or Dropbox.

2: Install Samsung USB/Android drivers (if necessary).
Samsung Drivers Download Link

3: Download the MF9 Stock ROM One-Click.
SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore(compressed archive).exe

4: Unzip One-Click ROM using 7zip (this package is a self-extracting exe you should just be able to double-click on it after download and it will do the rest).

5: Start the Odin One-Click.
Navigate to the location where the SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe was saved upon extract from the 7Zip archive.
Double-click on SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe. *On Vista or newer, you may need to right-click on the file and Run as Administrator.

6: Place phone in Download Mode.
- Power phone completely off.
- Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
- Release the buttons only when the ‘Warning!!’ message appears.
- Press [Volume Up] to enter Download mode.

7: Connect USB cable to PC and phone.
Odin should show a yellow COM port in the second column. If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the Odin One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting Odin One-Click.

8: Start Odin flash process.
Press [Start].

9: Complete - PASS!
Status should change to green PASS! At this point your phone should automatically reboot.

Android Instructions:
Download and install ZArchiver on your phone. Use it to unpack the Odin One-Click 7zip self-extracting exe file (long press on the 7zip exe. Select "Open As Archive". Select the One-Click.exe and then select Extract). Use Mobile Odin to Open File the SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe. FYI - Modem will not flash with Mobile Odin.

The boot process will take slightly longer than usual during which time you'll see the Sprint 4G logo screen.

Congratulations! You've flashed the Rooted No Data Factory Restore MF9 build!

Last edited:

Parnelli98

Nov 29, 2012
Thank you very much!

This might be a crazy question, but do you plan on offering a rooted, data wipe version of this?

Reactions: rwilco12

rwilco12

Thank you very much!

This might be a crazy question, but do you plan on offering a rooted, data wipe version of this?

I should be able to work something out. ;)

Gotta find the time to do it though. This one was easy as Crawrj did the work of building the TAR already. I'll have to either build the TAR or find one that has the data wipe written in.

Reactions: Foulwx

Parnelli98

Nov 29, 2012
I should be able to work something out. ;)

Gotta find the time to do it though. This one was easy as Crawrj did the work of building the TAR already. I'll have to either build the TAR or find one that has the data wipe written in.

No rush! Having a data wipe rooted option makes it easy to do some "spring cleaning" and start fresh if a flashed ROM gives me trouble. Thanks again for both files! I'm a new owner of a GS4, and I'm learning all over again. Had a GS3 for a year and found that to be extremely easy to root/restore and flash. I hope the GS4 is the same!

xshawk

May 1, 2008
San Diego
Status should change to green PASS! At this point your phone should automatically reboot.
The boot process will take slightly longer than usual during which time you'll see the Sprint 4G logo screen.

Odin flash passes, and phone reboots, but never makes it past the solid yellow Sprint screen with the LED pulsing slowly in blue (waited 10min).
unplugged from pc, powered off and rebooted, still hangs
pulled battery, and rebooted, still hangs
powered off, switched to download mode, and re flashed with Odin, same deal...

any suggestions ?

Last edited:

rwilco12

Odin flash passes, and phone reboots, but never makes it past the solid yellow Sprint screen with the LED pulsing slowly in blue (waited 10min).
unplugged from pc, powered off and rebooted, still hangs
pulled battery, and rebooted, still hangs
powered off, switched to download mode, and re flashed with Odin, same deal...

any suggestions ?

Try flashing the full restore from the link below and then retry flashing the rooted no data restore. Could be some incompatible data in your previous build.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485502

Reactions: Spiricore

xshawk

May 1, 2008
San Diego
Try flashing the full restore from the link below and then retry flashing the rooted no data restore. Could be some incompatible data in your previous build.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485502

tried booting to recovery, wiped data, then rebooted phone (without re-flashing from Odin again)
this time it did boot, and I am now waiting for all of the Spring bloatware to finish loading...

looks good so far

Ian

Foulwx

Nov 24, 2011
Allentown, PA
Thanks so much for this guys. I've been busy the last few weeks and didn't see this posted. I've really missed the one-clicks from the S2 days and I'm glad you could come up with these. I'm stuck in a hotel in NOLA with crappy internet and I'm trying to download both the unrooted restore file to wipe my phone, and then I'll run this on top of it.

For anyone who hasn't used these one-clicks before, I highly recommend them. So easy, especially if you want to totally wipe the phone and start from scratch like I do periodically.

Thanks again!

rwilco12

Do you plan to update this with the new 4.3 Sprint ROM releasing today?

I don't have an S4 myself so I have no way to grab the TAR files I need to make it happen. If someone happens to grab the TAR let me know and I'll see what I can do to make it happen. :)

liquid307

Mar 14, 2008
tried booting to recovery, wiped data, then rebooted phone (without re-flashing from Odin again)
this time it did boot, and I am now waiting for all of the Spring bloatware to finish loading...

looks good so far

Ian

After 1-click odin"pass", I was aslo stuck Sprint Yellow animation screen. I booted into stock recovery & wiped data and rebooted as instructed above and phone booted up. Thank You

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, a HUGE thanks goes @garwynn for being my partner through all of this and then to @sfhub for teaching me how to create Odin One-Click.exe files and creating the original thread I'm using as a template for this one, @agat63 for helping me get the hang of what sfhub started teaching me, @MoHoGalore for helping test and put together so many of these one-clicks, @crawrj for providing the TAR I used to compile the one-click, and to everyone else in our community who makes this possible!

This Odin One-Click.exe contains a Rooted Stock MF9 ROM, Bootloader, Kernel and Modem for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720).

The only changes to the ROM from the initial build released by Samsung are that root access has been added along with SuperSU and BusyBox.

This will NOT trigger the Yellow Triangle NOR will it increment the Odin flash count.

This one-click resets your whole phone to a rooted stock MF9 experience and it does not wipe user data.

Instructions:
    1: Backup anything important and Disable any PINs.
    During this process your phone's software will be returned to the Stock setup. All system data will be lost. To be safe, it is best to archive your backup off your phone, ie on your PC or Dropbox.

2: Install Samsung USB/Android drivers (if necessary).
    Samsung Drivers Download Link

3: Download the MF9 Stock ROM One-Click.
    SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore(compressed archive).exe

4: Unzip One-Click ROM using 7zip (this package is a self-extracting exe you should just be able to double-click on it after download and it will do the rest).

5: Start the Odin One-Click.
    Navigate to the location where the SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe was saved upon extract from the 7Zip archive.
    Double-click on SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe. *On Vista or newer, you may need to right-click on the file and Run as Administrator.

6: Place phone in Download Mode.
    - Power phone completely off.
    - Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
    - Release the buttons only when the ‘Warning!!’ message appears.
    - Press [Volume Up] to enter Download mode.

7: Connect USB cable to PC and phone.
    Odin should show a yellow COM port in the second column. If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the Odin One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting Odin One-Click.

8: Start Odin flash process.
    Press [Start].

Android Instructions:
    Download and install ZArchiver on your phone. Use it to unpack the Odin One-Click 7zip self-extracting exe file (long press on the 7zip exe. Select "Open As Archive". Select the One-Click.exe and then select Extract). Use Mobile Odin to Open File the SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore.exe. FYI - Modem will not flash with Mobile Odin.

Sorry I didn't get to this. Things came up over past week. Thanks rwilco12, I'll help get a rooted together if not done this weekend.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Do you plan to update this with the new 4.3 Sprint ROM releasing today?

I don't have an S4 myself so I have no way to grab the TAR files I need to make it happen. If someone happens to grab the TAR let me know and I'll see what I can do to make it happen. :)
    Anyone have a faster download link for this file? "SPH-L720_MF9_Rooted_NoData_Restore"

There are no mirrors. It is expressly forbidden. I'm fairly sure it's in the OP.

Sent from: SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27 / SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

Normally I don't allow mirrors as it cuts into ad revenue and ads are what I use to pay for bandwidth and hosting.

However, I just checked with my hosts and unfortunately they are having issues mitigating a DDOS attack. I'm in the process of switching everything over to my backup server but it will be a while.

In the meantime I've created an authorized mirror where you can find the files you need at http://mirror.rwilco12.com. You should find that right now the download speeds are a lot faster and more reliable.

Sorry for the inconvenience!